Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite setting for an rpg?

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Or you could set up each area as independent lil vignettes with only a few triggers for distinct possibilities in the future. After all making some sort of action in mayan civilization won't effect some mission in medieval japan. would it?

PS- Saint, have you seen an episode of Time Squad?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Killzig said:
Or you could set up each area as independent lil vignettes with only a few triggers for distinct possibilities in the future. After all making some sort of action in mayan civilization won't effect some mission in medieval japan. would it?

Daikatana: The CRPG?

PS- Saint, have you seen an episode of Time Squad?

Nope

Megatron

Liturgist
Time travel would be intresting in a game though. Mabye you could be chased by some terrorists, except their guns jam. So you drive off in a car that manages to go back in time to when you're parents were at school and you interupt how you're parents met so you have to get them to kiss at the prom!

It could be called something like 'Spaceman from Pluto' because you dress up in this radiation suit and some farmer thinks you're an alien :giggle:

Rebltedybehr

Novice
Home of the Underdogs

I think if you look around carefully, a lot of the time HOTUf will have manuals or docs for particular games... either that, or ask if someone has the manual on here, and let them copy it for you.. or at least give you keyboard commands or other essentials.

Rebltedybehr

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
There was one space faring CRPG I had back in the late 1980s for the Amiga which was really well done, but I can't remember it's name. It was interesting because you had a crew with statistics on how well they did with the starship, but you could also board other starships and fight it out on their ship as well.

About the only thing I didn't like was that the game was a straight PC port to the Amiga, complete with CGA graphics.
I think the game you are referring to was called " Starflight" by Electronic Arts, very late 80's game, IIRC.. GREAT game, I still own it, and it's sequel.

Calis

Pensionado
Rebltedybehr, I deleted your nothing-new quote posts and fixed the quote in your other post... next time if you botch up the quoting, delete your own posts or edit them. The board allows you to do that, y'know.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rebltedybehr said:
I think the game you are referring to was called " Starflight" by Electronic Arts, very late 80's game, IIRC.. GREAT game, I still own it, and it's sequel.

I went looking for that game recently on Underdogs, but I didn't see anything that looked remotely like the game I had. Did they update Starflight's graphics for EGA/VGA at some point?

Orlon

Novice
well as far as a time traveling RPG there was chrono trigger.for the SNES. I really liked that game. not much RPG to it but they did handle the change in time thing pretty well. You had to go back and forth in time to affect things and they would sho wup in the future. It even had a mistaken idnetity of a future relative.

As far a settings i think that space could be done really well and even use the 3rdEd rules, adapted of course. I mean you can still have plus weapons and what not. You could discover new tech from diff races. I figure for it to be open-ended youd need to begin the game as a space pirate sort, or a new graduate from an academy. You could randomaly encounter a battle of a situation and choose which side to help or remain neutral. The main quest could be a sorta like a dispute over a new world that had some really cool tech and you could join either side or play both sides and attempt to get the tech for your self. Then you caould have good vs. evil and/or me vs. everybody. Just a thought and probably not a good one at that

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
Cyberpunk would be the best setting ever. With the feel of Neuromancer and Snow Crash. The SPECIAL system could be used for this, and I wouldn't want to play it without a character system like that. Nearly every skill could be left the same, but something more in depth for hacking than a science skill would be needed I think. You could be a ninja assassin, a big beefy brawler, a sneaky hacker, a sniping hacker... I get a hard on every time I think about it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The main problem I have with cyberpunk is it rarely has the "kick ass" factor I tend to enjoy in CRPGs. In most of them that allow it, I play a silver tongued character who can kick heaps of ass if speech fails to work. I tend to ignore the stealthy approaches that cyberpunk/hacking games seem geared towards.

However, if you're interested in a neat little cyberpunk game that's tiny and freeware, try Decker.

LCJr.

Erudite
Rebltedybehr wrote:

I went looking for that game recently on Underdogs, but I didn't see anything that looked remotely like the game I had. Did they update Starflight's graphics for EGA/VGA at some point?

What your describing sounds more like "Sentinel Worlds" also on HOTU. I don't recall any boarding actions in Starflight. And yes Starflight did have it graphics updated at some point.

Araanor

Liturgist
I'd like to see a FedEx game. Deliver stuff and get loot and good reputation!

Saint_Proverbius said:
I agree. There was one space faring CRPG I had back in the late 1980s for the Amiga which was really well done, but I can't remember it's name. It was interesting because you had a crew with statistics on how well they did with the starship, but you could also board other starships and fight it out on their ship as well.

The Buck Rogers game by SSI?

Yeah, someone needs to make a game where the people who work for Fed-Ex are the supreme beings of the universe. Just think how many important packages they deliver EVERY DAY. Guys must rack up a few levels even on a slow day. :P

Jed

Cipher
I just got through browsing all the Sci-Fi themed RPGs at HotU. Something I noticed is that 95% percent of all Sci-Fi themed CRPGs seem to have been made before 1992. What the fuck is up with that?

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I'd really like to see either:

a) Classical World; think Greece, Rome, Byzantium, thriving trade and civilization and all sorts of wonky privateering opportunities.

b) historically slanted dark ages, perhaps with a bit of mythology, ala Darklands. No magical wands or pixy dust. Bring on the grim subsistency feudalism!

Greenskin13

Erudite
xJEDx said:
I just got through browsing all the Sci-Fi themed RPGs at HotU. Something I noticed is that 95% percent of all Sci-Fi themed CRPGs seem to have been made before 1992. What the fuck is up with that?

Gaming trends, I assume. Like right now, we're in a WWII/Vietnam wave.

Second Chance

Liturgist
I personally prefer fantasy, but there's a second point to this question. Inside the setting itself, which disposition do you prefer?

A friendly setting where everyone knows you (Ultima 7, Ultima 6, etc)
A neutral setting where you're just a stranger (Fallout, Quest for Glory, Darklands, etc)
An hostile setting where you have to be on your toes (Ultima 5, Eye of Beholder, etc)

There's also another question: which type of mixed environment do you prefer?

Towns: lots, some, few
Wilderness: lots, some, few
Dungeons: lots, some, few

For example Fallout is a game with Few towns, Lots of wilderness and Few dungeons. Ultima 7 has lots of towns (for the size of the world map in general), Some wilderness and Some dungeons.

I usually prefer the kind of setting that fallout has, although there are obviously good games with the others.

Shevek

Arcane
1. Cyberpunk would be an excellent setting (either Noir style like Bladerunner or the more trendy stuff like Snow Crash).

2. Space is a sweet setting. I really liked Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (am currently going through Matrix Cubed) and would love to see more cRPGs do space. I would love to see a Space themed title go hard sci fi like Pohl's Gateway or Haldeman's Forever War.

I see alot of people mentioning Classical Greece. I minored (almosted double majored) in this and would love to see it in a cRPG. If someone would go this route, I would recommend pre-Classical Greece (in the time the Homeric Epics deal with or even before then) since one could better work in some of the mythology and folklore. Still, the range of emotions and the depth of character explored in alot of these works may be a bit beyond what the medium can convey (particularly if one wants young players to enjoy the title). Also, the volume of source material may be a bit overwhelming for a potential dev (not just the mythology but getting the history and, more importantly, the sociology right wouldnt be a cakewalk). Still, its a great setting.

DemonKing

Arcane
Megatron said:
Time travel would be intresting in a game though.

Hey - a Dr Who CRPG would be awesome. You play the main character (the Doctor) with joinable NPCs (the companions). Tons of monsters to deal with (Daleks, cybermen, sontarons etc etc), an archvillain (the Master) and those troublesome meddling timelords handing out quests.

Don't think it will ever happen though, although I seem to remember a Dr Who game from a few years ago - but it looked like a steaming lump of crap, so I didn't get it.

Didn't you have to go back in time in part of the NWN OC? You had to plant a tree so you could pick the fruit in the future, or something similar. Compared to the rest of the NWN OC that was Shakespeare! LOL.

Personally I like fantasy/D&D games. I think it's mainly because I miss my old D&D gaming group and fantasy CRPGs help fill in the void. Saying that, I also enjoyed Fallout. I finished Arcanum but it didn't strike me as particularly original (there had been Steampunk pen and paper CRPGs for years before) or good.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
The main problem I have with cyberpunk is it rarely has the "kick ass" factor I tend to enjoy in CRPGs. In most of them that allow it, I play a silver tongued character who can kick heaps of ass if speech fails to work. I tend to ignore the stealthy approaches that cyberpunk/hacking games seem geared towards.

yer having genre problems and i feel bad for you son... cyberpunks got 99 problems but a lack of asswhuppin' ain't one.

most of cyberpunk does revolve around shadow and conspiracy, true, but when it comes time to deal out the carnage, it wins hands down. scrawny hackers jacked up on combat drugs charging into ranks of corporate security, with a 2020 version of an mp5 just blazing. wired and wacky street samurai going to town on a barful of thugs with retractable claws and a reinforced forehead (for buttin' the punters). a quiet assasin stepping out from the safety of his light variable camo to slice a neck... cyberpunk corners the market on the meeting of ass and whup.

it's my favourite, but rarely done and yet to be done right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom