Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The gamme will be featured in the next CanardPC issue, and the article can be read here (in French, subscribers only):

https://www.canardpc.com/416/votre-horoscope-de-2022-zodiac-legion

Pour leur premier jeu, la plupart des indés se lancent dans un projet modeste. Le studio Draconis, lui, s’est attaqué à un XCOM médiéval-fantastique dopé aux Chevaliers du Zodiaque. En plus, j’y ai joué et ça va être super. C’est comme si les développeurs n’avaient même pas lu la première phrase de cette intro...

approximate translation:

For their first game, most indies start with a small project. But Studio Draconis went with a fantasy XCOM mixed with Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya, an anime that was very popular in Japan, France and Brazil in the late 80s). Moreover, I played it, and it will be great. It is as if the developers didn't even read the first sentence of this intro...

Last edited:

AshenNedra

Novice
The gamme will be featured in the next CanardPC issue, and the article can be read here (in French, subscribers only):

https://www.canardpc.com/416/votre-horoscope-de-2022-zodiac-legion

Pour leur premier jeu, la plupart des indés se lancent dans un projet modeste. Le studio Draconis, lui, s’est attaqué à un XCOM médiéval-fantastique dopé aux Chevaliers du Zodiaque. En plus, j’y ai joué et ça va être super. C’est comme si les développeurs n’avaient même pas lu la première phrase de cette intro...

approximate translation:

For their first game, most indies start with a small project. But Studio Draconis went with a fantasy XCOM mixed with Knights of the Zodiac (Saint Seiya, an anime that was very popular in Japan, France and Brazil in the late 80s). Moreover, I played it, and it will be great. It is as if the developers didn't even read the first sentence of this intro...

Congratulations !

Such great news!

Hope you sell lots and lots of unts and succeed.

M

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Knights of the Zodiac
Any chance of hiring Bernard Minet to sing the main menu or credits song?
That would be cool (for the 30 year old + French at least!), but maybe a bit too risky in the copyright infringement department. The guys behind Chroma Squad got copyright trolled by the makers of Power Rangers for much less than that, and unlike MRY, I am not dual classed in law.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I didn't know cyangmou was involved in the project, no wonder why the game looks so great.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I didn't know cyangmou was involved in the project, no wonder why the game looks so great.
Thanks!
When I started looking for an artist (because I expected the game to be over "soon", back in mid 2014!), I saw Cyangmou's work on Deviantart on a now defunct game called RiftForge, and I knew I had to work with him.

He designed the paperdolling system, and did the initial art direction, and the existing tilesets, and he recommended Ben Addendorf to me, who ended doing most of the character art.

Riftforge art:
d6an6bp-1d2969dc-77e8-403c-9286-7220b4c14458.png

d41a7sh-301af5db-a908-4ce1-a7fe-e6b40f1bc036.png

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
TheEdmon made a preview video.
There are "a few" UI issues, LoS issues, and balance issues (these skeletons are really pushovers), but we're working on it!
I'll make Skeletons cheaper and a bit less incompetent.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Seems alright to me, the only issues i have, aside from the engine optimization, is the text police size, do you plan some options to double its size?
Destructible walls is a really cool feature but stopped there, i'm allergic to streamers videos.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Seems alright to me, the only issues i have, aside from the engine optimization, is the text police size, do you plan some options to double its size?
Destructible walls is a really cool feature but stopped there, i'm allergic to streamers videos.
Good point, I do need to make it bigger.
Currently the main issue is that the game makes too many LoS calculations, and sometimes refuses to update the results (which is why it is tricky to shoot through doorways).
Also, these skeletons are pushovers. We really need to spawn more of them (or maybe I didn't give them enough points to spawn from) :)

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Regarding portraits, given that we can only get a limited number of them, should we make one per sign (or even 2)?
It wouldn't give much choice for each sign (but a generic one would still work), but they would also help illustrate the world.

PBOiDoN.png

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding portraits, given that we can only get a limited number of them, should we make one per sign (or even 2)?
Could you not get like zodiac sign+ weapon superimposed on sign so I know which grunt is on currently?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It wouldn't give much choice for each sign (but a generic one would still work), but they would also help illustrate the world.

PBOiDoN.png

The more, the merrier!

Also, about those zodiac signs, does that mean i get some super attacks like the thousands fists? (or whatever is was called)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Knights of the Zodiac
Any chance of hiring Bernard Minet to sing the main menu or credits song?
Now that you mention it, I remember that Framboisier's daughter was in my class during primary school. I guess that's what they call being caught up in his past

Could you not get like zodiac sign+ weapon superimposed on sign so I know which grunt is on currently?
The Zodiac sign is a good idea. Not sure about the weapon, though. Maybe it would work better to have the weapon icons displayed on the stat block once it will have been redone.

The more, the merrier!

Also, about those zodiac signs, does that mean i get some super attacks like the thousands fists? (or whatever is was called)
Pegasus Ryu Sei Ken?

Actually, we need each of them to have a distinctive style!
However, our protagonists won't have infinite continues...

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I asked Brullov to add some astronomical props to the game, so here are some of them:

DXCS6R1.png

We also need an equivalent of the Antikythera, a mechanical "clock" designed to compute eclipses and planet positions in ancient Greece:

P41VSBu.jpg

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Darth Canoli , sorry for the Twitter links, it should work now!

We also need an equivalent of the Antikythera, a mechanical "clock" designed to compute eclipses and planet positions in ancient Greece:
Sounds like an automated orrery.
oh, you are right, and the orrery would make for a nicer "monitor" (as the Antikythera is a large box with discs on it).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Do you think telekinesis around hostiles should trigger pinning checks?
Pinning is the "replacement" for attack of opportunities, and prevents the character from moving, while giving him an Att and Def debuff?
It would be weird to trigger pinning by using TK on unwilling opponents, but I wonder whether it makes sense that you can use TK to move your own characters in the middle of the opponents without problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom