Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A new kind of a Paper & Pencil game

Gahbreeil

Learned
From now on there is a new type of pencil and paper game that allows for a single player experience unlike any other. You are the master of the game as well as the player as you play out the campaign pre-prepared or written on your own passing skill checks and fighting other sentient beings or characters in order to perform a heroic quest or accomplish any other ending to an adventure. As the master of the game you read the story and reach the points during the booklets which allow you to use the brand new six sided dice system to perform skill checks and fight in various situations of combat in order to achieve different outcomes in the storyline.

Perhaps you would like to prepare a story for your friends, perhaps you would like to play out your own story, both are possible in this new pencil and paper game.

2/11/2021 Ⓒ 2021 by Lonely Island Studio, all information confidential

Example of combat

The player wearing leather armour attacks with a two-handed sword a plate clad knight with a battle hammer. The player rolls 20 out of 4-22 so he manages to overpower the dodge skill of the opponent. The knight's dodge skill averages at +6 while the general hit difficulty is 8. Characters get minus points for being weak and being unable to swing a weapon profficiently. And so, 20 against 14 results in the attack hitting.

The player rolls three six sided dice and achieves a 9 out of 2, 1 and 6. This attack lands on plate armour denting it and removing points from the armour instead of the knight. Plate armour has, let's say a 100 hit points in this demo. Now, it has 91. The knight gets a chance to react and rolls his to achieve 9. With an impressive dodge of +10 the player dodges. He attacks again and scores a 19, passing yet again. 13 points of damage and the armour stands at 78 points. The knight reacts again and scores 19 and hits. 7 points of damage are dealt based on the bastard weapon. Leather armour takes 7 points of damage out of its 25 points of durability and the same amount of damage is dealt to the player based on realism of the situation as the battle hammer pierces. There are different types of damage as well yet this is more or less where it is at.

The dice rolls were simulated by myself in real time using real six sided dice.

2/11/2021 Ⓒ 2021 by Lonely Island Studio, all information confidential

Skill checks change a lot as all of you know.

Leather armour protects only from attacks by a single six sided dice. Chainmail takes up some of the damage while plate takes it all up as you've read.

Opinions?

Lagi

Savant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook

Freeway Fighter

Alone Against the Dark: Defying the Triumph of the Ice

https://www.chaosium.com/content/Fr... of Cthulhu 7th Edition Quick-Start Rules.pdf

I have above. But after I die twice I had enough with planing my schedule of chores on cruise ship (you die somewhere, then next PC come to same place, and have same chance being murdered on the boat).

This attack lands on plate armour denting it and removing points from the armour instead of the knight. Plate armour has, let's say a 100 hit points in this demo. Now, it has 91.
like in Doom when you pick up green armor

from the emphasis on how the armor should work, I can tell its made by no-life nerd, who thinks its much "realism". Its not, and besides making you tired with math, it doesnt add anything to game.

Gahbreeil

Learned
like in Doom when you pick up green armor

from the emphasis on how the armor should work, I can tell its made by no-life nerd, who thinks its much "realism". Its not, and besides making you tired with math, it doesnt add anything to game.
You got me wrong. This is a demo WIP. I will decide how much durability all armour and weapons actually have to achieve a realistic game. The emphasis on the armour is because that's all there is to the combat. Otherwise it's just skill checks with dice rolling. What else?

Single handed weapons:
Small one handed weapon: 1d6 -1 to the minimum of 1
One handed weapon: 1d6
Bastard weapon: 2d6
Two handed weapons:
Bow: 2d6
Two handed weapon: 3d6

Armour:
Leather: 20 durability points / Does not act as a barrier
Chainmail: 45 durability points
Plate: 70 durability points

Armour:
Leather: 20 durability points / Acts as a barrier against small one handed weapons
Chainmail: 45 durability points / Acts as half of a barrier, absorbing half of the damage
Plate: 70 durability points / Acts as a full barrier, hinders dodging

See? I'm fiddling around with it.

With combat kind of done. Skill checks. A wide variety of skills to describe real life based on five groups of skills. Dodge, plate wearing, prowess in melee, prowess in single handed melee and so on. Skills are bought with experience that you gain through deeds and you can upgrade them untill quite high a level.

Balancing required.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you hit someone wearing plate armour with a sword you're going to do more damage to the sword than the armour.

Gahbreeil

Learned
3 points of durability damage to the two-handed sword by the plate. Same by the chainmail. Durability of two-handed weapons 70 and so on descending with bows having the durability of 10 as they are made out of wood. I guess doors would have durability as well and that's it for that. All weapons beside bows, staffs and wooden swords have some metal on or in them and that's it.

Lagi

Savant
You got me wrong. This is a demo WIP. I will decide how much durability all armour and weapons actually have to achieve a realistic game. The emphasis on the armour is because that's all there is to the combat. Otherwise it's just skill checks with dice rolling. What else?

:deathclaw:
[cringe overload]

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
From now on there is a new type of pencil and paper game that allows for a single player experience unlike any other.

Opinions?

1. Why did you decide to invent your own wheel mechanic, instead of making self-play modules for existing systems?
2. What makes your system better than others, so the potential players would want to learn it?
3. Do you know Prosper?

Gahbreeil

Learned
1. Why did you decide to invent your own wheel mechanic, instead of making self-play modules for existing systems?
2. What makes your system better than others, so the potential players would want to learn it?
3. Do you know Prosper?
1. I wanted to be free of any bureaucracy and make my own mechanic for the purpose of creating a new RPG system which might seem daunting yet is all the way more rewarding.
2. It is fully single-player and offers some realism. Besides that it's very easy to learn, it doesn't have all the qualities of D&D where they add new stuff not to flesh out the system but to create new rule books.
3. Loans? Loans are the downfall of mankind. I'd rather get funded by existing companies.
[cringe overload]
Bow your head, wait for the ricochet. Flanking is omitted. And that's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom