Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trail of Ayash - open world game based on Native American myth

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://trailofayash.com/trail-of-ayash/

ss_2468f0cf67e87386e92073dfd5e34a07476290dc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_761998f9e5c596a5dce3e204b7e52a65a6fce225.1920x1080.jpg

About The Game
Trail of Ayash is an innovative and exciting open world game focused on the native American people, their sturggles and their stories in the Pre-Columbian era. Our world is a unique version of North America dominated by the myths and legends of Its Inhabitants. Various tribes interact with one another, engaging in diplomacy, war, and expansion.

We have crafted an open world rife for exploration and conflict. You will interact with the various tribes of Native Americans. That alone can make for a compelling gaming experience, but there is something more. Something much darker that lurks in the forests and wilderness. In the corner of your eye and the slight cracks in the earth. They hunger. Also, to survive alongside your fellow tribals, You will have to battle the stuff of nightmares. Creatures born from the minds of men and spirits that terrify the soul talked about in hushed voices around campfires by storytellers and shamans. The world of Ayash they are very real and the monsters of this world must be fought lest you lose your life or your soul to beasts both natural and profane.

List Of Included Monsters:
  • Djiein
  • Chenoo
  • Adirondack Tribe
  • Piasa
  • Kutze-ce-te-ut
  • Saumen Kar
  • Wendigo
  • Werebear
  • Werewolf
Native Monsters
All of them come with their characteristics and lifestyle. No two types of the enemy will behave the same. You must change your tactics to survive the everchanging world around you. You are prey. Become the hunter or die alone and forgotten. Unique sacred medicine implemented into healing system. Our accuracy doesn't stop at simulating AI and environments. We have incorporated the rituals of native Americans into our gameplay mechanics.

Dialogues
Period-accurate dialogues based on native beliefs and traditions. Our dialogue is also accurate for the time. Allowing for players to truly roleplay as a part of the world that existed centuries ago.

Quests, Myths, Ordeals
Quests are basing on native legends, myths, and ordeals. Unnatural forces dominate the world. You have the opportunity to save it, or perhaps you crave domination yourself? You can also subjugate the land becoming a worst beast than anything else in the world, or maybe You want to get by. You want to survive in our open questing system anything is possible. Be who You want to be. Do you get a nearby friendly tribal to help you build a bridge over a lake? He may ask you something in return but be wary.

Not all tribes are friendly. Some beasts walk and talk in the shape of men as part of our historical accuracy we have to acknowledge the darker part of native culture. Some tribes engaged in cannibalism, sacrifice, and executions. These all exist in the world and are hostile towards you. Do you fight them or sneak around them? Do you commune with their spirits to hide from them? It's up to you, but you may die in the attempt. You will not be missed.
The Plot
Become Ayash. Once a respected member of his tribe until a trusted family member betrayed and framed him. Alone and without aid Ayash must redeem himself amidst the intrigue of tribal society and the monsters lurking in the wilderness or perhaps avenge himself on those who abandoned him. The story is open-ended. You control Ayash; You decide who will live and who will pay, You choose how Ayash fairs on his trail.

Gameplay video from last year:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dexter

Arcane
Played the Demo for this. It was like a REALLY shitty Amateur Risen where you plays as an Injun. Controls are cryptic, UI is worse, there's no animations while talking etc. Quests are bugged, AI and combat is pretty shitty. I really wouldn't have released a Demo in this state, but it's apparently entirely made by two East Yuros:
20210205164128_1uskqc.jpg

20210205170624_1gqjde.jpg

20210205173523_19hkop.jpg

20210205180410_1fkjhv.jpg

I got stuck in a "Spellcasting Mode" trying to crawl under a log and only managed to get out of it via Trial&Error (Pressing the Number keys puts you in it and the only way to get out of it is pressing R). After trying that for a while I forgot what the key for highlighting items (holding down V instead of just pressing it which enables Eagle vision) was and had to figure that out again. I tried equipping the Tomahawk you pick up right at the beginning and couldn't get it to work, tried clicking on, double-clicking the item in the inventory, tried dragging it over the Paperdoll to the right and it dropped it on the ground instead, pressing different keys etc. and nothing worked. (It was Right Mouse Button over the item in the inventory to equip).

I somehow got locked out of the inventory screen where the items are to the left and the character portrait to the right while attempting to equip items and couldn't get back to it. (Pressing "C" apparently changes the inventory screen into a Stat screen and only pressing "C" again which isn't displayed anywhere can get you back to the Inventory screen). I tried going to the objective marker for the village and got locked in combat without a clue about how to equip weapons still, luckily the enemy apparently didn't know how to climb ladders, I figured out it was RMB right after this:
EOWbyql.jpg

I somehow managed to get to Level 2 and up to 4 by killing hostile Injuns spamming LMB, but had no idea how to Lvl Up or how Skills work (Clicking around on anything here does absolutely nothing, I found out after I was already done with the game that it's something that again only works using RMB):
2oPm8sN.jpg

You have to switch between Primary and Secondary weapons using T for Bow and R for Melee for some reason. I completed a Quest about some missing guy and was suddenly teleported to the water halfway across the map mid conversation. Another Quest called "Tradition" that had me "find a treasure" by pressing V to activate "Injun Sense" near where the Quest marker was says "Bring the valuables back", but the Dialogue Option was greyed out:
yYRg7H6.jpg

I made it to some glaciers, I did a Quest where you have to find bear meat and kill something that can best be described as a Minecrawler from Gothic, on my way back it said to talk to Innawanid, but the conversation didn't trigger no matter what I did:
8eM59pj.jpg

All of that aside from other obvious stuff like a long time to load textures, missing animations while talking, shitty animations while moving and jumping, tough to maneuver just right to be able to hit "E" to talk to people or pick up items, most of the Quests being either Fetch or Kill Quests etc. Not exactly great first impressions. Although the devs apparently took a bunch of Feedback by people and are working on overhauling their Control scheme and fixing the user experience and general Bugs.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
I appreciate the unique setting, but it definitely looks a bit janky. Hopefully they can tighten things up and make a decent game.

vazha

Arcane
Yeah, looks too janky even for Slavjunk, which takes some trying.

JDR13

Arcane
Played the Demo for this. It was like a REALLY shitty Amateur Risen where you plays as an Injun. Controls are cryptic, UI is worse, there's no animations while talking etc. Quests are bugged, AI and combat is pretty shitty. I really wouldn't have released a Demo in this state, but it's apparently entirely made by two East Yuros:.

I played the demo as well, and I quit in less than an hour. I'm surprised you were able to stomach it for as long as you did.

Most of those demos made available for the Steam Game Festival sucked. I probably tried at least 15 games, and only 3 or 4 of them were decent. Only 1 of them (The Riftbreaker) is a game I'll buy for sure.

Codex Year of the Donut

Norfleet

Also, a lot less actual history, since Native Americans didn't really have a lot of documented history, and what little there was, the Europeans tended to destroy for being pagan, rather than preserve. As a result, much of that information has been basically lost. European sources are understandably very biased.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Are those hitching posts in those pictures? Why did the put a fire beneath one? Also im not sure if the native americans/indians/first peoples/mongol invaders had nails by that time, that bench looks suspicious to me

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played this from the Steam Fest demos. It's Risen light. Clunky, not an infinite inventory, but quite big. Combat isn't great, but I managed to win the few fights that I fought. Maybe with some polish, it could be decent. I tried both a one handed weapon, and a spear. Long ranged combat feels like something that you might start combat with, and then change to melee. It feels more polished than before, but still needs more work.
7CAB4EF5C3E9A2017D8F0BF23F5F9277D1E62C2B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom