Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite voice acting or actor

Reality

Learned
For me

Wiz 8 and Jagged Alliance 2 - Party Banter is great - some of them ARE sterotypes played by humor, but this is done in a fun way instead of the Silent Storm way.

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim - George Ledoux as The Royal Advisor - The unintentional Sean Connery impersonation is a joy - The other hero voices are memorable as well, as is the whole game.

Colony Wars - Burt Caesar as the narrator/war veteran - Yeah it's just the mission intro and ending slide narration, but he does an amazing job, kind of feels like a James Earl Jones impersonator

Colony Wars:Vengeance - as Mertens - More interesting because of the writing, but pretty good in its own right, especially the intro.

vazha

Arcane
Since we are including things like Legacy of Kain, here's a few I could heartily recommend, apart of the obvious picks like David Warner being a criminally underrated actor smashing it in BG 2. Bear in mind I haven't played two out of these 3 games, but probably have spent a good 24 hour or so on each just listening to voice acting.

1. Andy Serkis as King Bohan in Heavenly Sword, also featuring the inimitable Steven Berkoff as General Flying Fox. All voice acting is excellent in Heavenly Sword.

2. Michael Wincott as Death in Dishonored 2. Akin to Heavenly Sword, this game is also chock full of stellar voice acting.

3. Elder Scroll's Online was and is atrocious in every aspect except voice acting department, which is world class. As in, absolutely stellar. Mind-blowing. Where do I start? John Cleese (!), Sir Michael Gambon (!!), Alfred Molina (!!!), Bill Nighy (!!!!), Malcolm McDowell (!!!!!), and *wait for it* Cate Beckinsale with that silky, smooth voice of hers. The cast is just unbelievable.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Amelia Tyler as Nyrissa in PFKM

Cristina Vee as Velvet in Tales of Beseria

Doug Cockle as in Witcher games

Alix Wilton Regan in DAI as female Inquisitor

And Laura Bailey as Kainè in Nier or Christine in FNV

:love:

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In Zork Grand Inquisitor Michael McKean plays a role of guide for the player. Personally I love this game and I consider it one my favorite adventure games, his voice acting was a big part of it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Somehow no one has mentioned Jim Cummings. Gizmo and the Master in Fallout, Arundel and Hrothgar in Icewind Dale, Conrad Marburg in Alpha Protocol, and a boatload of BG characters including eveyone's favourite Minsc.

Fargus

Arcane
In general i love the voice acting in Bloodlines, Baldurs Gate games and Arcanum the most.

Favorite wymmin voice in games:love:

Favorite male voice is probably this chad

And the most entertaining voice acting for me was Sarrano's in Bulletstorm

Last edited:

demoman

Educated
cool thread, gonna post after work but i feel like i had to say something...

dunno about the best, but for me the absolute worst in recent memory has got to be Johny Silverhand. I know some of you are probably gonna pile up but seriously i cannot stand him

i challenge you, go watch a cutscene or voice clip on youtube and put it on 1.25 or 1.5 speed and see how much better it is

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think everyone got some really good voices. I personally really enjoy The Nameless One's voice, but all of Planescape has remarkably good voice acting.

I also really love Caleb's voice actor, can't get enough of that ghoulish sarcastic performance.

Oh and to make a stand for voice acting here. Voice acting is not required for a video game to be great, of course, but if it's there and it's really good it can add so much just for the tone and setting alone, let alone just the appreciation of great acting. You can say 'oh immersionfags', but I'd say good voice acting is almost just as important as a really satisfying sound effect and a killer 'track.

They just add up in making a game feel good. I wouldn't want Planescape without the dolce tones of 'Updated my journal'.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

the original announcer voice actor for Q3A has to be the manliest voice ever to exist on planet Earth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom