Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Volkswagen vs. Cadillac.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Opinion? Subnautica is due for a new Stable release, and maybe then things will improve somewhat on the modding-side, but until then there's no reason whatsoever to even think about modding the game.

Are you talking about OG or Below Zero? I'm playing a heavily modded OG now and it all works. The mods are amazing, they improve the experience a thousandfold.
On the other hand I couldn't get the mod manager to run for Below Zero no matter what. Black screens, freezes, crashes, you name it. I was talking about it on their Discord but everyone assured me it works fine. Well, BZ is still early access so I'm not that mad.

No, apparently you're right and I'm wrong. I could have sworn that the Cyclops tapped out at a depth of 1500M, but apparently it shares the limit of 1700M with the Prawn Suit, so yes you can finish the game without the Prawn Suit.

The reason you kindda need the Prawn are the leviathans. When I tried to take my Cyclops all the way down to the active lava region the leviathans tore me apart. The only way I could avoid them was the Prawn mech. But maybe if you cheese the game somehow you can avoid using Prawn, IDK.

Opinion? Subnautica is due for a new Stable release, and maybe then things will improve somewhat on the modding-side, but until then there's no reason whatsoever to even think about modding the game.

Are you talking about OG or Below Zero? I'm playing a heavily modded OG now and it all works. The mods are amazing, they improve the experience a thousandfold.
On the other hand I couldn't get the mod manager to run for Below Zero no matter what. Black screens, freezes, crashes, you name it. I was talking about it on their Discord but everyone assured me it works fine. Well, BZ is still early access so I'm not that mad.

No, apparently you're right and I'm wrong. I could have sworn that the Cyclops tapped out at a depth of 1500M, but apparently it shares the limit of 1700M with the Prawn Suit, so yes you can finish the game without the Prawn Suit.

The reason you kindda need the Prawn are the leviathans. When I tried to take my Cyclops all the way down to the active lava region the leviathans tore me apart. The only way I could avoid them was the Prawn mech. But maybe if you cheese the game somehow you can avoid using Prawn, IDK.

You can definitely cheese to avoid leviathan attacks in the Cyclops, but it takes forever and is just a really boring and clearly unintended way to play the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

OG Subnautica. I wouldn't even dream of trying to mod a game that's still unfinished.

Out of interest, what mods are you running?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Maybe they changed it, but when I played activating silent running made the leviathans completely ignore me.

I also kinda liked the challenge of navigating the cyclops through all those tight spaces, having to rely on multiple camera angles and such. I found the prawn to be unbearably slow, but I also never built the grappling hook for it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Out of interest, what mods are you running?

P. much all the various upgrade mods for vehicles - more module slots, new modules etc. I put arms on my Seamoth and it's grate. No more clambering in and out for every small rock and you can drill with a Seamoth. Also a map mod (amazing), EasyCraft, White Lights and a few weapon mods.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Does the sequel have a cuddlefish? And if so, does it at least create a marker where you left him?
It's been ages since I played the first game, and the first thing I remember was constantly accidently telling it to wait somewhere!
Until I lost him somewhere in the dark.
So I never got the sad goodbye sequence in the end. :(

Poor guy.
Sad.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does the sequel have a cuddlefish? And if so, does it at least create a marker where you left him?
It's been ages since I played the first game, and the first thing I remember was constantly accidently telling it to wait somewhere!
Until I lost him somewhere in the dark.
So I never got the sad goodbye sequence in the end. :(

Poor guy.
Sad.

I feel they must've changed it after you play last because in my recent game he just teleported wherever I went. He also seemed to be invulnerable coz he went with me to the active lava zone where a Sea Dragon seemingly ate him but later on he just joined me again.

Anyway, no Cuddlefish in the current build of BZ.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I played it when it was still early access yet complete-ish, dunno if all features were already in.

From then I vaguely remember him constantly swimming circles around me, which led to a small problem: while trying to interact with something he would get between me and that object, leading to me accidently telling him to wait there. Maybe he would of have teleported back to your base once he got bored, but when you have reached the final stretch, riding your yuge sub, you don't really notice him missing, nor waste enough time for him to decide to come back.

Actually I kinda sorta forgot about him in the end, things went a little intense.
With my sub getting stuck on an underground forrest's twig, physics bugging out, wildly shaking me around and apparently being so "loud" that 2 glowing reapers decided to nibble on me.

Watching hours worth of building and equipping getting ripped apart while you head for the escape prawn is not fun. Not one bit.

RIP my beautiful magic melon farm. :salute:
Sad.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watching hours worth of building and equipping getting ripped apart while you head for the escape prawn is not fun. Not one bit.

Oh yeah, I was brutally buttfucked by the game in my first run, where I didn't realize the game doesn't autosave at all. And when I lost my Cyclops to three Crabsquids I thought "hell no", quit the game and loaded the only save, thinking it's an autosave. Alas, it was just the first and only manual save I made about 8 hours before. So 8 hours down the drain.

So naturally I threw my monitor through my window, uninstalled the game and only returned to it months after that. :lol:

Also FUCK the devs for taking away all the means to effectively defend myself but cramming the world with aggressive nasties anyway. Only a San Francisco dangerhair muddlebrains can do something like that. What the fuck are you supposed to do against three Crabsquids hammering on your sub?

:x

Bliblablubb

Arcane
At least I was still paranoid enough to make a hard save before starting my final journey. Yet, having concentrated on only one base in the shallow waters, I still lost a lot of time getting back down there.

jackofshadows

Magister
What the fuck are you supposed to do against three Crabsquids hammering on your sub?
Stasis, repair the sub and move away in silent mode. Or punch the fucker with PRAWN if it's close to some surface.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What the fuck are you supposed to do against three Crabsquids hammering on your sub?
Stasis, repair the sub and move away in silent mode. Or punch the fucker with PRAWN if it's close to some surface.
Nah man, no way. Against one of them fuckers, maybe. Three at once? No chance. Plus it was around the Grand Reef Degasi base where the 3 Crabsquids are patrolling. It's kindda tight down there and the manoeuvrability of Cyclops is abysmal. No chance, not even close.

You wanna get rid of the guns because you live in San Francisco? Fine. But get rid of the monsters too and find some other sources of tension and threat. Goddamn Kwan progs man.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Actually I think not being able to defend yourself was an important part of the atmosphere.
If every enemy could be taken out, they get downgraded to being a minor nuisance.

A refreshing approach to all the consoletarded games, where you can permanently remove any obstacle if you are willing to cheese it for 30 mins. :obviously:

But in this game, if Sammy the safety reaper blocks your path, he blocks your path. Deal with it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Actually I think not being able to defend yourself was an important part of the atmosphere.
If every enemy could be taken out, they get downgraded to being a minor nuisance.

A refreshing approach to all the consoletarded games, where you can permanently remove any obstacle if you are willing to cheese it for 30 mins. :obviously:
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't wanna turn Subnautica into underwater Doom. I actually prefer it as a survival/exploration game.

But it's like throwing you into a Doom game, taking away your guns but keeping all the demons and saying: "You can still deal with them by avoiding them, distracting them and running away. Not being able to shoot them is a part of the atmosphere. No go!" Sorry, that would be the most terrible Doom session ever :lol:

Unknown Worlds somehow imagined they could mesh a peaceful exploration game with swarms of aggressive monsters. Subnautica is the result.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
To each his own I guess.

First time I met a reaper was near the Aurora. I was happily collecting sea shells when a yuge shadow went over my head.
Normally you would think: "Mmmm, which murdertool shall I whip out this time?"
But here? I am a fragile meatbag in wetsuit wielding a knife. "Nope, run away you fool!"

And run I did. Into the minisub towards the (hopefully) safe surface.
I honestly do not remember the last time in a game I ran away like a little bitch. From an enemy that hadn't even considered me worth the effort of approaching. :hahano:

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
I like how Factorio went with it.
On the one hand local fauna is pretty docile by default unless you come close to them. And you can go all hippy exploring the world around you until you begin increasing local GDP.
On the other hand, once you start an industry you get a Deathworld-style tower defense around your production and can shoot the shit out of everything. But you can't easily take your dakka everywhere with you until you tech enough because defenses demand space and logistic systems to really work.
So you have both an exploration and a combat centric game depending on your behavior.

They could've at least introduced some turrets that don't work in some places because alien self-defense systems nuke them or whatever.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To each his own I guess.

First time I met a reaper was near the Aurora. I was happily collecting sea shells when a yuge shadow went over my head.
Normally you would think: "Mmmm, which murdertool shall I whip out this time?"
But here? I am a fragile meatbag in wetsuit wielding a knife.

Yeah, same here. First time I wandered near the Aurora was in my Seamoth. I heard some faint roaring and then suddenly BLAM! - a giant thing was chewing ony my little vessel. I almost got a heart attack.

My point is in survival games running away is a normal thing, it's part of the fun if you're just starting and you don't have anything. A that's great. But what usually follows is you build up, get better stuff and then you can go head-to-head with the nasties. In Subnautica you're stuck in the initial helpless stage forever. And that just feels wrong.

But I guess they sold millions of copies and everyone loves the game so nobody seems to care about that anyway. Good for them.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The developers are anti-gun hippies. They made it clear they don't want weapons in the game - that's why you get only a shitty knife and a shrink ray.

Well yes you get torpedoes later but they are basically useless peashooters.

jackofshadows

Magister
Idk, reapers are a real threat, no question about that (technically you can kill it with PRAWN but it takes a lot of time and you can be ripped by texture glitching quite easily). But all other fauna could be easily ignored tbh. So when you explored the game enough it became clear that the only reaper that could be pita is the one near anti-air tower. Judging by initial feedback the case is continues to be the same in BZ.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I just remembered I actually tried a very early version of BZ. There was only little content and a few dialogs yet, some hints of what they planned.

But memories of the first game were still fresh, so I got a "Bioshock 2" deja vu:
The first Bioshock was intense and had a unique atmosphere and underwater visuals. But when I played the second part, that magic was mostly gone and it felt more like "here are some locations that didn't make it into the first game."

There are only so much new unique underwater biodomes they could do, so exploration would not be the main hook for BZ to pull me in again.
Unless the story would really be able to catch me, I would rather pass and cherish my memories from the first game.
IIRC the little dialog was between two stronk independent black wymyn talking about the male bad guy. Didn't exactly fill me with confidence then. :hahano:

So, how's the story?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, how's the story?

Eh, a bit more personal, you're looking for your sister. And then you discover the Precursors, obviously. And it goes from there.

Nothing to write home about but it's not BZ's biggest problem at all (except everybody talking in this pseudo witty, quippy way so popular among millennials and nuDisney movies, as if nothing can be allowed to be fully serious anymore). The biggest problem is the world is smaller, shallower and a chunk of it comprises of boring, grindy, confusing and incredibly annoying overland part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom