Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stellar Tactics, a sandbox sci-fi RPG - now available on Early Access

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is a bit of alright isn't it? Seems like it's going to be hearty Codexian fare so far, though I'm still in the introduction, but you know how it is, you can tell pretty quickly how these things are going to go.

Obviously a labour of love. A wee bit clunky here and there, and a tad finicky wrt clicking sometimes; but certainly playable and enjoyable.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
This is a bit of alright isn't it? Seems like it's going to be hearty Codexian fare so far, though I'm still in the introduction, but you know how it is, you can tell pretty quickly how these things are going to go.

Obviously a labour of love. A wee bit clunky here and there, and a tad finicky wrt clicking sometimes; but certainly playable and enjoyable.

Biggest complaints I can find is there isn't enough to do yet. I think that's a good sign for an EA game - "This is good, but there isn't enough of it right now"

Aemar

Arcane
My main complaint is that the combat is very easy (ground), unless the enemies are way above your current level. Admittedly, I haven't played the game in quite a while, some things may have changed in that regard after the latest couple of updates.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The new weapon specials are quite fun, though not terribly effective yet at the level I'm at (for me they're at a, "useful if you have a few enemies left on a sliver of health who happen to be clustered together" level of effectiveness). Could also do with a bit more oomph in the visuals and audio, but that's a counsel of perfection at this stage, I know.

I like the extra pressure they bring from enemies (the more bossy of whom also have such skills) though, it means I do have to factor health packs into the rhythm of play. Whereas previously, so long as I worked the defensive stance into play regularly, combats would mostly be over by the time my chars were getting dangerously low on health, now I can occasionally have big chunks taken out of several guys at once, so I have to be even more aware of positioning and of keeping the wee fellows topped up health-wise.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Weapon special attacks, support skills and more
Hi all - I am happy to release the latest content patch for Stellar Tactics today. There are a lot of changes in this build so please read the patch notes below. I'll be monitoring the bug forums closely over the next few days and patching out any issues you might find. While I've done a lot of testing on this build, as you know, things happen. I hope you enjoy the changes.

I expect I'll be spending a week or two tweaking a few things with the special attacks, addressing issues (if any), and clearing a backlog of small issues that need to be looked into.

What's next? Sometime in the next week, I'll post an update covering what you can expect going forward. There are a lot of changes coming to Stellar Tactics and I'm really excited to be at a point where I'll be implementing new story content, expanding the mission system, polishing various rough edges, adding psionics, and more.

ADDED SPECIAL WEAPON ATTACKS AND SUPPORT SKILLS:
Weapon special attacks and support skills are now in the game. Note that enemies start using special attacks at around level 5. Players get all weapon skills at the start of the game and they improve over time with five total tiers increasing at skill levels 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100. Weapon skills are specific to each weapon type and several are shared (1hand slash and 1hand blunt). Initially these attacks are fairly weak, however, over time they scale nicely and you will be using them regularly in combat.
  • Special attacks and support skills use zero AP and can be triggered at any time if they are available as long as it is your turn in combat.
  • Special attacks are guaranteed to hit, however, DEFEND can mitigate damage.
  • Enemies start using special weapon attacks at level 5
  • Weapon special attacks are on global cooldown timers.
  • Support skills are reset at the beginning of combat. You can use sprint, taunt, and barrier at the start of each combat session.
  • You can use special attacks and support skills from both equipped weapons ( primary and secondary ) in the same round if global timers are reset by swapping weapons.
  • Special attacks, taunt, and barrier increase in power as you gain skill in that weapon class at levels 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100.
  • Game difficulty affects how NPC's use special attacks by changing how often they are used. The frequency and power of these effects from NPC's vary by enemy difficulty. A regular NPC will use them less often, a single skull enemy more often and bosses will use them most of the time when their cooldowns expire. On easy mode, these attacks are less likely to trigger - on extreme difficulty the attacks will be triggered more often.
  • Some enemies have special abilities. For example Phage vomit. Rather than triggering a special attack, they will use their special twice in one attack if they trigger a special. New enemies in future updates may have similar attacks that they use more than once in a combat round.

UPDATED - BOARDING:
  • When boarding a ship, there will always be a loot container that contains ship equipment loot similar to what would have been dropped if you had destroyed the ship. NOTE: Ore and ship ammo is not included in the loot table.
  • Enemy subsystem regeneration time increased by 30 seconds. It should now be easier to board ships with lower-tier ship equipment. Note that it has always been intended that boarding a ship with starter turrets would be difficult. Upgrading your turrets and systems will make boarding enemy ships much easier. While boarding, a ship may regenerate its shields, however, they go down faster after repaired by the enemy crew.
  • General reward for selling ships to Arkus increased by 30%. Selling a ship with multiple decks increased by 70%. Note that repairing ships to full always rewards more and yes, it does take some time to gather the components - though, with higher salvage skill, more components are rewarded. I will be adding side missions for Arkus and he/she/it will have missions that will let you earn better rewards as you develop your relationship.

ADDED - REVIEW AND UPDATE CREW PERKS/STATS FROM THE CREW MANAGER:
You can now edit crew member perks, stats, portrait, voice, and name in the CREW MANAGER for any crew member by selecting the crew member you want to edit from the list on the left and then clicking the "EDIT CREW MEMBER" button. This is very useful when adjusting space crew perks for mining, space combat etc. Previously, you needed to add the crew member to your active crew to make adjustments.

ADDED - DEDICATED CREW MEMBERS FOR HACKING, SALVAGING, CRAFTING, AND REPAIR
When activating any of these skills, you can now select the active crew member as dedicated. This means that no matter which crew member activates the skill, the dedicated crew member will be the crew member who's skills and perks are used. This crew member also receives all experience from actively using these skills.
If you would prefer to not use a dedicated crew member anymore, just select the portrait to remove the "check mark" and the crew member that initiates the skill will be used.
The first time any of these skills is used a popup is displayed explaining how to select this crew member as the dedicated crew.
SELECT DEDICATED CREW MEMBER: When any of the skill UI's are displayed, click the portrait and a checkmark will be displayed indicating this crew member is not the dedicated crew member for that skill.
REMOVE DEDICATED CREW MEMBER: When any of the skill UI's are displayed, click the portrait and the checkmark will be removed indicated a dedicated crew member is not selected for that skill.
--NOTE: Removing or replacing a crew member from your ground team in the crew manager will reset your currently active dedicated crew. You will need to re-assign a new crew member to the various tasks.

UPDATED - VSYNC AND FRAMERATE CAP OPTIONS:
Uncapping the framerate in the video options has been changed to give players more options. You can find a new slider in the video options menu. Default is VSYNC ON. The slider lets you cap your framerate to 30 FPS, 60 FPS, VSYNC ON, VSYNC 1/2, VSYNC 1/4, and NO LIMIT (no cap at all!). VSYNC is highly dependant on your system, monitor, and video card settings. This should give players more options and hopefully address issues of animation slowdown. If you have any issues, you can always either uncap the framerate completely by dragging the slider to the far right or set the framerate cap to 60FPS or even 30FPS.

I'll keep an eye on the bug forums to see if any of the VSYNC and framerate adjustments mentioned above cause any issues. VSYNC ON should always provide the best performance.

GENERAL PATCH NOTES:
UPDATED: Increased base Micro-Warp speed of ships.
UPDATED: Reduced spam-click timer so there is less delay when interacting with objects and NPC's.
UPDATED: Skyboxes for the main menu and FTL space.
UPDATED: Doubled faction token and faction standing rewards for agent missions.
UPDATED: Doubled positive/negative faction reward values for clearing explore locations.
UPDATED: Increase the number of credits rewarded when completing a faction agent mission
UPDATED: Faction display in the log map area now displays your current faction values as positive/negative values ranging from -50,000 (worst) to +50,000 (best). Neutral ranges from -10,000 - +10,000.
UPDATED: Hacking and auto-hacking are now faster. When entering the correct key code, the next combination digit begins immediately instead of waiting for the cooldown timer to expire.
UPDATED: Repair and Salvage experience bars when repairing/salvaging ship components on boarded ships now show experience toward the next level instead of total skill experience.
UPDATED: Adjusted bleed damage down a little.
UPDATED: The FTL guide entry is displayed the first time you enter FTL space. A reminder to accelerate is displayed on the screen when entering FTL space. Additional information added to the FTL guide entry noting that piloting skill and FTL drive quality affect SHIP speed in FTL space. Guide entries/tutorials will eventually get an overhaul.
UPDATED: Added new key binds. Your current key binds have been reset.
Keybind for toggling grenades on/off [O]
Keybind for toggling med-kits on/off [P]
Keybind for scanning the selected target in space [DELETE]
Keybind for attacking the selected ship. When in space combat you can tab-target ships in combat with you, and press the attack key to switch all turrets to the new target. [RETURN]
FIXED: Neutral system stations would occasionally spawn faction agents that would give missions that could never be completed.
FIXED: It was possible to mount heavy turrets on light turret mount slots. I recommend replacing any heavy turrets mounted on light turret mount locations to avoid issues with space combat.
FIXED: Corrected ship info list below turrets on ship screen [K} so it correctly displays the mount point info for heavy/light turrets.
FIXED: If entering the Abandoned Facility and taking missions before completing the Slice Mines mission, it was possible you could not turn the Slice Mine mission in to Scarby Hurzog.
FIXED: Rollover highlights for a number of objects.
FIXED: When removing status effects using first-aid perkS, the status effect displayed under the crew portrait is updated immediately.
FIXED: A few minor visual glitches with projectiles.
FIXED: A few material errors with Kchor NPC's
FIXED: A skill rounding error when recruiting mercs that would round skills down one level occasionally.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The "sluggish anims and scrolling" problem seems to have been solved with the last patch. Whereas previously you had to tick the "experimental frame rate uncapper" button to stop the game from feeling like you were wading through glue, now the VSYNC ON option makes it all lovely and smooth without the slight riskiness of the uncapping.

I hope he does more story, as although the Dauntless prologue and aftermath don't seem to be written by a "pro" writer, and it shows in terms of a slight stiffness to the dialogue, nevertheless it has some nice nerdy detail and all the charm of a single dev's devotion. Just like the old days! :)

It's a very lovable thing.

One criticism I'd make that should be relatively easy to sort out, is that the skill descriptions should mention the attribute requirements. As it stands, only the SMG skill description tells you what attributes are relevant, for the rest you have to make a rough guess from the attribute descriptions. For example, I read that Pugilism is mostly AGI some STR, but without that info, just going by the attribute descriptions the new player could easily make it mostly STR with some AGI, since there's nothing in the Pugilism description that gives the right proportion.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/465490/view/2945884024691196334
Weapon special attacks, support skills and more

Hi all - I am happy to release the latest content patch for Stellar Tactics today. There are a lot of changes in this build so please read the patch notes below. I'll be monitoring the bug forums closely over the next few days and patching out any issues you might find. While I've done a lot of testing on this build, as you know, things happen. I hope you enjoy the changes.

I expect I'll be spending a week or two tweaking a few things with the special attacks, addressing issues (if any), and clearing a backlog of small issues that need to be looked into.

What's next? Sometime in the next week, I'll post an update covering what you can expect going forward. There are a lot of changes coming to Stellar Tactics and I'm really excited to be at a point where I'll be implementing new story content, expanding the mission system, polishing various rough edges, adding psionics, and more.

ADDED SPECIAL WEAPON ATTACKS AND SUPPORT SKILLS:
Weapon special attacks and support skills are now in the game. Note that enemies start using special attacks at around level 5. Players get all weapon skills at the start of the game and they improve over time with five total tiers increasing at skill levels 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100. Weapon skills are specific to each weapon type and several are shared (1hand slash and 1hand blunt). Initially these attacks are fairly weak, however, over time they scale nicely and you will be using them regularly in combat.
  • Special attacks and support skills use zero AP and can be triggered at any time if they are available as long as it is your turn in combat.
  • Special attacks are guaranteed to hit, however, DEFEND can mitigate damage.
  • Enemies start using special weapon attacks at level 5
  • Weapon special attacks are on global cooldown timers.
  • Support skills are reset at the beginning of combat. You can use sprint, taunt, and barrier at the start of each combat session.
  • You can use special attacks and support skills from both equipped weapons ( primary and secondary ) in the same round if global timers are reset by swapping weapons.
  • Special attacks, taunt, and barrier increase in power as you gain skill in that weapon class at levels 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100.
  • Game difficulty affects how NPC's use special attacks by changing how often they are used. The frequency and power of these effects from NPC's vary by enemy difficulty. A regular NPC will use them less often, a single skull enemy more often and bosses will use them most of the time when their cooldowns expire. On easy mode, these attacks are less likely to trigger - on extreme difficulty the attacks will be triggered more often.
  • Some enemies have special abilities. For example Phage vomit. Rather than triggering a special attack, they will use their special twice in one attack if they trigger a special. New enemies in future updates may have similar attacks that they use more than once in a combat round.

UPDATED - BOARDING:
  • When boarding a ship, there will always be a loot container that contains ship equipment loot similar to what would have been dropped if you had destroyed the ship. NOTE: Ore and ship ammo is not included in the loot table.
  • Enemy subsystem regeneration time increased by 30 seconds. It should now be easier to board ships with lower-tier ship equipment. Note that it has always been intended that boarding a ship with starter turrets would be difficult. Upgrading your turrets and systems will make boarding enemy ships much easier. While boarding, a ship may regenerate its shields, however, they go down faster after repaired by the enemy crew.
  • General reward for selling ships to Arkus increased by 30%. Selling a ship with multiple decks increased by 70%. Note that repairing ships to full always rewards more and yes, it does take some time to gather the components - though, with higher salvage skill, more components are rewarded. I will be adding side missions for Arkus and he/she/it will have missions that will let you earn better rewards as you develop your relationship.

ADDED - REVIEW AND UPDATE CREW PERKS/STATS FROM THE CREW MANAGER:
You can now edit crew member perks, stats, portrait, voice, and name in the CREW MANAGER for any crew member by selecting the crew member you want to edit from the list on the left and then clicking the "EDIT CREW MEMBER" button. This is very useful when adjusting space crew perks for mining, space combat etc. Previously, you needed to add the crew member to your active crew to make adjustments.

ADDED - DEDICATED CREW MEMBERS FOR HACKING, SALVAGING, CRAFTING, AND REPAIR
When activating any of these skills, you can now select the active crew member as dedicated. This means that no matter which crew member activates the skill, the dedicated crew member will be the crew member who's skills and perks are used. This crew member also receives all experience from actively using these skills.
If you would prefer to not use a dedicated crew member anymore, just select the portrait to remove the "check mark" and the crew member that initiates the skill will be used.
The first time any of these skills is used a popup is displayed explaining how to select this crew member as the dedicated crew.
SELECT DEDICATED CREW MEMBER: When any of the skill UI's are displayed, click the portrait and a checkmark will be displayed indicating this crew member is not the dedicated crew member for that skill.
REMOVE DEDICATED CREW MEMBER: When any of the skill UI's are displayed, click the portrait and the checkmark will be removed indicated a dedicated crew member is not selected for that skill.
--NOTE: Removing or replacing a crew member from your ground team in the crew manager will reset your currently active dedicated crew. You will need to re-assign a new crew member to the various tasks.

UPDATED - VSYNC AND FRAMERATE CAP OPTIONS:
Uncapping the framerate in the video options has been changed to give players more options. You can find a new slider in the video options menu. Default is VSYNC ON. The slider lets you cap your framerate to 30 FPS, 60 FPS, VSYNC ON, VSYNC 1/2, VSYNC 1/4, and NO LIMIT (no cap at all!). VSYNC is highly dependant on your system, monitor, and video card settings. This should give players more options and hopefully address issues of animation slowdown. If you have any issues, you can always either uncap the framerate completely by dragging the slider to the far right or set the framerate cap to 60FPS or even 30FPS.

I'll keep an eye on the bug forums to see if any of the VSYNC and framerate adjustments mentioned above cause any issues. VSYNC ON should always provide the best performance.
GENERAL PATCH NOTES:
UPDATED: Increased base Micro-Warp speed of ships.
UPDATED: Reduced spam-click timer so there is less delay when interacting with objects and NPC's.
UPDATED: Skyboxes for the main menu and FTL space.
UPDATED: Doubled faction token and faction standing rewards for agent missions.
UPDATED: Doubled positive/negative faction reward values for clearing explore locations.
UPDATED: Increase the number of credits rewarded when completing a faction agent mission
UPDATED: Faction display in the log map area now displays your current faction values as positive/negative values ranging from -50,000 (worst) to +50,000 (best). Neutral ranges from -10,000 - +10,000.
UPDATED: Hacking and auto-hacking are now faster. When entering the correct key code, the next combination digit begins immediately instead of waiting for the cooldown timer to expire.
UPDATED: Repair and Salvage experience bars when repairing/salvaging ship components on boarded ships now show experience toward the next level instead of total skill experience.
UPDATED: Adjusted bleed damage down a little.
UPDATED: The FTL guide entry is displayed the first time you enter FTL space. A reminder to accelerate is displayed on the screen when entering FTL space. Additional information added to the FTL guide entry noting that piloting skill and FTL drive quality affect SHIP speed in FTL space. Guide entries/tutorials will eventually get an overhaul.
UPDATED: Added new key binds. Your current key binds have been reset.
Keybind for toggling grenades on/off [O]
Keybind for toggling med-kits on/off [P]
Keybind for scanning the selected target in space [DELETE]
Keybind for attacking the selected ship. When in space combat you can tab-target ships in combat with you, and press the attack key to switch all turrets to the new target. [RETURN]
FIXED: Neutral system stations would occasionally spawn faction agents that would give missions that could never be completed.
FIXED: It was possible to mount heavy turrets on light turret mount slots. I recommend replacing any heavy turrets mounted on light turret mount locations to avoid issues with space combat.
FIXED: Corrected ship info list below turrets on ship screen [K} so it correctly displays the mount point info for heavy/light turrets.
FIXED: If entering the Abandoned Facility and taking missions before completing the Slice Mines mission, it was possible you could not turn the Slice Mine mission in to Scarby Hurzog.
FIXED: Rollover highlights for a number of objects.
FIXED: When removing status effects using first-aid perkS, the status effect displayed under the crew portrait is updated immediately.
FIXED: A few minor visual glitches with projectiles.
FIXED: A few material errors with Kchor NPC's
FIXED: A skill rounding error when recruiting mercs that would round skills down one level occasionally.

Takamori

Learned
Think I'm gonna buy this game, the current EA offer hours of gameplay or its just a showcase for the game?

Aemar

Arcane
You can easily invest 20-25 hours into the current version despite the lack of a complete storyline and active factions. Grinding mostly.

Takamori

Learned
So tested the game yesterday first impression:
This game has charm, but the tutorial mission is a clusterfuck. The scientist have bipolar disorder or the phage contaminated both who knows.
The level up system is weird, so you have the classic level up for main stats but at the same time you have to train your skills, I would rather haver level up with stats+ skill points. Probably can be easily modded implemented.
Itemization I really enjoyed, you can have fun with mods and crafting
Space travel, combat and interaction is pretty deep, scanning ship tactics and so on
The combat UI needs some work kinda clunky to change your fire mode, also it seems burst fire is not working in the current version

Autism aka stuff that I personally didn't like but don't affect the game overall
Body disappearing, god damn I get autistic with despawning bodies, tried to tinker with the config files no way to mess with this option or the decal timer.
The portrait from NPCs and your character, while your character have this art portrait the npcs that join you are the actual 3d models?
Not being able to customize your character appearence
The shopkeeper npcs are just generic human npcs without any presentation,lore or indication they sell weapons, armor and equipment of such

Overall this game have a lot to improve but its stuff that can be fixed it aint attached to the core idea of the game, gonna revisit in 6 months.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
As far as the refresh rate and smoothness of scrolling is concerned, for my system, what I found to work best is to uncap the framerate in the game's own options, but to use a framerate limiter externally, such as RivaTuner. Playing in G-Sync mode at 144Hz and capped at 90fps offers the smoothest, "jerk"-free gameplay I could manage.

Allowing the game to run at the full 144Hz/fps introduces its own scrolling hitches, although oddly the screen rotation remains liquid smooth.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As far as the refresh rate and smoothness of scrolling is concerned, for my system, what I found to work best is to uncap the framerate in the game's own options, but to use a framerate limiter externally, such as RivaTuner. Playing in G-Sync mode at 144Hz and capped at 90fps offers the smoothest, "jerk"-free gameplay I could manage.

Allowing the game to run at the full 144Hz/fps introduces its own scrolling hitches, although oddly the screen rotation remains liquid smooth.

The uncap framerate option is gone, there's now a slider where you can have VSYNC OFF'/ON and then various stages of matching framerate (1/2, 1/4, all the way up to "uncapped", which would be the equivalent of the old tick box on the bottom left).

I had the slow anims/scrolling problem and I had to use the uncap box tick before, now with VSYNC ON the game is slick and animation/scrolling runs at normal speed, without the extra risk of crashing that uncapping brings in.

I'm enjoying the game a lot atm. One thing that really changed my sense of the game was realizing that if you scan the planets, at least one or two planets invariably have a base on them, usually friendly (or hostile in hostile systems). This changed by sense of the "universe" from, "Huh, boring, some dull planets and a few space-stations" to, "hmm, wonder what I'll find in this solar system?" Curiously, I've found so far that the hostile planet bases have a more straightforward layout than the mazes that you get from faction reps, which is nice for a change.

(There are also usually several mining nodes on planets that you can set drones onto. If you set the drones on automatic they'll give you passive income by selling what they dig up at the local stations until they deplete the nodes. But you can also set them on manual too, in which case they sit there with the stuff they've mined and you can pick up stuff from them yourself, which is handy for gathering the mats for crafting.)

I've also gotten into the space combat now, whereas before I was a bit iffy about it. It feels more arcadey, but it's actually very pleasant and engaging to play - and very lucrative. Going to try the boarding thing next.

I do feel that the difference in tone between the gritty realism of the art design in the ground combat and the arcadey feel of the solar systems (which basically feel abouit the size of large school halls with a few giant beachballs in them) is a bit jarring. One wishes the developer could have given more of a sense of the vastness of space (as in EVE) by using looming and acceleration/deceleration (e.g. like in EVE where as you approach a station, you don't see it for ages then it suddenly looms, with the planet in the background remaining massive and still - thus giving a sense of relative scale of the tiny space station and the massive planet). But I guess with the resources at his disposal he's doing the best compromise. The giant school hall is certainly easy to navigate manually, which I suppose is the point. :)

Another thing to note is that the grid numbering on the space map goes from left to right and bottom to top. So it's easy to visit and keep track of the 8 boxes around your starter box (pencil and paper! :) ) and the box the distant star you're sent to to get the contraband unlocked, and find all the solar systems with stations marked "trading port," set up beacons in those system (which you can do either by approaching FTL bouys in the solar system or being close to a star in FTL space - in either case, via a purple icon that appears bottom left). That gives you a nice healthy selection of trading planets to get your trade net started. I found that there's usually 1 system with a trading port per box, sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes none, so a set of 20 beacons should set you up. Judging by the amount of trading differentials I've noted so far, I think you'd have to do the same beacon setting-up for the 16 boxes around your initial 8 as well, to get a really healthy trade net, so probably about 50 or 60 systems in all.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
New Horizons
With the addition of the combat special attacks and support skills, the majority of all the core game systems are now in the game. While 2020 was difficult for everyone with the pandemic, I was still able to get a large amount of work done on the game with 19 total updates to the game and several sizeable additions including the boarding system. I’d like to thank all of you for your continued support. Stellar Tactics would not be possible without your generosity and feedback.

So, what can you expect going forward? Well, I’m very excited about the next steps so I thought I would give everyone a glance into the future of the game. Until now I’ve been mostly focused on developing the core structure of the game. Things like combat, space exploration, the universe, inventory, crafting, salvaging, loot and all of the systems that make up the foundation of what Stellar Tactics will be. That is, the container – the universe.

Now it’s time to start filling the universe with meaningful content. Characters you will engage with in various ways. I’d like to expand on the lore of the universe, give you ways to define your place, build relationships with various factions, and expand on the core systems I’ve worked hard to implement.

What does that mean? First, I’ll be working on the story. With that, more of what is happening in the universe will become apparent. Who are the key players? Who were the Aznari? What are the Jhemm? What is this threat that is coming? Should you trust Jensen and Rhamus? And of course, what is your part in all of this? There are likely many questions after playing the Prologue and my goal going forward is to give the player places to go, things to see and do, and to expand on the core of the game with meaningful content and encounters.

I’ll be expanding on the mission system with branching missions that have multiple objectives. Missions may lead to new missions and I'll be looking into new and better completion rewards.

I’ll be expanding the storylines of characters you have already met – like Arkus, Rhamus, Phestus, Scarby, Rodger Crayson, and more. Some of these characters will introduce new mission types for mining, smuggling, salvaging, and ways to earn ships from Arkus through the boarding system.

I'll be adding new enemy types and epic bosses.

I'll be adding new armor sets and clothing for characters.

I’ll be adding Psionics. Psionics will use a new weapon type – the Psi Amp which is rewarded from a series of side encounters related to the Coven. I won’t spoil anything here, though I will say that Psi will be a very useful skill to have with the ability to buff, debuff, heal, and generate various other effects that enhance your team.

I'll be adding faction warfare and unique encounters in FTL space. These will be random locations with exploration, salvaging, and special faction warfare opportunities.

I’ve made an investment in new tools that will help me create unique and diverse characters for the story, new portraits, and in-game models. A few examples below.

Some of these characters you will love to hate.
ed9fabb618bbcd85f38c7726575dc841cfcc7a6a.png

Others you will learn to rely on.
a88a1b3d149a329cb56aeea861a605361dabf850.png

And special crew members who have their own stories and backgrounds.
c8567863cb62786cea95058a0344fdc0d06f9e44.png

07583785eb0ca38a86ef89da8db4b189329ad35f.png

I’ll be revising and adding more variety to the universe with new high-resolution custom skyboxes made just for Stellar Tactics by Tim Barton – an amazing artist who specializes in space environments. You can check out Tim Bartons work at this link: Tim Barton on Artstation
f60e13c441ea8fde97e4d99ced84a0f1452a3234.png

I’ll also be knocking off some of the rough edges, improving the game visuals, and addressing QoL issues many of you have been asking for. I will be working on tuning, looking at all of the systems as a whole and how they work with each other, and making changes where they make sense.

I'm going to be patching out a number of small bugs and addressing a few other issues at the end of next week. From that point, I’ll be focusing exclusively on the content mentioned above. It will likely be the longest period of time you have had to wait for a content update and I’ll keep you all posted as I make progress.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I had no idea this game had almost a Newtonian-correct, accurate-to-scale, gigantic space travel thing going for it. Flying past stars is beautiful, and especially fun knowing you're headed to some settlement for your next quest that's on a planet that's not even on-screen yet. I haven't even gotten into any ship-to-ship combat so far. And you can spend millions on new ships? Holy crap.

Absolute blast to play. This game has massive potential imo.

Aemar

Arcane
The new update heads-up takes the whole thing to a new level. One of the best one-man projects ever. As I said before, this dude has already delivered more content than Chris Roberts and his hundreds of employees.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
New Horizons
With the addition of the combat special attacks and support skills, the majority of all the core game systems are now in the game. While 2020 was difficult for everyone with the pandemic, I was still able to get a large amount of work done on the game with 19 total updates to the game and several sizeable additions including the boarding system. I’d like to thank all of you for your continued support. Stellar Tactics would not be possible without your generosity and feedback.

So, what can you expect going forward? Well, I’m very excited about the next steps so I thought I would give everyone a glance into the future of the game. Until now I’ve been mostly focused on developing the core structure of the game. Things like combat, space exploration, the universe, inventory, crafting, salvaging, loot and all of the systems that make up the foundation of what Stellar Tactics will be. That is, the container – the universe.

Now it’s time to start filling the universe with meaningful content. Characters you will engage with in various ways. I’d like to expand on the lore of the universe, give you ways to define your place, build relationships with various factions, and expand on the core systems I’ve worked hard to implement.

What does that mean? First, I’ll be working on the story. With that, more of what is happening in the universe will become apparent. Who are the key players? Who were the Aznari? What are the Jhemm? What is this threat that is coming? Should you trust Jensen and Rhamus? And of course, what is your part in all of this? There are likely many questions after playing the Prologue and my goal going forward is to give the player places to go, things to see and do, and to expand on the core of the game with meaningful content and encounters.

I’ll be expanding on the mission system with branching missions that have multiple objectives. Missions may lead to new missions and I'll be looking into new and better completion rewards.

I’ll be expanding the storylines of characters you have already met – like Arkus, Rhamus, Phestus, Scarby, Rodger Crayson, and more. Some of these characters will introduce new mission types for mining, smuggling, salvaging, and ways to earn ships from Arkus through the boarding system.

I'll be adding new enemy types and epic bosses.

I'll be adding new armor sets and clothing for characters.

I’ll be adding Psionics. Psionics will use a new weapon type – the Psi Amp which is rewarded from a series of side encounters related to the Coven. I won’t spoil anything here, though I will say that Psi will be a very useful skill to have with the ability to buff, debuff, heal, and generate various other effects that enhance your team.

I'll be adding faction warfare and unique encounters in FTL space. These will be random locations with exploration, salvaging, and special faction warfare opportunities.

I’ve made an investment in new tools that will help me create unique and diverse characters for the story, new portraits, and in-game models. A few examples below.

Some of these characters you will love to hate.
ed9fabb618bbcd85f38c7726575dc841cfcc7a6a.png

Others you will learn to rely on.
a88a1b3d149a329cb56aeea861a605361dabf850.png

And special crew members who have their own stories and backgrounds.
c8567863cb62786cea95058a0344fdc0d06f9e44.png

07583785eb0ca38a86ef89da8db4b189329ad35f.png

I’ll be revising and adding more variety to the universe with new high-resolution custom skyboxes made just for Stellar Tactics by Tim Barton – an amazing artist who specializes in space environments. You can check out Tim Bartons work at this link: Tim Barton on Artstation
f60e13c441ea8fde97e4d99ced84a0f1452a3234.png

I’ll also be knocking off some of the rough edges, improving the game visuals, and addressing QoL issues many of you have been asking for. I will be working on tuning, looking at all of the systems as a whole and how they work with each other, and making changes where they make sense.

I'm going to be patching out a number of small bugs and addressing a few other issues at the end of next week. From that point, I’ll be focusing exclusively on the content mentioned above. It will likely be the longest period of time you have had to wait for a content update and I’ll keep you all posted as I make progress.

OMG OMG OMG :)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Personally I'd just like to see the story content greatly expanded, giving us hundreds of hours of things to do in addition to the rogue-like activity that's there for the grinding, but skip any of the high-tech graphical stuff because imo it's just going to look out-of-place.

There's something very charming about the way the game looks now, even with its very basic UI, that just seems well-balanced.

Give us more skills, more items, more ship upgrades, more environments. Those are clearly this game's strengths.

Takamori

Learned
Oh fuck thats huge leap in the character portrait, I was kinda expecting some commisioned portrait.

The graphics in the current I have no issue too, just missing some animations and tweaks like body not disappearing and decals remaining, but textures, shaders and art presentation overall was satisfied with.
The rest is pretty fun to engage with, just still undecided how I feel about the skill up system. I have an opinion where it would benefit from level up and skill points per level to make a more harmonious progression and help create a character identity for you and your crew, but at the same time understand that the game has some "grind" to engage with where you skill up whatever and offer freedom to build up your character in that way but the downside of end game where everyone can be everything kindas annoy me, but I could be wrong I don't have many hours in the game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oh fuck thats huge leap in the character portrait, I was kinda expecting some commisioned portrait.

The graphics in the current I have no issue too, just missing some animations and tweaks like body not disappearing and decals remaining, but textures, shaders and art presentation overall was satisfied with.
The rest is pretty fun to engage with, just still undecided how I feel about the skill up system. I have an opinion where it would benefit from level up and skill points per level to make a more harmonious progression and help create a character identity for you and your crew, but at the same time understand that the game has some "grind" to engage with where you skill up whatever and offer freedom to build up your character in that way but the downside of end game where everyone can be everything kindas annoy me, but I could be wrong I don't have many hours in the game.

I think as usual with RPGs, on Normal difficulty you can mix and match as you like, but on Hard or Very Hard you definitely have to specialize and stick with two weapon types (closer and further range) to get real oomph out of them, and mixing melee and ranged is a definite no-no because of the attributes (as to be expected). You can also pump up a third skill on the side, as sort of ancillary (explosives is always handy, and grenades, like the stun+gas combo are quite powerful). The "5 skills per level up" works to prevent you from spreading yourself too thinly - you want those 5 skill-ups per level up to be meaningful, and not "wasted" on a 1 point skill-up in something you're not likely to use much.

One gripe I've got is that you can carry as many medpacks as you like. On Hard and up you don't have the automatic regeneration you have on normal, so you do have to use medpacks, and that's good, but being able to carry as many as you want sort of trivializes that. I wouldn't want to have the restriction really tight (because you're in space and you might not always be in a position to buy them at your convenience - for example if you're clearing out a large base in a system without trade ports - and not all stores carry the large, which is good), but something like 30/20/10 (light/med/large) would make their use a bit more meaningful.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/app/465490/discussions/0/3109141414226718597/
Patch incoming - 1/30/21
A number of fixes and QoL updates in this patch. Notes below:

UPDATED: If you have no weapons or a pugilist weapon in your sidearm slot, the secondary support skill has been changed to sprint. If the primary weapon slot is empty (fists) or a pugilist weapon is equipped, the support skill is taunt.

UPDATED: Updated the combat movement path marker to use a much faster system.

UPDATED: LOS lines are now displayed almost immediately when the combat movement cursor is moved to a position.

UPDATED: I did a lot of work on movement and pathing. Overhead objects, walls, and other objects no longer obstructed floor clicks. If you click the floor, your crew member should move to the location unless blocked. This includes how raycasts for movement interact with PC's, NPC's and the environment.

UPDATED: If a health kit is enabled, you can now click through overhead objects, etc to target crew members.

UPDATED: A few changes to the world map:
  • You can now scroll the area map using the left mouse button and zoom in-out using the mouse wheel.
  • World map uses a higher resolution map.
  • You can now zoom in much further on the world map.
  • World map now remembers your current zoom level and last position during the current game session. You can reset the map using the blue "+" icon on the map.

UPDATED: The star-map search feature loads much faster now. A few other new features:
  • The star map now lets you search star systems where you have placed a beacon by entering only a few characters. So, for example, you can search for "Achmedius" by entering "a" and pressing enter in the search field and Achmedius will be displayed along with any other systems that start with an "A". For systems where you have not placed a beacon, you need to enter the entire system name and press search to center the map on that system.
  • Entering "cargo" or "ship" in the search field and pressing enter will now display systems where you have cargo or ships.
  • The search feature now includes the sector coordinates and sector level for systems where you have placed beacons.

UPDATED: The VSYNC option now enables VSYNC and the frame limiter for the 60FPS and 30FPS options. I'm still doing work on how various high refresh monitors interact with game events and area loading.

ADDED: Added new icons to the star map that show you if you have a drone, ship, or cargo storage in a system. If you have placed a beacon in a system, the system has a new icon overlay that shows you at a glance if a beacon is already deployed in the system.
ADDED: If a crew member is at the 5 point skill cap, a warning is displayed when entering the inventory or character info screens noting that the crew member will not receive weapon skill experience until they reach the next level.

FIXED: When clicking at a specific position in the game world, the navigation marker in combat was not being correctly set to the exact movement position.
FIXED: When first entering an area and engaging in combat, the LOS markers and cover icon was not being displayed until an enemy took a single turn.
FIXED: A bug in the display of various perk bonuses in the ship skill bonus area.
FIXED: Enemy AI equipped with grenades would occasionally throw two grenades during their combat round.
FIXED: A number of UI inconsistencies related to closing various menus with the ESC key (LOG - Search, Trade-Net, Faction window).
FIXED: A few perk tooltip errors.
FIXED: The game would lock up if a crew member dies at the same time as the last enemy in an encounter with a missile launcher, DOT, or grenade. Could also happen if you were in combat mode with no enemies around and you threw a grenade and killed yourself - oops.
FIXED: When selecting crew portraits, special attacks for that crew member are now updated correctly in the toolbar.
FIXED: A bug with melee movement introduced with the special attacks system that could cause melee crew members to stop before reaching their target causing a loss of AP.

Drowed

Arcane
I totally forgot that this game existed. It's been in EA since, what... 2016? It's already 5 years, right? Are you trying to break the longest EA record or something? :lol:

Having said that, this version of the game really seems extremely superior to the game I remember playing years ago, it seems that some real progress happened in that period. The characters seem infinitely better, almost unbelievably so. That's nice. As I already own the game, I look forward to the full version in 2025.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom