Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.5%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Better dungeons in M&M IX than M&M VI? Cmon, you must be blind or something. M&M VI has third best dungeons design overall in 3D RPGs after Wizards&Warriors and Dungeons Lords.

More people should play this game. Such an underrated gem.
If you can play it on a modern system without pilot license.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Dark Messiah is a totally different game. I bought it during the most recent Steam sale so I should soon have an opinion on where it hits or misses the mark(s).
It's a masterpiece.

It's good for completely different reasons than standard M&M games. The strongest point of classic M&M which is exploration is non existent in Dark Messiah. So preferring one or the other has more to do with what games people enjoy more, rather than which is better.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think I'm going to give up on VII (level 8). Reading guides to make it less tedious isn't appealing, and further exploration seems even less appealing.

I'll give VI a try. If it doesn't click then whatever. I have other things to do.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I think I'm going to give up on VII (level 8). Reading guides to make it less tedious isn't appealing, and further exploration seems even less appealing.

I'll give VI a try. If it doesn't click then whatever. I have other things to do.
I love both but I doubt you'll like VI if you think VII is slow.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I love both but I doubt you'll like VI if you think VII is slow.
I don't think it's slow. It's cumbersome. And I think I can see now what the systems have to offer, which makes the tediousness of going around towns even less rewarding.

The dungeons are the fun part. If 6 has more of those, AND if it has less busy work and needless limitations when it comes to skills, then I think it might be fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am replaying the 7th now,and fuck it is painful how useless relics are. Artefacts are a lot better than relics. There are a few decent ones like the crossbow and the belt,but the rest are total useless garbage. Half of them are locked behind good/evil,decent amount have some retarded effect like fireball on impact that hurts your party or HP draining on a staff. I have found 10 times better staff in a random chest lol.

jackofshadows

Magister
HP draining on a staff
Still bis.

At least situation is better than it was in mm6 where pretty much all of it was useless garbage.

Anyway, I was obssesed with artifacts and relics before more for the looks than usefullness even but I don't care much anymore. Just picking up something after clearing titan stronghold and land of giants later and either get lucky or don't, whatever.

Fishy

Savant
Can't believe we've talked about MM7 for a few pages without mentioning Arcomage too. As far as timewasting minigames go, this was a magnificent effort, although some form of deck construction would have been welcome. I can still hear the sound effects.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
HP draining on a staff
Still bis.

At least situation is better than it was in mm6 where pretty much all of it was useless garbage.

Anyway, I was obssesed with artifacts and relics before more for the looks than usefullness even but I don't care much anymore. Just picking up something after clearing titan stronghold and land of giants later and either get lucky or don't, whatever.
Ahh not really,the MM6 artefacts were better than the basic weapons/armour. At least its relics weren't crippling lol,even with their negatives you could see practical use for them. MM8 have the best artefacts for sure,it was great fun hunting for them. Even if it made the game pretty easy,it should have been twice as big to compensate for the getting op.

It is shame that you can't roll a Dragon as starting character,it would have been fun solo game.

Can't believe we've talked about MM7 for a few pages without mentioning Arcomage too. As far as timewasting minigames go, this was a magnificent effort, although some form of deck construction would have been welcome. I can still hear the sound effects.
It is pretty good idea and fun to play once in a while. But it was far too cheap and the AI was cheating. Getting your hand filled with useless garbage and just watching getting fucked by the AI was supper annoying. Also the reward was shit,race locked artefacts are the worst! Another bad thing was that the attacking cards were far too weak,it was nearly impossible to win by killing your enemy.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It is pretty good idea and fun to play once in a while. But it was far too cheap and the AI was cheating. Getting your hand filled with useless garbage and just watching getting fucked by the AI was supper annoying. Also the reward was shit,race locked artefacts are the worst! Another bad thing was that the attacking cards were far too weak,it was nearly impossible to win by killing your enemy.

This is fake news.
I've been replaying it recently and i only lost once in 20 games, after getting the quest reward, i still play a game once in a while.

The game isn't rigged, sometimes, you can't win because your opponent has all the good cards but most of the time, it's the other way around.

You can't always win by destroying your opponent but it happens often when you start with a small wall and tower, you just have to focus on building up resources and damaging your opponent while keeping a tower and wall high enough not to lose, well, sometimes you don't get attack cards, it happens, it's not a deterministic game.

Just fired my merge playthrough, played one game and destroyed the AI in a dozen turns and then i quit because i don't remember how to jump to the other worlds, i thought i had to cast town portal from inside a stonehenge but it didn't work from the one i picked and the only clue i have in my logbook is to get to Avlar, which is in MM8 ...

:deathclaw:

Shame, i wanted to wander in VIII and come back later to finish the demons in VII.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
It is shame that you can't roll a Dragon as starting character,it would have been fun solo game.
you can, there is a mod that allows you to start with full party creation with each member being of any race. It can be interesting you know, not having access to most item slots and most importantly: vampiric weapons

Testownia

Is Might and Magic, both RPGs and the strategy ones, the only widely popular and successful, both financially and critically, franchise that ISN'T milked dry? Is Ubisoft retarded?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Is Might and Magic, both RPGs and the strategy ones, the only widely popular and successful, both financially and critically, franchise that ISN'T milked dry? Is Ubisoft retarded?
I think they did like three HoM&M games, two of which are Might and Magic Heroes, for some reason, in addition to at least two crappy mobile games. Its not that they aren't trying, its just everything they do with it seems to be a dud in both respects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom