Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not early in the game. Even in heavy armor there are things that still can hit you for more than your max hp.

Surely that depends on your constitution? I'm in Region 2 now and with a mix of heavy and light stuff I've not found anything so far that could one-shot me from even 2/3 HP. Some of the 'red mist' attacks take a lot off if you let them hit you but nothing unmanageable. I'm following my similar build to Nioh 1 so far, taking most stats up to 9/10 and then concentrating on whatever my main weapon is going to be, (probably Magic for Switchglaive) with a mix of Con and Sta. So far it seems a bit easier than Nioh but that might just be all my Nioh 1 hours.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've not found anything so far that could one-shot me from even 2/3 HP.
Odachi samurai.

/Shrug. Might not have been hit by one of them then.

Seeing quite a few gripes about the Snake boss from mission 3, but compared to Hino-Enma I thought it was pretty straightforward. Did use a blue phantom though I must admit, but I don't think it did much apart from distract the boss for a bit. Changing into Yokai form did all the real damage along with the free hits when he started wiggling his tentacles in the ground.

So far the one thing I am missing from Nioh 1 is William and his quest to free his spirit from the clutches of Kelley. I know we don't play Nioh for the story, but so far there really isn't one. 'Monkey dude says we go here' is about the limit of it. If I wasn't reading the lore in the Hut I'd not have known anything about WTF is going on. The protagonist has all the personality of a rock up to this point.

Reinhardt

Arcane
/Shrug. Might not have been hit by one of them then.
They are manageable most of the time. But sometimes they go full retard. Caught 1500+ damage from single hit once. Had ~1400 max at this point.
+ what i've mentioned earlier - bomb from red ghost one-shotted me too.

Hyperion

Arcane
Revenants are not well balanced, and a poor judge of enemy. By the time you get to Dream of the Wise they're so strong they aren't worth fighting. On Dream of the Nioh, an axe phantom hit me for ~8k in full tank setup.

Simple Odachi-wielding Samurai are amongst the most aggravating enemies in the game. They have enough stamina to block for days, and can interrupt you mid-combo with a Groundquake that will hit for 3k on a tank build.

Snek is the filter boss of Nioh 2, similar to Hino Enma, but if you slap on an Odachi and use High Stance attacks, you can mitigate some of the pain. The big overhead slices hit his weak point repeatedly. Also you can get additional Elixirs and Antidotes as drops during the fight to take some pressure off healing limitations.

I prefer to dodge behind Snake girls when they glow red since it's often hard to determine if it's the petrifying glare or tail slam in time to counter the latter.

Books of Reincarnation can be bought from the store infinitely, but go up in price every time you buy one, to a maximum of 1 mil Yen each. It sounds like a lot, but money is worthless in this game (something that'll be repeated frequently....) so don't worry about using the books you get from missions across all difficulties.

Heavy armor is....heavy, and weight reduction is no longer a thing. You can get a stat that ups your total weight capacity by 2 units, but it's specific to only the chest slot which is more or less useless. Also keep in mind, as you level your armor's +value on Dream of the Strong and beyond, the weight increases. Had a few instances where I went above 70% and my stamina kept draining....

Oh, and fists are the best weapon in the game, and have outclassed Tonfa entirely. Claws count as slashing weapons and don't take the 20% damage hit like other blunt weapons (hammer, tonfa, fists, and wooden weapons).

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yay! At last human boss! Easiest one, so far. Killed him on first try. His red attacks are so easy to counter. Now i'm wearing his armor set. Looks cool.
Spent all day playing nioh.

catchaser

Savant
Easiest one, so far.

Strange, a far as I remember human/humanoid bosses were the hardest one in first game
Expect for that 1v1 duel at the begining they were all piss easy. Especially with tonfas which are broken AF. Spam them till they run out of stamina, do the stun attack for massive damage and by the time they're up your stamina bar is pretty much full again. Tonfas should be forbidden.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
After some side-missions detours, I got to the 3rd mission anticipating the dreaded snakes.
And yes their tail-spin attack got me by surprise first time.
But it turned out slithering biatches can't do anything against odachi block.
So the way I've been cutting them is wait till they fail their tailspin, or venop spit against my block and then slice them in half.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I powered through the first mission after getting some rest. It wasn't too bad, But I came back into it again to grab some more equipment before proceeding and just started getting wrecked. On the bright side, I think I'm starting to get the hang of the counters a little bit.

If you kill the horsey at the beginning, do you still have to fight the final boss? Or are they different demons?

Jinn

Arcane
I think I'm starting to get the hang of the counters a little bit.

The game is ultimately easier than Nioh 1 because of Burst Counters. Learn how to use them and you're going to have a much smoother time.

If you kill the horsey at the beginning, do you still have to fight the final boss? Or are they different demons?

No, it's just a fun little extra thing you can do. As it repeatedly tells you while you're fighting him "You don't have to fight every enemy you meet" or something along those lines.

Now don't get me wrong, the game is easier than Nioh 1 so far for me (22 hours in) because of things like Burst Counters, but that's how you should do difficulty. These are things that make your time easier based on your willingness and ability to learn them. They removed things like steamrolling with spirit summons in favor of putting the difficulty in the hands of the player's reflexes and adaptability. And goddamn, this has got to be the best game ever made at making you feel like a total badass once you've started to master your chosen weapons, character build, etc. Such an absolute joy to play.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Easiest one, so far.

Strange, a far as I remember human/humanoid bosses were the hardest one in first game
AKO1b6o.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
Gozuki is a bull, thus the headfirst gore.
Mezuki is a horse, thus the kick to the teeth if you're behind him.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its been a long time since I've seen such a lazy port. Dark Souls 1 pre-patching maybe? Though personally I've had less issues with that.
Actually Nioh 1 was far less problematic.

Defaults to resolution 2560x1440. Doesn't offer the resolution of my monitor (1920x1200), doesn't really even respond to attempts to change graphics settings in menu, runs only in Borderless Window (kinda sucks in 1920x1080, with Windows icon rows below and above rendered area). Most attempts to fiddle with the config file and, for example, change to proper resolution or make it run fullscreen cause a reset to default settings - and 2560x1440 borderless.
Touching various other settings in the config often also triggers a reset to defaults.

Kinda appears to be a little faster then Nioh 1, which isn't great for me. Also the camera appears more zoomed out which, while might be beneficial for gameplay, kinda gives it a more arcade/platformer look.

Lets investigate further. But its the worst first contact I've had with a game in years.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its been a long time since I've seen such a lazy port. Dark Souls 1 pre-patching maybe? Though personally I've had less issues with that.
Actually Nioh 1 was far less problematic.

Defaults to resolution 2560x1440. Doesn't offer the resolution of my monitor (1920x1200), doesn't really even respond to attempts to change graphics settings in menu, runs only in Borderless Window (kinda sucks in 1920x1080, with Windows icon rows below and above rendered area). Most attempts to fiddle with the config file and, for example, change to proper resolution or make it run fullscreen cause a reset to default settings - and 2560x1440 borderless.
Touching various other settings in the config often also triggers a reset to defaults.

Kinda appears to be a little faster then Nioh 1, which isn't great for me. Also the camera appears more zoomed out which, while might be beneficial for gameplay, kinda gives it a more arcade/platformer look.

Lets investigate further. But its the worst first contact I've had with a game in years.

I had resolution problems, the game was outputting in some strange resolution on my two monitor setup, filling one quarter of a screen and half the other, but I was able to configure it by manually editing the config XML file.

If that still doesn't work for you, try this: https://github.com/Filoppi/Nioh2Resolution

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, still can't change graphics settings within game. But at least config.xml edits stopped resetting to defaults for some reason, so I can finally play Fullscreen, with 100% rendering resolution (default was 70% ...WTF?).

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1325200/view/3051721340907125629

Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition: About future updates

Thanks to everyone who purchased Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition.

We have heard your comments over the past few days about various issues found inside the game. We are taking all of your messages into account and are actively working on several updates planned to release during February and March to fix these issues.

The content of the upcoming updates include:
- Several bug fixes
- Improvement of the performance of the game via the integration of DLSS
- The addition of keyboard & mouse prompts

Thank you for supporting the Nioh series!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1325200/view/3053973586352414988

Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition: Bug Fixes 1

Thank you for playing Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition.

Two issues reported to us have now been fixed:
  • Fixed an issue where there would sometimes be no sound in-game depending on the user's PC environment.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash during the cut scene before the first boss.
For any users that experienced this problem, please restart your game as an important file will be installed in order to correct these issues.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1325200/view/3051721340907125629

Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition: About future updates

Thanks to everyone who purchased Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition.

We have heard your comments over the past few days about various issues found inside the game. We are taking all of your messages into account and are actively working on several updates planned to release during February and March to fix these issues.

The content of the upcoming updates include:
- Several bug fixes
- Improvement of the performance of the game via the integration of DLSS
- The addition of keyboard & mouse prompts

Thank you for supporting the Nioh series!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1325200/view/3053973586352414988

Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition: Bug Fixes 1

Thank you for playing Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition.

Two issues reported to us have now been fixed:
  • Fixed an issue where there would sometimes be no sound in-game depending on the user's PC environment.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash during the cut scene before the first boss.
For any users that experienced this problem, please restart your game as an important file will be installed in order to correct these issues.
Only 2 bugs I've experienced were a crash to desktop everytime I use the "help" function in the temper menu, and the game sometimes shooting my GPU usage to 99% and locking to 30fps seemingly at random, which I can fix with a tab out/tab in. Hope these get fixed, even though, this being Koei Temco, I'm 99% sure they won't.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm tired of running at ~90%. Will restart fist mission and try something lighter in safety.

ADL

Prophet
I stopped playing like a little bitch, went on the offensive and wrecked the horseman. Think I finally 'get it'. Forgot how to play since it's been so long since the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom