Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Holy shit! If you look at his monitor (behind the bird) it looks like they've finally started developing an asset for this game.

Bulo

Scholar
A stone archway? In a fantasy setting? Yawn. Show me something new, Ted, like a storehouse made of steamperhaps the place where a crafty conjuror stows his vapour wares.

cute bird though

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's a stone throne. The archway is just a reference for the material.

Gastrick

Cipher
The grand moment we are still waiting for is when Julian writes his first few lines of code. The modders(they make the assets), Ted and the music writer actually were doing their jobs. That's why it's a hunt to attain a copy of them for when the project finally collapses.

agris

Arcane
Patron
damn those nips are huge

wow.jpg

grimace

Arcane
Daggerfall Spiritual Successor Project (Artists Needed!)
Post by Indigo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 am

EDIT: OCTOBER 19, 2020

As of July 2020, I am no longer associated with this project. Please reach the crew at the Discord we created at:
https://discord.io/CouncilOfWisdom

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980

The call for artists was a success. The amount of fan art created for this conceptual RPG elevator pitch game continues to fill a twitter feed.

Anyone active in their, ahem, discord server?

Daggerfall Spiritual Successor Project (Artists Needed!)
Post by Indigo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 am

EDIT: OCTOBER 19, 2020

As of July 2020, I am no longer associated with this project. Please reach the crew at the Discord we created at:
https://discord.io/CouncilOfWisdom

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980

The call for artists was a success. The amount of fan art created for this conceptual RPG elevator pitch game continues to fill a twitter feed.

Anyone active in their, ahem, discord server?

Feel free to disagree but I think it's a better idea to design some core gameplay loops. Impliment them, and then start thinking about art. I can get the artists to make art around gameplay mechanics quite easily but it is much harder to have some art done and ask a programer/designer "make the game around this idea I had"

Put up or shut up basically, Wayward Realms.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feel free to disagree but I think it's a better idea to design some core gameplay loops. Impliment them, and then start thinking about art. I can get the artists to make art around gameplay mechanics quite easily but it is much harder to have some art done and ask a programer/designer "make the game around this idea I had"

You need both, just not at the final quality or even the final assets. To implement the gameplay mechanics you need to have assets that are both functionally and visually (if you squint hard enough) similar to what will be used, otherwise you're going to end up making mechanics that may not work properly with the assets artists end up making - and at the same time you need to give the artists good specs for the assets they'll make which you can only do if you put your mechanics in action with some assets to see what is actually needed.

There is no "you do this first, then once it is done, you do that" (with "this" and "that" being either art or programming), you need to work at both in parallel.

Obviously for that you need both an artist and a programmer (yes a programmer can probably -though not always, i've seen some horrors- make "programmer art" but his time is better spent writing code and with the artist doing the initial art he'll also know why and how it'll be used by the game/engine and communicate that to other artists that may join later).

Of course that doesn't mean you need all the artists and all the programmers right at the start. A single artist is usually enough both to work with the programmer and to make reusable placeholder art for later use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom