Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daggerfall Unity mods thread

D.R.E.A.M. or retro rendering?

• Total voters

Bloodeyes

Arcane
This is a thread for mod recommendations separate from the main Daggerfall Unity thread. I'll post my mod list below and I encourage others to make recommendations about Daggerfall Unity mods and settings tweaks. What's YOUR ideal setup of Daggerfall Unity? Do you like it oldschool with retro rendering and crunchy pixels like the original? Or are you more of a Dream guy who likes seeing an old game made new again?

- If you've yet to play DFU start here to install the game. It's free. Then read the manual. You may also be interested in this google drive link to the game's official strategy guide. It's not necessary to read that to play though.

- If you're using mods you're better off doing manual installs than using the Nexus mod manager. Just follow the instructions on the DL page or in the included .txt. It's usually just extracting a single file to your mods folder. DFU even auto resolves load order issues in its inbuilt mod manager. It's a game made by modders so is very mod friendly!

- If you're feeling especially manly you could just try the original game using Daggerfall Setup but I'd suggest starting with Unity. If you do want to play it though, there's an excellent guide to dungeoneering on Reddit which I think is required knowledge to even attempt a playthrough of classic Daggerfall.

My current old school graphics setup:

You need to get reshade and install it. From there use the "levels" shader to adjust the black point to 18 and put the white point to max. Then use the "tonemap" shader to adjust the saturation to 700 and the exposure to 075. This isn't hard to do and is an absolutely crucial step in improving the look of retro rendering mode. You need to turn night ambient light and dungeon ambient light back to their default values once you do this (trust me nights will be dark enough).

If for whatever reason you run into trouble doing that...

- Here's how to install Reshade and add presets
- Here's my preset
- You don't actually need my preset. It's just installing a program and moving sliders so you can do it. The above settings would be a good start though.
- DFU is 0.11.1 as of writing. Later releases may have fixed the color palette issues. The devs are aware of them and plan to have it sorted before 1.0 at the latest. If they're fixed you don't need Reshade (and most of this information will probably be out of date by then also as all these mods are WIP).

The settings I use for a retro look
Oi3GsBk.jpg

XG609qv.jpg

k41F5OK.jpg

Txy9nBx.jpg

mmgk7GM.jpg

Mods used:

The end result:

The lake by Privateers' Hold

diR8fHM.jpg

Daytime in Daggerfall

MNnpMhD.jpg

Winter night in Wickham Hall

72u0DNx.jpg

Dungeon exterior on a dark, clear night

Ct0RVqa.jpg

Rainy day in Tunbeth Hamlet

aTHVEVW.jpg

PC wearing modded armor pieces (Roleplay and Realism - Items)

JQM4uvp.jpg

Stunning modern graphics setup:

My former mod list, now sitting in a folder because I like retro rendering better. This list gives a totally different and beautiful look to the game and runs well together. I'd say give it a try even if you prefer the old graphics (as I do) because an entire mod list can be dragged and dropped into DFU or just disabled/enabled with one click, and seeing Daggerfall look like this is really something else. This mod list is awesome, I just got bored and wanted something different.

Better Ambience: Adds sounds and some fog effects to dungeons and the world as well as a few other subtle changes that do indeed improve the ambience of the game.

Birds in Daggerfall: Adds birds. You can customize how many birds but the default is fine. It looks really nice.

Dream: Better graphics. Covers a bunch of things like menus, NPCs, enemies and of course textures in the world. It's by far the most dramatic change of all these mods. A must have unless you prefer the original graphics (some do).

Convenient Clock: Ace little mod. Adds a clock to the game so you don't have to press "I" to know what time it is. Customisable. I set it to day, date, time in 24h time but you can set it to whatever and change the size.

Distant Terrain: Looks nice. Looks really nice.

Handpainted Models: Replaces some of the 2D objects (things like treasure piles) with 3D ones. Looks really good.

Loading Screen: With all these graphical mods the game does have (relatively short) load times and if you don't have the loading screen it's just a black screen. So it's a must.

NPC Health Indicators: Customizable health bars for enemies. Set them to only appear when they take damage or it looks stupid. This mod is a must have. I like them percentage based for simplicity.

Enhanced Sky: Replaces the sky. Really impressive mod and a necessity when using dream.

Post Processing: Adds some post processing effects to the game. When they're all turned on they're a bit over the top. Tinker with them to your liking and they do make the game look nicer.

Real Grass: Nice grass mod. Really improves the look of the wild areas in summer. Can make it a bit harder to see dungeon entrances but that's what levitation is for. Turn insects off because they still appear in winter which looks wrong. I installed the optional vibrant wind mod too but I can't tell if it actually does anything.

Splat Terrain Texturing: Makes water look nicer. I'm sure it does other things too. Edit: Yes it does. Just use this mod.

Taverns Redone (+ dream patch): Taverns are still as insane as every other randomly generated building in this game but now they look nicer.

Improved Interior Lighting: A must have. Changes the color of light to look warmer and more like firelight. Now only magical light looks like artificial white light. A small change with a big effect. Love it.

Torch Taker: My favorite kind of mod, a single, useful change. Lets you take torches from dungeon walls.

World Tooltips: This one is a must have. Like the clock, the loading screen and enemy health bars this mod adds an essential feature to the game that you'll never play without once you use it. Honestly these three mods should just be incorporated as options in Daggerfall unity's enhancements.

Start Saver: Creates a save immediately after character creation in case you forget to save in between creating your character and dying to the first rat/bat you encounter. I've never actually been that retarded but I'd be super pissed if that ever did happen. Hence this mod.

Readied Spellcasting Hands: Show's your PC's hands at the ready when you've got a spell ready to go. A small tweak. Not essential but nice and it helps with aiming if you don't use a crosshair.

Drafty secret doors: Plays a sound effect of blowing wind when you're near a secret door. Handy. I wouldn't call it a cheat because it's less cheaty than how I usually find secret doors (looking at the automap).

Some settings changes I made in the above mods:

• Turned motion blur way down in the post processing mod as the default settings were OTT
  • Turned eye adaptation off in the same mod as everything was too dark
  • Turned down the dungeon darkness in better ambience (counter intuitively this makes dungeons darker)
  • Disabled flying insects in real grass (the butterflies look nice but are a bit incongruous in snowy weather)
  • Set terrain distance to 2 in game settings because distant terrain causes lag during loading and the further your terrain distance the longer the lag takes to subside
  • Mucked with post processing a lot. Can't remember all the changes just play with it and see what looks good. Bloom looks absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea why they included that.
  • Changed convenient clock to a text box with date and time and scaling it down to .7 (default height) to work with Dream
  • I also ran the reshade thing that comes bundled with dream and it sharpened everything up a little.
  • You should read KingOfWorms in depth settings guide on the Dream nexus page if you're using it. He tells you how to set it up right. Then change stuff to taste.

The end result:

Combat

QYoMPDW.jpg

A tomb in the wilderness of Daggerfall

XQz0quc.jpg

Tunbeth Hamlet Fighter's guild

rRmPjIW.jpg

Good mods I don't use:

Realtime reflections: Recommended with some reservations. This is an astonishingly beautiful graphical mod. Don't use it unless your computer is decent because it will break your heart to have to disable it when your framerate drops. Edit: Actually there is an issue with this one. Currently when an NPC or grass is near water a transparent black box appears around them. It's still a gorgeous mod but this issue made it no longer worth the performance hit for me.

Roleplay and realism (+ roleplay and realism items): Makes the game a little harder in quite a few subtle ways. Turn off the NPC and enemy replacers if using dream and turn off the horse riding changes because they are annoying. Edit: Just use the items mod alone. It's the best (only?) custom items mod for DFU. It's really, really cool. The main Roleplay and Realism mod is unnecessary and a bit intrusive. All the good stuff is in the items mod and it functions alone. You get more from it without D.R.E.A.M.

Quest pack 1: It's good. Adds quests that are good enough that a new player like me can't tell them from the vanilla ones except a couple where the quest dialogue box tells you to use console cheats. They should cut that shit, it breaks the 4th wall. Would be universally recommended if not for those quests, and there's only a couple of them. Edit: I've removed all modded quest/faction content from my game. There's nothing wrong with QP1, I just don't use it.

Sneak and crouch combined: Does what it says on the tin. A solid mod and a sensible change. Edit: I deleted it. Nothing wrong with this one, just found it unnecessary and nuked it.

Pilgrimages/archeologists: Have installed but haven't encountered the content yet. It doesn't break anything. Same goes for decorator as I haven't got a house in game yet. Will update when I actually play the content of these mods. Edit: Nuked these before I ever played the content. Still have them in a folder for a future playthrough.

Races redone: Adjusts starting stats after character creation based on race and gives some racial bonuses. A bit of a cheat as it gives one free advantage. Not game breaking but not necessary either and a cheat is a cheat.

Basic magic regen:
Makes mana regen like in later Elder Scrolls games. Not totally OP if you use restraint with the settings but it's still cheating. Edit: RPG Codex member Ramnozack has edited this mod to allow you to set a cap for how much of your total SP you can regen without resting. This sounds a lot more balanced. He uploaded it here.

Levelup adjuster: Lets you set your attribute and HP gains to a static value if you're someone who is tempted to reload when they get a shit roll. It also lets you get the max every time if you're a milksop and Daggerfall is too hard for you. I don't use this one anymore but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it so long as you use the median HP setting and 5 attribute points per level. Or you could just not use it.

Honorable mention: Ironman and ironman game systems. Adds some amazing features and an ironman mode but is currently non functional until another version comes out. One to watch. I hope a working version releases soon because the next one is going to include a nerf for lycanthropy.

Mods I don't care for:

Trees of Daggerfall: The trees look cool but they are constantly shaking. I think they're supposed to be moving in the wind but it looks weird as hell and they would look better just being still. Tried disabling vibrant wind but no change. Also this is incomplete so you have the 2D trees in winter and the 3D trees in summer at present which is just odd.

Travel options: Weird, janky way of replacing fast travel (which I don't think you need to do). Lots of people use this but I hate it. Autopathing across the map at 50x speed is not the more immersive option IMO. This wouldn't be a problem except other mods require it like...

Climate and calories: Requires travel options. Would be an ok mod otherwise for people who like survival mechanics in their RPGs but it's not my thing. The survival takes center stage instead of being a low key flavor thing as I would prefer. Daggerfall is a dungeon crawler first and foremost so the survival elements shouldn't dominate as they do in this mod.

Realistic wagon: Requires travel options so didn't keep it installed long enough to try driving the wagon. My gut tells me I don't really want a realistic wagon anyway.

Lousy lycans: Provides a much needed nerf to lycanthropy but requires realistic wagon (which requires travel options). Also sounds a bit extreme as it makes you drop all your items when you transform.

Scars: Randomly kills you every so often by spawning high level creatures next to you. Nice ideas here and very ambitious mod but needs level scaling badly to be less of a Russian roulette experience.

Unlevelled loot: It's exactly as OP as it sounds. One for people who value "realism" over balance and progression.

General advice for gameplay

For game settings

• Disable allow guild quest selection
  • Disable allow magic item repair
  • Disable instant repairs
  • Disable enemy infighting
  • Disable advanced climbing

Those are just cheats and ruin game balance. Even if you're a new player you should have these off.

I also suggest:

• Turn off the archery changes (they make bows unusably slow)
  • Remap attack to left click and interact to right click. Feels more natural that way. Remap cast spell to E or something else convenient. Just spend some time sorting out the controls before you start.
  • In general look over the settings carefully. Many of the enhancements are cheats.
  • Ambient dungeon lighting, player torch light and nighttime ambient light can all be decreased and should be (unless you're using Reshade to increase the black point).
  • The item based player torch is a great addition made in DFU. Leave it on.

In the settings.ini

• Change the zoom distance of the map and make the dungeon map always solid. There's a guide for how to do it on the nexus (just don't set the zoom as far as he says unless you have really good eyes or a massive monitor).
  • You can turn on smaller dungeons in the .ini if you want to. I'd say don't because Daggerfall is a dungeon crawler and you're reducing the primary challenge element in the game.
  • To get to the settings.ini it's C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity
  • You need to show hidden files to see appdata.

Character creation:

• You can use the fastest game speed even if it's your first time playing Daggerfall. The combat is not the hard part of Daggerfall. If you're half decent at playing RPGs you won't struggle to make a viable build.
  • Don't take immunities or play an Altmer. It's totally possible to use advantages to remove a lot of the challenge from the game. Being paralyzed isn't fun but neither is a game where none of the enemies are a threat to you. By all means make an optimal build but these advantages are too much and they ruin the early game (plus you get items and spells for this in the mid game anyway).
  • Don't become a werewolf/wereboar. It's not just OP, it's basically god mode. It's fun for a few minutes but then you realize the game has no challenge at all now.
  • You can choose to spend all your time doing tedious grinding to max out skills and have an epic build that you probably won't even finish because you'll get so bored. Or you can choose to pick primary, major and minor skills you will actually use and which synergize well with your advantages and your highest stats. Then go on a dungeon crawling adventure.
  • Don't abuse spell creation to skip level progression. You're only cheating yourself.
  • Both minmaxing and playing a generalist are viable. Being a generalist is smart. Minmaxing is fun. CHA is your dump stat. The peasants being rude is actually pretty funny.
  • If you're minmaxing don't be a wimp. Take real disadvantages along with your advantages.
  • Despite what everyone says, go ahead and play a pregen class if you like. Or use the multichoice questions and play what the game gives you. You will be less powerful but the game will still be playable. This game doesn't have to be about being a Mary Sue. Having strengths and weaknesses is more interesting. Just remember that no magic at all = pain in Daggerfall. Don't do that the first time.
  • Breaking the combat difficulty is nothing to brag about. A young child could figure that out. Even if you're not trying to it will probably happen anyway with the items you find. It is a Bethesda game after all. Loot is abundant.
  • Language skills are functionally useless. Even for roleplaying they do nothing.
  • If you make a custom class and the game gives you a backstory that conflicts with your roleplaying concept you can edit it or rewrite it entirely. To do this note the number of your save file. It appears in the corner of the screenshot associated with that save in the save/load interface. Then go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity\Saves\the number of your save file and find the bio.txt and edit it in notepad.
  • Unless you've thoroughly minmaxed your base stats and rolled 50 times to get a perfect character you'll feel seriously underpowered at level 1. You probably didn't fuck up your build, stick with it until at least level 5 before you give up and reroll.

Dungeoneering

• Don't play a character that can't cast recall, levitate, water breathing and water walking unless you know what you're getting yourself into. This means you'll need to take the increased magery advantage even if you're not taking magic skills. Buy these spells on your first trip to town before you buy anything else. Buy your wagon second.
  • Cast recall whenever you enter a dungeon. Make it a ritual. I cast recall, put my gold in the wagon, rest to regain SP, light my lantern and save before I even start, every time.
  • Double click to put a marker on your automap. Do this a lot. If you come to a branching path mark the path you didn't take. When you come back to explore that way delete the marker with double right click.
  • When all the markers are gone and you've looked literally everywhere hit ` to open the console and tele2qspawn or tele2qmarker. It sucks when you have to do this but you did the best you could. If you follow the above advice you should be able to find your objective honestly most times.

Last edited:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
good thread. I got tired of looking through the 5 other df threads for coherent and actionable recommendations.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Shamelessly bumping this thread to the top because I spent a bit of time reworking it and I want it to be seen. I promise I won't keep doing this. If it doesn't get any engagement this time I'll let it die.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Keep bumping it now and then mate, I found it interesting just after you just bumped it there. I didn't even know there were that many Daggerfall mods :) I set up DFU during the last covid lockdown but never got around to playing it, it's handy to have this list around if I do.

purupuru

Learned
Do you intend to find out which mod conflicted with smaller dungeons? I have it on and it is working as intended so far. And from what I read elsewhere it basically works fine for most.
I only installed Basic Magic Regen, Convenient Clock, Levelup Adjuster, NPC Health Indicator, Sneak&Crouch Combined and Loading Screens. I also have Roleplay&Realism but only activated the bed sleeping feature. I suspect it's either the quest pack or the archeologist mod.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Do you intend to find out which mod conflicted with smaller dungeons? I have it on and it is working as intended so far. And from what I read elsewhere it basically works fine for most.
I only installed Basic Magic Regen, Convenient Clock, Levelup Adjuster, NPC Health Indicator, Sneak&Crouch Combined and Loading Screens. I also have Roleplay&Realism but only activated the bed sleeping feature. I suspect it's either the quest pack or the archeologist mod.
I guess I could try but I'm honestly liking the original size dungeons now. Total flip flop I know but I now feel that the massive, illogical, insane dungeons are a core aspect of the game's challenge and overcoming them is part of the fun. Still seeing as I'm the only one I've heard of experiencing that quest breaking issue I'll adjust my post to reflect that.

CootKeeper

Augur
Last summer I toyed with DFU and I thought those 3 mods were really good. You might be interested as well:

- Interesting Terrain. It looks really good. It will replace Distant terrain in your load list once it adds LODs (hopefully in a near future update).
- Automap improvements. Subtle changes yet very cool. You can have a better view of a whole city.
- Drafty secret doors. It makes looking for secret doors less of a chore, yet without making it too obvious.

I thought Dream and the grass mod were meh. They made the game look like a mobile game. I prefer vanilla grafix like a true codexian.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Last summer I toyed with DFU and I thought those 3 mods were really good. You might be interested as well:

- Interesting Terrain. It looks really good. It will replace Distant terrain in your load list once it adds LODs (hopefully in a near future update).
- Automap improvements. Subtle changes yet very cool. You can have a better view of a whole city.
- Drafty secret doors. It makes looking for secret doors less of a chore, yet without making it too obvious.

I thought Dream and the grass mod were meh. They made the game look like a mobile game. I prefer vanilla grafix like a true codexian.
Thanks dude. I already did the ini edits recommended by automap improvements (though I don't like it as zoomed out as he does). I thought calling ini changes a mod was a little grandiose so I mentioned that in game settings changes. I've added the link to his guide in the OP. I've also installed the other 2 as well and I'll see how they go.

Edit: Well I just loaded into privateers hold with interesting terrains enabled. Following the modders advice I disabled improved terrain sampler in distant terrain. It looked way worse than just using distant terrain with improved terrain sampler enabled. That's a sample of one location but so far I don't like it.

Edit 2: Drafty secret doors is a good mod. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I added an update for a setup that I think is a nice compromise between just playing the original game is DOSBox and going full next gen. I still universally recommend trying the modern graphics setup. It's beautiful. But if like me you start craving a more abstract and cohesive look to the game try the lightly modded setup. Changing between the two takes 2 minutes and does not harm save files.

mastroego

Arcane
Perhaps a sticky would be useful?
Mod delving fatigue is the one thing that is still making me postpone the installation.
A quick reference is greatly appreciated.
Well, perhaps I'm even waiting for more and bigger mods to come out.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Bloodeyes
What am I doing wrong...? I've extracted all of your recommended mods but just Better Ambience, Birds in Daggerfall, Distant Terrain and Drafty Secret Doors show up in my Mods list when starting DF Unity.
I have no idea. I've never had a DFU mod fail to install on me. Some were out of date and did nothing but they all show up in the mods list. Are you using an old version of Daggerfall Unity? 11.1.1 is the latest. Are mods enabled in settings (by default they are I think). All I've ever done is extract the .dfmod file to my mods folder (except for a few select mods). You didn't do anything daft like extract the containing folder or accidently DL the linux versions or older versions or something?

Installing and uninstalling is just drag and drop. Can't think what to tell you. You may get lucky and get a reply on the DFU forums. It's not a very active board though. I've posted there a couple of times and crickets.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You didn't do anything daft like extract the containing folder or accidently DL the linux versions or older versions or something?

Installing and uninstalling is just drag and drop. Can't think what to tell you. You may get lucky and get a reply on the DFU forums. It's not a very active board though. I've posted there a couple of times and crickets.
Not yet that senile ;). Did the drag-n-drop thing as well but just those listed show up. I'll try again later, thanks.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Thanks for this thread, this made me want to give Daggerfall Unity a shot and I'm having fun playing it right now. Looks pretty good for a 25 year old game.

Mostly listened to you when it came to mods and settings, although I see a lot of people complaining about it, I think the drag-to-attack, or whatever you want to call it, combat controls are pretty fun and make the combat more engaging to simply spam-clicking.

I also decided to use the basic regen mod after a while because I found myself only using magic for healing essentially and sometimes a levitate or buoyancy. I did edit the script in the regen mod to add an option to only regen 10-100% of your maximum magicka instead of always regenerating up to 100% though, and I think that balances it out a bit. Currently have the regen set to only 30% and it plays nicely, allows me to actually use destruction spells sometimes.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Thanks for this thread, this made me want to give Daggerfall Unity a shot and I'm having fun playing it right now. Looks pretty good for a 25 year old game.

Mostly listened to you when it came to mods and settings, although I see a lot of people complaining about it, I think the drag-to-attack, or whatever you want to call it, combat controls are pretty fun and make the combat more engaging to simply spam-clicking.

I also decided to use the basic regen mod after a while because I found myself only using magic for healing essentially and sometimes a levitate or buoyancy. I did edit the script in the regen mod to add an option to only regen 10-100% of your maximum magicka instead of always regenerating up to 100% though, and I think that balances it out a bit. Currently have the regen set to only 30% and it plays nicely, allows me to actually use destruction spells sometimes.
That sounds like a pretty good compromise. Can you post the edited .dfmod to mediafire (or equivalent) so I can add it to my OP?

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

That sounds like a pretty good compromise. Can you post the edited .dfmod to mediafire (or equivalent) so I can add it to my OP?
Sure, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/w7jkdrjqb6mpbqv/basicmagicregen.dfmod/file

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vortex mod manager works wonderfully for daggerfall unity

Savea a bit of time and hassle
Using it and it is very easy and streamlined. However, even though Vortex shows all the mods enabled when Daggerfall Unity starts and I click the mods button it still only shows the ones I listed above as active. I have no idea if the other mods are actually working?!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom