Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

tritosine2k

Erudite
The more I play the more I am impressed by GODOT (engine). AND I am not sure stripping out loading screens is preferable to this:

Recorded live with an i7-6700K and GeForce GTX 1080. The scene runs at about 90 FPS on average in 2560×1440. There's some visible flickering in the video (presumably due to a bug in the current renderer). Performance could be better as the whole level is a single mesh here. This means there are no opportunities for the engine to perform view frustum culling. With a mesh splitting solution, we can likely achieve significantly higher FPS. Note: This is a preview version and doesn't reflect the final performance or quality of Godot 4.0's renderer.

This means there are no opportunities for the engine to perform view frustum culling

Apparently this is a shared problem by REDengine hence innercity parkour is beyond the scope.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
are those same shoes you get in ending involving rogue?

No, ones that work as a double-jump, a jetpack, and levitation while aiming. They don't prevent dying from falling damage though. Sliding prevents falling damage death though.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
ib24542m6ri61.png

:neveraskedforthis:

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
who in their right mind would buy a multiplayer game from this studio? they couldn't even balance their sp right
imagine the mp starting out with only 10% of the bugs and balance issues that the main game currenly has, it's going to be another shit show but hopefully this time a much less commercially successful one

Bliblablubb

Arcane
double jump cyberware
i prefer charged mega jump. In my tests it could give both higher and longer jumps
I won't argue that double jump is superior. But my immershun sense was tingling every time I used them. It was painful, so I went back to charged.

How does V jump again midair?
This isn't Star Wars or the Matrix, physics apply in this game, even if buggy.
With rocket boots yes. With Finger's cyberware maybe, it says there are jet thingies in it (even tho it's not shown), but simply fiddling around with tendons does not allow anyone to do that. :argh:

Sticks out like a sore thumb in a game that otherwise goes for kinda sorta realism. :obviously:

Well, at least the game had bigger problems, so we didn't get a Pete Hines going: "In a game with talking zombies I don't have to explain anything to you!". :hahano:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
who in their right mind would buy a multiplayer game from this studio? they couldn't even balance their sp right
imagine the mp starting out with only 10% of the bugs and balance issues that the main game currenly has, it's going to be another shit show but hopefully this time a much less commercially successful one

The same people who still think CP is totally fine.

typical user

Arbiter
I am running now with level 50 revolver popping heads left and right. Feel like cyber-cowboy.

You can escape RDR2 but RDR2 won't escape from your heart.

:dealwithit:

Perkel

Arcane

You assume wrongly that people would buy it because it is balanced game. This will be imho just GTAonline clone. So fuck around, drive car shot someone and crash cars. Maybe some quest or two.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent

You assume wrongly that people would buy it because it is balanced game. This will be imho just GTAonline clone. So fuck around, drive car shot someone and crash cars. Maybe some quest or two.
I like that you're optimistic enough to believe the game will stay stable enough for people playing to experience any of that.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
double jump cyberware
i prefer charged mega jump. In my tests it could give both higher and longer jumps
I won't argue that double jump is superior. But my immershun sense was tingling every time I used them. It was painful, so I went back to charged.

Ha! Double-jump in games always annoys me. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU JUMP ON AIR????? GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

It is fun though - although it has to be said that the implementation in games like City of Heroes (where you could also change direction in mid-air) and Warframe is far superior to the implementation in this game.

Vatnik Wumao
I am running now with level 50 revolver popping heads left and right. Feel like cyber-cowboy.

You can escape RDR2 but RDR2 won't escape from your heart.

:dealwithit:

Cyberpunk heavily copies RDR2 anyway. The endings are obvious, particularly the one where V sacrifices himself so Johnny can live. And if you look at the ads, Cyberpunk was going to have RDR2 style encounters with the gangs in the open world once you entered into conflict with them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished it at last.
Tried the Panam and Rogue endings.
Must say I liked the Rogue one more. Felt more like an actual hardcore gig, provided closure to Rog and Johny and you get to go out with a bang!

Arulan

Cipher
I finished Cyberpunk 2077 recently.

I'll preface by stating that my hardware was able to deliver a great technical experience. Bugs encountered were relatively minor -- pedestrians and vehicles appearing or disappearing in-view, stuck UI elements requiring a reload, and some items missing data. That said, they still played a role in my perception of the world that I'll elaborate on later.

Night City is beautiful. It's certainly one of the best-looking games out there right now. The scale and density of the city are used to great effect. Ads highlight every corner of the city. Even the mountains of city waste and the decrepit Badlands are beautiful in their own way. It's one of those games where everywhere you go is a I need to take a screenshot moment. This was my first experience with ray-tracing, and it looks great.

If you have read any of my thoughts on open-world RPGs such as Morrowind, Gothic, or recently Kingdom Come: Deliverance you'll know how much I value design that reinforces a living world. Whether it's quest design that make you feel like you can try anything that makes sense (typically in addition to no quest markers), simulation-driven systems that allow you to interact with the world in logical but perhaps unexpected ways, or writing that goes above and beyond surface detail that really rewards scrutiny. In this regard Cyberpunk 2077 is a disappointment. Perhaps not more so than most open-world AAA titles, but I don't play many of these. The systems concerning pedestrian behavior, vehicle traffic, and police response are very rudimentary. This is also where the bugs come into the experience. Seeing pedestrians and vehicles seemingly appear or disappear does no favors to maintaining the illusion of the world. There is no form of logical in-world fast travel. It looks like there may have been a train rail system at one time, but it was cut to a terminal that lets click on other map points. The food vendors are largely pointless, and do not even offer the food they recommend you to order. Despite being able to buy some BDs, you can't use them. There aren't any meaningful drugs to buy. Your options for prostitution are incredibly limited, despite what is suggested. There are some surprise options in quests, but they're rare. And perhaps even more so due to player expectations.
Saving Goro for example.
The setting is inviting me to interact with it further, but doesn't hold up its end up the bargain, and thus breaks the illusion.

A minor detail, but I really appreciate the length to which the game lets you hold onto your memory of Jackie. His ofrenda, the conversations with Mama Welles and Misty, ordering his drink at the Afterlife, and other tidbits. I really liked Jackie. There was a moment after his death that I thought to call him. To my surprise the game reacted. I thought it was really touching.

Another positive note is the verticality of the environments. This does a lot to make the general exploration enjoyable, in addition to giving you a few different entrances and paths for quests. This really ramps up when you get certain cyberware.

Generally I enjoyed the variety of cyberpunk themes explored, but I felt a little at odds with how the game wants you to interact with the police. I'd have preferred some appropriate alternatives here.

If there is something that I really want to highlight it's Johnny Silverhand. I think they nailed it.
Johnny is a unique persistent companion. We're pretty used to having someone in our ear, but this is an example where the companion can steal the scene with nothing more than a smirk or how he interacts with the environment. Keanu's performance here is excellent. From an asshole to a friend, your relationship with Johnny comes a long way. He's also among some of the best writing the game has to offer. I stumbled into it by accident, but I'm really glad my ending was (Don't Fear) The Reaper. Just me and Johnny in one final suicide mission taking on fucking Arasaka!

I enjoyed my time with the game, but there is a persistent feeling that it's unfinished -- the glue to make it a cohesive whole. To really elevate it it needs to address more than just the technical problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom