Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sell me a First-Person Shooter.

Curratum

I've been playing a lot of Insurgency: Sandstorm with my homies lately, and it's left me with a craving for more of that kind of gameplay, only without having to schedule a meetup with half a dozen friends.

Just get Rising Storm 2 Vietnam if you even enjoy Insurgency a little bit. I have both but could not really get into Insurgency and Rising Storm is a lot more playable with randoms. If you're in Europe, we can play together as well.

It's the perfect balance between autistic realism like Squad and Arma and arcade shit like Battlefield. Currently you can get a copy for literally THREE EUROS and there's 25+ maps, content out the ears.

DraQ

Arcane
Unreal - has its own charm and the rings are a good setting
Wait, what.

Black Mesa
HL1 remake. Pretty good and mostly faithful. Very mildly tacticool (same as HL1/2).
More like HL1 hollywoodified with ugly Xbox 360 aesthetics and a barrage of questionable ethics choices.
OTOH it's mostly faithful and does some things better than the original (Nihilanth, controllers, arguably Xen). Of course it does some things shittily - apache fights, scientist VOs, On a Rail, Interloper.

At the very least play the original first, it's the most prestigious option.
He has. Speaking of:
Zombra Make sure to play Half-Life: Opposing Force. Also Blue Shift, although the latter doesn't really have unique new stuff (weapons, enemies) and even misses some of the old ones.
Has pretty cool Xen segment, though.

Sin
Half-Life's ugly sibling. Graphically unimpressive for it's time, but has punchy guns and tons of interactivity. Very mildly tacticool.
Stop this nonsense, buddy. Sin's graphics are fully on par with their own time. What you should be complaining about is obviously Activision's insistence that the game ship with a million bugs. But I understand. Not everyone is equipped to appreciate its niche comic book nonsense.
Sin looks like shit compared to it's rough contemporaries (Unreal, HL), although it has some nice looking effects (Quantum Destabilizer hit effect). It also has shitty rocket launcher. It is pretty great and was very innovative at its time, though, and shouldn't be missed - graphics is not terribly important, especially in >2 decades old game.
The bugs on release are completely irrelevant now.

Red Faction
Satisfying guns and destructible environments on Mars. Very mildly tacticool.
Also worth noting that it's originally a PS2 game. Explains the graphics, but it otherwise seems like they just made a PC game and slapped auto-aim on it. Also more ‘boring’ than Quake 2.
U WOT M8.
It's a pretty cool game, way more diverse than Q2, has a lot of disitnct guns (mostly firearms, but also explosives, railgun, Flammenwerfer and some utility/melee stuff), does some rudimentary ballistics, has drivable vehicles, allows blowing holes and tunnels through walls and so on.

Blood
The bestest classic Build engine game. Somehow blends atmospheric horror and black comedy together.
Hey, you can't forget to mention that it has the worstest sequel ever, which is required playing for all First Person Action Shooter Game Hardcore Gamers.
No one cares about the sequel same as no one cares about Unreal's one. And Blood 2 is arguably even worse than Unreal 2. At least I managed to finish Unreal 2 despite feeling seriously queasy.

System Shock 1 and 2
1 is more similar to TN:SFC than conventional FPS and 2 technically has RPG elements.
Um, excuse me, System Shock is a point-and-click adventure game. Get it right!
Yeah, you point, click and shit dies. It's called an FPS.

Guncaster Vindicated (mod for Doom engine games and WADs running in GZDoom)
You get to shoot some really punchy weapons (including 8 barrel shotgun), kick upgraded clasic doom/hexen/heretic/strife enemies in the nuts, cast spells and also breath fire and fly ('cause you're a dragon).
please show us your bad dragon collection
:buildawall:
Something Completely Different But Technically FPS Tier
What did you even mean by this? Hexens are 100% FPS.
Yes, but they don't have guns and are heavily styled after fantasy RPGs/crawlers.
Eradicator
Build-ish, suffers from a lot of Quake 2's issues, but has some neat ideas going for it as well, along with rather large array of weapons.
Quake 2 doesn't have any issues.
Other than being monotonous, turbocasual ez , and having you shoot retarded space cyborgs all the time.

You, sir, have just been Flak-Checked by Unreal.
More like you razor-jacked yourself off. :incline:

Quake 2 is utterly mediocre and committee grade pedestrian, turbocasual shovelware FPS as executed by very competent dev team.
Problem?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Wait, what.
To be fair, Unreal and Halo do have some similarities.

Black Mesa
HL1 remake. Pretty good and mostly faithful. Very mildly tacticool (same as HL1/2).
More like HL1 hollywoodified with ugly Xbox 360 aesthetics and a barrage of questionable ethics choices.
OTOH it's mostly faithful and does some things better than the original (Nihilanth, controllers, arguably Xen). Of course it does some things shittily - apache fights, scientist VOs, On a Rail, Interloper.
Dafuq. ‘arguably Xen’? It was the absolute worst thing to come out of it. It's outright offensive, seriously. HURR DURR PLATFORMING BAD therefore let's play plug and switch instead. Xen is underwater, Xen is a swamp, Xen is a vortigaunt village. Xeno-emotional soundtrack. EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS!!!!! If you felt that the original Xen was tedious or frustrating or whatever, why the fuck is Black Mesa's 100 hours of repetition any better? They are the popamoliest of brain-dead retards. No sense of subtley, no sense of taste. Just ‘we can improve it by excess’.

And now you are one with the tards.

At the very least play the original first, it's the most prestigious option.
He has. Speaking of:
Zombra Make sure to play Half-Life: Opposing Force. Also Blue Shift, although the latter doesn't really have unique new stuff (weapons, enemies) and even misses some of the old ones.
Has pretty cool Xen segment, though.
I didn't read his post until after I replied. Because he's ignoring me for some reason I don't know.

Original Xen > Blue Shift Xen. Saying the opposite is just copes for the fact that you suck at platforming (of which Xen's is fucking easy, lol) and an indicator that you are an NPC who regurgitates meme-opinions. ‘Xen bad’ is the same as ‘Quake 2 worst game evar’.

Sin
Half-Life's ugly sibling. Graphically unimpressive for it's time, but has punchy guns and tons of interactivity. Very mildly tacticool.
Stop this nonsense, buddy. Sin's graphics are fully on par with their own time. What you should be complaining about is obviously Activision's insistence that the game ship with a million bugs. But I understand. Not everyone is equipped to appreciate its niche comic book nonsense.
Sin looks like shit compared to it's rough contemporaries (Unreal, HL), although it has some nice looking effects (Quantum Destabilizer hit effect). It also has shitty rocket launcher. It is pretty great and was very innovative at its time, though, and shouldn't be missed - graphics is not terribly important, especially in >2 decades old game.
The bugs on release are completely irrelevant now.
It looks like a totally normal 90s video game, retard. No, of course it's not as fancy as Unreal, nor is it complete perfection like Half-Life, but neither is any other game. If those are your standards, literally everything is shit.

Red Faction
Satisfying guns and destructible environments on Mars. Very mildly tacticool.
Also worth noting that it's originally a PS2 game. Explains the graphics, but it otherwise seems like they just made a PC game and slapped auto-aim on it. Also more ‘boring’ than Quake 2.
U WOT M8.
It's a pretty cool game, way more diverse than Q2, has a lot of disitnct guns (mostly firearms, but also explosives, railgun, Flammenwerfer and some utility/melee stuff), does some rudimentary ballistics, has drivable vehicles, allows blowing holes and tunnels through walls and so on.
Come on, it's all right but it's really just a bland Half-Life-clone with some cool gimmicks. It really isn't bullshit to say that Quake 2 has more distinct and memorable locations, and is more entertaining overall.

Blood
The bestest classic Build engine game. Somehow blends atmospheric horror and black comedy together.
Hey, you can't forget to mention that it has the worstest sequel ever, which is required playing for all First Person Action Shooter Game Hardcore Gamers.
No one cares about the sequel same as no one cares about Unreal's one. And Blood 2 is arguably even worse than Unreal 2. At least I managed to finish Unreal 2 despite feeling seriously queasy.
Unreal 2 and Daikatana are also required playing, duh.

System Shock 1 and 2
1 is more similar to TN:SFC than conventional FPS and 2 technically has RPG elements.
Um, excuse me, System Shock is a point-and-click adventure game. Get it right!
Yeah, you point, click and shit dies. It's called an FPS.
System Shock is a shitty FPS. But it's a really good adventure game. One of the best ever made, in fact. Did you even play it?

Obviously SS2 is not a point-and-click adventure game, but I'm not talking about that.

Guncaster Vindicated (mod for Doom engine games and WADs running in GZDoom)
You get to shoot some really punchy weapons (including 8 barrel shotgun), kick upgraded clasic doom/hexen/heretic/strife enemies in the nuts, cast spells and also breath fire and fly ('cause you're a dragon).
please show us your bad dragon collection
:buildawall:
You don't need a wall if you've got nothing to hide.

Something Completely Different But Technically FPS Tier
What did you even mean by this? Hexens are 100% FPS.
Yes, but they don't have guns and are heavily styled after fantasy RPGs/crawlers.
You know what else is heavily influenced by RPGs and dungeon crawlers? Doom.

Also, since when did a game need to have guns to be about shooting?

Eradicator
Build-ish, suffers from a lot of Quake 2's issues, but has some neat ideas going for it as well, along with rather large array of weapons.
Quake 2 doesn't have any issues.
Other than being monotonous, turbocasual ez , and having you shoot retarded space cyborgs all the time.
As if Retard Fraction is any better.

You, sir, have just been Flak-Checked by Unreal.
More like you razor-jacked yourself off. :incline:
I heard you have an appointment with the ASMD Shock Therapist.

Quake 2 is utterly mediocre and committee grade pedestrian, turbocasual shovelware FPS as executed by very competent dev team.
Problem?
It's just Quake 2, not Call of Duty, you fucking retard.

schru

Arcane
You're right, I meant Halo. Unreal had pretty graphics, but I didn't like it as much.
In case you didn't play Unreal for long, I'd recommend getting back to it. I also had trouble motivating myself to play it at first and it does take a while for its gameplay to develop into something more interesting, but it's worth it for the weapons later on and the level design. (And if you didn't play it and might give it a try, it's essential to disable the multitextures option in the advanced settings (accessible through the console) in the renderer used to have the visuals look right; the difference is significant: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-874#post-5703408.)

Also, Prey is supposed to be pretty good. Anyone played it?
The original Prey had a fairly original premise and some entertaining gimmicks that made the rather plain shooting feel more unusual, but in the end the game felt rather tedious.

I’m on record as a Quake2 apologist here, but even I would agree that there are definitely better FPS out there.

Surprised no one has mentioned the NOLFs yet (maybe because they’re on your list, idk didn’t read it).

Otherwise, seconding:

FEAR
Unreal
Half-Life + Opposing Force
Blood
Quake
Dusk

Calling it an FPS is definitely a stretch, but from what I know of your taste I think you might also enjoy Betrayer. It overstays its welcome, but overall it’s a really lovely and underappreciated game.

spectre

Arcane
My ideal shooter will be often stressful but rarely frantic, with a confident, measured pace, plenty of quiet moments, and excellent audio/visual feedback from the combat, like solid booms from the guns and the satisfying ping of an ejected clip. You know what I'm talking about.

I'm not that much of a FPS guy, last typical fps I actually enjoyed was Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Stalker Shadow of Pripyat might feel a bit long in the tooth, but I would start here. It's not on your list but should be.

Fallout 4 was was terrible RPG but turned out a decent shooter. You already finished F3, so you should be in tune with the decline.

Now, if you want guns that feel like guns, firefights that are actually tense, where running around blindly will have you eat a brrrt of 5.56 losing all your equipment... Escape from Tarkov. There really is no other way.
The caveat? Multiplayer only (coop preferred) and in perpetual beta with plenty of bugs still to be ironed out. This is fixable to a degree by using server emulation for single player,
and while the game is not really balanced for this, it should still eat a few dozen hours of your time until you learn all the maps and unlock a decent selection of stuff to buy.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Given everyone else named all the moderately well known good games in the genre, may as well mention Hedon. It's not ticking all of Zombra's boxes but it's easily the most I've enjoyed key hunting in a FPS given the attention of detail and well laid out levels. Difficulty modes adds some replayability too since there's even a mode centered around melee and gives you an entire new set of weapons you wouldn't normally get. Fucktons better than Ion Fury as well frankly.

nkr0pm.png

Operation Flashpoint - An amazing pseudo-open world military sim which is by far the most realistic shooter ever created that still features an actual campaign with story and everything (fuck you ARMA!). You get to engage in realistic firefights (where hitting shit is actually difficult), traverse huge islands in a sandboxy manner, operate vehicles from trucks and tanks to helicopters and boats and planes, play as spec ops, command squads, etc. Game was so good, US Army licensed the engine and its descendants for training.

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy - Excellent shooters+. Fun levels with puzzles and obstacles, can play as a shooter or go full on Jedi with lightsaber and force powers, very fun lightsaber combat.

Black Mesa (Half-Life 1), Half Life 2 - Very linear, and shooting ain't that great, but very immersive also and well designed.

Far Cry 1 - Fun game with beautiful backdrops and challenging combat. Afterwards, the series took a Ubisoft shit-dive and became some kind of open world checklist completer. But the first game is a fun sandboxy shooter.

F.E.A.R. - Shit story and kinda short, but the combat is excellent.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games - Pseudo-open world and immersive, different take on shooters, but mileage may vary accoridng to personal preferences.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Additional notes added to OP

Edit: additional notes: In general, I don't have the patience to explore and work with mods. If the game isn't good vanilla it will have a significantly reduced chance I will want to play it.

Also I am not especially looking for an "old school" shooter experience, games do not get bonus points for being old. Between a good new game and a good old game, I would probably rather try something newer first.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, so much to look at here.

DraQ

Arcane
Wait, what.
To be fair, Unreal and Halo do have some similarities.
Unreal 2 maybe.
At least it did try hard to rip something off, so it probably was Halo.
Or do you mean *you* have some some ismilarities with Halo?
:troll:
Dafuq. ‘arguably Xen’? It was the absolute worst thing to come out of it. It's outright offensive, seriously. HURR DURR PLATFORMING BAD therefore let's play plug and switch instead. Xen is underwater, Xen is a swamp, Xen is a vortigaunt village. Xeno-emotional soundtrack. EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS!!!!! If you felt that the original Xen was tedious or frustrating or whatever, why the fuck is Black Mesa's 100 hours of repetition any better? They are the popamoliest of brain-dead retards. No sense of subtley, no sense of taste. Just ‘we can improve it by excess’.
and
Original Xen > Blue Shift Xen. Saying the opposite is just copes for the fact that you suck at platforming (of which Xen's is fucking easy, lol) and an indicator that you are an NPC who regurgitates meme-opinions. ‘Xen bad’ is the same as ‘Quake 2 worst game evar’.
How to tell someone is extremely butthurt about something: you can see it clouding their mind.

A few small facts that could have stopped your pointless blind charge if you weren't too butthurt to notice them:
  • While there is some ambiguity between Xen: the border world and Xen: the chapter, the fact that I have referred to them separately should clear it up - I meant the chapter.
  • I actually like Xen (the border world INCLUDING the chapter) in HL games - always have, also always made fun of the "WAAA platforming hard" retards butthurt about it. Here on the codex. My main gripe about BM's Xen is that it's not alien enough most of the time even though it could have been if it stuck closer to the original. Hence "arguably Xen" rather than just plain "Xen". So you have mistaken me for someone else and did the flailing moron act because of that. Very entertaining.
  • The Vortigaunt village and later on the gay alien factory of endless copypasted conveyors and red lighting is part of the Interloper chapter in BM, and I mentioned that for most part it sucks bawls.
  • The Xen (the chapter) part has been greatly expanded in BM, with mostly fun and high quality stuff - complaints about the environment being less alien aside you have a grand tour of varied environments (including away team's camp) sandwiched between arrival and that hamburger-with-spires - which was just hopping down floating platforms for less than a minute in the original.
  • Blueshift Xen was welcome PRECISELY because I liked the original Xen, so more of it was welcome. And that more of it not being just platforming challenges was also welcome because shit got repetitive after a while and while it worked fine in HL1, floating platforms couldn't have floated the Xen revisit in BS. Even in the original the floaty environs quickly gave way to more planet-like ones once you ventured deeper.
  • BM's interloper actually makes a beautiful case (by being a horrible warning) for both not being able to float the entire chapter on the same shit copypasted over and over (and it doesn't particularly matter if it's platforming or conveyor rides), and against departing too far from the original (because it actually nailed the alien feel despite technical challenges).

I didn't read his post until after I replied. Because he's ignoring me for some reason I don't know.
Let us ponder this great mystardry together.
:philosoraptor:
It looks like a totally normal 90s video game, retard. No, of course it's not as fancy as Unreal, nor is it complete perfection like Half-Life, but neither is any other game.
If those are your standards, literally everything is shit.
Of course those are my standards.
I don't care what any random 90s game that bankrupted its devs and ended up with them sitting under a bridge craddling shit sandwich looked or played like. I care about stuff truly worth playing. And compared to contemporary stuff truly worth playing Sin looks stale. Thankfully only looks.

Come on, it's all right but it's really just a bland Half-Life-clone with some cool gimmicks. It really isn't bullshit to say that Quake 2 has more distinct and memorable locations, and is more entertaining overall.
How is it HL clone? By being structured FPS with plot? Why not Strife clone or whatever?
If anything HL clone should observe a few of HL's tenets - like never ever leaving protagonist's first person perspective or taking control away unless actually physically restrained (which it did not).
An meanwhile Quake 2 tried (and failed) to be HL before HL and also didn't have any interesting gimmicks or novel mechanics.
In addition to being terminally easy.

Unreal 2 and Daikatana are also required playing, duh.
Unreal 2 might get you to blow your brains out out of sheer derp of it. At least it has some diverse environments.
As for Dajkaszana you've got to give it that it's at least more imaginative than Q2.

System Shock is a shitty FPS. But it's a really good adventure game. One of the best ever made, in fact. Did you even play it?
Maybe it's a shitty FPS, but a really good game.
As for adventure game - have you ever played a point'n'click adventure game?
Genuinely curious.

Azrael's Tear is more or less half way between System Shock 1 and point'n'click adventure.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Killing Floor 2 for the coop gameplay, Doom and Shadow Warrior (the old one, not the new abominations) for classic FPS greatness.

Borian

My ideal shooter will be often stressful but rarely frantic, with a confident, measured pace, plenty of quiet moments, and excellent audio/visual feedback from the combat, like solid booms from the guns and the satisfying ping of an ejected clip. You know what I'm talking about.
Unironically, Fallout 4 fits. Fallout 4 has a few hours of relatively satisfying combat. It's only sometimes stressful, but is definitely "rarely frantic." Bullet sponges do happen, so sometimes the combat has less than excellent audio/visual feedback, but the sound design on weapons is decent. You don't even have to engage in the myriad braindead stories. It's pretty easy to essentially make fun of the game by intentionally disengaging from the stories and being a huge dick in the world.
As has been said, F.E.A.R fits that description, too.

Boleskine

Arcane
Good video that came out today. It's a solid overview of the notable retro FPS games of the past few years, lesser known titles on itch.io, and a handful of upcoming games. While most of them are "old school" there's bound to be something that suits OP's preferences.

(Or I was looking for a recent FPS thread to shill this video.)

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
How to tell someone is extremely butthurt about something: you can see it clouding their mind.

A few small facts that could have stopped your pointless blind charge if you weren't too butthurt to notice them:
  • While there is some ambiguity between Xen: the border world and Xen: the chapter, the fact that I have referred to them separately should clear it up - I meant the chapter.
  • I actually like Xen (the border world INCLUDING the chapter) in HL games - always have, also always made fun of the "WAAA platforming hard" retards butthurt about it. Here on the codex. My main gripe about BM's Xen is that it's not alien enough most of the time even though it could have been if it stuck closer to the original. Hence "arguably Xen" rather than just plain "Xen". So you have mistaken me for someone else and did the flailing moron act because of that. Very entertaining.
  • The Vortigaunt village and later on the gay alien factory of endless copypasted conveyors and red lighting is part of the Interloper chapter in BM, and I mentioned that for most part it sucks bawls.
  • The Xen (the chapter) part has been greatly expanded in BM, with mostly fun and high quality stuff - complaints about the environment being less alien aside you have a grand tour of varied environments (including away team's camp) sandwiched between arrival and that hamburger-with-spires - which was just hopping down floating platforms for less than a minute in the original.
  • Blueshift Xen was welcome PRECISELY because I liked the original Xen, so more of it was welcome. And that more of it not being just platforming challenges was also welcome because shit got repetitive after a while and while it worked fine in HL1, floating platforms couldn't have floated the Xen revisit in BS. Even in the original the floaty environs quickly gave way to more planet-like ones once you ventured deeper.
  • BM's interloper actually makes a beautiful case (by being a horrible warning) for both not being able to float the entire chapter on the same shit copypasted over and over (and it doesn't particularly matter if it's platforming or conveyor rides), and against departing too far from the original (because it actually nailed the alien feel despite technical challenges).
  • That's retarded. Xen the ‘chapter’ is only one level in the original. No one means the chapter when they say Xen. In your autistic brain it might seem like you made a clear distinction, but you really didn't.
  • I'm not going to read your post history to find out what you do and don't think about Xen. Your opinions are equally retarded, so you're just going to get thrown in the trash with every other retard. Whatever are you going to do about that.
  • What about the rest of Xen which was also boring, overly long shit, hm? Okay, Interloper was probably the worst part indeed, but the other chapters aren't good at all.
  • Emoshunal muzik and banalshitboring walks through space swamps and tunnels which are longer than the entirety of the original Xen combined AND appended to an already long game? The original was a thorough amalgam of eerie alien aesthetics, meanwhile Bowel Movement splits each aspect off into its own theme park because the developers think excess = good.
  • Blue Shift's Xen is like the rest of the game. Fine, but it does nothing interesting. Also floating platforms would have been fine, fag. Inb4 ‘um ackshully there are platfoarms, u dumb lolololololo!’
  • I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Interloper makes two cases against itself? Well, no shit. You might as well just say it makes a case from Black Mesa being total shit, which it does. If you mean that Half-Life is the one with copypasted shit, then words cannot describe how retarded you are. Inb4 ‘omg he can't read my incomprehensible nonsense he must be super dumbfag lololololololololo’

Of course those are my standards.
I don't care what any random 90s game that bankrupted its devs and ended up with them sitting under a bridge craddling shit sandwich looked or played like. I care about stuff truly worth playing. And compared to contemporary stuff truly worth playing Sin looks stale. Thankfully only looks.
System Shock 2 looks worse than Sin.

How is it HL clone? By being structured FPS with plot? Why not Strife clone or whatever?
If anything HL clone should observe a few of HL's tenets - like never ever leaving protagonist's first person perspective or taking control away unless actually physically restrained (which it did not).
An meanwhile Quake 2 tried (and failed) to be HL before HL and also didn't have any interesting gimmicks or novel mechanics.
In addition to being terminally easy.
They were obviously inspired by Half-Life, look at the hands bro. Those are HEV suit hands. I could explain what I mean by this but I'm not going to bother.

Wait, so Quake 2 is somehow closer to Half-Life than Red Faction? The same Quake 2 that has barely any story? I don't think having hubs with objectives counts as ‘trying to be HL before HL’, especially since HL itself barely does that.

As for Dajkaszana you've got to give it that it's at least more imaginative than Q2.
You keep saying this and it's never not going to be retarded. Daikatana is entertaining as dumb garbage, but Quake 2 is an actual game that doesn't make me feel dead inside.

Maybe it's a shitty FPS, but a really good game.
As for adventure game - have you ever played a point'n'click adventure game?
Genuinely curious.

Azrael's Tear is more or less half way between System Shock 1 and point'n'click adventure.
Have you? Point and click adventure games are all about picking up random shit and listening to people talk about random shit so you can figure out how to put shit and shit together to get more random shit. System Shock is that, plus an FPS. And Azrael's Tear is that, minus the FPS, making it just an adventure game again. BUT OMG ITS IN 3D THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING not really. Are RTWP RPGs actually RPGs, or are they RTS games? On that topic, Planescape: Torment is also an adventure game. It just happens to also be an RPG, but a shitty one. Sound familiar?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, that's right! Zombra, the guy who causes screams of incredulous outrage up and down the Codex for suggesting that not all games must feature a rocket launcher in the final act, is looking for a good single-player FPS.

L.O.L.

Stop sniffing your own farts. That's my #1 suggestion for a FPS to really get behind.

My #2 suggestion is 266 counts of Unignore.exe. It'll do wonders for you.

Ash

Arcane
Oh look, memes!

Old FPS are not being recommended for retro cred or whatever, they're being recommended because they're actually good gameplay-wise. There are a few modern FPS that aren't terrible, but these are few and far between.

Unreal vs Draq:

Xen is one of the most notable finales in FPS, if not the ONLY. Gonarch's Lair sucks but otherwise it's pretty great. Most criticism seems to be platforming and "pacing is slowed". Get good is what I say. The game has been moderately platforming-focused up to this point, Xen was the logical progression. With not-terrible skill Xen is actually the fastest pace in the game with super jump spam and a distinct lack of scripted stuff slowing you down on occassion like the rest of the game.

Quake 2 is good for what it is. Not quite peak golden age FPS, but way better than 95% of anything released since the mid 2000s. Its inadequacy is overstated. It has quite a few completely inadequate enemies, yet Blood is looked to as some kind of FPS holy grail when half of its enemy roster are also completely inadequate. I guess the PITA cultists overshadow that issue, and Q2 has the dumb as fuck shield belt which makes matters worse.

System Shock is not an adventure game, that's just inane to claim. There are minor parallels but real time skill-based action is the core and that changes everything. It's only remotely an adventure game if you play with a combat setting of 0 like some cuck. Otherwise combat is a major focus of the game, along with other real-time skill based gameplay (cyberspace, some platforming). Normal, non-furry people list this game as FPS if trying to place it under traditional genre labels. combat, navigation, resource management, platforming. All the classic staples. Having objectives that need to be deciphered and logic puzzles doesn't suddenly make it an adventure game. Any genre can have those. It's only an adventure game if that stuff is the focus.

Red Faction is alright, but I wouldn't recommend it as a high priority play or even mid-tier. 7/10 at best. Quake 2 is better (a little). I will say it is the only game that came close to learning the right lessons from Half-Life e.g how to do somewhat decent gameplay while having a notable realism focus, linearity focus, and storytelling focus. Only one that came close yet it itself is a failure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom