Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] CRPG nomenclature - 'character' or 'toon'?

What do you call the player character in CRPGs?

• Character

• Toon

• Kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Specifically for RPGs, the proper nomenclature is player-character(s), or PC(s) for short. For computer games in general, the representation of the player in the game world is the player's avatar.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I think the distinction between "character" and "toon/avatar" is chiefly centered on "is this a self-insert or is this a fictional person that isn't your weird, personal fantasy and you just happen to be playing them". With MMOs there's not really any of the latter.

Momock

Augur
I didn't want to know that retards use the term "toon" to say PC or MC. Erase my memories please, OP!

Pearass

Educated
I'm technically a zoomer, and I have never met a single person in my life who calls their character a Toon. It's always PC or simply character. Not that it matters or anything, just saying that I'm not sure it's a purely zoomer thing.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Happy to see the Codex is stemming the tide against decline.

I expected worse, what with all the jRPGs, anime and shit.

DraQ

Arcane
I think the distinction between "character" and "toon/avatar" is chiefly centered on "is this a self-insert or is this a fictional person that isn't your weird, personal fantasy and you just happen to be playing them". With MMOs there's not really any of the latter.
The proper term for self-insert is "avatar".
"Toon" seems like it should be reserved for this specific kind of MMOs and MMO-like games only tards and assorted shitheads can stomach.

Caim

Arcane
There's also smurfs, but that implies that there's a certain set of mechanics in place that are being circumvented.

DraQ

Arcane

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So which one does the 'dex prefer and why?

From a storyfag perspective, I dislike the term 'toon' since it overemphasizes the visual (+/- mechanical) aspect(s) of the player character to the detriment of the narrative role which the PC likewise plays in (most) single player CRPGs.

I'm guessing that it first found usage within MMORPG terminology (where it'd make most sense) before being applied to single player CRPG protagonists, but anyhow: character >>> toon.

I usually call him Geralt or simply, 'The Witcher'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom