Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

kreight

I feel like very little has changed since the first game. I played the first one with a controller. This time I didn't even bother to install it. Playing with K&M requires some practice.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I think i sort of learned how to fight on first difficulty. I'm pretty confident when fighting 1x1 now. Still dying, but not that much, mostly when game throws new enemies. Fists are stronk. You can kill almost anything just repeating jump forward+retreat. Just need to learn timing for counters.
Almost finished third region. Farmed nigga for amrita and his set for a bit.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
i was busy during this week, so i only did the tutorial and a brief training session in dojo. it's me or you have a relatively small window to chain attacks? e.g. if i rapidly double click the attack button it does 2 attacks of the combo, but if i wait half a second after the first press it doesnt register the attack at all. it is very annoying and i don't remember this from first nioh, but i maybe remember wrong. it kills fluidity a lot

i wanted to go medium/heavy armour+odachi so standard noob build like i had in nioh1 but i found early on some white-bone corrupted tonfas and now i am wrecking everybody's shit. i dont even know what the fuck i am doing just randomly pressing X and Y on controller and r1 for that ki pulse/demon dance move in high stance. are tonfas broken in this game? i mean i am still early in the game but human enemies and most yokais get their ki depleted surprisingly fast. yatsu-no kami soul core seems also to be pretty strong.

Hyperion

Arcane
Tonfas are excellent, but forgotten by Team Ninja and thus a bit boring to use despite being extremely effective. Unfortunately when you get to Dream of the Demon, monster life outscales your damage, while Ki remains pretty much the same, so things like elements to apply confusion to up your damage are useful. Because Tonfa and Splitstaff are the only weapons with no slashing option available, the former gets left behind while the latter has the most broken skill in the game in Dragon Dance.

Fists do pretty much everything the Tonfa can do, but better. The only use Tonfa has is putting Shove as your high stance finisher and just obliterating human enemy Ki while they spam Guard. And since Claws are a slashing form of Fists they get an inherent 20% damage boost.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
65 hours in and I think I'm just bored of it. Like every other nu-diablo influenced game you get your build going and that's the entire game... Rest is just going through the motions pointlessly to get more stats/gear levels whatever to be able to easily repeat the same campaign/depths with higher enemy stats over and over. Drop percentages and chance to get worse loot and literally every other loot/level mechanic exists solely to pad out the playtime by getting you to do the same thing over and over. Literal waste of your life-time.

That one tough human boss in the third area was a nice surprise, though (chinese bell dagger or whatever the mission is called). I wanted more of this.

Feels like too much of a rehash of the first game (normal for japanese series, but those usually have fun stories or characters you come to care about or something, this one does not), too, and of course you have no influence on how the story turns out whatsoever.

Good game if you're a fan of this sort of thing or wanted just plain more of Nioh 1 (though I think this might be easier overall, except for that one optional boss), otherwise idk. Story and characters are skip-city, so it's down to how much you like the combat mechanics... But again, you get your build going and that pretty much means you've conquered the game regardless of how much there is left to play. It's basically like path of exile but with actual player skill involved.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
It's basically like path of exile but with actual player skill involved.

And that's good. I always wanted a Path of Exile with gameplay more involved than just holding down the right mouse button and the Nioh series scratches that itch perfectly for me.

Personally I'm having a lot of fun right now. Going slowly through the game since I don't that much free time right now. Just finished the second region. I'm trying to stay away from magic and other OP cheese shit and just mastering the various moves and combos of my chosen weapon. The only really difficult encounter so far was the giant snake, but the other stuff doesn't seem trivial.

One of the things I love about this series is the feeling you get from slowly mastering the fighting system and the enemies. Like the first time I encounter a new demon enemy I'll die to it once or twice. Then I'll win but waste a few potions. A few missions later I can flawlessly kill that enemy type, even when it's accompanied by other lesser enemies.

It's a combination of what I love about Dark Souls games and Devil May Cry games. In Dark Souls, because the combat system is so simple and limited, you only need to master the enemies. In Devil May Cry, the enemies are pushovers until the highest difficulties become unlocked, so all you're doing is mastering the combat system most of the time. In Nioh however, you're mastering both at the same time from the beginning of the game. That's why this series, despite being derivative in a lot of way, will always hold a special place in my combatfag heart.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

And that's good. I always wanted a Path of Exile with gameplay more involved than just holding down the right mouse button and the Nioh series scratches that itch perfectly for me.

Personally I'm having a lot of fun right now. Going slowly through the game since I don't that much free time right now. Just finished the second region. I'm trying to stay away from magic and other OP cheese shit and just mastering the various moves and combos of my chosen weapon.

Hope you continue to enjoy it, then!

There's quite a bit of OP stuff in the game, and eventually, everything can become OP... That's part of the problem with all those progression mechanics and whatnot.

You pick a weapon/armor type combo yet or still experimenting?

Suicidal

Arcane

Personally I'm having a lot of fun right now. Going slowly through the game since I don't that much free time right now. Just finished the second region. I'm trying to stay away from magic and other OP cheese shit and just mastering the various moves and combos of my chosen weapon.

There's quite a bit of OP stuff in the game, and eventually, everything can become OP... That's part of the problem with all those progression mechanics and whatnot.

Doing spear for now. I always wanted to play a spearman in one of the Souls games or Souls-likes but never got around to it.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Doing spear for now. I always wanted to play a spearman in one of the Souls games or Souls-likes but never got around to it.
Spear is a good choice, only really becomes OP later when everything else also does. Can also cheese that one really hard human optional boss a bit with the first mid-stance poke and range extension skill, but still takes a lot of skill to pull off reliably. Definitely takes more skill against the tougher foes than some of the other weapons.

I made the mistake of starting with ninjutsu+kusarigama (countered by some human bosses who block your ninjutsu spam and have enough area damage shit to hit you with, and punish long kusari animations... But otherwise laughably OP until enemy HP scaling becomes crazy late-game long past ng/ng+), then quit that to do odachi+heavy armor (not too strong early on due to limited KI and boss damage but once you have some ki+ki pulse and some tankiness to survive the odd grab attack that you fail to dodge, you can just stand in front of bosses and attack + ki-pulse them to death and you stagger all human/humanoid enemies and bosses unless they buff themselves against it).

Suicidal

Arcane

Spear is a good choice, only really becomes OP later when everything else also does. Can also cheese that one really hard human optional boss a bit with the first mid-stance poke and range extension skill, but still takes a lot of skill to pull off reliably. Definitely takes more skill against the tougher foes than some of the other weapons.

I made the mistake of starting with ninjutsu+kusarigama (countered by some human bosses who block your ninjutsu spam and have enough area damage shit to hit you with, and punish long kusari animations... But otherwise laughably OP until enemy HP scaling becomes crazy late-game long past ng/ng+), then quit that to do odachi+heavy armor (not too strong early on due to limited KI and boss damage but once you have some ki+ki pulse and some tankiness to survive the odd grab attack that you fail to dodge, you can just stand in front of bosses and attack + ki-pulse them to death and you stagger all human/humanoid enemies and bosses unless they buff themselves against it).

What I like about the spear is that each stance plays very differently and has different encounters in which they shine. High stance is great for damage and has some AoE abilities, good when you get swarmed by those goblin things. Mid range I found works very well at keeping enemies (especially humans) at a distance thanks to the fast long range poke and I like the skill that flips the enemy behind you, so if they do close the distance I just flip them back, which puts them at max poking range again and it also works on human bosses. Low stance is great for mobility cause of all the vaulting skills that let you jump around on your spear, I use it often on monster bosses cause it lets you jump over attacks. Maybe it's the same for other weapons, but from my memory of the first Nioh, where I used the sword and dual swords, the different stances were less diverse. I'm also doing a better job at actually utilizing all 3 stances and their different mechanics than I did in the first Nioh, where I mostly stuck to one stance, which is a very haram way to play this game.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Feels like too much of a rehash of the first game (normal for japanese series, but those usually have fun stories or characters you come to care about or something, this one does not), too, and of course you have no influence on how the story turns out whatsoever.

I was just thinking this earlier, that really this is more like Nioh 1.5. A lot of the mobs are the same and the levels all feel pretty familiar. The Yokai stuff really doesn't change the core combat enough to make it feel much different from Nioh. I'm enjoying it, but after 130 hours of Nioh, (which I know is small fry compared to some), I'm not feeling the same grab that I did with the first. I still think some of that is down to the extremely lacklustre storytelling, but the 'seen it all before' feeling doesn't help.

jungl

Augur
game is okay. I made my character black and really goofy looking it helps migrate the lackluster story. Difficulty is fair mostly comes down to avoid forgetting to put on the latest armor so not to get 2-3 shotted.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have played Nioh2 for 15h and I am really enjoying it. It's a good sequel except for their dumb decision to do this dumb silent protagonist schtick. I really like the new character editor (it's even one of the best ones I have seen in years) but I don't think with hiring 2 people for the voice acting would have destroyed their AA budget. Still, the new yokai mechanics are really fun and I think the enemies and bosses are more interesting than in the first game. Kinda sad that Team Ninja doesn't want to do Nioh 3 because I there really is out there that plays like it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw i don't think story is bad. From chapter 3, when people start dying left and right i'm actually enjoying it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tonfas are excellent, but forgotten by Team Ninja and thus a bit boring to use despite being extremely effective. Unfortunately when you get to Dream of the Demon, monster life outscales your damage

Just like the 1st game then. Tonfas dropped off way faster on Demon+ than other weps. Also the terrible range was pissing me off, especially after switching from a spear.

In the 1st game spear was the most fun weapon bar none. Great range, good damage, fantastic moves, overall almost as effective as odachi. Turned annoying human opponents into pinatas - the trip/stab/merciless barrage combo never got old. Spear is love.

Hyperion

Arcane
Just like the 1st game then. Tonfas dropped off way faster on Demon+ than other weps. Also the terrible range was pissing me off, especially after switching from a spear.
At the very least you could remain somewhat competitive with Tonfa Gun in the first game and build around it. Now, damage is down across the board, and the tracking on skills like Devastation and Cherry Blossom (or whatever it's called) are terrible. On the other hand, enemies are extremely prone to fucking up your combos by just....backhopping and thus walking out of your attack range. Pulverizes forward momentum, constant attacking animation, and the fact you can apply 3 different elemental arcanas to it since Pulverize: Man, Pulverize: Heaven counts as a different skill means it works really well into the game's most powerful combos. Things mid-attack damage reduction for tanking, so you take less damage as long as you're in an attack animation (stacks multiplicatively with other sources), Chaos / Confusion application because enemy health outscales your damage in Demon+, forward momentum to counter the constant backhopping and sidestepping of enemies, and using lots of different skills to build Versatility stacks. Versatility is a new skill that starts appearing on Graces in Dream of the Demon and gives you a damage stack for every unique skill you use up to 9 stacks for 60% damage. It lasts 45 seconds and cannot be refreshed at max stacks, so you're always keeping an eye on it and using your weapon's whole repertoire.

Unfortunately, all of these things are done better by Claws which has the added benefit of Unbroken, which is similar to Versatility but can only build stacks if you use consecutive skills WITHOUT KI PULSING. The only downsides Claws have compared to Tonfa are being a Ki Hog, and it has awful stat scaling (Strength > Heart > Dex). Dex is useful because Ninjutsu is strong throughout the whole game and every difficulty as long as you stay away from Shurikens, but the other 2 are total garbage. However, once you get to Dream of the Wise you can find inheritable affixes called "Transform Bonus: <Stat>" which changes the primary stat to another one. Since Courage, Stamina, and Constitution are pretty much the best stats in the game, Tonfa's great scaling attributes no longer set it above other weapons since everyone can have 200 Courage, get full A scaling with their favorite weapon, and get Ultimate Courage on a scroll for 20% Ki Consumption Reduction, and increased Ki regen in dark realms, yokai pools, and anything else that would slow your Ki recovery.

Dual Swords are probably second behind Claws. Their main weakness is a poor array of skills, but the ones they do have that are good are incredible like God of Wind, Dual Dragons, Water Sword, The Shrike, that new skill that replaces Cherry Blossom, Mind's Eye II the strongest attack booster in the game, and the forward dodge cancel into a quick attack called Winter Winds or whatever. Plus, amazing mystic arts and 'Dyads' let you have both at the same time now. After that, it's Splitstaff just because Dragon Dance is the best attack in the game, and has a modifier that gives you 50% damage buff that stacks with every other buff in the game, lol.

Suicidal

Arcane

I was just thinking this earlier, that really this is more like Nioh 1.5. A lot of the mobs are the same and the levels all feel pretty familiar. The Yokai stuff really doesn't change the core combat enough to make it feel much different from Nioh. I'm enjoying it, but after 130 hours of Nioh, (which I know is small fry compared to some), I'm not feeling the same grab that I did with the first. I still think some of that is down to the extremely lacklustre storytelling, but the 'seen it all before' feeling doesn't help.

I view Nioh 2 the same way I view something like Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale 2. It's a game on the same engine as its predecessor, with a lot of reused visuals, enemies, mechanics, but at the same time there's still a lot of new things to experience, a huge new campaign, all of the enemies brought back from the previous games have new moves, so fighting them again is still experiencing something new. Your position is certainly understandable, but for me Nioh 1 was a case of if it's not broken don't fix it, so I'm very happy with the direction of the second game. I actually wouldn't mind a Nioh 3 that's basically the same game, but with more new shit and a new campaign. The only thing I would want changed is the graphics (Nioh games are pretty ugly by modern standards).

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
The gore splatter on armor is really cool and amusing addition to the game. Make sure u guys change the resolution to fit ur monitor its a night and day difference in graphics quality. The game shipped with default worse resolution options then what you see on consoles lol.

Spirit staff has the most fun weapon SKILL. heavy stance one where you spin both pieces of the staff. Weapon scaling doesnt seem as annoying as first nioh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom