Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox adopts DLC subscription model

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Both should be blamed - but the greater share of the blame falls on Paradox for coming up with this kind of exploitative monetization schemes.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Not surprising this experiment happens soon after Johan (was all-in for paid mods if Paradox gets a cut. This despite him blatantly stealing mechanics from popular mods for years) jumps back on the EU4 train.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
As ridiculous as every subscription, non ownership based payment model is, I bet it will become a smash hit. PDX effectively transferred from niche grand strategy games to meme games, and they embrace it wholeheartedly, just look how they advertise in media like twitter. CK2 allowed some funny shit to happen and it unleashed a crazy wave of normie popularity that made them into a major game developer/distributor, as such, both their forums and reddit, are crawling with hordes of people that came to the game in 2019+ because of some streamer of what not, and while they are unlikely to dish out $200 for CK2 or EU4 DLCs, they sure can spend $10 a month to get them all, especially since they won't be staying around for more than a quarter.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Talking about the complete experience and DLC, how complete is the current EU4 Humble Bundle?

Dakka

Savant
I've been playing Paradox games for a rather long time. I have every EU4 DLC, partly so I can try MEIOU & Taxes again eventually. I have what they call the "full experience". I'm not sure exactly why, but I don't enjoy the game as much as I did years ago. Hopefully that is not just a sign of my depression getting worse.

All the corporate greed and poor decisions have left a bitter taste in my mouth though, and that probably has a lot to do with it. I never could look at Paradox the same way again when I read some stories of former employees. Whenever I boot up the game now, I can't help but think about the ruthlessly exploitative company behind it, and about how they charge us these exorbitant prices for basic features but somehow still cannot afford to give their developers a decent wage. It's downright disgusting. There must be a special place in hell for people like them.

I honestly don't care about their games anymore. I can take them or leave them at this point. What I do care about is the potential for this to set a dastardly precedent. The deal here doesn't sound so bad all things considered, but if this experiment is successful, we may start seeing a subscription model coming to other gaming companies as well. That's when the race to the bottom could really start. Everyone would be testing us consumers on just how much penny pinching we are willing to tolerate.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

And you thought it would be something like 5 bucks per month for all DLCs for PDS games?

That only gives you CK2 DLCs!

Crusader Kings II is now available via subscription, giving users a convenient way to enjoy all of the medieval plotting and politicking that has made Crusader Kings a beloved game for strategists and role players alike. Subscribers will have automatic access to every piece of Crusader Kings II content with no other purchases necessary.

• 13 major expansions, including the fierce Norse of The Old Gods, the eastern riches of Rajas of India and the scheming vassals of Conclave.
  • 12 unit packs, including new army sprites for your medieval forces
  • 14 music packs, including two heavy metal scores
  • 10 portrait packs of clothing and faces for rulers around the world
  • The Game Converter which lets you export your saved game to Europa Universalis IV.
  • The Crusader Kings II Ruler Designer, so you can create your own starting monarch.
  • and many more improvements to the core game experience.
The Crusader Kings II base game is currently available for free on the Steam store.

I'm waiting for how much they will charge for CK3 subscription.

Comte

:necro:

And you thought it would be something like 5 bucks per month for all DLCs for PDS games?

That only gives you CK2 DLCs!

Crusader Kings II is now available via subscription, giving users a convenient way to enjoy all of the medieval plotting and politicking that has made Crusader Kings a beloved game for strategists and role players alike. Subscribers will have automatic access to every piece of Crusader Kings II content with no other purchases necessary.

• 13 major expansions, including the fierce Norse of The Old Gods, the eastern riches of Rajas of India and the scheming vassals of Conclave.
  • 12 unit packs, including new army sprites for your medieval forces
  • 14 music packs, including two heavy metal scores
  • 10 portrait packs of clothing and faces for rulers around the world
  • The Game Converter which lets you export your saved game to Europa Universalis IV.
  • The Crusader Kings II Ruler Designer, so you can create your own starting monarch.
  • and many more improvements to the core game experience.
The Crusader Kings II base game is currently available for free on the Steam store.

I'm waiting for how much they will charge for CK3 subscription.

Is this a monthly payment?

Bara

Arcane
I'm going to be sad when they do this to Age of Wonders 4 whenever that comes out. Ah well.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
And to buy the entire package... EU IV is currently on sale. It costs 116 bucks to buy the complete bundle.
The full price when not on sale is 270 bucks.

All but one actual gameplay expansions and few cosmetics for $17 ( the only missing expansion is about playing independent colonies, or natives and has negative rating on Steam ):
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...wos_tile_index_2_c_europauniversalisiv_bundle

Is EU IV actually any good ? I'm waiting for HoI4 bundle.

nibba just buy the base game and crack all the DLCs like everyone does lmao
How do you do this on Steam btw?

Vatnik Wumao
And to buy the entire package... EU IV is currently on sale. It costs 116 bucks to buy the complete bundle.

All but one actual gameplay expansions and few cosmetics for $17 ( the only missing expansion is about playing independent colonies, or natives and has negative rating on Steam ):
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...wos_tile_index_2_c_europauniversalisiv_bundle

You go to cs.rin.ru and search for that particular game's thread.

racofer

Thread Incliner

You go to cs.rin.ru and search for that particular game's thread.
The only answer.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, this is the first time I've ever seen "0" rating for an announcement on Steam, likely means it's actually a negative number by massive downvotes. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/203770/view/3039337519715150156

8sfrjKC.png

flyingjohn

Arcane
This is actually smart and will be seen as the new industry standard for all strategy games. Firaxis and creative assembly are already probably making one of these.
Dlc are cute,but a constant stream of monthly income will satisfy any shareholders more then we sold a bunch of dlc.
And you can always include bonus stuff for subscribers in the vein of early access for next dlc or something like that to make it "worthwile".

for as retarded and criminally predatory this practice is, how long are you going to keep playing a single game? i can see people subscribing once in a while to check how the game has changed without the need to spend hundreds of dollars for each and every expansion. if only people had common sense.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Paradox customers are the simps of the gaming world now. Of course they will pay for this and they will tell you how great the new Paradox OnlyFans subscription service is.

Keyboard Vomit

Paradox customers are the simps of the gaming world now. Of course they will pay for this and they will tell you how great the new Paradox OnlyFans subscription service is.
GSG findom is hot!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With the sequel out, you would think, like olden golden times, they just released CK2 for like 5-10 bucks with all the dlcs, but nooooooooo.

Going public and selling out to Tencent really screwed up Paradox. Not helped by the former gambling company CEO.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it's an experiment and because the mass of DLC for CK2 makes it extremely confusing. CK3 is already available in Game Pass. Who will pay $5/mo for just Ck2 if you can pay $10/mo for Game Pass.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The slope is eternally slippery. Anyone paying for any of these retarded subscription needs to be put down. Game Pass and other garbage are not good deals for you. If they were, they wouldn't exist.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The slope is eternally slippery. Anyone paying for any of these retarded subscription needs to be put down. Game Pass and other garbage are not good deals for you. If they were, they wouldn't exist.

Anyone paying for PDX games needs to be put down. Don't finance people who hate you.

Ravielsk

Magister
The same people that populate their forum. You don't seem to understand how rabid their userbase is about defending them.

Oh, boy PDX forums are a ride but not in a good way. I have mostly experience with Stellaris side of things and let me tell you the stupid there is galaxy sized. At one point right after Stellaris 2.2 the game started insanely lagging. Mainly because PDX multiplied the number of needed pops by a factor a 100 but changed precisely nothing about how they are processed, in fact they added modifiers that were being checked every ingame day despite the fact that the game updates stats only monthly. The issue was reported widely by everyone from i3 to i7 users and what did the forums say?
Lol, not muh problem yo PC just suck. Is not problem for me poor boy. Just play on the smallest galaxy and only for 50 years, easy peasy.
This lasted for almost two years when some youtuber called out Paradox and suddenly PDX bothered to make official statements about being dedicated to fixing the issue that they valiantly ignored for over a year. Right after that official announcement the forums fell mysteriously silent as suddenly the performance was not just a problem for some minority of "hynix troll CPUs". Still not really resolved as the actual fix: reducing the number of pops or reducing the number continuously processed modifiers for each individual pop, have still not been implemented and never will as that would require PDX to admit 2.2 overhauls were a mistake.
Sometimes they would even openly admit that the game has straight up non-functional features, such as pops changing ethics or war exhaustion but then will quickly go into denial over it.

So what I am saying is that PDX slaves will gobble up this subscription model up and sing its praises to high heavens regardless of how bad or good it will turn out to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom