Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the Greatest Rpg that you have ever actually played

What is the Greatest Rpg series that you have ever actually played ?

• Fallout 1 & Fallout 2

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Elder Scrolls Morrowind , Daggerfall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy series

• BG1 , BG2 , throne of baal

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • IWD 1 , 2

• Other series

• U aRe all noobs Diablo 1 ,2 rulez !

• I don't know

• None.All RPG suck .

• Total voters

morenoise

Novice
Azael said:
Fallout is the best CRPG I've ever played. The first time I talked the Master into commiting suicide is still one of my fondest memories from gaming.
But my dear Master died in vain.
In FOT, mutants will be able to breed.
Why should he end his life instead of making a patch to fix that bag.
It is the BIOs who ought to be in hell!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
morenoise said:

Fallout Tactics was utter crap. Mutants are sterile, it's canon. However, they live for a long, long, long time, which is nice.

Orlon

Novice
well im new, sorta some of you know me. Anyway I have to say fallout is by far the best i have ever played. In a REAL close second is Arcanum and the only reason i like fallout better is cause of the settings and the lack of magic. I think magic is over rated and too generic. I also loved Betrayal at Krondor which lead me to purchase all of Raymond E. Fliest's books i could find. Still looking foward to more. I reacon ill stay away from NWN and anything by in the IE field. Alright Im done

Morgan

Novice
Hey, I think the Best RPG in which I played is 'The Gates' my construction, it based on Fusion set, but its non-computer game. But its the Best.
And if I can say this, I think that the best comp. RPG is the Final Fantasy series, and the real one is the Final Fantasy VIII, with prototype of Camui Gackt, which is the Best J-rock singer...
Morgan from Russia.

Tam

Novice
Best RPG? That just happens to be Squaresoft's finest hour.

And I don't mean ANY of the Final Fantasy numbered games, like FFI to FFIX.
And god forbid any thought of Final Fantasy VIII, which nearly hamstrung my second favourite game, of which more later. Back on topic.

I am, of course, referring to 8) Vagrant Story. 8)
Plot, characterisation, script, localisation of dialogue, (translating the original Japanese to a needle sharp version of old English without making it seem cheesy or overblown.), graphics - imho the best ever use of the original Playstation One architechture - even though it looked very brown and muddy at times, this suited the story - for nothing about the game was clearcut. Throw in complex yet believable motivations for almost everybody you see (and in most cases, kill), and the fact that years after completing the game for the first time I am still not sure whether or not I spent fifty hours or so in the sandals of a child killer, with only the clues given in the script and the perfectly timed cutscenes, none of which were the cheesy FMV just there for the sake of it crap which pervades a lot of rpgs out there on most formats, but game-engine driven perfection. Anything you see in the cutscenes, like a handy weapons crate or save point, is going to be there when the scene ends, ready to be used. Name another game which manages that trick?

I haven't yet mentioned one of the most fun elements of the game, the ability to customize your own weapons and armour, just like Pokemon for grown ups (gotta forge them all) . I have read posts on message boards from people who since the game first came out have been on a quest to find and forge the best weapons and armour in any rpg, the full Damascus Plate and swords. Axes. Spears. Glaives. Crossbows. With affinities of 100 in every element. Impossible? No, not quite. Just slightly more difficult than making diamond rings out of the graphite of a pencil. Then there is the ranking system, a bit like Metal Gear Solid's, only harder to get higher places on. As a quick example, Ruler of the Fallen City. All you have to do to get that one is to finish it in under ten hours. My best time is thirty seven. Your average newbie takes seventy.

And it is all on one little disk.

Just one, not the five disk monstrosity, in size if nothing else, of Baldur's Gate, which is a close contemporary.

Oh hell, just play the game. Call me a liar if you hate it, but, for Gawds sakes play it.
See if you like Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights as much then.

And my second favourite rpg of all time?

Xenogears - (whose budget for a decent second disk was swallowed by that papa oscar sierra Final Fantasy VIII).

Favourite moments in that one?

Killing God. :twisted: Seeing one of the best condemnations of the whole idea of organised religion and fascism, and the links between them in any media.
Taking charge of bravo foxtrot oscar Gears.
Killing God. :twisted:
Spotting references to a lot of well known, and less well known Sci Fi films.
Killing God.
:twisted:

The only game that comes as close in sheer fun so far this year is Divine Divinity.
Last year I worked through most of the Black Isle/Bioware canon, minus BG one,
but looking back I enjoyed Vagrant Story a lot more.

Well, b bye for now.
Tam

ecliptic

Liturgist
Aggggh! Xenogears spoilerrrrrrrr! I'm playing that game man, have some decency.

shyha

Novice
My cRPG ever was (and still is) Eye Of Beholder series - great classics :)
very hard, and very long.... a bit monothonic, but I like them much!

Lord Warrior

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
morenoise said:

Fallout Tactics was utter crap. Mutants are sterile, it's canon. However, they live for a long, long, long time, which is nice.

As a continuation of series and storyline, it is utter crap.
As tactical game it is very good.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lord Warrior said:
As tactical game it is very good.

Please explain how it was very good? All you had to do is set your squad on Aggressive and inch them around the map in CTB. I'd hardly call that tactical at all.

I think the best example of the lack of tactical requirements in Fallout Tactics is shown by Mission 8, once you got the sniper rifle. All you had to do was move around the perimeter of the supermutant stronghold on aggressive and you could wipe out the whole thing with one character and that sniper rifle.

Psilon

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I think the best example of the lack of tactical requirements in Fallout Tactics is shown by Mission 8, once you got the sniper rifle. All you had to do was move around the perimeter of the supermutant stronghold on aggressive and you could wipe out the whole thing with one character and that sniper rifle.

Or the Browning M2, a gun which can rip through a level 24 character wearing Advanced Power Armor in one burst. Massive damage and long range make strategy unnecessary. All you need to do is lug the ammo around.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well there are a few rpg's that I truly loved when I was playing them.

The darklands game from Microprose was to me one of the best games at the time.
A real and huge medieval Germany to explore, plenty of things to do and experience and a great combat system. Allthough the game felt limited after awhile (the towns were all alike, same random events all the time, quests were only of fetch and kill type) I spent ages on it. Killing umpteenth robber knights, bribing the town guard, slaughtering witches, getting butchered by pissed off dragons, walking on water, falling in swamps and delivering a 1000 notes for the Hanza.
Allthough the producers hinted on a sequell or add-ons they never came....sigh

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I first played this game on the sega megadrive and much later on the pc. The sega version however was vastly superior imo due to an improved interface, more quests and better graphics.
Buck Rogers was one of the only sci-fi rpg's I've ever played that had it all. A huge gameworld that you could explore, turn based combat (with targeting cirkels when you used area weapons...no more maiming my own party by accident!) a neat story and some of the most immersive quests I've ever played (mind you...I was about 13 at the time :)
Aaah, good times, like the first pirate ship that I entered that promptly surrendered....and then set the self destruct timer, or the first time I got to fire the plasma launcher.
I destinctly remember the second mission in which you had to search a derelict ship and came face to face with a huge number of hostile aliens....the atmosphere and all the creepy descriptions really freaked me out.
The pc version is horribly dated, and the meggadrive version is hard to find but it is sure worth the trouble finding it on a emuware site.
BTW: there was a sequell that was quite neat. Only the pc version with the horrible controlls is still availeble though. Check out underdogs to get it.

And then you got the great Fallout and Planescape. Both games I loved. Or rpg's like Betrayal at Krondor, Arcanum, Prelude to darkness,Avernum, Divine Divinity....sigh too many to name.
it's just too hard to say what the best rpg ever is. Games are great for awhile, and then something better will turn up. Toee, Lionheart, who knows?
All I can say is that I love rpg's and that I will continue to do so.....I can't wait for the future 8)

Trash

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Psilon said:
Or the Browning M2, a gun which can rip through a level 24 character wearing Advanced Power Armor in one burst. Massive damage and long range make strategy unnecessary. All you need to do is lug the ammo around.

Agreed, Fallout Tactics played hell with Fallout's sniper/burst mechanic. Snipers are supposed to be able to peck bursters from a range, but only to the point where they do a decent amount prior to the burst person getting in range. The part I mentioned about Mission 8 was more of a map design issue, but on flat ground and multiplayer, you often had those long range burst weapons being a serious balance issue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The Fallout series is my vaorite overall. Followed by the BG series...

Zogg

Novice
Volourn said:
The Fallout series is my vaorite overall. Followed by the BG series...

Shutup Volourn. Nobody cares what choo think.

*SNAP* :twisted:

EEVIAC

Erudite
Pirates is the finest RPG I have ever played. Most of your actions had a consequence (it would have been cool to have more diplomatic options derived from marriage, or having family members, (brother, sisters especially) able to captain boats in your armada for skill bonuses.

There wasn't much of a story, but there were enough toys in the game that it was pretty easy to make one for yourself.

Other than that I vote Fallout.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Pirates was a very neat game, but it's been so long since I've played it that I barely remember it. I'm kind of hoping Sea Dogs 2 will live up to Pirates.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Pirates was a very neat game, but it's been so long since I've played it that I barely remember it. I'm kind of hoping Sea Dogs 2 will live up to Pirates.

I'm disappointed that you have to select from either a pre-gen male or female character. There wasn't an awful lot of character creation in the original Pirates, enough to define who you were and what your agenda was. That seems to be predefined already for Sea Dogs 2. Its also a Disney movie tie-in now, isn't it?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, I have to admit, that part annoys me as well. I'd much rather have character creation as opposed to using two gender presets, especially given the nature of the game where you're basically a privateer doing the High Seas thing.

I'd much rather be allowed to make a character per my choosing, with strengths and weaknesses that further my goals within the game. Maybe I want to be an iron fisted captain that rules his crew through fear, but then again, maybe I'd rather be a crafty captain who enlists help from various naval people with his smooth talking skills and charisma.

Spazmo

Erudite
My main problem with Sea Dogs 2 is Blaze Devlin. Hire some new writers, guys. Still, the setting is cool, and it inherently adds in a fleet management thing, which could be interesting.

And by the way, it's not Pirates, it's Pirates!

With Sea Dogs, there was only one guy you could be, but you got to choose his skills, as well as what sides he decided to take, etc. I don't see why it would be any different in the sequel. Using just two people is most likely just for voice-overs, since it lets them call you by name rather than "Hey, you".

EEVIAC

Erudite
Walks with the Snails said:
With Sea Dogs, there was only one guy you could be, but you got to choose his skills, as well as what sides he decided to take, etc. I don't see why it would be any different in the sequel. Using just two people is most likely just for voice-overs, since it lets them call you by name rather than "Hey, you".

FFX got away with allowing you to choose a name but not screwing up the voice acting. Personally I don't mind being called "you" or "adventurer" or whatever. By the way, I got that Disney nonsense from here http://firingsquad.gamers.com/news/news ... rchid=4969

Spazmo - thank you for the correction. :oops:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's one reason why games give alternative names for the player, or titles. "Chosen One" in Fallout 2 for example, is because they wanted people to address the player with a generic title in cut scenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom