Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Agreed about the faction special abilities.

But at the least the Outlaws fit in the setting. Berserkers don't, IMO.

Sykar

Arcane
Quest markers also indirectly create worse world design. Devs can just put random shit without any sense of place or direction that makes sense because players will just follow dots.

Without quest markers, the roads, landmarks, etc should be considered as a legit way of navigating thus creating better, more cohesive worlds.

More importantly they distract you from the actual world that they build since your focus is on the quest marker, not your actual surroundings.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't see anything wrong with someone marking your map -- and the quality of such should depend on the technology level of the game's setting.
It doesn't seem unreasonable for Jax to have an equivalent to GPS. Also not unreasonable to have NPCs capable of marking the general area for where you should go.

pinpoint accurate quest markers are bad though

Reader

Scholar
At least Elex doesn't have marked questgivers like W3.
Makes the journey better with all these sudden meetings.
I'd wish there were more of them though.
Also I completely missed Arx first time.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't see anything wrong with someone marking your map -- and the quality of such should depend on the technology level of the game's setting.
It doesn't seem unreasonable for Jax to have an equivalent to GPS. Also not unreasonable to have NPCs capable of marking the general area for where you should go.

pinpoint accurate quest markers are bad though
an area quest marker (aka big circle surrounding some areas where the objective is) is an acceptable compromise in case of a big game world, but there are also a wrong way of doing it. using witcher 3 as example, you're just scouring the area within the circle with batman vision or whatever.

such objectives within marker still should be accompanied by verbal or written (in quest log) description of what you are looking for and where. in a case of a big map, it helps narrow down specific area while still allowing player to discover and "finding your own way".

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Yeah, I like the area thing, though I know few games who are doing this.

Note that I also like the games without markers, but the quest direction better be fairly precise (except when not appropriate) and more important, THE WHOLE THING WRITTEN IN YOUR JOURNAL and neatly tied to the quest (not a Baldur's Gate journal where everything is one after the other).

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, I like the area thing, though I know few games who are doing this.

Note that I also like the games without markers, but the quest direction better be fairly precise (except when not appropriate) and more important, THE WHOLE THING WRITTEN IN YOUR JOURNAL and neatly tied to the quest (not a Baldur's Gate journal where everything is one after the other).

Vampyr often has quest markers that mark a considerable area and you need to search for your objectives, sometimes above or under the main level, on higher floors of buildings or in the sewers.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
This game has the best economic system I have ever seen in an RPG.

In order to train with the skill points you earn from leveling up you need money to pay your trainer. Enemies don't just drop weapons and armor that are just as good or better than what shops carry. In order to get the good stuff you have to either buy or craft it. Crafting requires both raw ingredients and money. The value of what you craft doesn't exceed the cost of the ingredients and money so you can't just earn infinite money like in other rpgs.

All these money sinks make it so that when you do get Elexit as a reward for completing a quest, it actually is useful to you and not worthless like in other rpgs.

This system is so good, I'm amazed more RPGs haven't copied it.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I just ran into something unexpected that was a great job on the developers part
So I did the Elex Mana thief quest with Karl stealing the elex to feed his brother who had been turned into a mutant by a converter. He tells me he is slowly weeding him off of it and hopes to one day get his brother back to normal. I decide to do the non-cold option and keep his secret instead of killing him. Later on, I'm in the area low on health and try to remember if there is a bed I can rest at where Karl was. Go inside, Karl is dead and his mutant brother is now hostile. Loot Karl's corpse and find his journal. Turns out Karl was full of shit, his junkie mutant brother's Elex addiction was getting worse not better. So poor guy ended up dying trying to help his brother
It was a great touch for a quest I had technically already finished.

Codex Year of the Donut
make sure you got the latest patch they released or else it's easy to unintentionally fuck the economy up

and the skill(?) thing that lets you skin animals or whatever helps you get money. Been a while since I played, can't remember what it's called.

ADL

Prophet
For the ten of you that don't own this
incline.png
already. Typically these Choice deals coincide with the announcement or release of something else the studio is doing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since ELEX will be one of the games in Humble Choice March, I think that we can expect ELEX 2 info in a not too distant future.

Biomutant releases in May, this year. Both are THQ Nordic/Embracer owned studios. Once Biomutant is released, I expect them to focus on ELEX 2.

Source: My butt.

kreight

It's obvious they are going to make an announcement this year. The question is when exactly.

kreight

An announcement of an announcement, we blizzard now.
That video has like 4.7k views. Are you fucking kidding me? This is like an indie familiy home made sitcom. That's why it's fucking million times better than any corporate shit blizzard can ever produce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom