Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

sser

Arcane
Developer
I remember Kripp back when he was in a room with zero furniture talking thirty-minutes about D3 while his giant head bobbled around a malnourished body. He's come a long way.

He's got married and shit now apparently.

Married. Huge, rusticated home. Bunch of dogs. Zillions of dollars in the bank. Weird vegan diet.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why would I want to play this instead of Path of Exile? PoE is free, gets a new league with new mechanics every 3-4 months, and is not owned by asshole corporate behemoth.

Because Diablo 2 is still a great game while POE is an overly bloated pile of shit that takes the worst things from D2 and magnifies them.

J1M

Arcane
It's the observation that the assumed default camera perspective is that of a straight man. It is the depiction of mostly people (but also events) through the eyes of a straight man for the eyes of a straight man.
how dare developers
*checks notes*
develop games that cater towards the overwhelming majority of people who actually play them rather than alienating their fanbases
It's not about catering to anyone. It's about depicting the world how a straight man sees it and then inferring ...things by the framing. The most famous example is the painting Earthly Vanity by Hans Memling:
26vani11.jpg
You have painted a nude woman because you like looking at her this way, but also assume she is looking at herself in the mirror the same way you look at her, so you have named the painting "vanity". This suggests a woman is self-absorbed, duplicitous, and perhaps sexually perverse, especially when they are constantly depicted this way. It goes way beyond "I like sexy women in my video games", trust me.
But most of those paintings were commissioned or created by gay men. You started with feminism and went looking for confirmation.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Well, D2 might've been great at 1.0 or something, but currently it's also a bloated pile of shit.

While D2 can be blamed for a lot of the downfall the Diabloclone has endured, it's also the last good and stand out Diabloclone that to this day has not been surpassed. POE was always the revenge fuck against D3 and a heavy amount of its builds look like something that appeals to people that should be checked into an institution.

For all the power creeping faults LOD introduced, at least you can still play a melee build that doesn't kill everything on the screen in 0.5 seconds while moving around like a deranged psycho on bathsalts. I always lol'd when people bring up that big pile of shit they call a skill tree and how people seriously "plan out their builds" which results in the same gameplay goal of being a particle carnival. Like imagine you level up in POE and you're opening up that skill tree that resembles frizzy, unwashed long hair and actually putting your hand to your chin as you mull over, "How do I get to playing the same shit everyone else is but my main skill gem is different?"

Disgusting game.

tritosine2k

Erudite
PoE is complete garbage, btw if there was working minion system the enemies also get to use against you that'd probably show. But it's also too late for that and they copied too closely.

Last edited:
I’ve always liked the idea of POE. It’s a game I appreciate is there but struggled to sink significant time into.

You definitely have to be on the spectrum to wade through the endless bloat though. Less is more IMO.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
POE's great if you like to watch effects explode the screen in 300 different colors at once.

POE also has more in common with snorting pixie dust and pretending you're on crack than anything resembling a "RPG."

Trithne

Erudite
Even the character names are soulless!

Presumably those a test characters. But they didn't call the last one "AssHigh".
16139615028793959753779805520445.png

Well, 60 is a bit of an exaggeration, but, consider: Diablo 2 was 20 years ago, so tack on 20 years to the Amazon and looking like that now isn't so unreal.

Why the fuck would they age up the characters? Its a remaster, not a sequel. And the "its because the game is 20 years old" shit is retarded. The game doesn't suddenly take place 20 years later in Sanctuary.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
POE also has more in common with snorting pixie dust and pretending you're on crack than anything resembling a "RPG."
PoE's as much an RPG as Diablo. Anything you say against it is valid for the other.

But, one advantage PoE has over Diablo, is its much more robust character system, which allows for some serious character building and a huge diversity of builds, but has a steep learning curve.

Diablo 1 though has a better atmosphere and lore. Can't say the same about D2.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
PoE's as much an RPG as Diablo. Anything you say against it is valid for the other.

But, one advantage PoE has over Diablo, is its much more robust character system, which allows for some serious character building and a huge diversity of builds, but has a steep learning curve.

Diablo 1 though has a better atmosphere and lore. Can't say the same about D2.

POE's a well-crafted game, but it takes all the decline from Diablo 2 to interesting new lows. More mobs, more hotbutton mashing, more effects filling the screen, more asinine "build" options.

There's an argument you're not even engaging in combat for the game, but rather some kind of hellish statistical crunch nerd version of DDR.

That being said, I still think it's a solid game, just not my cup of tea. I actually completed the story (at the time I played POE), but looking up end game builds on YouTube yielded nothing but constant explosions and insta-dead mobs and I noped out.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
looking up end game builds on YouTube yielded nothing but constant explosions and insta-dead mobs and I noped out.
That's a development of the last few years. Also flashy cosmetics.

Since there's a serious farming aspect to loot, clear speed has slowly become king, helped by a slow but steady power creep. It's the inevitable conclusion of this type of game: what kills more faster is inevitably highly prized. Characters are built around it, items are chosen for it. It's not my favorite way of playing, but I don't know if I'd go back to Diablo 1's slow and steady speed.

I must say that to get to that speed, you need to finish the campaign first; it's purely endgame. And to make a character that can do it, you need some solid character building and enabling items. Sure, you can copy-paste others' builds, but I feel that doing it yourself makes it satisfying. When I played, I played solo-self-found (no trading) so I had to earn each upgrade. There's a satisfaction when your build and items you've found combine to crush your enemies properly. Shattering a whole screen is fun when you get there, it's proof that your concept is effective.

All that's just useful for mobs, and doesn't do shit against bosses. You still need to strategize against bosses, evade hits, etc. The game is quite challenging if you don't take shortcuts, despite crushing mobs. And with the endgame map system, you can always challenge yourself further with higher level maps, and add effects on maps that make it more difficult but more rewarding. To me, anyways, it's always been about the challenge.

I haven't played in a couple of years though. Heard they were aiming to reduce the speed a bit in PoE 2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
These games have to find a use for the powerful items you can get at endgame, that's the main problem of the whole genre. Scaling challenges like Shards in GD, maps in PoE, and whatever they were called in D3 help, but they don't solve the problem, just stall it theoretically infinitely. Powercreep should be avoided at all costs. There are some Diablo 2 1.0 videos on YouTube and you can check out how different the game and the pacing is then and how accelerated and kinda pointless the situation is now. The buffs to the classes and certain runewords are at fault of course.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
There are some Diablo 2 1.0 videos on YouTube and you can check out how different the game and the pacing is then and how accelerated and kinda pointless the situation is now. The buffs to the classes and certain runewords are at fault of course.

I played quite a bit of D2 in the 2000s, the progression balance was really well done. In addition to being fun, it really captured the whole gothic hellishness of the world and situation(fighting demons from hell and all) .

I played through it again recently with a friend, by the time we got to Lut Gholein(Act II) the challenge had pretty much vanished. I was really surprised, a real let-down.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anyone who argues TQ is better than PoE has never actually played D2 seriously.

Granted, i'm speaking here of PoE as it was in the beginning i haven't touched it since the six months i dumped into it when the game was first released.

Maybe it is complete shit now i don't know but i do know that TQ is a banal/shit/boring bore.

PoE was meant for and made by people who played D2 at the highest level and wanted to try to break free of the mechanical cul-de-sac D2 eventually devolved into.

It was a far better approach than D3 which went for phony MMO "difficulty".

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Anyone who argues TQ is better than PoE has never actually played D2 seriously.

Granted, i'm speaking here of PoE as it was in the beginning i haven't touched it since the six months i dumped into it when the game was first released.

Maybe it is complete shit now i don't know but i do know that TQ is a banal/shit/boring bore.

PoE was meant for and made by people who played D2 at the highest level and wanted to try to break free of the mechanical cul-de-sac D2 eventually devolved into.

It was a far better approach than D3 which went for phony MMO "difficulty".

Yo Lyrics you got me in your iggy bin or what

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dunno if it was posted in this thread, but Blizz posted on Reddit that they were looking at the feedback re:character models.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/com...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Hi all! The team has most definitely been seeing the feedback over the last day regarding some of the looks on the character models. There may be some changes in the future so we appreciate all the feedback on this. In the end, the game is a lot of ways your game and not just ours so we want to make sure we do get it right :)

Rather vague statement, "There may be some changes" but meh.

Edit: Gregz beat me to it, this is a fast movin' thread.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dunno if it was posted in this thread, but Blizz posted on Reddit that they were looking at the feedback re:character models.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/com...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Hi all! The team has most definitely been seeing the feedback over the last day regarding some of the looks on the character models. There may be some changes in the future so we appreciate all the feedback on this. In the end, the game is a lot of ways your game and not just ours so we want to make sure we do get it right :)

Rather vague statement, "There may be some changes" but meh.

Edit: Gregz beat me to it, this is a fast movin' thread.

Seeing how woke the nuBlizzard is it would take a miracle if they change Amazon into anything resembling an actually attractive female.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom