Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Lore 2: Guardians of Destiny

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since there was no thread for this mastrpiss, I'm creating one:

Gq9gFDC.jpg

Sinatar

Arbiter
God I hate this game.

*Hate*

The god damn random transformation system. Never has a worse idea been implemented more poorly in a game. Go play Shadowcaster instead, it's the same concept but not designed by fucking morons.

I have to admit I somehow like the game. Much more than LoL1 where I got stuck in some dungeon years ago and never found my way out again. I never finished LoL2 but it had a nice atmosphere, especially the jungle world was very well made. The transformation thing is double-edged: As the player is supposed to suffer from a terrible curse and curses generally have the tendency to fuck you up it made sense in terms of narration. From a gameplay standpoint it wasn't the brightest of ideas though. I remember running away again and again when I got transformed into the tiny lizard thing and most of the time it was a pain to wait until I transformed back into something better. It was still cool if I transformed in the big guy and the guards were running away from me in terror.

Boleskine

Arcane
Eh, it's a good game despite the flaws. More of an action-adventure RPG-lite than an RPG. Transformation system is a bit of an annoyance but eventually you can control it and change your form at will. Some of the transformations seemed scripted, like if you are near an area that requires the lizard to go through a small area or the beast to pass through some other obstacle. Graphics are crude in spots but the cutscenes and live action were fairly well done. Combat is decent. The jungle maps were pretty fun to explore and find secrets. Plus Frank Klepacki's music is outstanding:

Since there was no thread for this mastrpiss

fakenews.png
, sort of.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/so-about-lands-of-lore-2-and-3.92317/

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Here is a complete Guide to have the Lands of Loire expand:

For the first expansion:
  • Vote for Jean in the election
For the second expansion:
  • Taste the wineguy's wine three times, then give the winebottle to the girl at the bar in Freedom
  • Help Pierre invent the Camera
  • Do Marily a favour and give her clothes to the three girls in Freedom
  • Take Matis's painting and give it to Rich in Great Britain
Note: Loire won't reach it's third state before you've first gotten Freedom to it's second state.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As a massive LoL1 fan - the game that drew me away from adventures to RPGs - I've tried to get into LoL2 more times than I care to remember. But I just can't get over the transformation gimmick. How diseased your brain must be to come up with something like that? I'm still committed to finish this before I die tho. Just not today. Or tomorrow.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As a massive LoL1 fan - the game that drew me away from adventures to RPGs - I've tried to get into LoL2 more times than I care to remember. But I just can't get over the transformation gimmick. How diseased your brain must be to come up with something like that? I'm still committed to finish this before I die tho. Just not today. Or tomorrow.
I got pretty dang far in the game when I decided to give up. Too many areas where you had to interact a with b to get c with no explanation. With patience I got past the jungle city... which bugged out on me the first time I made it there where it wouldn't advance. Too much like Stonekeep in regards. Taking advantage of CDs to make fancy cutscenes, wonderful music, nice areas, with amazingly pixelated characters in the same scenes. Felt dated in 1997 and that's saying something.
Hard to believe Westwood released Blade Runner the exact same year.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I mostly hated to love the game or was it the other way around?
Interesting overall, I wouldn't replay it if it was the last game on earth but i have some fond faded memories of it.

But i liked LoL 1 way less, would be good if it was TB and there was no reason not to make it so, such a waste...

Eisen

Learned
About LoL 1 combat, i can't believe that they implemented a simplified version of EOB combat(which is already a simplification of Dungeon Master)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Extremely flawed game, but the world and dungeons are fun to explore, and it has an INSANE amount of hidden areas and reactivity. Like, multiple large & complex dungeons a lot of people will never find.

Of course it gets overshadowed by Fallout 1 being released in the same year, but it's an early example of a game with multiple endings based on your actions, where you can attack and often kill every NPC in the game. There a lot of secrets and optional areas to find, but like Daemongar said, a lot of them make no sense or are easy to miss - like only having one chance to talk to an NPC or it leaves the game forever and you lose an entire quest chain.

Overall, if you simply read about the game's itens, dungeons and multiple choices, it sounds very cool. When you actually play it... not so much...

Last edited:

Miner Arobar

Educated
It's been decades since I played this. I recall getting to the tower thingy but not much farther. Graphical style is uneven with some awkward fmv stuff (LoL1 is generally better in this regard) but some areas (like the Huline jungle) were really nicely done. At the time the transformations didn't bother me that much. The lizard came in handy. The big ogre thing not so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom