Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jackpot

Learned
Man, reading this thread is really making me want to play the game even though it's still in beta.
I don't like playing unfinished games, but then again I did play Kingmaker on release.
How finished is the game right now compared to release Kingmaker?

Codex Year of the Donut
Man, reading this thread is really making me want to play the game even though it's still in beta.
I don't like playing unfinished games, but then again I did play Kingmaker on release.
about the same, except with more unfinished classes.

Testownia

Wait until release.
Then wait another six months, since the game will be riddled with bugs.
Then wait another six months for the DLC.
Then another six months for the Eternal/Ultra/Mega Edition.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I waited about four months on P:K and was fine. Looking like that here if you want a coherent product for better or for worse. Worth the wait, some of best ever encounter design and finished parts are great.

Desiderius

Patron
I played a bit of the pirated beta I got in a /vrpg/ thread, fucked around until a bit of the Market Square so I didnt really play much, but it definetly still makes me excited for the game. I'll need to look at how all these new classes work and how viable some of them will be, because some of the archetypes I see look kinda shitty

Shitty archetypes aren’t really a thing. They were all designed for some niche and you need to figure out which ones fit the niche you need.

Shadenuat

Arcane
ok I have +40 spell pen and I can pass save, but Finger of Death does only 180 damage and 4 seems not entirely enough to kill miniboss. So she has about 700+ hp.

what other character can I testrun

5bmcOEn.jpg

You were a bitch in life Chivarro. and u die one.

ok this one I think can qualify for not a very suffer run. logic is something like
we begin as 1 vivi human (elf is not needed really, human can just grab tactic feat for another +2 even) and take point blank and precise, memorise enlarge true strike and hurricane arrows to shoot 3d8+2d6 (better sneak) crossbow. it even plinks extra 20 hp from Water Elemental. We snap into Thasillonian Transmuter to compensate for lack of +extra spells mythic, and then it's a juggle between Spell Penx2, Empower Spell > Mythic Empower & DCs (and go AT). We slot Fox Cunning for DC or Cat for ab. We empower that force punch spell and Disintigrate. Sorcerous Reflex is a must too. And Heighten Spell maybe. I taken it.
The rest goes into DC and maybe one school of your choice from Mythic. I admit I am almost ready to not even take spell focus till later because of spell juggling and transmut not needing it for a while. Maybe go transmut and socket buff spells and pick conjur/evo dc focus.
As Transmuter AT u can also Fist enemies :M

Options closed to us: enchant (heroism - you're dragging Ember with you anyway) and Illusion (be careful). Options open: force damage, direct elemental damage rays through Ember (they really only need spell pen, not dc), hasteboting, conjuring, pits, enervation, evocation (high level rainbow still fucks with enemies quite well). Obsidian Flow, Tarpool ignore SR - are transmutation. Sirocco also seems to perform well, so maybe I will try ignoring fire eventually.

Chivarro got hit with Ember & Sorcerours Reflex Enervate but Wizord could afford to even Quicken them. her fate was sealed.

Needs some polishing but I think not very suffer build (still want to drag around Ember tho).
Can't do much with damage with bugged/nonexistant wands. Want to try to turn as many things into :shittydog: as I can.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
It was ok when I played an AT, especially since you get Ascended Element only at the end of Ch.1 and it should apply to only one element type, so anything else still has to go through the DR unless you hex them or you're playing a sorc with elemental bloodline and can change the element at will and shoot, say Hellfire Ray, as ice instead of fire
Honestly I tried the classic extra dice and all that elemental dragon Sorc and I'm not feeling it. I guess items did give you a lot of that oomph in kangmaker. You can throw some rays here and there but purely focusing on it seems innefective. Increased enemy size + increased hp = :M

1 leve of Elemental Sorc is an interesting dip for melees though (use mythic to get 20 lvl ability).

I played a bit of the pirated beta I got in a /vrpg/ thread, fucked around until a bit of the Market Square so I didnt really play much, but it definetly still makes me excited for the game. I'll need to look at how all these new classes work and how viable some of them will be, because some of the archetypes I see look kinda shitty
Some of them are often even worse than standard class. Owlcats could have done something in their new gaem by gathering feedback and maybe changing thing or two, but what can you expect if they still carry broken cleric domains through 2 games at this point. Witch is a cool addition, I liked city-kit Hunter, but others don't look any exciting and just plagiarise on existing stuff.

By the by, if you want to still like some of the companions, don't play as Aeon. His ability to detect lies and pry truth from people gets a few nasty revelations about some of them.
Example u give you learn from standard dialogue. No surprises.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Really only way to use Tower Shield and retain Fighter’s unparalleled resilience and versatility* plus several advantages over base. You’ve still got full BAB and all the Bonus Feats. All depends on how good the TShields are in the setting because you’re the only one who wants them.

Most fun you can have in this game is trying to make a maligned class work by getting the design then having that aha moment.

Worst design is Eldritch Archer because it’s so mailed in and it’s still nuts to play.

* - It definitely got relatively worse when Advanced Weapon Training came out, but some of those just catch you up to where TSS already was (like the Reflex Bonus).

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
You can skip Defender’s Heart Siege if you play your cards right.
Huh, that's news to me. Is it just based on the order in which you complete the Act 1 quests?
Though I'm not sure why you would want to skip the siege, it is a terrific encounter.

Desiderius

Patron
Not the easiest on high difficulties, difficult to control your men. You still get a big chunk of EXP and loot if you skip it. Basically if you finish everything else (using the Blackwing warp) before the guy comes to get you then you can tell her you’re ready to go to the Garrison and you’ll skip Seige.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Here's an example of crafting a Relic you find on the army map with two options:
Relic Crafting.jpg

Have to remember there are far fewer stat belts and stat buffs are easier to cast with abundant casting.

Level 4 Lann lucky shot.jpg

So here we are in Daeran's house which has always been a walk in the park so don't even bother to buff. Seelah is a Court Poet (Skald Archetype) and that song boosts Will Saves and INT/CHR. +2 now, another +2 at lvl 8 and 16. Will goes up every four levels. Wizard looking a little dangerous but Lann gets a lucky crit.

Daeran's Hell House I.jpg

Rusty's like SEE! What the? Didn't catch a shot of the stats on that guy but suffice it to say, he's Ferocious. This of course the familiar Diehard situaiton where when you heal unconscious guy he's gets up triggering AoO which whacks him into death.

At this point in the game reluctantly reload for first time in a while.

Insightful Poet.jpg

This is supposed to be a pic of Seelah's Song boosting everyone's DC but got two copies of MC CHR by mistake. Ember's is high for lvl 4 too! MC is regular Aasimar since Angelfire Apostle one of the few cases where you want both the CHR and WIS boost and don't really care that much about STR or DEX. Want to be casting and Intimidating not attacking.

Ferocious.jpg

OK, got Mr. Ferocious down finally (20 AC Stunned!) should be good. Wait what hit Camellia? Get that Wizard!

Nenio Dazing.jpg

Alright, alright, Nenio takes care of business. I could get used to these slightly higher DCs.

Daeran's Hell House II.jpg

:rage:

Skald lets Seelah wear Medium Armor instead of only Light with Dirge Bard, and you still get all the spells (like Good Hope - missed that casting infinite Heroisms last time) and this boosting Will + Mental Stats song looks pretty sweet, but Skald Songs act like Rage (no Lingering), she's not getting the AC bonus she's supposed to from being in a crowd (2 or more adjacent) and the main ability of Skalds (sharing Rage Powers) also isn't working. Sooooo...

Looks like Infinitron (Crusader Shield Basher) is back on the menu boys.

Desiderius

Patron
The man (?) knows how to lay down the lawl, what can you say?
Lawlman Infinitron.jpg

Not very Athletic, but when you get to put your finger on the scales doesn't much matter.

Early BuffsDebuffs.jpg

So schmoove. Seelah's my Booter. Gets to keep her Heavy Armor, Combat Style gives her the extra Feats she needs. Move Bane Standard Mythic Dazzling. All good. And Cam staying Shaman for Hampering Hex setting up Hard Hosilla.

Looking like Bard Regill may be a thing...

Hard Hosilla Stats.jpg

Speaking of which. Check that CON. Lets get it on!

Hard Hosilla.jpg

Realized midway through that I had forgotten to rest. I realized this because I had no Channels available. We'll come back to that.

Was used to the Angelfire playthrough where the Leopard was unhittable (because Cam multiclassed right away), but here Lann took a second ZA level ( hard to pass up two feats) so Leopard is missing that all-important third level. This is potentially disastrous because Hosilla's weapon has a Fear trigger on hit and my whole strategy is built around preventing that. Cam's got it though and disaster temporarily averted. No one is coming close to tanking Hard Hosey though so need to get her down ASAP.

Laying Down the Lawl!.jpg

Seelah and Hosilla toe to toe, gotta love it. Whatta know - Seelah rolls an 11! Just enough to beat Hard Hosey's AC. Something, something, residue of design. Gonna need to fade one hit though. These are the great fights.

RNG loves me.jpg

Got there on that one (bottom left above) and again once she rose again. This time pure skill from Lann.

Epic End.jpg

Got there but not by much. Whew.

Infinidoh!.jpg

All rested up and looking forward to getting my Channels. Dammit Owlcat, time for bug report. Wait.

# of Channels a day = 3 + CHR modifier. Nailed it. We all have our flaws Infinitron. Look on the bright side - your saves will be spectacular.

And you do get WIS to Persuasion from your background.

Take 11.jpg

Look how far your background and respect for the Law can take you even with no Charisma.

Massive Entangle Radius.jpg

Found a use for Entangle. This is a tough encounter just after the Maze where there's two waves of bad guys and it's tough to avoid pulling the second. Ridiculously large size/range perfect for this.

Ranger Endurance finally working.jpg
And to end up on a positive note they finally fixed the third level Ranger ability. You now get the +2 to Athletics I reported missing the first time I played through P:K and many times after.

Desiderius

Patron
I want to play a thematically fitting(good, holy) melee fighter
obvious one is paladin
alternatives?

Why not Crusader?
aren't they mount-based? I heard mount combat isn't even in yet

No the Infinitron character I just posted is a Crusader. It's a Cleric subclass. Five extra Feats for one less spell slot you get back and way more with Abundant Casting and a Domain you can get back too if you want.

Desiderius

Patron
who is summoning the pet in your screenshots btw?

Lann is ZA 2/Drovier

Leopard is only small pet (turns medium) for better pathing. Great for Stealth scouting, Mobility checks, and early tanking.

Tbh Pal is massive fun in this setting. Martyr solves half the Bard problem and probably goes great with that Mythic that buffs teammates you damage, as long as it counts yourself. Not sure how well its working tho.

amurath

Educated
It was ok when I played an AT, especially since you get Ascended Element only at the end of Ch.1 and it should apply to only one element type, so anything else still has to go through the DR unless you hex them or you're playing a sorc with elemental bloodline and can change the element at will and shoot, say Hellfire Ray, as ice instead of fire
Honestly I tried the classic extra dice and all that elemental dragon Sorc and I'm not feeling it. I guess items did give you a lot of that oomph in kangmaker. You can throw some rays here and there but purely focusing on it seems innefective. Increased enemy size + increased hp = :M

1 leve of Elemental Sorc is an interesting dip for melees though (use mythic to get 20 lvl ability).

Some of them are often even worse than standard class. Owlcats could have done something in their new gaem by gathering feedback and maybe changing thing or two, but what can you expect if they still carry broken cleric domains through 2 games at this point. Witch is a cool addition, I liked city-kit Hunter, but others don't look any exciting and just plagiarise on existing stuff.

By the by, if you want to still like some of the companions, don't play as Aeon. His ability to detect lies and pry truth from people gets a few nasty revelations about some of them.
Example u give you learn from standard dialogue. No surprises.

Better yet, you can dip 1-2 levels of Bloodrager to get access to Bloodrage, Uncanny Dodge, armor/weapon proficiency and 20th level Elemental (Fire) bloodline power access. In fact, that might be one of the better starting classes for any melee char. Take a level of Monk for extra cheese, since Bloodragers don't need to be non-lawful. I think there's also a Mythic Feat that gives you infinite (blood)rage, which might be interesting. Can anyone confirm whether you also get access to Mighty Bloodrage by taking the bloodline mythic feat? What if you're a cross-blooded sorcerer? Do you get two level 20 bloodline powers at once? Man, the new mythic system creates the potential for so many new OP builds.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want to play a thematically fitting(good, holy) melee fighter
obvious one is paladin
alternatives?

There are a lot of choices depending on your concept like Inquisitor, Slayer (Deliverer is a holy archetype), or Warpriest. Some of these options are better than others, depending on what you want to do.

Paladin is fine for more martial focused. Warpriest and Inquisitor have slightly less raw melee ability but get higher level spell casting and more abilities.

Really depends on the vision for the character I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom