Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

DeepOcean

Arcane
Would you recommend Odyssey though?
Best of the three modern Ass Creeds, it has both ground combat and sea combat, if you dont like it, skip Ass Origins and Ass Valhalla, you wont miss much as they are just more of the same but inferior. Origins only have to its advantage the egyptian setting as Egypt is really beautiful on that game but its mechanics are just simplified versions of Odyssey gameplay that arent all that complex in the first place.

Valhalla is boring, first, they removed sea combat, the raiding mechanic like all Ubisoft mechanics is a half assed waste of time and far from being a replacement for the sea battles, England at the time of the viking invasion looks boring as fuck. In terms of loot, they did something good, ended the looter shooter aspects of the loot and handplaced the loot but, as this is Ubisoft we are talking about, then they did something really bad by pretty much eliminating most weapons and armors to sell as DLC later. Valhalla also overhauls the skill tree but, as it is Ubisoft we are talking about, most is +2% bonuses just so you think it is bigger than really is. Honestly, you wont miss much by skipping this.

Also, dont expect any interesting stories on any of the three, actually, dont expect any good stories from Ass Creed at all, the last Ass Creed game with a good story was Ass Creed 2 and that only had a good story because Ubisoft was still a normal publisher by that time and not a Ponzi Scheme that only cares about stock performance to keep investors happy. Most Ass Creed stories and quests are nonsense and the main villains are so forgettable that you need to read entries on your journal to remember they are the villains if you stop play for some time.You will literally think: who was this guy I just killed and what he done anyway? And the game goes: "Nah, dont care about, look, there is a pyramid in there, cool isnt it?"

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Also, dont expect any interesting stories on any of the three, actually, dont expect any good stories from Ass Creed at all

I found many of the side-quests in Odyssey to be p. good vignettes.

The most interesting stories in the game were found in the side-quests, much like in Twitcher 3.

The albatross around Odyssey's neck is the "AssCreed" part of the game.

Without that anchor of mediocrity, Odyssey would have been a surprisingly refreshing take on an action-RPG set in mythological ancient Greece.

It was the vignettes that kept my interest, and the fun of exploring Ancient Greece.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
:hmmm:
hqqwZHx.png

"Vikinger" doesn't make any sense grammatically.

It actually kind of does if you look at the Norse word.

There were two words "Viking" and "Vikingr".

Viking is the activity and Vikingr is the person or persons doing said activity.
In Swedish you would say "Att gå i Viking", meaning to travel far away in search of riches.

A modern version of Vikingr in Swedish could be Vikingare.

This could be compared to the words "fotboll" (the activity) and fotboll(sspel)are (fotboll player).

From this perspective it's perfectly reasonable to say "fellow vinkinger" just like you would say "fellow footballer".

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
A modern version of Vikingr in Swedish could be Vikingare.

This could be compared to the words "fotboll" (the activity) and fotboll(sspel)are (fotboll player).

From this perspective it's perfectly reasonable to say "fellow vinkinger" just like you would say "fellow footballer".

Fairly certain the correct spelling would be Vikingr then. Besides, what exactly are they speaking? English? Norse? Anglo-Saxon?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also, dont expect any interesting stories on any of the three, actually, dont expect any good stories from Ass Creed at all

I found many of the side-quests in Odyssey to be p. good vignettes.

The most interesting stories in the game were found in the side-quests, much like in Twitcher 3.

The albatross around Odyssey's neck is the "AssCreed" part of the game.

Without that anchor of mediocrity, Odyssey would have been a surprisingly refreshing take on an action-RPG set in mythological ancient Greece.

It was the vignettes that kept my interest, and the fun of exploring Ancient Greece.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, also, Kassandra and Alexios for being white greeks that like relaxing and getting a tan on greek beaches, are alot more relaxed and fun to play with, Alexios is sarcastic and like to joke with people what makes secondary quests much more tolerable, in comparison, on Origins, Bayek is like : "I'm the last descendent of the We Wuz Kangz tribe so I must be brooding and serious, egyptian batman, all the time to represent my ancestors." By the time I killed the guy who killed his son I was thinking, "Man, that was the most low sodium revenge plot I've seen on my life."

Eivor is even worse: "" We vikangz are raiders so, of course we must talk like retarded meatheads to fit on the general public dumb stereotypes about vikings, even more funny is female vikings also taking like retarded meatheads for equality. Beware english men, I Eivor will howl to the moon and piss on your carpets like all vikangz do.""

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Can someone give me the rundown on this game, no bs
Seriously do not play Odyssey. These wankers recommending Odyssey are retarded, it's writing is rubbish enough that even Assassin's Creed fans call it trash. And it's gameplay is grindy mmo piece of shit.

Play Origins or Valhalla. Origins>Valhalla. Both are good, Valhalla is a fantasy land of inclusion if that bothers you, play Origins. Gameplay is tighter in Origins; Loot is better in Valhalla. Exploration is decent in both with Valhalla coming out ahead.
Also Origins protagonist is likeable, unlike the abominations in both Odyssey & Valhalla.

Last edited:
Strong disagree. Loot is abysmal in Valhalla - it has almost no impact on gameplay. It's so easy even on the hardest setting that statistical differences don't impact anything. I'd wager that you could remove the RPG systems entirely and it wouldn't matter. Valhalla's exploration is better in terms of content and presentation, but outside of a few side activities that are fun on their own right, the lack of meaningful progression makes doing most things feel pointless. At least Odyssey works as a simple ARPG with loot sets that change your playstyle and skills that matter because enemies have fairly chunky health pools. It's a very bland way of doing things, but optimization matters in Odyssey. The only stat that matters in Valhalla is your power level, and that increases passively as you level up.

Codex Year of the Donut
Odyssey is basically a not as well written witcher 3 in ancient greece with much better itemization, arguably better combat, stealth, and the shadow of mordor nemesis system. Historical accuracy ranges from obscure references nobody besides historians are really aware of to sub-saharan black greeks. It's hard not to enjoy ancient greece being recreated in such detail, even if some of it is obviously off. If you're looking for some AAA fast food garbage, you can do a lot worse.
I have no idea how anyone would get "grindy mmo" out of it.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Seriously do not play Odyssey. These wankers recommending Odyssey are retarded, it's writing is rubbish enough that even Assassin's Creed fans call it trash.

That's high praise, because the "Assassin's Creed fans" are the most massive of faggots. Absolute shiteaters who revel in the garbage "meta-story" and the "Assassins vs Templars" and the "Isu" and other autistic drivel.

They think AC2 was good, more than that, that AC2 was the pinnacle of the series - it wasn't. It was typical console trash, a rehashed Prince of Persia SoT with the most banal and ignorant plot imaginable.

I lost braincells playing through it and listening to the "Assassin's Creed fans" claiming it was in any way, shape or form "historically accurate". Are humans that dumb??

Yes, if they're "Assassin's Creed fans".

So there's no higher praise than "Assassin's Creed fans" disliking something.

typical user

Arbiter
I recommended AC: Odyssey since it has the most varied gameplay. I don't remember any SJW stuff in there apart from the unusal tan making everyone look like an arabian sandnigger.

EDIT: Whether you should play Ubi games is different subject.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can someone give me the rundown on this game, no bs
Seriously do not play Odyssey. These wankers recommending Odyssey are retarded, it's writing is rubbish enough that even Assassin's Creed fans call it trash. And it's gameplay is grindy mmo piece of shit.

Play Origins or Valhalla. Origins>Valhalla. Both are good, Valhalla is a fantasy land of inclusion if that bothers you, play Origins. Gameplay is tighter in Origins; Loot is better in Valhalla. Exploration is decent in both with Valhalla coming out ahead.
Man, Ass Creed writing is shit for a really long time, basically since Ubisoft started shitting them out anually so I dunno what you are talking about, if those Ass Creed fans only started noticing that with Odyssey, they are really, really retarded. Gameplay is "tighter"? Nigga, Origins is just Odyssey with less stuff, the two have extremely similar gameplay but Odyssey has sea battles and that automatically makes it the better game. Also, you shilling for Valhalla saying Odyssey is MMOish? Man, most AAA crap has MMO elements, but you claiming you need to grind on Odyssey is just fake news also Valhalla has that mobile abortion of "Power level", that shit alone makes that gameplay more intolerable because everything depends on that shit retarded number.

DemonKing

Arcane
I recommended AC: Odyssey since it has the most varied gameplay. I don't remember any SJW stuff in there apart from the unusal tan making everyone look like an arabian sandnigger.

Apart from the splash screen every time you boot up of course telling you how the game was created by a bunch of SJWs diverse individuals of all genders, religions, races and sexual orientations.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Apart from the splash screen every time you boot up of course telling you how the game was created by a bunch of SJWs diverse individuals of all genders, religions, races and sexual orientations.

I don't even know why that line is still there.

It's clearly a vestige from the first game, but that makes no sense anymore. At least not in a game where you're larping in Ancient Greece or Medieval England.

Of course in the first game, where you were larping as a mohammedan in mohammedan lands, killing mohammedans and Christians, that's when the cowards put that line in.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I find it fascinating how there's less and less point in buying these at launch or even soon after.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I checked some gameplay footage of this game. Can anybody explain why the haircuts are generally so ugly in this game and also identical to the ones in Cyberpunk 2077? In particular the female ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom