Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Guys was there any point in our timeline when man could buy Amiga stuff dirty cheap, like it's with every other normal kind of hardware?

I'm NOT talking about stock A500/600/1200 since they were being sold for pennies even decade ago or so, I'm asking about:

- 'big' Amigas: 1000/2000/3000/4000
- fancy turbo cards like Cyberstorm
- PowerPC nu-Amigas like PegasOS, AmigaOne etc.

Installing MorphOS on cheap Apple laptop is excluded.

warci

Educated
early 2k friend of mine was buying 4000s specifically. ex: our school lab had about 10 of them and were sold at 50€ each. multisync monitors were free. There was also a 4000 tower with some really exotic video broadcast/digitizing hardware that went for 200€. If only I wasn't dirt poor back then...

but yeah ppc's: not a chance
Guys was there any point in our timeline when man could buy Amiga stuff dirty cheap, like it's with every other normal kind of hardware?

I'm NOT talking about stock A500/600/1200 since they were being sold for pennies even decade ago or so, I'm asking about:

Luzur

Good Sir

late 90's/early 2000's Amiga stuff was very, very cheap, you could get A1200's for like 2 bucks and A4000 towers for free, im still triggered that i didnt work harder on obtaining it all back then.... :(

warci

Educated
one thing we do have to be thankful for though: I went through a lot of pc recycling centers back in the day and found loads of c64's and A500's but -never- anything newer. Most people really love their 600/1200's and big box machines too much to throw them away so there's still plenty out there. (oh yeah, I did find a working 1000 that one time :)

Mortmal

Arcane

late 90's/early 2000's Amiga stuff was very, very cheap, you could get A1200's for like 2 bucks and A4000 towers for free, im still triggered that i didnt work harder on obtaining it all back then.... :(
You didnt work harder on it cause late 90's an amiga 500 was fine enough, and the games were not using the 1200 hardware , while pc got wing commander ulttima 7 and UU. If anything the lack of hardisk by default was the death sentence for commodore.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

You didnt work harder on it cause late 90's an amiga 500 was fine enough, and the games were not using the 1200 hardware , while pc got wing commander ulttima 7 and UU. If anything the lack of hardisk by default was the death sentence for commodore.

In late 90s there were some games made for expanded Amiga 1200 and 4000, which actually required 68040 or 060 to play properly, such as Napalm or a few FPSes made at that time, like Genetic Species. Mostly those games were pretty shit.

Mortmal

Arcane

In late 90s there were some games made for expanded Amiga 1200 and 4000, which actually required 68040 or 060 to play properly, such as Napalm or a few FPSes made at that time, like Genetic Species. Mostly those games were pretty shit.
There was nothing at all of worth indeed on the A1200 when everything of worth was on the A500 before . I bet if it had an hard drive it could have been a cheap and popular alternative to a gaming pc and we would still be using evolved amigas alongside pc and apple . They had everything and fucked it up, interface in the 90's was so much better on amiga you turn the button on everything was working and with mouse support so much more userfriendly . Going back to DOS and memory config, config.sys and autoexec.bat was going back to stone age.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

There was nothing at all of worth indeed on the A1200 when everything of worth was on the A500 before . I bet if it had an hard drive it could have been a cheap and popular alternative to a gaming pc and we would still be using evolved amigas alongside pc and apple . They had everything and fucked it up, interface in the 90's was so much better on amiga you turn the button on everything was working and with mouse support so much more userfriendly . Going back to DOS and memory config, config.sys and autoexec.bat was going back to stone age.

Big mistake what C= did was that they afaik didn't court any game developers, if they'd gotten game developers on board for Amiga 1200 right from the start, it might've saved it...that and having HD by default. There were some good AGA games made in 1992-1995, but they were mostly arcade or action games, nothing earth shattering like Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Doom etc. By the time Amiga 1200 hit the shelves, it was on par with the similarly priced PCs, at best, 020 would've been a great processor maybe in 1990, not in late 1992 or early 1993.

Mortmal

Arcane
yes poor leadership kill a company they dont even realize people were using amiga kinda like a console too, even the snes had an U7 port . If the snes could an amiga 1200 with hardrrive could have too.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Amiga did really fall in the shit place after about 1990-91 of being in middle of IBM PCs and consoles, if you wanted to play "serious games" like rpgs, strategy games etc you bought PC and if you wanted to play action/arcade games, you bought a console. I remember talking a few years ago with some ex- and current amiga users, and they had really hard time accepting that, they got very defensive and butthurt when I said that Amiga practically died as a gaming platform once PC got such games as Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Wizardry 7, Wing Commander 1+2, Alone in the Dark etc, as Amiga had no games like that to compete with. I loved Amiga, but I'm smart and objective enough to face the truth that Amiga as a computer and gaming platform had a LOT more potential than it actually achieved as.

I think big reason why Amiga got so many fucking shit arcade/action games is that Amiga was huge in UK and they've always had horrible taste in games, I don't think rpgs, strategy games etc were nearly as popular there as they were in the USA and some other european countries. Fucking bongs ruin everything.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Tiger where am I wrong? Even though I shit on bongs for having shit taste in games, Commodore UK was actually one of the few places who did decent job with marketing Amiga. They released those packs with Batman game and a few other packs like that.

Luzur

Good Sir
rape-games-and-censorship-in-sweden_6b1baa94.png

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=80064

Luzur

Good Sir
Ghostbusters 2021 - A new take on that classic Ghostbusters game for the C64! (WIP)

While many of you still remember and love to this day, the classic game of 'Ghostbusters'; a game based on the movie of the same name that was released on many different systems such as the Amstrad, C64 and ZX Spectrum. There's one game you might want to keep an eye on if you love either the movie or the games, is Dave Izon's upcoming Action game of 'Ghostbusters 2021'; a game developed as his first game programmed in assembly which features the music from the original.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/ghostbusters-2021-new-take-on-that.html#more

Monstro Giganto - A glorious PETSCII C64 game is coming soon via RGCD

If you read our previous article, you would've known that Antonio Savona and team were working on a brand new PETSCII C64 game called Monstro Giganto; a homebrew that's very similar in artistic design to another game we have featured called Digiloi. Well fast forward to this weekend, and not only has a new gif been posted via Facebook, but they've also mentioned the AI is complete and that it will be shipped soon through RGCD.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/monstro-giganto-glorious-petscii-c64.html#more

Briley Witch Chronicles - A fabulous work in progress C64 RPG with new footage from Sarah Jane Avory

As many of you know by now especially after @hayesmaker64's inside scoop from 2018, the ex-SEGA game developer and author: Sarah Jane Avory is working on a fabulous RPG for the C64 called ' Briley Witch Chronicles ', which by all accounts isn't just a good looking game, but will have lots of interesting features that is sure to whet your appetite. Well after playing the fantastic games of Zeta Wing, and the festive game of Santron, it looks as if the developer wants to share some much needed info with an impressive piece of footage(link) for the in dev RPG Briley Witch Chronicles.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/briley-witch-chronicles-fabulous-work.html#more

One on One - An early C64 preview of a clone of a 1980's classic

We don't feature many sports based games on Indie Retro News, so to change all that here's an early preview you might like to load up on your Commodore 64, and it's rikib80's Basketball C64 game of ' One on One '; An early version of a game that looks very much like EA's 1984 game of One-on-One which was also released on the Amiga, Apple II, Atari 7800, Atari 8-bit, ColecoVision, Macintosh, PC Booter, TRS-80 CoCo and ZX Spectrum.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/one-on-one-early-c64-preview-of-clone.html#more

Runn 'N Gunn - A cool looking C64 action platformer gets an alpha video tease

If you're looking for even more great C64 news then you've come to the right place, as trawling through our twitter feeds, we've come across another video update for Carleton Handley's upcoming Action Platformer of Runn 'N Gunn; a game previously mentioned by Per Ola and Saberman and featured on Indie Retro News, that looks to have great background detail, smooth scrolling and rather nice sprite animation.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/runn-n-gunn-cool-looking-c64-action_19.html#more

Nixy the Glade Sprite - A fabulous ZX Spectrum game is coming soon to the C64

In May of 2018 Scotty of Indie Retro News did a big review of the ZX Spectrum game Nixy The Glade Sprite, in which he said " It was a very fun and addictive game that casual and advanced players should try especially with its beautifully crafted visuals". So why is this game getting a mention yet again on IRN? Well it seems as if the C64 is about to get in on the entertainment, as Bubble Soft Games has announced Nixy The Glade Sprite will soon be available for the Commodore64 as a digital download and also on Cartridge.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/nixy-glade-sprite-fabulous-zx-spectrum.html#more

Gravity Duck 64 - An upside down C64 game from Adrian Kurek is coming!

A bit of a late C64 news update for you all, especially as it's near 1am here in the UK. But we've recently been informed through Saberman, that if you follow Adrian Kurek's development blog, you'll see that he is working on a new C64 game called 'Gravity Duck 64'; a game which is based around Woblyware's Indie game of the same name which is also called Gravity Duck.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2021/01/gravity-duck-64-upside-down-c64-game.html#more

Luzur

Good Sir
Zap Fight Trilogy - An EPIC shoot em up series 'enhanced' hits the C64

Glorious news for this late Christmas evening, especially you are a fan of shoot em ups, as Psytronik Software has released the latest frantic shooter series for the C64 called ' Zap Fight Trilogy'. Featuring the graphics of Alf Yngve, code by Martin Piper and music by Richard, this rather eye opening shoot em up series is inspired by the classic game Slap Fight and features lots of blasting action and plenty of power ups to keep you busy.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2020/12/zap-fight-trilogy-epic-shoot-em-up.html#more

Soul Force - Eagerly awaited C64 shoot em up from Sarah Jane Avory is finally here!

While many of you are still eagerly awaiting Sarah Jane Avory's upcoming RPG of 'Briley Witch Chronicles' or madly clicking joysticks blasting away enemies in the most enjoyable of shoot em ups Zeta Wing or Neutron, you might be interested to know, that thanks to a heads up via Protovision, we have been told that you can now purchase and download the fabulous looking game of Soul Force; a 100% 6502 assembly developed game for fans of the Shoot em up genre!

(CONTINUE READING)

My Day on the Highway - An upcoming C64 game requiring fast reactions!

If you love playing games that require a very fast reaction time almost as if it's an endless runner, then you might be interested in this news announcement. As thanks to Thomas Farley giving us the heads up via Facebook earlier today, we've been told kaviolalainen is working on a new C64 racing game which does require a fast reaction time, called ' My Day on the Highway '.

(CONTINUE READING)

Falksi

Arcane
Boom, all over this thread! Shadow of The Beast, Alien Breed 2, Flashback, Dark Seed.....I need some of those in my life again soon.

Remember.......

PJ4MScg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom