Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Murk

Arcane
Melee is fine, two-handed axes and hammers had my favorite move sets.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah and lose the best part of the game - melee combat, sure.
:what:

unless they patched it to completely change melee combat, I have no idea what you're talking about
Melee's always been the most fun and challenging in PB games. Despite the jankiness. I liked the Gothic combo system better than ELEX, but it's ok.

Ranged feels like cheating, allowing you to avoid all that sweet PB danger.

When you're a Cleric, melee is hardly risky. Use the "prevent death" power, use decoy and go to town in safety. Can mix a point blank aoe shockwave now and then for extra variety/fun. When they get you, simply recast "can't die".
Magic always felt OP in Gothics. That's why I avoided it in my first playthrough. Maybe it's time for another.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Why would they give you instructions, the world of Elex is a dangerous and inhospitable place. I finished the game without finding the bald companion. Quest compass has done enough damage already so there is no reason to oversimplify games by introducing hand holding.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So I carried on the game after stopping a while :

- Grenades have allowed me to kill enemies way above my league, including Albs even though I still have the starting weapons (cultivator bow and base axe), it is rare games in which grenades are viable,
- I really the fact that you are going to use the consumables beyond the health potions, at least at the beginning to compensate weakness
- I also appreciate the fact that your companions gets fairly easily downed in battle, unlike Risen 2/3 where the first 40% of the game is putting your companion in harm's way so he kills the enemy and you collect the XP.

I am wondering which of the 3 factions has the most interesting "exclusive" quest line. I like the Berserkers less but if they have the best quest line I am going to play them. I don't care much about equipment and whatnot.

Codex Year of the Donut
The raiders or whatever they're called have the least fleshed out quests. Other two are about equal, berserkers have more to do with the overall plot and clerics more to do with their own story.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I sided with the outlaws but by the end they became my enemies and only the berserkers helped me. It feels like the main game is designed around the berserkers and the other two factions are an afterthought.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Why would they give you instructions, the world of Elex is a dangerous and inhospitable place.

Even more reason for the quest giver to me a detailed instruction as it's in their best interest for me to succeed with the quest. Why would anyone ask me to find a person x in Valley of the Damned but not inform me where this valley is? It just doesn't make any sense at all. Note, that the game seems to be inconsistent with this. Sometimes it gives me proper instructions, and sometimes it doesn't.

Quest compass has done enough damage already so there is no reason to oversimplify games by introducing hand holding.

Gothic 1, 2 and Risen did exactly what I'm asking for. In fact I can't think if of any RPG without quest markers that doesn't do this.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I sided with the outlaws but by the end they became my enemies and only the berserkers helped me. It feels like the main game is designed around the berserkers and the other two factions are an afterthought.

Really? Huh. I got all factions to help me, but yeah, the game seems to favour the Berserkers most.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Because the quest giver doesn't know that you are a bald man who ate alien crystals, he thinks that you know the place because you are a local.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Because the quest giver doesn't know that you are a bald man who ate alien crystals, he thinks that you know the place because you are a local.

Well, I've asked them alot of questions which should imply that I'm not a local. I asked Duras about the factions if I remember it correctly, and Duras in turn informed the camp that I'll arrive. Additionally, I should be able to ask them for more descpritions, perhaps with the cost of them realizing I'm a total stranger.

Jinn

Arcane
Quest contextual dialogue is definitely lacking in a number of situations. That being said, I had quest markers off for almost my entire playthrough and was able to complete I'd say something like 95% of them without, just by naturally exploring the world. So while it's definitely possible to approach the game in such a way, I really hope they put more attention into this in ELEX 2 - that is if we ever get an announcement for ELEX 2 :argh:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Yeah, I am playing with the Quest Marker on, like I did for Risen 2 and Risen 3. They are sometimes pretty vague about where you want to go, AND the quest entry is pretty lackluster so if you check the questbook it does not remind you where you are supposed to go.

Also, toddlers in real life => Less time to play than when I played Morrowing Gothic 1/2 or Risen => Bless you quest markers because I keep forgetting the quests when I pick up the game again.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Well, I've asked them alot of questions which should imply that I'm not a local. I asked Duras about the factions if I remember it correctly, and Duras in turn informed the camp that I'll arrive. Additionally, I should be able to ask them for more descpritions, perhaps with the cost of them realizing I'm a total stranger.

I guess they just assume most players will use the quest markers you can set in the quest menu.
Also, toddlers in real life => Less time to play than when I played Morrowing Gothic 1/2 or Risen => Bless you quest markers because I keep forgetting the quests when I pick up the game again.

Quest markers are the best. As someone who is absolutely horrible with directions in real life this saves me from getting hopelessly lost like in did in Morrowind when I was young.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
I sided with the outlaws because I just wanted to blast people in the face with shotguns and wear some tubular armor while doing so.

JDR13

Arcane
At least ELEX gives you the option instead of forcing markers on you. I played without the minimap and had no problems finding most objectives. They still show on the main map screen.

kreight

I don't think that's the case. They are the first faction you meet. You can run to other faction cities straight from the start ignoring Goliet.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quest markers also indirectly create worse world design. Devs can just put random shit without any sense of place or direction that makes sense because players will just follow dots.

Without quest markers, the roads, landmarks, etc should be considered as a legit way of navigating thus creating better, more cohesive worlds.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think that's the case. They are the first faction you meet. You can run to other faction cities straight from the start ignoring Goliet.

Yeah, berserker warrior-tree-huggers that fear technology and walk bare-foot just feel weird to me. The other 2 factions are a lot more flavorful IMO.

JDR13

Arcane

Yeah, berserker warrior-tree-huggers that fear technology and walk bare-foot just feel weird to me. The other 2 factions are a lot more flavorful IMO.

The Outlaws seemed the least appealing to me. I finished it as a Berserker and plan on going Cleric whenever I get around to replaying it.

The Berserkers have magic, the Clerics have Psionics, and the Outlaws... well, they can craft ammo and do drugs. Seriously, their special abilities are really lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom