Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Ladonna

Arcane
Been doing quests, have gotten to level 5 and got the animal trophy skill along with extra hitpoints.

Really like the design decision to have you weak as hell in the beginning. Guard jips you out of a reward when doing a quest for him. If you threaten him he oneshots your butt into the ground. The smart move is to accept being ripped off or persuade him if you have the right skills (I didn't.) In most games threatening or killing people is punished based on some morality system. In this game it's punished by getting beaten to death.

It forces you to act like an actual human being would in real life, don't start fights with everyone you meet and try and find an alternate solution to a problem. It's actually really refreshing to not be some unstoppable god-like chosen one. I'm loving this.

Been the same since Gothic 1, except most of the time the humans didn't kill you after you get knocked down, just rob you and make a smart arse comment.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
At level 6 right now. Been focusing all my attribute points in getting my dexterity and intelligence up so I can get animal tropies level 2 for more stuff to get from creatures. Got the alchemy perk as well. Of course by focusing everything into upgrading my crafting stuff I am weak as hell right now.

Been having a ton of fun doing the Goliet quests. Had to do one where I harvested some healing roots and ran into enemies so strong I couldn't even damage them. I'm guessing enemies have damage reduction that can only be bypassed by having a strong damage weapon. Had to run like the wind but got it done.

Speaking of Goliet, why are all the women barefoot? The berserker laws never mentioned anything about women being banned from wearing shoes.

Reader

Scholar
I couldn't even damage them. I'm guessing enemies have damage reduction that can only be bypassed by having a strong damage weapon
While having a better weapon is a natural idea (you're playing rpg after all) there are couple of things to consider. First is combo. Your first or even second strike may not harm the tough enemy but the third and following might do. Also if i'm not mistaking comboing with your companion is even more effective way to break through damage reduction. Ranged weapons work differently though.
Second thing is old good buffs. Magic, chems, food. Use it. Especially the food.
I harvested some healing roots and ran into enemies so strong I couldn't even damage them
It's fine.
Overall you are still at the beginning. Play more, do quests which you can do. Explore where you can. You'll probably die a lot but it is part of the fun. Just don't spoil anything to yourself.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
While having a better weapon is a natural idea (you're playing rpg after all) there are couple of things to consider. First is combo. Your first or even second strike may not harm the tough enemy but the third and following might do. Also if i'm not mistaking comboing with your companion is even more effective way to break through damage reduction. Ranged weapons work differently though.
Second thing is old good buffs. Magic, chems, food. Use it. Especially the food.

Before starting the game I watching a video on melee combat so I get the idea about it all about building up the combo to the Q special move. I didn't have a chance to do that with this enemy though, it didn't get stun locked and just one shot me. This enemy was some kind of gargoyle looking demon thing (I think its name was Slug Creature?)

I always play melee so ranged isn't even something I'm considering.

I haven't gone to Duras yet because I heard having a companion limits your dialogue options and choices during quests. I'll probably pick one up after I've done all the side quests and gotten started on the main storyline by joining a faction.

T. Reich

Arcane
Forget about the special move gauge - it's total bullshit and doesn't work as advertised (like a lot of things in ELEX).
I mean, you can use it, but the damage increase is marginal and 100% not worth the effort.
As you've been told - focus on chaining longer combos (3rd and 4th hits REALLY do a lot more damage).

Due to how damage mitigation system works in ELEX (attack damage gets flat reduction by the amount of enemy armor), if your weapon damage is not high enough vs tougher enemy, it will literally do near-zero damage.
It works the other way around as well, so tougher enemies will one-shot you until you get good enough armor. The slug creature you mentioned is an endgame enemy actually (I assume you found it on an island, by the well). So are reavers and troll - you don't stand a chance until the second half of the game, and that ain't soon.
The only source of good armor in the game is joining one of the factions.
That is why a lot of guides correctly recommend to join one ASAP, because it does really help - you get immediate access to better weapons and armor that are adequate at dealing with current threats.
At least, you can find good weapons without joining a faction, but it's a high risk strategy.
Having compaion also helps a ton in early game, for the same reasons.

I haven't gone to Duras yet because I heard having a companion limits your dialogue options and choices during quests.
Feels like bullshit. My first playthrough was very thorough, and I went with a companion ASAP and used them at all times. And I've never experienced the lack of quest options because of that (I checked the guides to see if I missed anything critical - I didn't).

Actually, joining afaction early doesn't really rob you of many quests either.
Sure, you will miss out on some "join the faction" quests and some non-faction early quests (those are mostly fetch quest bullshit anyway), but in terms of exp and rewards those absolutely don't matter even in the short run.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Note that elemental/DOT part of a weapon's damage ignores enemy DR, so using elemental/poison weapons can help when fighting tough foes early.
Of course, such weapons are rare and/or faction locked and tend to have not-so-low stat requirements (minimum Tier I weapons with corresponding stat requirements, I think).

Vatnik Wumao
Going to give playing through this game another go. Someone mentioned it's possible to do quests without getting blocked from joining a faction. So I'm going to do all the side quests I can and then join a faction and do the main quest. I'll make a save before joining a faction so I can see what it is like playing as each one.

Saw this video, and now I'm going to try turning Auto-Focus off and seeing what difference that makes.

Just be careful of being conscripted.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Afair I didn't join any faction yet, and was able to eliminate trolls, reavers, sludge beast etc...
Just move right way, and get better weapon.

Reader

Scholar
Corruption all over the place. Yeah, right, clerics rock.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Afair I didn't join any faction yet, and was able to eliminate trolls, reavers, sludge beast etc...

Doable, but you need to find one of the strong weapons scattered here and there. Either you need to get lucky... or know where to go.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What I have found natuarally was enough. It's just combos became shorter and shorter you know.
You can do sludgebeasts with even starter weapon, just would take a bit too long.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Starter weapons? In Elex? For real?
Its not Dark Souls you know. Enemies have sick DR.
If you want the game to be torture, MAYBE it's possible. But that's a terribly bad idea.

T. Reich

Arcane

Doable, but you need to find one of the strong weapons scattered here and there. Either you need to get lucky... or know where to go.

And then prepare to die in 1 hit anyway, because the only way to get the good armor is to join a faction.

Oh, and actually the whole "just find a better weapon nigga" thing doesn't work, because while you 100% CAN get a lot of better weapons right at the start (no bullshit here), there's a "small" matter of having the required stats to wield them.

Generally speaking, to easily deal with starting enemies and have a chance against harder mid-game enemies (like rotboars and humanoid enemies) you want a weapon that can deal 40+ damage, ideally with some kind of enhancement (fire, lightning or poison work best). This is usually a "grade I" weapon, with combined stat requirements of approx 80. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, and actually the whole "just find a better weapon nigga" thing doesn't work, because while you 100% CAN get a lot of better weapons right at the start (no bullshit here), there's a "small" matter of having the required stats to wield them.

Right! But you could up stats fast - I abandoed the game on a point, whre I wanted to make some jewelery, the ring that I think gives the stat, dex? and for which you need wings of sludg beast - all of these was needed to equip saw sword or sable, and I was perfectly fine with lesser weapon, and able to eliminate everything with it.
Yes, first few hours you need to be elusive annd evasive, but then you can equip better and better weapon naturally.

just get a ranged weapon and abuse the (lack of) AI

Yeah and lose the best part of the game - melee combat, sure.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:what:

unless they patched it to completely change melee combat, I have no idea what you're talking about
Melee's always been the most fun and challenging in PB games. Despite the jankiness. I liked the Gothic combo system better than ELEX, but it's ok.

Ranged feels like cheating, allowing you to avoid all that sweet PB danger.

Codex Year of the Donut

unless they patched it to completely change melee combat, I have no idea what you're talking about
Melee's always been the most fun and challenging in PB games. Despite the jankiness. I liked the Gothic combo system better than ELEX, but it's ok.

elex melee is 100x more jank than melee in any other pb game

Reader

Scholar
My ranged playthrough was more difficult than melee to me.
1. Many enemies have ranged attacks which they use if they can't reach you. Blood hound for example spits blood which splashes and does some aoe.
2. If the enemy doesn't have ranged attack and can't reach you it tries to get away from your targeting field. Killing these not really difficult but tedious.
3. Ranged weapon doesn't comboing meaning if you can't scratch the monster that's it.
4. Usual ranged weapons don't have crowd control.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

When you're a Cleric, melee is hardly risky. Use the "prevent death" power, use decoy and go to town in safety. Can mix a point blank aoe shockwave now and then for extra variety/fun. When they get you, simply recast "can't die".

Raskens

Learned
Patron
I'm playing this for the first time, and I find the quest descriptions to be subpar. For example, they ask me to look for someone in the Valley of the Damned, but never give any instructions where the valley (north, south, west etc.) is and other NPCs doesn't provide this information either. The map shows several valleys, in fact the whole forest area west of Goliet could be considered somewhat a big valley. Another example is when they asked me to find 5 berserkers in the forest. My initial thought was that they refered to the woods north and west of Goliat, but apparently the whole green area of the map is the "forest". Personally I would consider it to be several smaller forests rather than one big forest. Maybe I missed some information about the Valley of the Damned earlier on, but I still think the quest giver should give you some general directions. Not every quest description is like this, but some of them are. The game is still good though, but this is the aspect I'm most dissapointed with.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom