Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Kaivokz

Arcane
why would you torture yourself with expert economy
Expert economy isn't too hard if you make good choices on the strategic layer.
  • Sell in big cities
  • Buy in small cities (bonus if you can find a small city with a workshop so you can buy cheap tools from them)
  • Build up renown asap; contracts will reward more gold
I don't consider myself very good at the game yet, but on expert/expert I can build up 5k reserves by day 25 even with a mediocre seed. Hunting down brigand raiders and selling their tier 2 weapons makes a lot of money early.

I don't think normie 's argument is that Expert economy is too hard, I think he's saying it's too grindy/padded with no good justification for it. You're doing the same thing on Expert that you would on Normal/Veteran, it just takes 3x longer.

Right now that probably doesn't mean much to you, but once you've gotten 200+ hours (don't laugh... if you get as hooked as we are it'll happen without you even noticing :D) into the game things like that become extraordinarily aggravating. At 1,000+ hours you start turning into Sarissofoi .
Haha, that makes sense... I do have 100 hours now in the last 3 weeks or so, but I'm still enjoying the expert economy challenge and haven't found it too grindy yet. I'm still in the learning phase despite playing so much, though, so I'm not bee-lining optimum builds and farming premiere stat distributions bros.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Right now that probably doesn't mean much to you, but once you've gotten 200+ hours (don't laugh... if you get as hooked as we are it'll happen without you even noticing :D) into the game things like that become extraordinarily aggravating. At 1,000+ hours you start turning into Sarissofoi .
At 2000 you will learn to trade.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Damn, less than 400h here so I still need 1,6k hours until I learn to trade. Ok, i'll do a few hours today.

About retinue. I have a map with 3 workshops total. Two of the three are in one town. Unless i missed one but i don't think so. I only realised that 50 days into the game. The scavenger is a life saver. I had to sack the negotiator who didn't pay for himself at the time. For the latter, he adds 10-20% to a contract's pay. Once you do contracts >1000 gold he might add several hundreds on one. He isn't terrible but not great either, I won't use him in future campaigns. Recruiter is good, the important part are tons of additional recruits in each town. Finally some real choice in that regard. I will have the fourth slot open soon and i'm thinking who to hire. The bounty hunter seems tasty but how good is he in practice?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://battlebrothersgame.com/switch-release-date/

SWITCH RELEASE DATE

Finally, it’s time to reveal the release date for the Nintendo Switch version of Battle Brothers:

Battle Brothers will release on the Switch on March 11th 2021

Pre-orders are available now with 15% off

Available here: Nintendo Store

For a long time now you guys have written to us how you’d love to play Battle Brothers on your Switch and take your campaign on the road. Both the game and the community have grown a lot over the past couple of years, and lots of people have been patiently waiting for the Switch port to complete. Being able to play a hardcore tactical turn-based game with lots of replayability wherever you are? It’s finally possible!

That’s right! Now you are able to lead your own mercenary company through the perils of a gritty, low-power, medieval fantasy world even while traveling. You get to decide where to go, whom to hire or to fight from the comfort of a relaxing couch. And it is your choice what contracts to take and how to train and equip your men in a procedurally generated open world campaign whether you’re commuting or flying ten thousand feet in the air. You get to play with all the content and features of the PC version, and you’ll have access to all the DLC!

To bring Battle Brothers to the Switch in the best way possible, we’ve partnered with Ukiyo Publishing. With over a decade in industry experience, they’ve made sure that it is just as enjoyable an experience on the Switch as it is on the PC. We’re happy to say that they really outdid themselves with creating an intuitive, fast and effective control scheme for the Switch version that just works and is effortless to use.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
We have to kill the dude who designed the AI for this game

He's going to create Skynet in the future, I guarantee it
Yep, as far as AI in computer games goes this one is quite good. Last time i was in shock when an enemy with 2h axe surrounded by 3 bros and one other enemy waited, the other baddie moved away, and only then he used the round attack against all bros at once. Sometimes the AI can position its forces really well. Not always but it's much better than the semi random AI in other games.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Anyone can share his opinion on the hand cannon weapon? Shooting once at the start of battle is nice, especially against unarmored opponents. After that, there is rarely an occasion to attack several enemies at once so what's the point? Maybe i miss something How to make those guns viable? What build one should use it and how to position them?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The AI is nothing revolutionary in terms of concepts used. But it's the game that doesn't try to overreach. It's a tile-based, turn-based game, and that's much easier on the AI than a 3D realtime game would be.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012410/Improving-AI-Decision-Modeling-Through
Maybe an AI for a 3d realtime game is more difficult to program but that's beside the point. BB has better AI than the vast majority of other TURN BASED games. Doesn't mean that it's that great, just competent. Simply put, the majority of games suck when it comes to AI.

Eastwood

Educated
Anyone can share his opinion on the hand cannon weapon? Shooting once at the start of battle is nice, especially against unarmored opponents. After that, there is rarely an occasion to attack several enemies at once so what's the point? Maybe i miss something How to make those guns viable? What build one should use it and how to position them?
I'm currently using a variation of this build for my handgunner: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2253054670
Key points are Fearsome with high resolve for enemy mass routing with the gun(s), throwing weapons as a sidearm and a sling for long range combat (slings don't occupy an ammo slot and use throwing mastery). I think you could also fit Overwhelm into the mix, but I haven't tried that one yet. You can also swap out the handgun for a Crossbow for specific fights.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe an AI for a 3d realtime game is more difficult to program but that's beside the point. BB has better AI than the vast majority of other TURN BASED games. Doesn't mean that it's that great, just competent. Simply put, the majority of games suck when it comes to AI.
They struck the right balance in design deicsions without getting too ambitious and asking things from the AI which it couldn't deliver. Not to diminish its quality of course. It's interesting that story-centric RPGs with set piece battles actually have an AI that perorms worse, like D:OS/2. Without being an AI programmer or anything near that, I guess it has to do with the complexity of pathfinding in the 3d environment and the much more complex rpg system and spells/abilities.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently using a variation of this build for my handgunner: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2253054670
Key points are Fearsome with high resolve for enemy mass routing with the gun(s), throwing weapons as a sidearm and a sling for long range combat (slings don't occupy an ammo slot and use throwing mastery). I think you could also fit Overwhelm into the mix, but I haven't tried that one yet. You can also swap out the handgun for a Crossbow for specific fights.
The sling part is interesting, didn't think of that. My main question is HOW to use handgonne. Firing a volley at enemy when they approach is obvious but what later, you just switch to throwing axes or javelins and forget the guns for the rest of combat?

Tigranes

Arcane
The sling part is interesting, didn't think of that. My main question is HOW to use handgonne. Firing a volley at enemy when they approach is obvious but what later, you just switch to throwing axes or javelins and forget the guns for the rest of combat?

Sometimes you can continue to gun from the back line all the way throughout the fight - this can be useful, say, in Noble War battles where it's their backline polearmers that can devastate you and it's hard to get to them quickly with armoured dudes in front. That said, I've tended to use handgonners a bit like crossbowmen, with quick hands switch to their own polearms as needed.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Fearsome is obviously the way to go, you just stay behind the front line, just like a pikeman.
Obviously, you can't hit 6 targets during the whole fight.
I find it way more useful with a small party, or perhaps it you have a lot of shieldbros.
If you have a legion of 2H bros, on the other hand, they'll have one shot to fire and then, it's over.

About overwhelm, i don't think it works, on turn one, it'll be useless and on turn 2, depending on your party, the fight is over.
Thinking about it, a fast gunner with overwhelm + fearsome could be useful against lindwurms, orcs and noble armies.
Not chosen because if you have enough targets on close combat to make it useful, you're probably fucked.

As for switching weapons, sure, the obvious way is to give him a crossbow for some fights where the gun would be useless and i don't use throwing weapons, never found a good named one so that's probably why.

Sometimes you can continue to gun from the back line all the way throughout the fight - this can be useful, say, in Noble War battles where it's their backline polearmers that can devastate you and it's hard to get to them quickly with armoured dudes in front. That said, I've tended to use handgonners a bit like crossbowmen, with quick hands switch to their own polearms as needed.

Very good archers or crossbowmen annihilate pikemen, this and a very good fencer (front-line and southern position, on turn 2 with lunge, you can hit (OS) one or two already...

Parabalus

Arcane

Fearsome is obviously the way to go, you just stay behind the front line, just like a pikeman.
Obviously, you can't hit 6 targets during the whole fight.
I find it way more useful with a small party, or perhaps it you have a lot of shieldbros.
If you have a legion of 2H bros, on the other hand, they'll have one shot to fire and then, it's over.

About overwhelm, i don't think it works, on turn one, it'll be useless and on turn 2, depending on your party, the fight is over.
Thinking about it, a fast gunner with overwhelm + fearsome could be useful against lindwurms, orcs and noble armies.
Not chosen because if you have enough targets on close combat to make it useful, you're probably fucked.

As for switching weapons, sure, the obvious way is to give him a crossbow for some fights where the gun would be useless and i don't use throwing weapons, never found a good named one so that's probably why.

Very good archers or crossbowmen annihilate pikemen, this and a very good fencer (front-line and southern position, on turn 2 with lunge, you can hit (OS) one or two already...

I used two fast gunner with overwhelm + fearsome, it worked pretty well. Throwing weapons in the bag.

In addition to what Canoli said they were extremely good vs humans and goblins, when firing into a blob he would usually immediately kill at least.
The range is deceptively big, since if you aim downhill the other 5 hexes can go uphill.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fearsome is a must-have, yes, and I also take overwhelm. I would argue that archers/crossbowmen can't always snipe polearmers out fast enough, e.g. in a noble war where you need to take out a dozen of them and they're all packed tight (& your own allies get in the way). But then, apparently our experiences are very different, because I don't understand how you'd always be in a position where the big/difficult battles are 'over' by turn 2.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fearsome is a must-have, yes, and I also take overwhelm. I would argue that archers/crossbowmen can't always snipe polearmers out fast enough, e.g. in a noble war where you need to take out a dozen of them and they're all packed tight (& your own allies get in the way). But then, apparently our experiences are very different, because I don't understand how you'd always be in a position where the big/difficult battles are 'over' by turn 2.

Easy battles go this way and nobles ones too (except it could be turn 3 for tougher ones but some of them will rally and some keep on fighting but it doesn't really matter) once you have your all stars team lvl 11+ and some named weapons.
By over, i mean you hit them so hard they can't recover but i play only high damage bros and by turn two, the morale loss the enemy took is as much crippling as the body count.
Seems like recent patches made the morale loss way slower so it barely works on orcs.

Of course, it's way harder against undead, orc warriors, schrats, lindwurms and the likes...

Tigranes

Arcane
I see. "Once you have your all stars team lvl 11+ and some named weapons" is late game, at which point you're mopping the floor with eveything for fun and only playing for the big set piece finales like the Kraken. What you do is up to you, of course, but I'm usually thinking about the bulk of the game when I talk about tactics, not when I've got my Perfect Team of World Destroyers.

The point being that for large chunks of the game, in quite a few different circumstances, your Handgonner is able to fire several rounds over several turns if you wish - and Fearsome + Overwhelm is very good there.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Way before you get your dream team, when you get 2/3 very good bros, one archer, one 2H and if you're lucky one fencer (you got to find the right man for the job), most fights are won by turn 2 even if they drag for a couple of more turns.

Direwolves, for example, either you crippled them enough or they'll rip you to shreds.
Bandits, Thralls, Reavers, they're canon fodder.
Young orcs and berserkers (archers are very good against berserkers)
Hexens, either you have very good archers and can take them or most of them down fast or it's going to be long and painful.

Still, overwhelm and fearsome are the keys to this, never said otherwise.
Overwhelm works when fearsome doesn't on tough opponents like Unholds, Chosen, Orc Warriors and champions, Schrats, White wolves, Skin ghouls, Orc Warlords.

So, if you pick your targets well and get the tactical advantage; higher ground or good positions; the fight is over before it even begun.
Of course, i'm not talking about the RNG fest before day 50, one just has to suffer through it.

vazha

Arcane
That's why warscythe and the other southern polearm is a must.
Get high initiative & fearsome & overwhelm wildmen in the back ranks
Arm them with warscythes
Reap
???
PROFIT

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ok, i played some of the beginner game and i think i get the "new" Battle Brothers. Didn't encounter the schrats or whatever they are called. I think i'm ready for what i played years ago, veteran/ironman. A few thoughts and questions:
- I tried handgonnes and they begin to grow on me. Do nomads ever use handgonnes? Not the city troops but the random ones you kill. They are very costly early game. Also they appear rarely for sale.
- Archers, as some people have been saying are not as great as they used to be. Fortunately one additional perk and some throwing weapons and they are fixed. They are still nice to snipe something from afar.
- I didn't like the "zero stamina" build idea. I tested one, I guess it's on if you have a recruit with very low stamina and good melee skill but even with low starting stamina you should be able to fix it and go nimble.
- Is bounty hunter (retinue) useless? Doesn't seem to do much.
- I find a swordmaster with max (77) melee attack with two stars. And a drunkard (+10% damage). Unfortunately his other stats sucked even for a swordmaster. Still, made him a nice nimble duelist. With swords (a named one). The question, where to look for a named fencing sword?
That's it for now.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Unfortunately his other stats sucked even for a swordmaster. Still, made him a nice nimble duelist. With swords (a named one). The question, where to look for a named fencing sword?
That's it for now.

If he sucks, he's no fencer material.
Well, once you don't know what to do with your gold, caravan missions toward citadels with weaponsmith can generate some, not many opponents use fencing swords, let alone named ones.

Isn't bounty hunter +3% champions?
Well, you get what you sign for, some mods can increase the number to +8%.

Nomads use guns during holy wars, i've read, never went for a holy war against them, i've seen some canons/mortar though, nice addition.

No idea what you're talking about (low stamina), fatigue is important because the tough battles last long (orc warriors, lindwurms, chosen, tough undead, lots of unholds, ...) and that's when you'll regret having low fatigue bros, it could end abruptly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom