Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You guys whine way too much. This looks great outside of a few missteps with the character models.

Vicarious Games have done great work remastering other stuff so I'm cautiously optimistic.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Ho9iSwZ.jpg

That has to be the most creative way of saying "for retards" I've seen so far.

Cruel Beans

Arbiter
Diablo 3 is World of Warcraft with a slightly darker palette but still overly bright and cartoonish. The character models haven't aged that well either. At the very least the devs seem to be trying their best here to recreate the spirit of the Diablo franchise and not totally change it for a wider audience the way the Diablo 3 devs did.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wonder if they will fix the Faster Cast Rate caps.

Game will be exactly the same aside from small QOL features down to bugs themselves. If there was bug in D2 it will be in D2R. Game literally runs D2 in background and what you see is just layer on top of that that you can turn off with a button in real time.
The feature was tied to the sprite animations so it could change with the usage of 3D models. We'll just have to see how faithful of an adaptation it is but moving from 2D sprites to 3D models is already a big game changer to how the game will be played.

Naraya

Arcane
OG Diablo 2 looks fantastic with a bit of modding. It supports widescreen and has a nice scaler. I'm not even going to pirate this shit. Safe to assume it's not going to have any mod support and will require always online so they can kiss my ass.

Perkel

Arcane
but moving from 2D sprites to 3D models is already a big game changer to how the game will be played.

Game literally uses D2 engine WITH 2D graphics. What you click on etc in 3D graphics is then translated to 2D game running in background that you can "show" by pressing a button. If you have ever played dwarf fortress with armok vission plugin this is basically what it does.

They also commented on 2D upscaling. From their initial research it would take around 160GB to upscale everything properly to 4k.

If you want to do proper remaster imho this is the best way to do it. Don't fuck with original gameplay rework graphics.

OG Diablo 2 looks fantastic with a bit of modding. It supports widescreen and has a nice scaler. I'm not even going to pirate this shit. Safe to assume it's not going to have any mod support and will require always online so they can kiss my ass.

Except for 24frames framerate taht doesn't work with 60hz screens well, pixelated art that was never intended to look as pixelated as now, lack of graphical effects and stutter present all the time regardless of what you can do.

Also D2R WILL have modding support as well as LAN support. Some smaller mods might work out of the box but big ones will need rework. Game does require online check at start to play though, after which you can play offline.

Robber Baron

Savant
The unloved and unnatural show their ugly faces once again.
Were it not for Diablo 2 I wouldn't even bother commenting. But it is Diablo 2.
Reject their subversion of natural beauty, reject the normalisation of decadence and spit in their faces. For they fear and hate natural beauty as a reminder of their own moral and physical degeneration.

Perkel

Arcane
I guess Blizzard thinks black people are more important than Indians.

lol. Paladin being black is like biggest copium thread ever.

- Blizzard North stated back in the day he is black.
- All official concept art and artwork present him as black
- He is in game black, the lighter shade in character screen is due to fire casting light on face, his actual sprite in game is black.
- 3D art back then really hated ebony black skin colors because stuff like surface scattering and skin shaders didn't exist so ebony black looked completely out of place. This is why 3D art makes him a bit paler as well while in concept art he is ebony black. This is why all black character in old games look more like bronze/shit color. Also it is the same reason why pale characters were rare because they had the same issue, looking out of place in game.

If you want to complain about joggers there is plenty of that with Tyrael in D3. Somehow D3 made archangel which was NOT human at all into full on jogger. D3 is trashfire story wise and this was just one of many things fucked d3.

The feature was tied to the sprite animations so it could change with the usage of 3D models. We'll just have to see how faithful of an adaptation it is but moving from 2D sprites to 3D models is already a big game changer to how the game will be played.

They are STILL using sprites for all gameplay. What you click in 3D is actually click in 2D game where gameplay happens spits out outcome and 3D engine displays it. Which means gameplay wise it is still using sprite based animation but it is presented to you as fluid 3D animation.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

(I don't believe) People are saying that the Paladins skin colour wasn't dark, they're saying that the character wasn't Sub-Saharan black, which neither the character model or the official arts shows.

I know this might come as a shock to racist and anti-racists around the world but SSAs isn't the only group with dark skin.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, this thread is being ruined by petty racist fucks. Again. I suppose they just don't like playing games anymore...

Is it really racist to be amused by the fact they turned the Paladin from a more interesting ethnicity into a stereotypical black American?

Woke arguments aside, it's a much less interesting design.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Already looks much better then Warcraft 3 Reforged as it is faithful to the original art style. Diablo II is a pain in the ass to run on modern machines, so I'd welcome a good remaster. 40 bucks is an insane price, though.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I guess Blizzard thinks black people are more important than Indians.

lol. Paladin being black is like biggest copium thread ever.

- Blizzard North stated back in the day he is black.
- He is in game black, the lighter shade in character screen is due to fire casting light on face, his actual sprite in game is black.
- 3D art back then really hated ebony black skin colors because stuff like surface scattering and skin shaders didn't exist so ebony black looked completely out of place. This is why 3D art makes him a bit paler as well while in concept art he is ebony black. This is why all black character in old games look more like bronze/shit color. Also it is the same reason why pale characters were rare because they had the same issue, looking out of place in game.

If you want to complain about joggers there is plenty of that with Tyrael in D3. Somehow D3 made archangel which was NOT human at all into full on jogger. D3 is trashfire story wise and this was just one of many things fucked d3.

They are STILL using sprites for all gameplay. What you click in 3D is actually click in 2D game where gameplay happens spits out outcome and 3D engine displays it. Which means gameplay wise it is still using sprite based animation but it is presented to you as fluid 3D animation.
Yes! And amazon was not ugly tranny because 3d back then couldn't make ugly trannies!

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
the amazon unironically looks like a tranny and my favourite character, the sorceress, stopped being cute.
into the trash it goes.

Sykar

Arcane
No joke even though I'm playing Elex right now, just yesterday I installed Diablo 2 and LOD with my original CD keys by download from the Blizzard Website.

Then I come and see that this has happened.

Also checked the Resurrected Blizzard forums and found this
bULf2ag.jpg
The hero we deserve. I'd love to go in there and agree with him, but I'm worried Blizzard is going to ban me or something. It's not the RPG codex.

Sadly you have retards like this there, too:
"so…you’re basically saying you acknowledge not everyone is going to be good looking, but you want all of your characters to be either barbie or ken… cool story."
:deathclaw::killit::imperialscum:

flushfire

Augur
This is a Beamdog tier remaster.
You gotta be fucking kidding me. If Beamdog actually did what's supposedly being done here - create completely new graphics keeping the same art direction, add QoL features while leaving the gameplay untouched, they would be codex darlings. I'd buy... no, I'll fucking preorder all of their remasters if that was the case.

I wish more devs did what is being done to D2 (if true). Imagine all of the classics with completely unchanged gameplay & writing, just with UI and graphics adapted for modern systems. Pure incline.

Perkel

Arcane
(I don't believe) People are saying that the Paladins skin colour wasn't dark, they're saying that the character wasn't Sub-Saharan black, which neither the character model or the official arts shows.

I know this might come as a shock to racist and anti-racists around the world but SSAs isn't the only group with dark skin.

That is just nitpicking at this point. Like i said back then there were no ebony black 3D characters because it always looked wrong which is why they got "brown". In 2D concept art he is ebony black and his actual in game sprite is as well. It is only 3D art where he brownish.

Either way that is just nickpicking at this point. Original argument was that he was either tanned white or muslim which obviously is not true.

Yes! And amazon was not ugly tranny because 3d back then couldn't make ugly trannies!

It is gothic horror game not your shitty animu weebo game. She looks pretty much like amazon would look like. If you look at 3D concept art her face is pretty much the same just made with more definition which made her face look more muscular. Tits got makeover, instead of two lumps of clay she got actual breasts i guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom