Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Barbarian

Arcane
So no news yet?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is from Swen of Larian than LA guys, but apparently they're "fully" working on Fallen Heroes right now. If that's the case I guess the Third Expeditions game is still in kind of pre-production.

(Fabulously optimistically imagining Expeditions: Rome in Divinity Engine :cool:)

Arulan

Cipher
Rome? I'd prefer a setting that isn't so widely used already. One of the many expeditions into Africa or Persia could be interesting

Barbarian

Arcane
This is from Swen of Larian than LA guys, but apparently they're "fully" working on Fallen Heroes right now. If that's the case I guess the Third Expeditions game is still in kind of pre-production.

(Fabulously optimistically imagining Expeditions: Rome in Divinity Engine :cool:)

Or maybe it means it isn't in the works.

Sad news I guess. They never really confirmed a third expeditions game, only that they were working on a game. Their divinity spin off means if there is ever a new expeditions that will be years from now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The announcement made it sound like they were under contract to produce a third Expeditions game for THQ Nordic at some point. It wasn't just vague plans.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hard to think they can go full throttle on two projects at once, though.

It's still possible we'll get the Divinity game, then a third Expeditions game with a reasonable budget via Nordic. That's a pretty great timeline to be in, really.

Arulan

Cipher
I wasn't speaking solely about RPGs. There are a lot of strategy and city-builder games set during the Roman Empire. It's not a terrible choice, I'd just like to see something less explored. Expeditions: Conquistadors for example was set in a time and place that I've wanted to see more of for a long time, and I still do. Kingdom Come: Deliverance recently made me really interested in Bohemia and its history.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
So, what happened to this?

The Expeditions series was the best thing to happen to non-indie RPGs in the last decade, it would be really sad for it to just fade into the night due to poor sales.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well fwiw if we assume they entered full production of this game when Fallen Heroes was put on hold, it's about 16 months of development time. Vikings took about 2 years since they announced that they begun development. Also considering that they are now working with a big publisher, it's not particularly strange about this silence imo.

Barbarian

Arcane
I do know Vikings wasn't a best-seller, which is quite sad considering the overall quality and production value of the game.

I hope a third game wasn't cancelled. I still think Vikings did not sell well because the market is so damn saturated with media set in the viking age. Must be hard to advertise an indie game as such.

If they go with something like crusades or another less explored historical setting which captures imagination it will draw a lot of attention and sell well I'm sure.

Barbarian

Arcane
Itt, crowdfunding would work for them. They have built a small fanbase but one which would gladly throw money their way. I know I would.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The really great settings for an Expeditions game would be the 19th century - for example China during the Taiping civil war (you could play a character similar to Frederick Townsend Ward, picking a side and/or just exploring and pillaging the land to get rich), Afghanistan/India during the Great Game (you could play a character like Kim, looking for treasures and manipulating tribal politics while clashing with Russian agents) or of course Africa (the possibilities are huge here, you could play as David Livingstone type character searching for sources of the Nile while gaining new ground for the Empire). The Taiping civil war is an especially cool period (basically a failed Chink civil servant declared himself the younger brother of Jesus, attempted to overthrow the Manchus and turn China into a Christian nation while killing about 30 milions of people, he came within reach of victory only to get fucked over by the Eternal Anglo and the perfidious Frenchie) that would deserve some attention in the western gaming.

Of course none of the above is going to happen in the current year. Well, definitely not the China ("muh Chink market") and Africa ("muh evul whitey") settings, the Afghan setting would perhaps not be immediately so offensive to SJW retards, but would still require larger balls than the devs (and especially publishers) have. I am not too excited for the possible Roman setting, but we will see I guess - provided the game actually comes out.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The really great settings for an Expeditions game would be the 19th century - for example China during the Taiping civil war (you could play a character similar to Frederick Townsend Ward, picking a side and/or just exploring and pillaging the land to get rich), Afghanistan/India during the Great Game (you could play a character like Kim, looking for treasures and manipulating tribal politics while clashing with Russian agents) or of course Africa (the possibilities are huge here, you could play as David Livingstone type character searching for sources of the Nile while gaining new ground for the Empire). The Taiping civil war is an especially cool period (basically a failed Chink civil servant declared himself the younger brother of Jesus, attempted to overthrow the Manchus and turn China into a Christian nation while killing about 30 milions of people, he came within reach of victory only to get fucked over by the Eternal Anglo and the perfidious Frenchie) that would deserve some attention in the western gaming.

Of course none of the above is going to happen in the current year. Well, definitely not the China ("muh Chink market") and Africa ("muh evul whitey") settings, the Afghan setting would perhaps not be immediately so offensive to SJW retards, but would still require larger balls than the devs (and especially publishers) have. I am not too excited for the possible Roman setting, but we will see I guess - provided the game actually comes out.

Greek settings, or Roman empire, Etruscans, Sumerians, Celts would be very good.
Even maybe a early American wild west conquest one or why not a Sci-Fi settings?

Barbarian

Arcane
Is the ultra long silence considered normal now? Last actual lifesigns are from march 2020:

Days before that they were advertising job openings in their copenhagen and istanbul offices. In fact the company's website still displays all said job openings(as if they weren't taken at all).

I hope the company hasn't silently gone into bankrupcy/quietly closed down the business.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, I would be sorry to see this studio go... guess it wouldnt be too surprising if they went bankrupt tbh.

V_K

Arcane
The Danish business register lists them as active. If I'm reading the financial report correctly, they made a small net loss in 2020, but were able to cover it with other assets, so no bankruptcy. They also did seem to hire someone as the staff numbers increased from 16 to 17 in 2020.

Barbarian

Arcane
Good to hear bro. Just wish they would break their silence then... it's been an year and a half since they canceled the larian game. I doubt they don't have something to show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom