Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite voice acting or actor

Sykar

Arcane
Something I doubt is discussed very often here so I thought why not open a thread for it. Here are a few of mine:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver series: I really enjoyed the voice acting of the respective protagonists Kain and Raziel.

Gothic 1+2 (German): The English version is quite spotty with some good but also quite some bad. The German is imho quite more well rounded and overall very enjoyable.

Baldur`s Gate 1+2: I liked the voice acting of both antagonists. For companions Jan Jansen takes the top spot.

Vampire : Bloodlines: Overall pretty good with my personal favorites being Tourette, Debb, LaCroix and Jack.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Claudia Black as Morrigan in Dragon Age: Origins was flat out fucking awesome. Totally nailed that hot-but-crazy, power-hungry but innocent witchyness.

4PJhCDm.jpg

qUW5dzl.jpg

curds

Magister
Wizardry 8 has pretty great (albeit slightly ... flamboyant) voice acting.
VtMB I agree also has good VA.

Baldur`s Gate 1+2: I liked the voice acting of both antagonists.
Irenicus' VA is quite good. Sarevok's VA is about as generic as you can get for a villain. Almost every companion's VA is irritating one way or another.

I think Fallout 1 has some decent voice acting (particularly Aradesh and Cabot). Arcanum does too, at least for some characters (Virgil, for example).

But my favourite is:

EDIT: I quite like what little voice acting there is in Icewind Dale, too. Also Annah from PST.

Dyspaire

Cipher
David Ogden Stiers as the Narrator in Icewind Dale.

The first time I booted the game up, way back in the day when it was first released... the woodwinds, the title fading into the background and that melodious deep voice begins to weave a wondrous tale.

The candle flickers to life and I was absolutely transported. Easily a top-ten moment in my crpg career. Absolutely amazing narration from a world-class voice.

Of all the strengths Icewind Dale possesses, and they are many, David Ogden Stiers contribution is a rarely-discussed one.

krilcebre

Learned
Spellforce 3 (and the expansions) has an amazing voice acting. That's one of the things that had quite a bit of "wow" factor.

Everybody in Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

If limited to just rpgs I don't know, I don't pay much attention to VA in rpgs.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really like the voice acting in Sacrifice, lots of good voice actors (including Tony Jay, Tim Curry and Jennifer Hale). A spoiler free sample:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wizardry 8 Dark Savant's VA is really good, well, the whole Wiz 8 voice acting is great but there is a couple of particularly good voices and lines.

Like when the Dark Savant drops the fake astral dominae and shouts :"Give it to me! Give it to me!"
I also love T'rangs voices and lines.

But besides these great moments, i really enjoy early digitalized voices, like in Lords of Magic (even if it's not a very early one).
"The circle of life has no beginning or end." (All these years, i thought he said "nor end"...)

Timestamp for character creation from Sseth's review, I bet everyone who played the game did exactly like him "mixing" with the voice acting during character creation.
Thi, thi, thi, thi, thief...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom