Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

spectre

Arcane
Ok, so I tried this fly for free thingie. Heard the game got much better now.

> I start by quickly throwing together some kind of face. A bit weird, can't seem to find the option to add facial hair, but I didn't come here to play dressup.
> So we begin with the character lying on the bed. How do I get up?
> I get some helpful tutorial messages: "To draw your sidearm press..."
> How the fuck do I get up?
> Ok, figured it out on my own.
> Or didn't, the guy glitched back(?) and is still on the bed.
> Yeah, it do be like that some mornings.
> Finally gotten up, I'm in some crib. Let's get out.
> The interaction interface is - you first need to focus with F, then click with mouse to use things.
> Holy shit, this is unwieldy.
> I walk around some corridors, not a lot to do, all doors are closed.
> Found an elevator, going down (did I mention whoever designed the interaction menu should be clubbed?)
> Found an NPC, the dialogue options are displayed as holographic text, using the same interaction interface.
> I click on an option, the animation script takes its sweet time, after 2 seconds delay the NPC blurts out some one-liner.
> I try solving the mysterious case of where the fuck are the ships. For flying. In space. The ones I can use.
> I keep getting microstutters everywhere.
> I ask myself, why am I doing this to myself?

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
You can press Y to get out of bed/seats too. It's in the controls menu ;)

> I try solving the mysterious case of where the fuck are the ships. For flying. In space. The ones I can use.
Well they're not in the hotel bro, you have to take the subway to the spaceport

Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, so I tried this fly for free thingie. Heard the game got much better now.

> I start by quickly throwing together some kind of face. A bit weird, can't see, to find the option to add facial hair, but I didn't come here to play dressup.
> So we begin with the character lying on the bed. How do I get up?
> I get some helpful tutorial messages: "To draw your sidearm press..."
> How the fuck do I get up?
> Ok, figured it out on my own.
> Or didn't, the guy glitched back(?) and is still on the bed.
> Yeah, it do be like that some mornings.
> Finally gotten up, I'm in some crib. Let's get out.
> The interaction interface is - you first need to focus with F, then click with mouse to use things.
> Holy shit, this is unwieldy.
> I walk around some corridors, not a lot to do, all doors are closed.
> Found an elevator, going down (did I mention whoever designed the interaction menu should be clubbed?)
> Found an NPC, the dialogue options are displayed as holographic text, using the same interaction interface.
> I click on an option, the animation script takes its sweet time, after 2 seconds delay the NPC blurts out some one-liner.
> I keep getting microstutters everywhere.
> I ask myself, why am I doing this to myself?
Whoever designed this has never played a videogame in their life before.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why does the game have a dedicated "get out of bed" button?
https://scfocus.org/alpha-3-12-key-bindings-controls/

A cursory look shows a lot of really archaic design in controls. Like the stupid double tap shit instead of holding a direction key + pressing a move action key to get your prone roll or dodge.

I also like how that "get out of seat/bed/shit" key is now a HOLD key and not just a single press in an update.

Myobi

Liturgist
Because getting in and out of spaceship cockpits is a common thing you do in the game, so it's convenient to have a button for it.
Are you mentally handicapped?

To be fair, asking that to a SC backer is sort of fucking stupid too =/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Because getting in and out of spaceship cockpits is a common thing you do in the game, so it's convenient to have a button for it.
Are you mentally handicapped?

To be fair, asking that to a SC backer is sort of fucking stupid too =/
I meant it seriously,not as a joke. Being a backer is not a bad thing perse,there is plenty of kickstarters. Now getting schemed out of thousands and getting lied that the game will come out the next month.....for more than eight years.....while still being hyped for the game,well there is a good chance of being retard.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wouldn't even care about the controls if there was an intuitive way to reach a game manual from the esc menu. I have no issue with being expected to read through a manual, but they don't even provide any information. As part of my semi-review, I didn't want to rely on external sources on how to play the game so I spent time trying to figure it out myself.

Absolute mess.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I wouldn't even care about the controls if there was an intuitive way to reach a game manual from the esc menu. I have no issue with being expected to read through a manual, but they don't even provide any information. As part of my semi-review, I didn't want to rely on external sources on how to play the game so I spent time trying to figure it out myself.

Absolute mess.
All the controls are listed in the esc menu and are rebindable

Perkel

Arcane

Absolute mess.

There is no tutorial ingame because it would be pointless to make one when game is still in dev. And it is not like game is hard to understand, it just requires time to figure things out.

Basics:
- Game requires at minimum 16GB of ram and SSD. If you don't have that you will have miserable experience. Frankly to remove most of stutters you have to have 32GB as game actually uses around 22GB at the moment.
- you start in city on a planet in hab zone. You have to take transport to spaceport.
- there near elevators to hangars there are screens there where you can spawn your ship
- F1 is mobiglass which has a lot of important screens like starmap, party screne vitals, money transfer ship equipment, your loadout etc.
- when you are in ship with F interaction menu look for "Flight ready" It will make your ship ready to fly off
- before you take off call Air Traffic Control by using F1 mobiglass menu going into chat and then "friends" where there should be local ATF. You have to also call it when you want to land somewhere.
- before you take off you should buy some water and wrapped food and and store them in your personal inventory by using F and "stow" when you look at item in your hand. You have to take off helmet to drink/eat and remember to put it back on or you will suffocate on launch pad (it happened to me few times)
- Once you are in space go to mobiglass pick missions and see which mission you like and off you go.
- If you press F and then right click you will get Quick personal menu which gives you access to stuff like personal inventory or taking off helmet.

Some general tips:
- if you like to try to fight with NPCs, you should just fire up StarCommander from main menu. This is basically arena combat. There is also StarMarine which is essentially something like CallofDuty map with people fighting each other on foot.
- Each station is unique despite having common point. Meaning that for example you can buy ballistic guns for your ship on HUR L2 but you won't be able to buy that on HUR L1, same with ships and other.
- You can rent most of the ships in game for rather cheap. For example if you have starting ship you can easily make 40k by doing 5-6 missions and rent Prospector which is mining ship and do some mining.
- You can buy ships usually in cities on planets not on space stations. Each planet has different ship selection.
- Not all spacesuits provide you with EVA trusters. So if go out of your ship in combat armor it means you will be drifting in space and you will have to comming suecide (hold backspace). Usually those are branded "flight" suits. So if your mission is about finding some black box in space wreckage you need to see if you have such suit equiped. By default you start in one

their CDNs are shit, only getting 15-16mb/s download
:argh:

I get 115Mb/s every time whic his max for my 1Gbit/s

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- you start in city on a planet in hab zone. You have to take transport to spaceport.
SC players are a strange bunch. EVE folks complained when you spawned in captain's quarters and had to press 1 button and wait ~1s to load hangar before you could launch. This will get old super quick for anyone who just wants to fly. How long does it take to travel from hab to spaceport? What is there (or will be in the future TM) to do at hab to make people ever go there?

- before you take off call Air Traffic Control by using F1 mobiglass menu going into chat and then "friends" where there should be local ATF. You have to also call it when you want to land somewhere.
That's so very nice and intuitive, of course I'm friends with Air Traffic Control!

- before you take off you should buy some water and wrapped food and and store them in your personal inventory by using F and "stow" when you look at item in your hand. You have to take off helmet to drink/eat and remember to put it back on or you will suffocate on launch pad (it happened to me few times)
You mean the super cool sci-fi helmets of SC don't include a way to hydrate? A straw to a water pouch too hard to implement? And while forgetting your helmet is silly, how is it possible? You don't die in the airlock? No alert from your ship/landing pad? Sounds like nobody though about even basic industrial saftey stuff we have here and now.

you will have to comming suecide (hold backspace).
It's great there's a dedicated button for this functionality, must be used quite frequently.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
SC players are a strange bunch. EVE folks complained wAhen you spawned in captain's quarters and had to press 1 button and wait ~1s to load hangar before you could launch. This will get old super quick for anyone who just wants to fly. How long does it take to travel from hab to spaceport? What is there (or will be in the future TM) to do at hab to make people ever go there?

Hubs are logical spawning points where you players spawn in an MMO like SC. Right now they are used to spawn anytime you spawn so whatever you died in space or just login you spawn there. Unless you have ship with bed so then you can logoff from game in bed on that ship and get back to game on that ship. They also great as spawn points for groups of characters you play with, instead of looking each other all over the place you just spawn in same hotel and go somewhere together.

Eve online character stuff was just fluff to sell micro that didn't have anything to do with gameplay. If you cut it out nothing in EVe changes.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All the Walking In Stations stuff was cut out of EVE already, and hardly anyone cared :D. There's still avatars with clothes, but nobody pays much attention. I think CCP has learned the lesson that in a game about spaceships people want to fly those ships and not be bogged down with innanity of taking a train from their bed to their hangar.

In the final game, will you be able to magically spawn at hubs as well? If yes, then what's the point of elevators, trains, AI taxis, etc.? Will you be able to just spawn your ship at any hangar?

(I realize the sillyness of saying "final game", thank you very much)

Perkel

Arcane
In the final game, will you be able to magically spawn at hubs as well? If yes, then what's the point of elevators, trains, AI taxis, etc.? Will you be able to just spawn your ship at any hangar?

Think about SC like about MMORPG. Why players in mmorpg need ? At least in case of SC you can't shot down house in city while your ship with bed can be shot down or stolen.

As for rest. Because there are things to do in city other than being spawn point. Each location has its unique quest givers, shops, shipdealers, trading hubs, bars, clothes stores and that stuff gets expanded over time.

Perkel

Arcane
When SC works without issues like low population server you get pretty nice gameplay out of it now. It is just those moments are rare but you can see under that crap that there is something cool there. Whenever it will be finished or project will get abandoned we don't know but sure as hell they aim high.

Dude gets pulled out of quantum by npcs which ambused him.

Fishy

Savant
I sure as hell hope you only accidentally put the two parts of your post together. Because if "NPC ambush" is supposed to demonstrate "aiming high"...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom