Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kalypso bring back the Disciples franchise with Disciples: Liberation, a dark fantasy strategy RPG

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Bethrezen is going to wipe the floor with the heretics working in Kalypso's corporate structure and their faecal touch.

hello friend

Arcane
Sinatar Excommunicator Wassersäufer did you even play both? Putting aside the original's superior artstyle, the second game's AI has Down's syndrome. In the first game, the AI will use every spell at it's disposal to snipe your heroes and ruin your day. In the second game, you're essentially playing a sandbox playground experience. You don't need to take any precautions. You're a grown man slapfighting against retard children with progeria, the game is not even fun after the novelty wears off.

Sinatar Excommunicator Wassersäufer did you even play both? Putting aside the original's superior artstyle, the second game's AI has Down's syndrome. In the first game, the AI will use every spell at it's disposal to snipe your heroes and ruin your day. In the second game, you're essentially playing a sandbox playground experience. You don't need to take any precautions. You're a grown man slapfighting against retard children with progeria, the game is not even fun after the novelty wears off.

Mind you, its been ages since I played Sacred Lands, so I cant say much about its AI, but I played D2 a few weeks ago and while the AI isnt stellar, it does use both damage spells and debuffs against your party. I have to replay D1 at some point to see the difference.
As for the art style: Everyone has a different taste, but I disagree strongly. Most of the portraits in D1 (with the exception of the mountain clans if my memory servers me right) had a distinctive fan-art drawing touch to them. Undead in particular looked weird. And ingame models in D1 are just ugly as sin, whereas the models of D2 (apart from the wonky animations) still hold up nicely.
Edit: That said, I guess there is really no point in comparing portrait drawings in D1 with half-body CG models in D2.

Last edited:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I only played Disciples II and I remember liking the weird art direction.
IIRC It's also one of these games so repetitive they make you feel like you're wasting your life, even if you don't have one.

Last edited:

Outmind

Augur
God, I hope they go with Disciples 2's brilliant gritty, hand-drawn aesthetic instead of 3's uninspired 3D models. I loved 2 back in the day as it was the closest anyone ever got to HOMM while remaining unique.

I LOVED that art style. Everything was so depressing, even the humans.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing these garbage screenshots makes me wonder why there are so few attempts at indie HoMM/AoW/Disciples-likes. All games with cult status and massive followings, you'd think some people would KS something like that in glorious 2d art. Eador is the only one I can think of, really. I know there are a couple of others but they are also all in this butt-ugly modern 3d that reminds me more of Civilization 5 than anything else. Well, and there is crap like in OP. Why is it so hard to make a game that has a little of the charme of old HoMM or AoW

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh couldn't find the other Disciples 2 intros (if any)

Disciples III STEAM editions $2.99 - $3.99
Go figure no gog and again 3-4 versions
Resurrection, Reincarnation, Renaissance, GOLD... yeesh.
r723IzZ.jpg

5TmREse.jpg

I'm annoyed its not on GoG tbh for completion sake. :argh:

Gold & Reincarnation both have Renaissance & the Resurrection expansion. Reincarnation says "updated."

Reincarnation -
Published by
Akella
Developed by
Hex Studio
Released
Apr 18, 2012
Platform
Windows

Gold
Published by
Kalypso Media Digital Ltd.
Released
Apr 13, 2012
Platform
Windows

Disciples IV: Liberation; Frima Studio; Kalypso Media

So, Kalypso just had to put out the Gold version? Eh... will have to check the differences i guess.

Eh... I coundn't find any better of a disciples 3 comparison vid just these 10 year old jank

eh... sale. I bought the Gold. Too lazy to compare to Reincarnation.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
show us world screen and portraits. Thats where game was beautiful. Never was a fan of battlefield...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I enjoyed the second one, but not sure the mechanics were all that great tbh. Don't remember much about the first at all.
Number 3 followed the time-honored tradition of 3rd titles in a series being fucking shit.

The stupid trailer for the fourth one does not inspire any confidence... Quite the opposite. Let the dead rest, Kalypso.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
The combat models in Disciples 1 looked like absolute ass, but the overall art direction by Patrick Lambert was great and continued into the second installment which improved on almost all VISUAL levels of 1 (except ditching hand-drawn unit portraits for photoshopped 3D - didn't quite like that)
This looks like generic dark RPG #4549
Still, hope they somehow bring back the gothic feel of the original

The Red Knight

Erudite
I am the only one who can't watch this?
I need to upload an ID to youtube to confirm my age. WTF?
That's the next step in the US corporations vs stupid EU laws war (with the former trying to make the latter as annoying for the Europeans as possible), after the blanket-banning of the EU countries by various websites because of GDPR. Locking of age-restricted videos behind doxxing yourself started in January this year. The old embed bypass got patched out too, so the current options seem to be limited to either downloading 3rd-party programs or mobile applications for youtube-viewing, or downloading the restricted videos with either a download browser plugin or another 3rd-party program (in this case, though, you can watch the trailer on steam).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom