Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
i'm dropping this game since minsc is gonna be a companion, which brings BG3 down to the same level as the other games in the series

yuck

lol you think Minsc was obnoxious in the BG games? I can only guess what Larian will do with him and it makes me want to throw up.
Ok the contrary, BG and Larian writing are the same. Case in point: Minsc. It's a match made in hell.
Totally agree: as I said a while ago, Minsc is BG and BG is Minsc. To the extent people liked anything other than the gameplay or audiovisuals in BG, what they were enjoying was either the non-stop gonzo humor that Minsc epitomized or the romance options.
I think Larian is probably a bit sillier than BG2, but, as Schopenhauer's Law of Entropy goes, once you put an ounce of Minsc in a game, the game is Minsc, no matter what you started with. D:OS2 may have more Minsc than wine relative to BG2, but it makes no meaningful difference. There's a reason why, if you ask people to quote a line from BG2, the only one they can remember is "Go for the eyes, Boo!" and if you ask them to name a companion, they name Minsc. Obviously, you need some non-Minsc-level content in BG3 so that the talking animals and stupid jokes contrast against other material, but the trailer makes clear that the background mood is going to be serious Mindflayer apocalypse, but then you're going to have gender-bender mages, pygmy giant hamsters, chaotic neutral gnomes, halfling barbarians, etc. as the foreground. That's Baldur's Gate.
As I documented comprehensively for people who were complaining, Minsc is not an outlier in a game that features talking animals, constant pop-culture references (indeed, an entire character zinging Dan Quayle, in an effort to one-up FO2), and crackling dialogue like: "For someone who supposedly has her soul tainted by the evil of a dead god, you remind me considerably of a chipmunk with a sugar high and a death wish." (Delivered by a "serious" character to a "serious" character.) I think it was fair for me to describe the Baldur's Gate franchise as National Lampoon's LARP! -- the idea that BG3 should be some kind of PS:T or IWD serious RPG is silly.

I only watched a minute or two of the video, but the redcap pretending to be a sheep and the halfling (dwarf?) druid pretending to be a sheep back is tonally perfect for the series.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
i'm dropping this game since minsc is gonna be a companion, which brings BG3 down to the same level as the other games in the series

yuck

lol you think Minsc was obnoxious in the BG games? I can only guess what Larian will do with him and it makes me want to throw up.
Ok the contrary, BG and Larian writing are the same. Case in point: Minsc. It's a match made in hell.
Totally agree: as I said a while ago, Minsc is BG and BG is Minsc. To the extent people liked anything other than the gameplay or audiovisuals in BG, what they were enjoying was either the non-stop gonzo humor that Minsc epitomized or the romance options.
I think Larian is probably a bit sillier than BG2, but, as Schopenhauer's Law of Entropy goes, once you put an ounce of Minsc in a game, the game is Minsc, no matter what you started with. D:OS2 may have more Minsc than wine relative to BG2, but it makes no meaningful difference. There's a reason why, if you ask people to quote a line from BG2, the only one they can remember is "Go for the eyes, Boo!" and if you ask them to name a companion, they name Minsc. Obviously, you need some non-Minsc-level content in BG3 so that the talking animals and stupid jokes contrast against other material, but the trailer makes clear that the background mood is going to be serious Mindflayer apocalypse, but then you're going to have gender-bender mages, pygmy giant hamsters, chaotic neutral gnomes, halfling barbarians, etc. as the foreground. That's Baldur's Gate.
As I documented comprehensively for people who were complaining, Minsc is not an outlier in a game that features talking animals, constant pop-culture references (indeed, an entire character zinging Dan Quayle, in an effort to one-up FO2), and crackling dialogue like: "For someone who supposedly has her soul tainted by the evil of a dead god, you remind me considerably of a chipmunk with a sugar high and a death wish." (Delivered by a "serious" character to a "serious" character.) I think it was fair for me to describe the Baldur's Gate franchise as National Lampoon's LARP! -- the idea that BG3 should be some kind of PS:T or IWD serious RPG is silly.

I only watched a minute or two of the video, but the redcap pretending to be a sheep and the halfling (dwarf?) druid pretending to be a sheep back is tonally perfect for the series.

Not sure why people would be disparaging your points other than revisionist delusions. They referenced Newhart FFS.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Larry,_Darryl,_and_Darryl

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Larian cultists are so thick that they can't understand how adjectives work. How am I suppose to understand the difference between a spell level, character level, or a dungeon level? Despite 12 years old playing dnd everywhere. Is this a problem for you guys in real life? Do trees confuse you when I talk about the difference between spruce trees and poplar trees? Do you get confused with water levels when I talk about floor levels in my work office?

Edit: this is regarding swen and his cultists cunts not understanding how character levels, spell levels, and floor levels can all coexist.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
"you got to have a noun like teacher, house or door (or level)
then the adjective describes the noun and tells you more"
(At 0.36, but some of you should probably watch the whole video)

Larianshill

Arbiter
I still am not sure how druid wildshapes will work, and like hell I'm watching this stream again. Will it have only these 8 forms, that will stay with you for the entire game? Will they scale depending on your level? I've noticed that the wolf form is fucking huge, more fitting for a dire wolf if anything. But then, what about a moon druid, who is supposed to have powerful combat forms (as opposed to Land, who's supposed to have breadcrumbs)? I've heard Crawford say that it's supposed to have an exclusive form, but one powerful combat form doesn't seem like much.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still am not sure how druid wildshapes will work, and like hell I'm watching this stream again. Will it have only these 8 forms, that will stay with you for the entire game? Will they scale depending on your level? I've noticed that the wolf form is fucking huge, more fitting for a dire wolf if anything. But then, what about a moon druid, who is supposed to have powerful combat forms (as opposed to Land, who's supposed to have breadcrumbs)? I've heard Crawford say that it's supposed to have an exclusive form, but one powerful combat form doesn't seem like much.

I don't think they announced much about it, but they've been at least somewhat following tabletop so far, so I'd expect them to broadly follow the 5E breakdowns for the levels you can add features and CR of beasts to the wild shape, so based on the ones they've programmed, they'll likely split those up on a level progression. e.g. you can't swim until level 4, you can't fly until level 8, each step doubles the CR you can be with the first step being up to 1/4 CR -> 1/2 at level 4, -> 1 at level 8. The examples given for each step in the PHB are wolf -> crocodile -> giant eagle.

God, it felt good getting this out of my chest:

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...forums_are_a_really_depressing_sight/go9b142/

MYyzNjI.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All subreddits are the same. But... I was actually surprised as fuck when the Cyberpunk one collapsed. I thought it would continue to simp through the storm, but nope, people got pissed.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Subreddits are little better than official forums, they only attract people who are too heavily invested in whatever the topic is. And since you get downvoted to hell and back when going against the hivemind, any reasonable dissent gets instantly hidden.

Codex Year of the Donut
Subreddits are worse than lightly moderated forums by a large martin because they have implicit censorship.
People can hate your forum topic but it will still exist. If people hate your reddit post, it gets downboated out of existence.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
And yet on Reddit and Steam, 2 of the most active forums for any game, you have the highest chance of finding whatever information you're looking for regarding a game. This includes anything: leaks, tips, interviews, videos, links, guides etc. The more popular the game, the more posts there are, the higher the chance of finding whatever you're looking for. So hate Reddit all you want but it's a good source of info.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
And yet on Reddit and Steam, 2 of the most active forums for any game, you have the highest chance of finding whatever information you're looking for regarding a game. This includes anything: leaks, tips, interviews, videos, links, guides etc. The more popular the game, the more posts there are, the higher the chance of finding whatever you're looking for. So hate Reddit all you want but it's a good source of info.

I've had little success finding specific answers for certain games on Reddit. If it goes beyond superficial stuff they shit the bed. You can't even ask questions because chances are you only get nonsense answers.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Not true at all. Check the wrath of the righteous topic on the codex vs the subreddit. One has Desiderius Posting a full spoiler walk through while one still has bug complaints about kingmaker. Also a lot of subreddits have bans on leaks, and guides are usually external links anyways. Reddit is a cancer

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Not true at all. Check the wrath of the righteous topic on the codex vs the subreddit. One has Desiderius Posting a full spoiler walk through while one still has bug complaints about kingmaker. Also a lot of subreddits have bans on leaks, and guides are usually external links anyways. Reddit is a cancer

The Wrath thread is one of the most autistic threads on this forum and I sincerely hope once the game releases there will be a second thread for people who aren't sperglord munchkins that already explored every pixel of every map.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The Wrath thread is one of the most autistic threads on this forum and I sincerely hope once the game releases there will be a second thread for people who aren't sperglord munchkins that already explored every pixel of every map.
Doesn't matter how bad the codex topic is. My point is that the subreddit is worse.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Ironic that Infinitron tags me with fedoras when I’m evidently your arch-nemesis. No munchkin here, walkthrough was with autoleveled companions on Core (PnP difficulty). Everything fully spoilered.

Point being thread was responsive with accurate information in response to questions. I’m sure it’s a great disappointment to find that not everyone is retarded as you are, but no reason to let that preclude you from availing yourself of the resources available to improve at your own, special, pace.

Nigger I never even mentioned you. Calm the fuck down.
Theres other sperglords who will post wordswordswords about their favorite rollplayed half-dragon half-elf monk/vivisectionist/paladin character who can solo the entire game on Ultra Hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom