Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
OK, another stupid question.

What is Camellia main casting stat and how am I supposed to figure it out?

It is WIS, right? However, I cannot find "Spirit Hunter" on the D20 site, and there is no indication of the casting stat on the spellbook page. And I know that sub classes can easily change the main class casting characteristic: what's with Eldritch Scion vs. Magus and Empyreal Sorcerer vs. Sorcerer. Is there any hard evidence that Camellia, indeed, casts of Wisdom?

Reinhardt

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/3086539

A special Valentine's Day update

1. Lann

But what if he meets a woman worth living for?

2. Wenduag

Wenduag will be interested in a strong Commander regardless of their gender.

3. Camellia

When it comes to personal life, Camellia prefers men.

4. Daeran

Daeran is open for any relationship.

5. Arueshalae

the Commander’s gender doesn’t matter to her.

6. Sosiel
will only start a romantic relationship with a man.

7. Queen Galfrey.
Both male and female Commanders may have a chance to win the royal heart.
Wow, just wow. What an interesting update. Almost like Owlcat tries to out-Bioware Bioware.
Wise man said
No sosiels in my party.

Thonius

Arcane

It is WIS, right? However, I cannot find "Spirit Hunter" on the D20 site, and there is no indication of the casting stat on the spellbook page. And I know that sub classes can easily change the main class casting characteristic: what's with Eldritch Scion vs. Magus and Empyreal Sorcerer vs. Sorcerer. Is there any hard evidence that Camellia, indeed, casts of Wisdom?
Pretty sure it's homebrew, a shaman with rappier. Still boggles my mind why they made her shaman at all and then made her noble-like.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Pretty sure it's homebrew, a shaman with rappier. Still boggles my mind why they made her shaman at all and then made her noble-like.

Nothing wrong with exploring how class archetypes can be presented in different aesthetics.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Good itemization is really what makes or breaks a RPG, but flies under the radar and treated as a secondary pursuit somehow.

Breaking a basic class function that worked fine throughout previous game and alpha is not what betas are for. Betas are not even for introducing new classes without their basic functions or tooltips working, which is the case with Skald, Arcanist, Cavs, etc., but this takes it to a whole new level.

The masons are laboring away on the cathedral, but the villagers need to be making them sandwiches not debating what color they want to paint the marble.

It gets better modders are saying that Owlcat rewrote the code for working feats from Kingmaker. So they actually try to fix things that weren't even broken
:lol:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

It's Wisdom. Spirit Hunter is Owlcat homebrew archetype (there are 3 in the game, all for companion. Cam, Ember , Arue). You know because when you level up at level 4 there will be Thumbs Up on Wisdom I guess? Yeah it should be comminicated clearer.

It gets better modders are saying that Owlcat rewrote the code for working feats from Kingmaker. So they actually try to fix things that weren't even broken

It's.. actually not necessarily a bad thing, at least in general, not specific in gamedev. Sometimes you want to add something and then you realize that the old structure isn't really all that welcoming to the new feature that you want to introduce. Sometimes you can "glue and ducktape" the program but there are times that you just say "fuck it, let's rewrite this shit" depending on the cost, time, and criticality of the new function. While I am not a programmer there are several old simple inhouse program where I work that no longer are capable of supporting the ease of life feature that we want and we simply make a new program with slightly better UI, exact same functionality but able to support more changes and QoL stuff.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There are several more home brew archetypes. Unfortunately many are not functional yet, and they didn’t even give us tooltips to see how they will work.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
So how is army battles btw?

Rather brainless now I guess. It's on HOMM 2 level but the main problem is overworld map enemies do not grow in strength with time so as you play and recruit, it will get easier and easier.

Right now my 300 Marksmen with Rapid Shot will one-shot two weaker enemy stack per turn due to Rapid Shot. If someone gets in Melee the 600 Champion also pretty much one-shot anything.

Desiderius

Patron
So how is army battles btw?

Rather brainless now I guess. It's on HOMM 2 level but the main problem is overworld map enemies do not grow in strength with time so as you play and recruit, it will get easier and easier.

Right now my 300 Marksmen with Rapid Shot will one-shot two weaker enemy stack per turn due to Rapid Shot. If someone gets in Melee the 600 Champion also pretty much one-shot anything.

This regressed too. They had a nice army quest system that effected your overall performance if you didn't complete them on time but took it out for some reason.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
This regressed too. They had a nice army quest system that effected your overall performance if you didn't complete them on time but took it out for some reason.

It was removed because if you clean house too quickly you literally get softlocked as you will fail their weekly quest. There are people who cleared the map rather early from the weaker demons leaving the stronger demon stack alive. Then they got hammered by no income and low morale because they can't fulfill the weekly quest thus can't beat the stronger demon which failure spiraled their game. Apperantly the noble and church didn't get the memo that the commander defeated 10 stacks of the dmon army last week.

What are these backgrounds I hear about, are they something like traits? Can someone give a list of what they are, since I can't find anything about them anywhere?

Thanks. So something like homebrewed traits, only quite a bit more powerful. I take it they have not implemented alternate racial traits?

Desiderius

Patron

It was removed because if you clean house too quickly you literally get softlocked as you will fail their weekly quest. There are people who cleared the map rather early from the weaker demons leaving the stronger demon stack alive. Then they got hammered by no income and low morale because they can't fulfill the weekly quest thus can't beat the stronger demon which failure spiraled their game. Apperantly the noble and church didn't get the memo that the commander defeated 10 stacks of the dmon army last week.

Easy, obvious fix for that and unless they were doing something ridiculous it was always manageable anyway especially after they added the wandering armies.

In some sense you have to decide whether you want the army layer to matter at all in which case getting your whole army ganked early will properly lose the game but that's only peripherally related to the quest issue.

Codex Year of the Donut
So apparently the crafting system is there only for potions and scrolls... lame.

I prefer it that way. Otherwise, what's the point of exploring and overcoming challenges to win better equipment? What's the value of "unique" item properties? Lastly what's the point of specialization? (I understand the last point can be seen as a negative, but I'm against every weapon feeling samey).

Ideally the devs could include an artifact equipment "upgrade" system with unique paths, similar to Deadfire. That game has crazy good itemization.
Adding the 3.x weapon crafting system wouldn't automatically make "exploring and overcoming challenges to win better equipment" pointless, since when crafting you can only pick weapon properties from a standard limited list, while loot given as reward can have unique properties. In Kingmaker, being able to craft a +3 Flaming Shock longsword wouldn't make Perfection useless, and being able to craft an Empower Metamagic Rod wouldn't make the Grandmaster's Rod useless.

Crafting is a fucking plague on CRPGs. It's literally just an excuse for developers to not even bother with itemization.
I almost never bother with crafting in any game I play because usually that's the most boring shit you can do with your time. But if you give the option to craft scrolls and potions, at least add also wands to the list.

It doesn't necessarily make it pointless, but it practically does. Because either crafting system is not good thus pointless waste of resources that could have been spent on designing handmade and handplaced items or it is too good that it makes them irrelevant. Overall crafting systems are a trap choice, and only work in absence of actually good itemization via drops or by spending disproportionate amount of resources on trying to make it work. In a world where a game dev can spend years on the game with no real constraints on resources sure (as is the case with PNP that gets iterated over the years) but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Best case scenario is like that of Deadfire, where you find drops or purchase handmade items and "craft" them by choosing from pre-allowed bonuses. Material investment (currency) of the crafting is just delegated to shop costs or availability.

Good itemization is really what makes or breaks a RPG, but flies under the radar and treated as a secondary pursuit somehow.
only good form of crafting I've encountered in RPGs is when it's a system for upgrading gear and creating consumables.

Yosharian

Arcane
No crafting is not a problem if the developer knows how to itemize their game properly.

Kingmaker had some severe itemization problems so it's not clear that Owlcat really knows what they're doing in this regard.

Desiderius

Patron
So unlike P:K this is an Exploration game. Keep your skillz up and eyes out, get rewarded:

Big Ghost stats.jpg

After you clear the Chapel and get back to camp and your army opens the way to Drezen (I think) if you go do some more exploring and have some nice fat Perception a location will pop to the NE. Inside you will find this dude with his buddies.

Initial Charge.jpg

Was really hoping to land that since you can see him preparing a nasty spell. Not sure why his Flatfooted AC is 22 instead of 26 though. That Blasphemy DC was low too. Stealth Core nerfing? I'm going to leave it on Core for now just to build PnPers confidence up that they can handle the game. Next run Hard or Hard+.

BigGhostDestruction.jpg

This guy really knows how to concentrate. Well Seelah's Mount that she has yet to ride is no slouch either. Touche! If Protective Luck were up he'd get two rolls there I think, but Ember was busy with Evil Eye. Those Leopards are her's as well: Maximized Summon IV with Augmented Summoning and Mythic Summoning.

BigGhostProtectiveLuck.jpg

And here's the Protective Luck doing more work. Camellia can get this one too, and she can even Chant to keep it going.

BigGhost EXP.jpg

So that's almost 4k per, getting us within 1k of lvl 9, which should make the Drezen Raid go a good bit smoother.

LustrousBlade.jpg

Did someone say loot? The Greatsword fans have finally been rewarded. This will be spectacular if you're debuffing saves properly. Blind is a great condition for offense and defense.

SkillzPayMC8.jpg

What can I say? Been around the block a time or two. Love, love, love skillz getting paid. On Hard you'll need that Fortune Hex I'm too lazy to use. This is what it's for.

HKConsequnces.jpg

If you save and protect the HKs you get a squad to run with you during the raid and you start by the Temple. There are three different places you can start, in an obvious tribute to the Clevester. We'll start there next.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom