Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace is an upcoming Lovecraftian investigation RPG with turn-based combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace; Artefacts Studio; Asmodee Digital

Back in 2018, digital tabletop game publisher Asmodee Digital announced that they were producing a game called Mansions of Madness: Mother's Embrace, a videogame adaptation of the of the 2011 Lovecraftian tabletop strategy game Mansions of Madness. That story seemed to have come to a premature end when developer LuckyHammers was forced to shut down in 2019, after having made a bad bet on a partnership with failed publisher Starbreeze. However, Asmodee weren't done with the property and back in October it resurfaced as Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace, an "investigation game with turn-based combat" inspired by the older board game Arkham Horror. Notably, Arkham Horror's developer is Artefacts Studio, creators of last year's well-received The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk. Yesterday Asmodee released a new gameplay trailer where they outright described the game as an RPG, which means it's definitely time for a newspost. Here's the trailer and accompanying press release:

PARIS - February 3, 2021 - Asmodee Digital, a leader in video game entertainment inspired by board games, today unveiled gameplay in a new trailer for the awaited Arkham Horror: Mother’s Embrace, the upcoming narrative-driven tactical RPG based on the award-winning Lovecraftian adventure board game. Arkham Horror: Mother’s Embrace is set to be released Q1 2021 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (Steam) and Nintendo Switch for the retail price of $19.99 / 19,99 €. Asmodee Digital has released a new gameplay trailer available here.

This first gameplay trailer showcases how the tactical RPG gameplay of the beloved board game combines with the deep narrative and intrepid characters of the Arkham Horror universe to create a new gameplay experience rich with mysteries to uncover and monsters to fight.

The year is 1926, and a professor of astronomy is found dead in her mansion, the apparent victim of a heinous murder. Players must pick from 12 of the most iconic protagonists from the Arkham Horror universe, each with a unique skill set, and assemble a team of investigators to uncover the secrets behind this mysterious death.

As investigators face off against Lovecraftian horrors, they will descend deeper into the depths of madness, affecting their level of sanity and causing traumas that will impact the course of their investigation. Along with facing curious science, living nightmares and a sinister cult, players will combat an array of enemies in turn-based combat, all while attempting to retain their sanity. Developed by Artefacts Studio and featuring an original story, Arkham Horror: Mother’s Embrace plunges players into the engrossing pulp world of 1920s America to combat unseen supernatural and psychological horrors true to the Lovecraftian spirit.

Care about your sanity and make the right choices… the Ancient Ones are preparing their return.

Madness begins when reality departs.​

The release date can't be far off. More details are available on the game's Steam page.

Lasagna42

Novice
Sounds interesting - I'll definitely check it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones? I gave it a shot (briefly); I liked what I played, but it wasn't entirely grabbing me so I put it down. Is it worth trying again?

Intriguing. I didn't know about this. Jumps away from showing too much combat, but which is mildly concerning. Look forward to watching some reviews.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Does anyone have any thoughts about Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones? I gave it a shot (briefly); I liked what I played, but it wasn't entirely grabbing me so I put it down. Is it worth trying again?
I'm told that the bulk of the good content is at the start of the game and the ending was a bit of a copout. If you're not grabbed already best steer clear of it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Stygian had some brilliant branching in the early game, but you can tell that's where most of the effort went and waned later.

It also had a lot of frustrating mechanics and systems. I really wasn't a fan of you being penalised for succeeding at combat with sanity loss.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I'm a big fan of Arkham Horror the card game, I know this won't win any rpg awards but I hope it's at least decent.
Sadly, it seems games developed by Asmodee Digital are pretty mediocre.

Lasagna42

Novice
Thanks everyone - I kind of got the vague feeling that there wasn't going to be a decent payoff to the opaque systems and mysterious goings-on. I mean, you hope that they're going somewhere, but I didn't really get the vibe. I'm taking it off of my "replay" list

Ulysa

Scholar
I'm a big fan of Arkham Horror the card game, I know this won't win any rpg awards but I hope it's at least decent.
Sadly, it seems games developed by Asmodee Digital are pretty mediocre.
I've never played the cards one, but I love the tabletop game. There's one interest "RPG" aspect: the special abilities each character has according to their professions , if they can translate that it could be fun, plus all the art and lore is extremely immersive. But if it ends up being just a turn based game focusing on battles... meh.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't let the presence of combat fool you - Mansions of Madness was/is an excellent board game about investigation, time management, and yes, survival; perfectly suited to be "ported" to a video game. Will follow with great interest.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really wishing for a decent Call of Cuthulu cRPG, gonna pay attention on this one but I really didnt like their art style, too colourful and the low poly models and low frame animations are made very noticeable by their choice in camera positions, Stygian had a much better art style, I just hope that they at least do Call of Cutthulu right. A Call of Cuthulhu game where you dont feel a real risk of party wiping isnt satisfying.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really wishing for a decent Call of Cuthulu cRPG, gonna pay attention on this one but I really didnt like their art style, too colourful and the low poly models and low frame animations are made very noticeable by their choice in camera positions, Stygian had a much better art style, I just hope that they at least do Call of Cutthulu right. A Call of Cuthulhu game where you dont feel a real risk of party wiping isnt satisfying.
Obv I can't speak for this particular game, but the tabletop games were super harsh. Two or three friends and I trying a co-op scenario would often end the evening with a loss.

Zombra

Patron
I mean look at this for chrissake, this is one of the "final boss" cards you can get by random draw if you take too long to fulfill your objectives in Arkham Horror:

AHC35_346.jpg

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
As some people have stated, if anyone wants to know what a lovecraftian setting looks like, just check the real world from 2020 onward.
Some cultists of Hastur used to wear a "pallid mask" on their face as a sign of their faith. Makes one wonder...

EBT-L-FRIPROTEST-0606-7.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The trailer lacks that specific menacing vibe.

All these games claim to be Lovecraftian, but none of them evoke dread. Instead you have this stupid meta of soft comic book look which makes everything seem more light hearted than it is. I havent played a game with a Lovecraftian vibe since Clive Barkers Undying and Dark Corners of the Earth.

Reader

Scholar
you have this stupid meta of soft comic book look which makes everything seem more light hearted than it is.
Yeah. I don't know why they keep doing like that. Maybe they are afraid that some little Joe will get depressed by the real thing and will go nuts.
Dark Corners of the Earth
I miss this game so much. Gonna check Clive Barker's Undying since you mentioned it in one sentence.
Also imagine light hearted Pinhead..

curds

Magister
The trailer lacks that specific menacing vibe.

All these games claim to be Lovecraftian, but none of them evoke dread. Instead you have this stupid meta of soft comic book look which makes everything seem more light hearted than it is. I havent played a game with a Lovecraftian vibe since Clive Barkers Undying and Dark Corners of the Earth.
"Lovecraftian" is just a buzzword indie devs love to use because people like this:
Open-Mouth-Soy-Boy.png
lap that shit up.

Vatnik Wumao
It's almost impossible to translate Lovecraftian horror into a visual format. Besides fishmen and a few more 'low level' creatures, most of Lovecraft's otherworldly beings are by their very nature supposed to be incomprehensible to the human mind. So what we get instead are shitty horror and/or detective games with Victorian aesthetics and goofy monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom