Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

DaveO

Erudite
There is an unofficial patch to MM9 from the TELP Tavern forums. A Google search should help you find it.

Testownia

ISN'T milked dry
It seems like it was milked dry in the 90's already.

I remember thinking it was milked dry when the Heroes Chronicles appeared.
But by all accounts IV was better and I know V was better, so there was still some milk left after all.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV has the best campaigns in the series, story-wise. Not the expansions, of course - those should be disregarded and ignored.

Fishy

Savant
Is Might and Magic, both RPGs and the strategy ones, the only widely popular and successful, both financially and critically, franchise that ISN'T milked dry? Is Ubisoft retarded?

It's also a franchise that imho managed to diversify/reinvent itself regularly relatively successfully. The old M&M culminated with 3-5, then 6-8 took the mainline into another direction, 9 was... right, let's not talk about 9... X seems to have sort of gone back to the older formula but not quite, Heroes is completely different, only keeping the colourful fantasy aesthetic and evolving/changing with each iteration (caveat: only played up to 5 myself, the rest being online uplay stuff), there used to be a free-to-play card game that was actually pretty entertaining, then you have offshoots like Dark Messiah and that weird anime puzzler Clash of Heroes...

If they actually put a little effort, they could work out a decent universe and keep exploring it through various angles. Not every game of the franchise will be for everyone, but that's a pretty solid lineup for something that isn't a behemoth like Star Wars.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
but that's a pretty solid lineup for something that isn't a behemoth like Star Wars.

Star What?

Might & Magic + Heroes is the most epic franchise of the modern era, nothing comes even close, the eighties had the Goldbox, the nineties and early 2000 is ruled by the M&M franchise.
And nothing took its crown since new franchises are just garbage.

Kliwer

Savant
If they actually put a little effort, they could work out a decent universe and keep exploring it through various angles.

Ubisoft has done their best to screw up the M&M universe. What they inherited was great, and great things could be done with it.
-The unique atmosphere and aesthetics of the world
- A mix of fantasy and SF
-A handful of characteristic characters.

At the same time, it was a very "open" universe. New creators were not limited to one particular world, they were not bound by any maps or a detailed history. You could write any adventures, invent new planets. Potential difficult to spoil.

But Ubisoft did it. The beautiful aesthetics were exchanged for some manga and plastic shit. The SF themes have been completely abandoned, and there has been no continuity. M&M 1-9, although very different from each other, interact with each other in terms of their plot (I love how "suddenly" in M&M7 we have a continuation of the M&M3 plot). The M&M ala Ubisoft world has no special features, it is a world made in some Fantasy World Generator. I can't believe how stupid can they be.

Mightmagic

Augur
Is Might and Magic, both RPGs and the strategy ones, the only widely popular and successful, both financially and critically, franchise that ISN'T milked dry? Is Ubisoft retarded?
3do has destroyed the RPg series and ubi soft has given the final blow. M&M X is just the exception.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As something of a storyfag for this series, it bothers me that we'll never see any kind of conclusion to all the little arcs and by-plays going on between the CPRGs and the strategy games. Plus, I never miss a chance to complain about how we should have gotten the forge for HoMM 3 and stupid whiny faggots ruined that for all true and honest M&M fans, forcing them to change it to conflux at the last minute.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There is an unofficial patch to MM9 from the TELP Tavern forums. A Google search should help you find it.

I think GoG version includes it. In any case played fine. Barebones of a good game there.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
As something of a storyfag for this series, it bothers me that we'll never see any kind of conclusion to all the little arcs and by-plays going on between the CPRGs and the strategy games.
We kind of did. Basically everyone plot important died in the end of the world at the beginning of HoMM4. Probably doesn't help your bitterness about it though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As something of a storyfag for this series, it bothers me that we'll never see any kind of conclusion to all the little arcs and by-plays going on between the CPRGs and the strategy games.
We kind of did. Basically everyone plot important died in the end of the world at the beginning of HoMM4. Probably doesn't help your bitterness about it though.
Yeah heroes 4 and mm9 are pretty much retarded from story side. Is it known why they decided to do this retardation? Story/world rights ?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Yeah heroes 4 and mm9 are pretty much retarded from story side. Is it known why they decided to do this retardation? Story/world rights ?
Just a theory, but they could have done it as a reaction to the harsh distaste the Heroes audience had towards the science fiction elements. Whether that's because they decided the audience deserved it or if they just want to give themselves an out on the sci-fi part, would be the real question about that theory. If it was story rights, I would suspect that would be caused by the management at 3DO getting pissy at Jon Van Caneghem or vice-versa, everyone else would have presumably signed their rights away when starting work at NWC.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just a theory, but they could have done it as a reaction to the harsh distaste the Heroes audience had towards the science fiction elements. Whether that's because they decided the audience deserved it or if they just want to give themselves an out on the sci-fi part, would be the real question about that theory. If it was story rights, I would suspect that would be caused by the management at 3DO getting pissy at Jon Van Caneghem or vice-versa, everyone else would have presumably signed their rights away when starting work at NWC.
Did people really disliked the sci-fi things? I mean,they were pretty low key in the games,you notice them during the final few hours if you didn't knew it beforehand. Now wizardry have really bad sci-fi elements and it feels retarded for sure. While the heroes games didn't even had sci-fi elements,only MM games. On top of that the whole blwoing up the earth and going to a new planet didn't get rid of the sci-fi elements,only the fantasy ones. Since the lore is about interstellar empire that had portals everywhere. Thus it didn't mattered on which planet they plopped them up,the sci-fi shit was still valid part of the lore. It must have been some JVC drama.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

And for that I can NEVER forgive NWC, fuck that shit. There was also the cliffhanger at the end of M&M 7, if you follow the light side. Keeping in mind that the evil ending was supposed to be canon which would have segued into the forge expansion for HoMM 3 until the non crpg fans flipped their shit and ruined it.

Did people really disliked the sci-fi things? I mean,they were pretty low key in the games,you notice them during the final few hours if you didn't knew it beforehand. Now wizardry have really bad sci-fi elements and it feels retarded for sure. While the heroes games didn't even had sci-fi elements,only MM games. On top of that the whole blwoing up the earth and going to a new planet didn't get rid of the sci-fi elements,only the fantasy ones. Since the lore is about interstellar empire that had portals everywhere. Thus it didn't mattered on which planet they plopped them up,the sci-fi shit was still valid part of the lore. It must have been some JVC drama.

I thought I read that there were a lot of Heroes fans that never played the crpgs so when the sci-fi elements cropped up they had a fit so they shitcanned the forge and redid the expansion. As a fan of both I was so looking forward to the introduction of the sci-fi elements. I guess that's what happens when you interweave genres in your story telling. I mean M&M is one gigantic bundle of fedex quests, but I'd been playing since Isles of Terra and I cared about that arcing story damnit!

Kliwer

Savant
In my opinion, alternating the plot - through cRPG and strategic games - was a brilliant move. It was amazing that the same (or similar) lands could be viewed: once from a bird's eye view (as a general), another time from a first person view (as an adventurer).

It is a pity that the two fanbases turned out to be completely separate. And it is a pity that these "strategy lovers" were listened to. This was, in my opinion, a mistake. The story and the lore count for cRPG players. Dedicated strategy players can move dragons on the map as well as potatoes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Heroes is better without mechanical shit lol. The sci-fi was never the focus of the games,it was more of a side thing that you come by once in a while. They could have kept the original world and just kept the scifi elements to the mm games.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just rerolled a new party for Might and Magic 3 and using the GOG version but the screen mouse seem a bit sluggish; I adjusted the gamespeed cycles and it runs good and looks fine and in menus the mouse is great but in the main menu and gameworld is feels really wonky... any suggestions?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just rerolled a new party for Might and Magic 3 and using the GOG version but the screen mouse seem a bit sluggish; I adjusted the gamespeed cycles and it runs good and looks fine and in menus the mouse is great but in the main menu and gameworld is feels really wonky... any suggestions?

Download dosbox-x, when installing you can chose to direct the game to your dosbox installation, direct it to dosbox x instead (you have to rename the exe to dosbox ).

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Sci-Fi elements in MM3,4 and 5 are cool
They're cool in 6 too!

I'm returning to MM6 after not doing a serious playthrough since the first time I finished it 7 or 8 years ago. Man, what a glorious game. Nice to see it still has the plurality vote for best M&M game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom