Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess horror games are all made by hippies too, because they don't let you left click on antagonists to make them go away.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Not to mention stealth games.
Most of which let you eliminate opposition rather easily...

Don't know what you guys are going on about anyhow, as Subnautica is basically just a fishmurder simulator.

The apex predator and your trusty knife vs. creatures 50 times your size. Fuck yeah. Gut them like the fish they are!
You even get a murdermech later on with a handy grappling hook to cling on to your prey so you can better eviscerate them with an industrial mining drill.

The people who made this are batshit, man. probably sane fishing enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Anyway, checked out the new story and... Eh.

Story stuff clearly ain't their strong suit. Wish they'd focus more on mechanical- and a.i. depth.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Played 6 hours or so and average fps is getting lower with a few hitches at the very end of the session.
My base isn't too big yet, but who knows. Last game had issues with bases tanking framerate, as well as those lava vents producing more and more little resource items and bloating cache files iirc.

No big hardware utilization or anything, no major temp increases.

I don't think the devs ever really fixed those issues in the previous game, and I have this sneaking suspicion they won't bother this time around, either.

Restarting helps, but the way the game creates saves and such seems to be poorly designed.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
People don't have much in the way of alternatives to the Subnautica franchise... There used to be some underwater builder minecraft-like on Steam (or maybe it's still around) but it was abandoned or something and looked rather rough. Other underwater games are either sidescrollers or exploration only.

As a result, the devs can get away with a lot of incompetence... No matter how much the guys on the steam forums complain.

The optimization issue was dismissed by the same devs during early access of the first title... They said they'd just do it at the end or something. Then they just gave up.

Like so many other gamedev studios they're clearly lacking a large/capable enough coding team (modders managed to fix some of the issues). Understandable during development of Subnautica, not so understandable now that they should be filthy rich after the success of the same.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People don't have much in the way of alternatives to the Subnautica franchise...

Breathedge. Subnautica in space.

Just finished the EA version, the full release is in 2 days. Unfortunately it's wacky comedy (think Red Dwarf but worse) but it's Russian, it's based, it looks and runs way better than Subnautica, it's twice as big and costs half as much and gameplay-wise it's p. gud.

orcinator

Liturgist
gameplay-wise it's p. gud.

Does it have actual challenge? My problem with subnautica is that it's barely a game since nothing is actually threatening (contrary to what SCRUBS believe) aside from getting lost in a cave before you have fat oxygen tanks and not going back for more water.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
gameplay-wise it's p. gud.

Does it have actual challenge? My problem with subnautica is that it's barely a game since nothing is actually threatening (contrary to what SCRUBS believe) aside from getting lost in a cave before you have fat oxygen tanks and not going back for more water.

Only the first (tutorial-ish) part is available now and the only challenges are environmental. Plus a bunch of angry robots in one location.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You also get to "drive" around in this beauty:

Br_Text_05.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Today, Breathedge was released in 1.0-status. No major game-crippling bugs reported on that front so far, so it seems like a successful launch.

But Wait! There's more! Seems that Unknown Worlds felt a little butthurt about Breathedge's release, so they released an interrim release for Subnautica: Below Zero just a few hours after Breathedge's release. :roll:

...I'm not even gonna bother with checking out the Subnautica BZ-update, but there was an important news item that came along: The 1.0-release date for Subnautica BZ is May 14th... less than three months away.

Now if you'll excuse me, I still need to guide the Man to his next comedic hot-spot before I unlock the next breakthrough. ;)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Today, Breathedge was released in 1.0-status. No major game-crippling bugs reported on that front so far, so it seems like a successful launch.

But Wait! There's more! Seems that Unknown Worlds felt a little butthurt about Breathedge's release, so they released an interrim release for Subnautica: Below Zero just a few hours after Breathedge's release. :roll:

...I'm not even gonna bother with checking out the Subnautica BZ-update, but there was an important news item that came along: The 1.0-release date for Subnautica BZ is May 14th... less than three months away.

Now if you'll excuse me, I still need to guide the Man to his next comedic hot-spot before I unlock the next breakthrough. ;)

I'm in Chapter 6 of Breathedge now and I'm sad to report the first part is by far the most entertaining. Once you launch Normandy it turns into a different game. Sad.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
So, how is it in general? I've scrolled through this LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WcxtdhK3K8 and it pretty much looks like Subnautica. But with good production quality.
On the sad side, there seemed to be practically no enemies, the environment was pretty monotone and gray (yeah, I know, it's a pseudo asteroid belt), the wokeness was replaced with fat "клюква" humor and base-building was kinda limited.

Hamziz

Learned
On the O.G. Subnautica only:

Does the alien base music actually play properly for anyone? It always drops out for me after 5 seconds, and has been this way across installs and platforms.

See https://youtu.be/XGH35obte3Q for an example of what I'm talking about.

Hamziz

Learned
So, how is it in general? I've scrolled through this LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WcxtdhK3K8 and it pretty much looks like Subnautica. But with good production quality.
On the sad side, there seemed to be practically no enemies, the environment was pretty monotone and gray (yeah, I know, it's a pseudo asteroid belt), the wokeness was replaced with fat "клюква" humor and base-building was kinda limited.

Pretty much. A much more tedious Subnautica with less wonder, less fun, less danger and forced humor. The last act ditches the self awareness by totally phoning it in.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Pretty much. A much more tedious Subnautica with less wonder, less fun, less danger and forced humor. The last act ditches the self awareness by totally phoning it in.
Yeah, been watching CohhCarnage play it (same way as I've discovered Subnautica in the first place) and while it's somewhat amusing, I'm not getting anything even approaching the burning desire to play the game myself as was the case with Subnatica.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
New trailer out:

For those wondering, this is a short run-up story leading to the events of the game. Who would have thunk it, a (somewhat) useful trailer.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
That man is in a desperate need of proper training and equipment.
I happen to know where to get some if he's solvent.

Silva

Arcane
Man, if this haven't been given for free on PS Plus last month I would have missed a fucking immersive sim masterpiece. What a game.

:shredder:

So, I just built my Cyclops but I'm afraid as hell to use it on open waters and some leviathan show up and eats it. How safe it is to, say, go from island to island with it? Can I use it as a surface platform and just go down with the Moth?

Gimme some tips, bros.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I just built my Cyclops but I'm afraid as hell to use it on open waters and some leviathan show up and eats it. How safe it is to, say, go from island to island with it? Can I use it as a surface platform and just go down with the Moth?
Gimme some tips, bros.
Don't live in fear. You will want to take the Cyclops down deep sooner or later. The earlier you start getting comfortable piloting it, the smoother your response times will be when "situations" arise later.

Duralux for Durabux

Man, if this haven't been given for free on PS Plus last month I would have missed a fucking immersive sim masterpiece. What a game.

:shredder:
You could have got it for free permanently on Epic games store.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom