Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sell me a First-Person Shooter.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, that's right! Zombra, the guy who causes screams of incredulous outrage up and down the Codex for suggesting that not all games must feature a rocket launcher in the final act, is looking for a good single-player FPS.

I've been playing a lot of Insurgency: Sandstorm with my homies lately, and it's left me with a craving for more of that kind of gameplay, only without having to schedule a meetup with half a dozen friends.

My ideal shooter will be often stressful but rarely frantic, with a confident, measured pace, plenty of quiet moments, and excellent audio/visual feedback from the combat, like solid booms from the guns and the satisfying ping of an ejected clip. You know what I'm talking about.

Annnnnnnnnd .... shill!

Edit: additional notes: In general, I don't have the patience to explore and work with mods. If the game isn't good vanilla it will have a significantly reduced chance I will want to play it.

Also I am not especially looking for an "old school" shooter experience, games do not get bonus points for being old. Between a good new game and a good old game, I would probably rather try something newer first.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood you won't regret playing it. Great game with some really cool fucking gun play. I also like the suppressing fire and small unit tactics. Anyways, great game that you should definitely play. I've not played any of the other games in the series, though.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Swat 4 as well, but I wouldn't call it an FPS that has that nice eject thing you're talking about. It isn't at all about the gunplay, but there are lulls in certain missions and really difficult ramped-up parts. I only wish there were more lull levels with nice storylines like the Fairfax Residence.

I honestly enjoyed the original Turok remaster a lot more than I thought I would. Marathoned it basically. They reworked it so the keys are easier to find, it's a lot of fun with mouselook and Turok moves with Doomguy levels of speed if you move forward while strafing. Some of the most satisfying guns I've used in shooters, as well. Really like the Tek Bow and the plasma rifle.

I'm hardly an expert on shooters tho. But it is a good time if you're looking for something a bit arcadey.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
My ideal shooter will be often stressful but rarely frantic, with a confident, measured pace, plenty of quiet moments, and excellent audio/visual feedback from the combat, like solid booms from the guns and the satisfying ping of an ejected clip. You know what I'm talking about.
For something that isn't fucking archaic that most everyone's already played at least once, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Western Arcade Shootin' with a meaty campaign. Featurin' measured yet deadly gunplay rewardin' deliberation, a great procession of environments, stunnin' renditions of the wild countryside and one of the best depictions of a cowboy arsenal games have ever managed to produce. All wrapped up in one of the better narratives to come from this generation of modern shooters.

Personal tip, going to the effort of removing the comic borders is worth it.

Well that's easy. The Metro games has everything you want. Stressful but rarely frantic (Play on higher difficulties if not the no-UI ones so guns are deadly for both you and the enemies), confident measured pace with plenty of quiet moments (2033 and Last Light, ignore Exodus), and excellent audio/visual feedback from the combat (Metro weapons are really satisfying to use and have lots of nice little details and animations).

Job done.:dance:
Only reason they might not be a good option is because they heavily favor stealth. You can play 'em more run and gun especially if you knock the difficulty down some, but they do lean more toward popping people in the head with silenced guns than using the cool shotgun.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't play many FPS or related games and I don't play them very often, but when I do, the ones I enjoy most are looter shooters. So something like Borderlands (any of them, they're all basically the same), or whatever.

Otherwise the Halo collection is older games, but has quite a few single player campaigns for a decent price.
Also old with a relatively short campaign, but Titanfall 2 is probably one of the games I enjoyed the most out of FPS games. I'd probably recommend this most highly after looter shooters if those don't interest you.

I have no idea whether these will meet your fairly specific and idiosyncratic criteria, but they're all games I enjoyed enough to find memorable out of a genre that I almost invariably hate. So I figure that's something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom