Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more Classic music and latin music(with Choir) in RPG and in Video games in general

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We even have this:

Ancient mesopotamian temple hymn preserved on cuneiform tablets. It took an archaeomusicalist a couple of years to properly read these things, and afaik the notation works kinda like guitar tabs nowadays, with each cuneiform sign corresponding to a string on the lute you're supposed to pluck. Of course some liberal interpretation of the existing source material is necessary when translating it into modern notation, but the source material exists and researchers found out how to read it, so we can emulate ancient music relatively accurately. It sounds very, very different from what modern ancient/medieval/fantasy music sounds like.

As for instruments, we also know pretty well which kinds of instruments existed in the past due to textual evidence, remains of actual instruments (as grave goods, for example) and artwork (stone reliefs, vase paintings, etc).

Check out this website for more detailed stuff on reconstructions of medieval music:

https://earlymusicmuse.com/

The guy running the site made a pretty great and accurate version of Miri it is:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Recently, i was listening the Arcanum's soundtrack (Bloodborne soundtrack too )and i was stunned by how amazing it sounded. I have never listened to something like that in video games before , it so melancholic(Arcanum) or intense (like in Bloodborne), it tells so much emotions to the player when you play. Why no other gaming companies order to musicians to make such soundtrack in RPG and in video games ?
Of course i understand it has to fit to the context of the game but there is such a wasted potential with the lack of music like this in games.
https://youtu.be/NlQcKBUcgmA
https://youtu.be/ftvpi-6Z6qw
https://youtu.be/ICSk8-pJkX8

Edit: i forgot Civ5's soundtrack
https://youtu.be/QJ_YUJ4vXvA
https://youtu.be/WQYN2P3E06s
of course ancient music too.
LoL talking about good choir and classical music and put up shit like civ5 and bloodborn. We need more epic shit like this:

Or thematic like this:

Also Enderal does have a better sountrack than most AAA generic garbage like the shit you posted.

One my favourite modern composers is Antti Martikainen,i believe he even made some songs for a EU4 mods,here is an example:

For epic choir,i am yet to find something more epic than audiomachine's terminus!

As answer to your question....well most of RPG this days are made by a few men in the eastern block. The rest are made by dumb kwanza cuck that could recognize a good ost even if it fucks their wife in front of them.

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

My comment is a bit late because i wanted to listen and re-listen( and discover every emotions told in them ) to every soundtrack that you guys have posted.
I do not agree with everything( on bloodborne's osts essentially )on your post but i do respect it. You have good tastes in term of music and myself i admit that games are constantly full of epic shit soundtracks. In term of classic music, i prefer something like Arcanum. It is the BEST exemple of classic musics done right in games and i have not found one game with musics masterfully done like in Arcanum.
As answer to your question....well most of RPG this days are made by a few men in the eastern block. The rest are made by dumb kwanza cuck that could recognize a good ost even if it fucks their wife in front of them.
I suppose, video games are like TV,politics. You have to go through tons of shit to discover a perl or gem.

Silly Germans

HoMM 3 OST is great, the Necropolis theme is one of the best.

I am not a big fan of choirs in game soundtracks, they typically don't mesh
well with active game play unless they are very low-key.

A classic/epic OST can actually be good by itself but suck in combination with
a game. Pillars I/II OST is actually decent to listen too, but doesn't work well
with the game in my opinion. I can enjoy it when i am reading but it doesn't
set the right mood for a rpg. It's hard to single out the problem but i guess it's
to "slow" and has to many build ups that take to long. The dynamics of the game
and the soundtracks just don't fit there. This is something the BG II soundtrack
does much better.

Casual Hero

Augur
Oh, heck yeah man. I would love a medieval RPG with proper setting and music. Skyrim does have a good atmosphere with it's Jeremy Soule airy sounding ost, but I need more lutes and crumhorns.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Some Dungeon music + Art:

Spntush.png

erTNKKs.png

Hm35J2b.jpg

5MVosRt.jpg

Favourite track:

IvKTXzX.jpg

Last edited:

Duralux for Durabux

Favourite track:

I like this one too ,very peaceful and calm with a mysterious tone attached to it. Every music notes are good to hear, good recommendation. I like the fact that the rythm is part of the music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Well problem is hiring a good orchestra to do this is either heaven or hell. You got either a bunch of amateurs or even musicians inside the dev studio that try their best or you got actual orchestras but only AAA studios have the funds to hire then.
Choirs at least if you got good contacts with the catholic church it should be affordable.
Troika weren't rich and even with a tiny budget and one Artist(Ben Houge) they succeeded to deliver a wonderful soundtrack.

Yes you can do clever things with classical music without the big budget but it should be recognized that there is a big difference between using four string players (rank and file not principal players) from the Seattle Symphony Orchestra but probably outside the contractual restraints of that organization (You have to dig to find out who did the playing) and using a full orchestra (plus a choir) and their name with all their players.

My sister was with the London Symphony Orchestra when they recorded the music for Star Wars Battlefront 2; no rehearsals, I believe they were given the music the day before (was not altogether easy to play) and they recorded the whole lot in less than three hours no retakes to save costs down to the bare minimum - I think if I recall correctly she still gets royalties for this, which (if you add up the number of players) would be still be a significant cost to the producers. Bethesda with their games can bear the cost of actual symphonic recordings, so can Square Enix on their AAA games, but others have to do other things.

I think some of the smaller companies use a number of tricks - when you listen to the symphonic tracks on say a Falcom game, I am pretty sure most (if not all) of the symphonic instruments are synthesized- say listen to:

Pretty sure everything there is synthesized.

But when you need actual performers to do things that are not easily synthesized, you go and get those players/singers, for example the choir singing actual lyrics in the opening of this is most likely a real choir (though I don't think any more than 8 singers, maybe only four) but the rest (eg. the strings) are all synthesized:

And in this version of Unfathomed Force clearly the violin at 0:33 is an actual player (very hard to synth those portamentos), whereas I am guessing the singing this time (and everything else) is synthesized:

I think this means that you can ensure that you are investing most of the music budget into the composition (eg. the composer).

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Although it's not classical, I found the music of Age of Decandece particularly well done. Very nice mix of ambient music with some orchestral elements, and quite a few Middle Eastern influences. We need more game music like this, I'm sick and tired of the "epic orchestral" cliche...

user

Savant
None has posted this?
rating_prestigious.png

(in-game)

Perfection:

Also Nobuo Uematsu is definitely one of the great ones

Last edited:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Lutes, flutes, harps and harpsichords (and sometimes trumpets & tubas) are the secret sauce of good fantasy music.

WoW has a great soundtrack in general. Regardless of what the game has become. I still listen to the music of the newer expansions, even though I never played them.
They noticably toned down the choir after cataclysm - which was probably a good idea, cause at the time (2008-2010) a lot of other companies jumped on that bandwagon and it got old real fast.
Some did a good job though, like Age of Conan. Funcom actually got quite proficient at aping Basil Poledouris' style. Especially lately.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I hate the mandatory epic orchestral themes of high fantasy RPGs. I rather would like a RPG with the soundtrack from the opus of György Ligeti.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I hate the mandatory epic orchestral themes of high fantasy RPGs. I rather would like a RPG with the soundtrack from the opus of György Ligeti.

And here comes the retardation.

Imagine playing the prologue in Icewind Dale to this fucking shit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom