Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which game should Hexen 2 replace on the Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs?

Which shit game would you like to see canned so Hexen 2 can get on the list instead?

• Oblivion

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Undertale

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
On the contrary, it's embarrassing that we've created a society so full of slack jawed faggots that so many are willing to allow the mass consumer decline enablers seep into the Codex so much with their stank foulness.

Games like Oblivion & Undertale should be crushed underfoot by Codexers for quality such as Hexen 2.

Trash can be crushed without turning into a raving popamoler.

Wunderbar

Arcane
it's embarrassing that we've created a society so full of slack jawed faggots that so many are willing to allow the mass consumer decline enablers seep into the Codex so much with their stank foulness.

Games like Oblivion & Undertale should be crushed underfoot by Codexers for quality such as Hexen 2.
says a Fallout 3 fan.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
He's also playing jRPGs in general gaming, lmao.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just remembered something a friend and I used to talk about as games were moving beyond these early 3-d games, into more sophisticated and realistic rendering. We often remarked on how these older games had a lot of charming fantasy architecture. As graphics get more realistic sometimes the art design loses its quirkiness. Specifically, there's a lot of "pointless architecture" in these games - spaces that you don't really know what they're for, but they look amazing. And that actually makes it all seem very unfamiliar and weird, which impacts one's feeling for the gameplay.

There probably are realistically renderable things that would have the same impact, but it was easier to get to that vague wierdness with graphics that were already fairly abstract (pixellated objects without much detail).

Robber Baron

Savant
I remember trying Hexen 2 in coop like 6-7 years ago. It's a mediocre game all around, main problem is gameplay and level design are just not that good and I dont even remember it having any RPG elelements. Maybe at the time of release it could find an auidience, but Unreal that came out like half a year later was already a vastly better game. Nowadays when you're spoiled with things like Arcane dimensions, I don't even know why one would bother with Hexen 2.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Hexen 2 Remastered (includes Portal of Praevus):
https://yadi.sk/d/1po3CJUmkerez

Nice work, I really like the look of some of those!

I'd love to see a sequel to it. Yeah I accept in today's day & age the puzzles would have to be a bit less convoluted, alongside other tweaks, but the foundation for a real quality 3rd installment is definitely there.

I was compelled by unknown forces to create this: Hexen II Mission Selector

Scroll through and choose a custom SP mission/map, select player class, select skill level, and then play. No hassle way to fuck about w/ Hexen 2. I included every custom singleplayer mission pack and map that I could. Rino's Mission Packs are in Italian, but they are fun. It will work with the Hexen 2 Remastered linked above, as well as with the Steam Ultimate Patch. Just overwrite duplicate folders/files.

5FsKu8A.jpg

fIT8MJc.jpg

Zik7jtA.jpg

gCNuYSC.jpg

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5o2zk8labxk2gt/AADUjHzo1JUvj6v6wi0JKkZqa?dl=0

Robber Baron

Savant

Hey, thanks for the link, we decided to give coop run another go, but run into a strange issue:
When playing coop, second player gets some wonky textures, for example snow ground texture(top) is swaped with strange bas-relief(bottom). There're several wrong textures throughout the levels.
We tested this and the player who connects to the server always gets this issue.
Any ideas?

hexen-2-erro.jpg

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Hey, thanks for the link, we decided to give coop run another go, but run into a strange issue:
When playing coop, second player gets some wonky textures, for example snow ground texture(top) is swaped with strange bas-relief(bottom). There're several wrong textures throughout the levels.
We tested this and the player who connects to the server always gets this issue.
Any ideas?

hexen-2-erro.jpg

JsHexen2 has a few bugs left in it, unfortunately. I experienced this strange incorrect texture bug once too under different circumstances.

I would recommend using the more stable Hammer of Thyrion source port for multiplayer instead: http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

Citizen

Heretic 2 is the best game of the heritic/hexen series. Change my mind (you can't)

Falksi

Arcane
Just started replaying this through again on the hardest difficulty setting for the first time. Incredible, absolutely incredible game. Blows me away completely still, just spunktastically immersive and satisfying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom