Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it worth to play NWN2 main campaign?

Should I skip NWN2 main campaign?

• Total voters

pazzpazz

Novice
I remember first time I played NWN2 was at least 5 years ago:deathclaw:,but I never finish it.......

Now I just wanna "finish" this game,I heard good about Mask of the Betrayer, should I just skip the main campaign ?

And is Mask of the Betrayer really that good?

Any opinion will be helpful thanks:thumbsup:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main campaign was alright. Better than NWN1, that's a given. Some of the companions were alright, but others made me want to murder them. Story was pretty good, with some bits nicked from a book or two. *Cough* Sword of Shannara *cough*.

But yeah, worth at least a playthrough.

Codex Year of the Donut
It was terrible. Anyone convincing you otherwise is bullshitting you. Even the arguably-best part fell completely flat on its face.
Trial by combat after you've successfully defended yourself is pants on head retarded. One of the dumbest things I've seen written in an RPG.
"oh, what's that, you didn't do it? Ah well, we're just going to force you to fight for your life anyways."

Tigranes

Arcane
Just play MOTB. It's a separate campaign. It's excellent. Whether it's called an 'expansion pack' or any of that shit really shouldn't matter for you. You just want to play good games, yes? MOTB is good. That's all you need.

Aarwolf

Learned
Play it once, just to know how bad it is. Then play MOTB to see how good it is in comparison.

Also -
rocks fall, everyone dies. You're welcome.

There are alternatives now. The NWN2 OC simply isn't worth it. The mediocrity is extraordinary. If you yearn for 3D D&D 3.5 game, then play Storm of Zehir and then import that character into Mask of the Betrayer. You will get both an authentic classic D&D experience first, followed by a darker and modern plot with an engrossing narrative. Combined you will go from Level 1 to 30. There may be some minor plot holes or spoilers, but they are of no consequence. The OC is just baggage at this point. Very much like NWN 1.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Did NWN2 ever get any good modules aside from the official ones?

Miserable Panda

Educated
Play it just once, it's not that long anyways. You will experience the OG NW2 in its full glory, and you can even import your save to MOTB!

KateMicucci

Arcane
Your poll is asking the opposite of your thread title so prepare for useless responses.

NWN2 campaign sucks. I spent most of .y time on the Conan and Drow mods.

It's worth going through at least once, I'd say. From a storyfag perspective, it's nice to have this overarching storyline that continues into MOTB (although you certainly don't lose much if you go into MOTB blind). Personally I just like the way NWN2 plays, so the OC isn't really a chore for me, and exporting your save before the final battle can give you an edge in the expansion, such as better starting equipment and higher starting level (iirc). Also, I just hate having to start with a high-level character I hadn't played with properly before.

Testownia

The OC campaign also underlines just how much of a raw deal the protagonist of the first OC got, since all of his achievements were either erased or attributed to somebody else.

Lambach

Arcane
The OC is pretty OK, if you can stomach Act I, which is way too long and way too grindy. It picks up after that, but don't expect anything spectacular. It's also piss-easy because there are very few limitations on resting, to the point where in most places you can easily rest after pretty much every single fight with no drawbacks, so I definitively suggest the SoZ Makeover mod which restricts resting by quite a bit.

MotB is a must play, probably the best written vidya of all time. I'd rank it slightly above PST in that department even. MotB continues the story of the OC's protagonist, but even if you go in blind, you won't miss out on much other than some references and throwbacks to the OC (nothing you can't read on some Wiki anyway).

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wont miss out on much by skipping OC, MOTB is a must play for any RPG fan. I would also recommend Mysteries of Westgate which is really good standalone module.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've played through the OC and MotB each exactly once, tried to do it again years later but just couldn't stomach the utter bullshit of the engine itself.

E: The funniest and cleverest bit in the OC was the final boss
Giving those companions that betray you really good equipment if you tried stripping them preemptively and remarking "It's almost as if you expected them to turn on you!"

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only if you don't have anything to do with you life Comrade the entire chapter one is filler and game becomes only a bit interesting when you:

Became Knight Captain and got your own keep to build.

Pick the MOTB or even SOZ + MOTB its lot better combo, you wont miss much if you skip vanilla campaign and you can use modules to give you 20 level start and good gear if you like not really matters combat is easy in this game and you will gain levels and good loot soon.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The OC is good cheesy fun, much like a real tabletop D&D campaign should be IMO. I don't think you're meant to take it too seriously; I mean, it's all about getting that silver sword out of the main character's ass after all :D

MotB is the better written and more serious campaign with interesting new mechanics and great companions, although it has its weird parts too.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The OC is just... unexciting. It's not outright bad like Betheda games or super cheesy like Bioware games, simply lifeless. The plot feels as if it was written by a math teacher, it's the most "mundane" experience I've ever had with a fantasy game.

Skdursh

Savant
Main Campaign is kind of meh, not the absolute worst thing I've ever played, also not the complete piece of shit that some CODEX members insist that it is, but pretty forgettable overall; Although it is nice to follow up in MotB with your main campaign character as MotB is a continuation of the original campaign story and MotB is phenomenal.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
It has a really neat opening. The village fair in West Harbor is one of the better tutorial levels I've played in an RPG. It really gives a sense of belonging to your PC. Sure starting in a village that gets burned down by evil forces is an old trope (I'm spoiling nothing, you saw it coming) but it's done well here. I didn't finish the story but I remember it being ok. Not compelling enough to want to keep playing but not annoying or awful either. It's mediocre.

Sad He-Man

Educated
My main evaluation criteria for RPGs in the quality of grass. If a game has nice meadows or fields, it is worth playing. NWN2 has a passable quality of grass. A bit better than average from that time.

HOWEVER. It has absolutely lovely fairy tale-like night skybox full of shimmering stars. Therefore, I have to recommend even the otherwise overwrought and undercooked OC of NWN2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom