Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

I like what I've seen from this guy. It's a shmup-centred channel, but he talks about general gaming issues every once in awhile. Pretty chill and the dude has some serious shmup chops.

otteaux

Novice
Not sure how many folks here remember a CD called "Interactive Entertainment" that used to come with Computer Games Magazine, but someone uploaded all that content to Youtube. It's nice for a little background nostalgia.

ferratilis

Magister
Dunno if decino was already recommended here, but he has some nice Doom mechanics analyses. Even if you're an old school Doomer, you can learn something new and interesting.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That was a good video - after the last 8h video on Morrowind i was wondering if he'd just be repeating parts of that, but turns out he focused on something different: how important the world (and worldbuilding) itself is for Morrowind. I think a lot of people ignore or downplay this part - including some even in the video's own comments, considering some "alternatives" they mention :-P

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you're like me and you wonder why the fuck anyone likes KotOR 2, here's a 3 hour video on the subject.

tl;dw He spends a great deal of the video complaining about how boring and poorly designed most of the areas are (which is all true). His praise is mostly for the companions.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is he actually going to say anything interesting about the game, or maybe his thoughts on it or is he just going through the game explaining what happens?

Grim Monk

Arcane

Youtube said:
"This video is age-restricted and only available on YouTube."

"Sign in to confirm your age."

"This video may be inappropriate for some users.
"

If people reading this thread don't want to bother with logging in every time one of those comes up on a random video:

https://api.invidious.io/
A handy list of alternative frontends.

Pick one and paste the Name or Url of the video you want to watch.

Example: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=qvk46iHbTIQ or https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=qvk46iHbTIQ

Sometimes the video won't be found or won't play correctly and you will have to try another site from the list.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
Not sure if this guy already came up here but he does long form analysis of Bethesda and of its defenders. His latest video alone is 4 hours long.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Nobody needs 4 hour videos for or against fucking Fallout 4 just like nobody needs a video explaining why cancer is or isnt that bad.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Not sure if this guy already came up here but he does long form analysis of Bethesda and of its defenders. His latest video alone is 4 hours long.

I kept this on in the background. I never made it more than 10 minutes into the source video because he started talking about how genius the trash collection is in FO4, but needless to say his argumentation does not improve as it goes along. By the end he's praising the game because faction quests have gameplay appropriate to their factions.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Oh wow this know-nothing claimed UU was the start of action combat being integrated with RPGs.

What an ignoramus.

LMAO and then he claims you wouldn't have Dark Souls without this "innovation" in RPG combat.

Dude Xanadu did this shit like 6 years earlier, and there's things older than that too. Even Western things.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I get the feeling this guy is going through some shit. "A quest needs to be about your spiritual medieval journey to change your entire philosophical outlook on life itself" :D

Timestamped:

This is hilarious lol.

Yeah, I fucking rolled my eyes and turned it off after he started doing that shit. Pretty sure it was early in the video too. What an epic phaggot.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is he actually going to say anything interesting about the game, or maybe his thoughts on it or is he just going through the game explaining what happens?

So i just finished watching the entire video (after watching the one about KOTOR 1, which is also interesting). Basically what he's doing is a sort of "let's play" (with a bit more editing) without having played these games before and writing down notes and then making a video based on these notes he took - so you're basically following his playthrough and his thought from the game "as they happen" (sort of). It is interesting (assuming you care about "let's plays" anyway) especially for KOTOR II which starts very poorly (like him i basically spent the first few hours of the game without caring much about what was going on, though i got interested a bit earlier) yet it increasingly becomes better as the game goes on (and you can see that from his comments). He does analyze the game but it happens "while" the playthrough is going on - e.g. around the middle of the video he goes over every companion (which is everyone except Mandalore) since he believes that he has enough knowledge about them to present each one and his thoughs but that is *up to that point of his playthrough* (ie. he doesn't know what happens later - well, strictly speaking he does know when he was editing the video but he's following his notes).

I found it an interesting way to analyze a game and personally i like reading/seeing "first time" reactions to games i've already played :-P so i enjoyed both videos (even if the video about the first game wasn't that positive).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom