Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Another literally who beardfat who doesn't know shit about Fallout AND doesn't even play the mod himself. Absolutely pathetic.

There are no good videos about the mod itself other than that one Rimmy made and the series by Four Decent Friends. Everything else is about HURR DURR INTERNET DRAMA by people who have no idea what is even going on.

Zer0wing

Cipher
great graphics, but everything else is pretty bad.
I played it in russian.

Can you give some details?
I can not find any information about its contents.
Olympus 2207 is a Fallout 2 engine total conversion. Unlike Resurrection/Nevada/Sonora, Olympus is set in a new homebrew postapoc setting, inspired by Fallout (mostly 2 and 3).

Similarly to The Frontier, Olympus shines in the technical department - it has a tons of new art assets and new content. Reskinned hud, new characters, new talking heads, new weapons, new enemies, etc. Pretty much everything is either brand new or was touched, even the common stuff like sand/rock tiles were remade to fit the new art style. The game also has a bunch of new mechanics, such as radiation management and crafting.

However, just like The Frontier, Olympus fails at the story, writing and gamedesign. Their homebrew setting is a boring and uninspired Fallout copy (complete with their own variant of brahmins, renamed ghouls, raiders, Vault City, Enclave, etc). Main story is basically a mix of Fo3, Fo2 and "Elysium" (the film) - just like in Fo3, you play the prologue as a little kid, then your character grows up and leaves the vault while under fire by guards. After that you find out that your vault was just a lower level of a huge tower (titular Olympus), and your main mission is to find the cure for your father (who's still at the vault and is dying of radiation sickness) and then get to the top level of Olympus where all the rich folk lives.

Now, the Fallout was never about some great story, it was always about having an agency and solving quests your own way. And Olympus utterly sucks at quest design. Couple of examples - during the prologue one of your quests is to beat up a local bully. The problem is that he's fucking tough and will murder you in just three turns, and the only way to beat him is to use cheese tactics. Remember how in Fo1 you had one location on your map (Vault 15), and while travelling there you organically stumble upon Shady Sands? Well in Olympus the world map makes little sense from gamedesign standpoint, and it is very easy to go miss the intended first city and die in the endgame location. Most of the side quests are either lazy fedex crap like "bring me 6 apples", or complicated fedex crap where people ask you to find some common rubbish, but this rubbish is for some reason a unique item (for example, in the first city you're tasked to find a toilet plunger, but there are only two plungers in the entire game and both are hidden half the world away). The main quest is badly designed too, and can be easily softlocked. At a certain point in order to progress futher you must find a ton of specific items, but since the intended progression is so entangled and non-obvious, it is very easy to find those items before you know they are needed for the main quest. Thankfully the game marks quest items with * in the description, but this creates another problem - you can't drop them, and it's a fucking nightmare to lug all this heavy garbage in your inventory especially if you have low STR.

The combat and build variety suck too, the balance is fucked so sometimes you're a god and sometimes you get killed in one hit. The game has a ton of new guns, but there is no weapon progression and like 90% of them have similar stats and are here just so the devs could brag about "dozens of new weapons!". What's worse, is that each gun has its own type of ammo, and each type of ammo has three subtypes (jury-rigged, prewar, armor piercing, etc), and each subtype of ammo has an entirely different icon - good luck managing your inventory. The aforementioned crafting system is halfbaked and just pads out your inventory with empty bottles, spoons and other junk.
It's not without its problems but compared to Frontier and Faggot 3 it's a masterpiece. And has it's moments, like when you actually side with Olympus tower staff (don't remember faction's name sry) on some occasions to do some quests. The cannibal tribe extermination is a satisfying one, for sure. By no means I'm going to defend the decision and execution of this part but the game is planned to be an open-world exploration title without defined main quest beyond finding a cure for player character's dad, so it's poorly executed on purpose. In practice the game expects you to skyrim all the guilds into submitting your character as a leader of all of them.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shakespearean writing.

VvTwk1P.png

Am I the only one triggered by the enclave being described as paramilitary? They aren't paramilitary, they just have a millitary.

The person who wrote that line clearly doesn't know what paramilitary means. They just knows that it is associated with the Nazis in some way (since the Nazis did have a paramilitary organization, the SA), and assumes that therefore paramilitary must be some kind of bad word.

Even though paramilitary is a pretty neutral term. Bad groups, such as drug cartels gunmen and political party's private militias, can be described as paramilitary but most country's national law enforcement organizations are also paramility. Paramilitary just mean a group that is organized and equipped similar to a military, even though it isn't primarily a military organization or officially part of the nations armed forces.

The Police are nazis too they martyred Saint George of Fenatyl you racist fascist objectively evil Trump supporter.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
It's not all bad, I think many valuable lessons can be learned form this. Perhaps this will prevent other fan mods from sucking. Just because you're a fan and put a lot of effort doesnt' mean the output will be good. On the other hand, I feel really sorry for all the other departments. I took a look at it and it had some really talented people working on it.

So glad I didn't become invested in this. Barely knew of its existence.

I just hope the Gothic 2 fan expansions won't share the same fate...
Gothic 2 fan expansions? Those are a thing?

Chronicles of Myrtana and History of Khorinis

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried California ages ago but did not went enclave path and got saddled with bunch of teen angsty teens so thought that New California must be shyte...
Now Imagine Commissar shock you can actually shoot all those profligates instead:

This is so much better mod than Frontier was it seems, God Bless Enclave. :hero:

Am I the only one triggered by the enclave being described as paramilitary? They aren't paramilitary, they just have a millitary.
Probably because of the impression that they're not the "real" army, but an organized group of armed people like the BoS...except it is "a" real army since the Enclave is an...enclave, so they're an independent state inside the US, like the Vatican to Italy.

nobody tell them what the word means though because it's funnier this way.

Last edited:

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
so have any of you read the 114 part ghoul rape fanfiction yet?
I did. I read chapter 70 which is where the really bad rape scene happened and it was awful. It came off like the chick who wrote it was orgasming the whole time while writing something that should be considered horrific. You could easily tell that she is fucked up in the head when reading that chapter.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I did. I read chapter 70 which is where the really bad rape scene happened and it was awful. It came off like the chick who wrote it was orgasming the whole time while writing something that should be considered horrific. You could easily tell that she is fucked up in the head when reading that chapter.

It took you 70 pages to figure out someone who writes ghoul rape fanfiction is mentally disturbed?

RangerBoo

Arcane

It took you 70 pages to figure out someone who writes ghoul rape fanfiction is mentally disturbed?
No, /v/ stated that the bad rape scene was on chapter 70 so I went ahead and read only that chapter. Big mistake.
:negative:

purupuru

Learned
So I read that chapter out of curiosity...And there wasn't even really a rape scene, poor ghoul was all bark and no bite and apparently has to follow Burke's orders to the letter for some reason.
I am disappointed, codex.:rpgcodex:I was expecting some action, not
WARNING: ATTEMPTED NON-CON
Oh, and now I recall it's Fallout 3 so ghouls are really just niggers, the whole thing gets even lamer.

RangerBoo

Arcane
So, /v/ did some digging and found out that the lead dev, Tgspy, is friends with two cub diaper fur fags on the Nexus who also have Ink Bunny accounts like Zu. Also according to /v/ these two guys are super degenerates so look them up at your own risk. The rabbit hole of degeneracy just keeps going deeper with this mod. Everyone who was a dev or a writer for this mod should be put on a sex offenders list.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom