Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Gyor

Savant
Is it just me or is it insane that WotC had to be forced to make money, aka allow the Dragonlance novels to be published?

If woke none sense keeps up WotC is in real trouble long term. We saw that with comics, we saw that increasing on TV and Movies, and we will keep seeing it until folks in charge realize the woke cult is ruled by idiots and it's corrupt as hell.

Gyor

Savant
Panel From Hell 2 is coming on February 17th and it has Jeremy Crawford from WotC attending so perhaps there is a D&D announcement coming at the Panel From Hell 2 as well, not just BG3 news.

lightbane

Arcane
We saw that with comics, we saw that increasing on TV and Movies, and we will keep seeing it until folks in charge realize the woke cult is ruled by idiots and it's corrupt as hell.
Unfortunately the woke cultists are usually quick enough to get in positions of power, so they will not stop until DnD is dead and then... Bought by the Chinese, I suppose?

Codex Year of the Donut
this, my 5etards, is what we call a "critical hit table"
SPCmu.png

Codex Year of the Donut
this, my 5etards, is what we call a "critical hit table"

If you find people to play this , take a picture and show us the evidence with everyone carrying a "rpgcodex is for fags" handwritten note.No, your imaginary friends dont count, real people only.
If you don't have to consult at least five separate tables each time you attack then it's not an rpg.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Complexity is good but crit complexity is boring. Good complexity is shit tons of feats or classes, well ideally not classes but it is DnD so it is what it is, etc.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Rolemaster weapon tables (which is what that is, criticals had their own separate tables) were incredibly fun during tabletop games. The problem with RM wasn't really table complexity, in my games players just had a photocopy of their favorite weapons and that was it. Certainly the system had its weaknesses, mostly lack of flexibility, but nothing really crippling.

I'd say the main problem was the lack of good content. Middle Earth supplements were ok but adventures were few and poor, and it's not for everyone due to the setting constrains. Shadow World sucked. Meanwhile the competition of the day had amazing settings and adventures: early 90s TSR stuff, WFRP incredible adventures, and the strong settings provided by Elric, Call of Cthulhu and even Runequest. In the meantime you had RM that sold itself as a setting-free system, which is not a bad idea in theory but it was not the best strategy.

Last edited:

Gyor

Savant
Well new book to be announced by wotc tomorrow.

Likely ravenloft related if not a sourcebook for it as the the tagline "The mist beckons" is being thrown out there.

Honestly if you need source material just grab the 2e books and pick apropriatly themed monsters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1363896392306065413?s=19

Ougi Board saying The Mist Beckons Tweet.

I was RIGHT. Many folks said it wouldn't be Ravenloft because we already had Curse of Strahd, but CoS isn't a Campaign Setting Book like EgTW, GMGtR, MOoT, and E: RftLW (just like the SCAG isn't a Campaign Setting World Book for FR).

It just makes sense they are doing this, they want to focus alot more on Campaign Setting books because they sell well and they have DM and Player content in one book. So to double down on Campaign Setting books they have to really clear the decks first and that means addressing the weird limbo Ravenloft and the Forgotten Realms were in as the only DMGUILD legal settings, published settings with no 5e Campaign Setting World Books as support for published Products. This also gives them a chance to address woke whining about how certain groups are represented in settings they have committed serious resources too (they can't afford to discard FR and Ravenloft like they tried to with Dragonlance, 5e is too invested in these settings and publish material is already out there).

So publishing a Ravenloft setting and FR setting books clears the decks so they can do Spelljammer, Darksun, Planescape, Mystara, Dragonlance if Hasbro makes them, ect...

The two Undead/Spirits subclasses from the UA were Ravenloftian obviously. Same with the Dhampyr, Hexborn, and Reborn.

And I think the two Dragon themed subclasses from UA are for the Forgotten Realms. People say Dragonlance without looking at the subclasses fluff and asking if it fits Dragonlance or FR better (it fits FR better). Dragonlance has Dragon in the name, but FR has 10 times the Dragon lore, Dragon diversity, Dragon offshoots, Dragon Gods (it has a Pantheon of them), named Dragons and demi Dragons, Dracoliches, Dragon ruled Empires, Gem Dragons, Lung Dragons, Turtle Dragons, ect.... Hell the MtG symbol for the Forgotten Realms is a Dragon's head in a D20.

Dragons are as iconic for FR as Dragonlance, so yeah we are getting a FRCG type book this year, I'm doubling down on my prediction! Because I was right about Ravenloft!

Bara

Arcane
so they can do Spelljammer, Darksun, Planescape, Mystara, Dragonlance if Hasbro makes them, ect...

I like your optamisim but I can pretty much gaurentee you they will never touch Mystara. Theres so much representation of real world ethencities/culutures that they'd never touch it. Too much risk of offending someone.

Which works for me as I love Mystara so I'll never have to see wotc port in nonsense into it for any edition.

Gyor

Savant
"Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft Explore the horrors of Ravenloft in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Terror stalks the nightmare realms of Ravenloft. No one knows this better than monster scholar Rudolph Van Richten. To arm a new generation against the creatures of the night, Van Richten has compiled his correspondence and case files into this tome of eerie tales and chilling truths.

• Travel (perhaps even by choice) to Ravenloft's expanded Domains of Dread—each domain with its own unique flavor of horror, thrilling story hooks, and grisly cast of characters

• Craft your own D&D horror settings, add tension with optional rules, and get advice for running a game that's ghastly in all the right ways

• Create characters with lineages tied to vampires, undead, and hags, horror-themed subclasses, the Investigator background, and "Dark Gifts" that may be a double-edged sword

• Unleash nightmarish monsters from an expanded bestiary, and browse a collection of mysterious trinkets

• Explore Ravenloft in the included Dungeons & Dragons adventure—play as a stand-alone adventure or drop it into your current game for a bit of sinister fun"

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What does this have to do with the Middle-Earth Roleplaying system?
"Gandalf, what is that creature that is following us?"

"Oh, dear Frodo, that's a Bulette. A land shark."

"A what?"

"A land shark. It's like a shark, but travels on land."

"And, Gandalf, what is that creature that's approaching us from the forest?"

"Which one?"

"The one that looks like a bald retarded bear."

"Oh, Frodo, that's an owlbear."

"What."

"An owlbear. Half owl, half bear."

Bara

Arcane
Who cares?
This is the ICE thread.

What does America's immigration cops have to do with a D&D 5e discussion thread?

Iron Crown Enterprises they did stuff for Middle-Earth or Rolemasters back in the day.

I still need to check out their stuff.

As to what that has to do with 5e nothing at all and that would be incline. At least to them.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Who cares?
This is the ICE thread.

What does America's immigration cops have to do with a D&D 5e discussion thread?

ICE = Iron Crown Enterprises. Man, I used to love Rolemaster back in the day. Space Master too. I'm staring at the box sets right now, along with the first seven Companion books, War Law, Arms Companion, Alchemy Companion, Creatures & Treasures, and that ridiculously awesome "Time Riders" book that told you how to have adventures in time travel. They're all sitting there on my shelf and have not seen use in a long time.

Despite the fact that I had a ton of fun with it, I just can't quite bring myself to whip those books out and have everyone play with it. D&D 5th edition is such a perfectly simple system for me. I don't want to have to give people a bajillion skill points on level-up just so that they can add ranks to a "skiing" subskill and all the other little hobby skills they have, because Rolemaster had a whole second sheet to your character sheet for listing out every skill that you had and all the ranks in it. I like the ease and convenience of 5E even if I don't really appreciate the way they're trying to bow to the gods of the age that demand obedience to Marxism. The system itself is well designed and I honestly prefer it to the old school crunch of Rolemaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom