Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

eklektyk

Erudite
welcome to ggg,s spaghetti code ...

now go and try to buy/sell something /s

Gerrard

Arcane
Someone has actually spent money making a divination card called "The Patient" that gives "The Nurse" divination card, which gives "The Doctor" divination card, which gives Headhunter.

Not sure if memeing or retarded.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Small patch, loading times are worse than they've ever been for me.

Yeah, what ever they did, loading times are definitely up for me as well. :D

Someone has actually spent money making a divination card called "The Patient" that gives "The Nurse" divination card, which gives "The Doctor" divination card, which gives Headhunter.

Divination cards are pure bloat. This certainly sounds like someone poking fun at that system.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Small patch, loading times are worse than they've ever been for me.

Yeah, what ever they did, loading times are definitely up for me as well. :D

Divination cards are pure bloat. This certainly sounds like someone poking fun at that system.

The Patient was a whale addition iirc.

It seems to be an ongoing joke amongst the rich supporters to add as many headhunter div cards as possible.

eklektyk

Erudite
the joke with cards is to add so many of them to loot pool and thus make obtaining any specific one imposible - like 99.9% of them is pure garbage ad thers what? two hundred or more of them now?

on a brighter note preview of next patch notes is up - thers a lot of work put in there .... they fixed THRE !!! rare crashes and other stuff .. /s

not a squieeak about shittexture streaming or any ability to disable this abomination .. but mtx fixes and other bullshit is in ... of more importancve arcane surge and fortify fix after a month is finally in /huge

editty cliclkitty

and the shitshow keeps on giving:

ggg rolled yet another patch with basicly nothing in it to fix huge performance issues but they "fixed" some challenges for you ... they fixed dem reall hard ... :) fuck im still laughing ....

they had to roll back whole patch since they somehow managed to fuck up whole database and ppl lost challenges progress and all other shit and fun stuff :) man what a quality company with top notch q&a

remember to buy your supporter pack today citizen!
next legue was anounced to be on schedule somwhere mid april btw ... no mention anywhere from them about shittexture streaming :) gotta lowe quality content man :)

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
nyXoP9J.jpg

Welcome to Path of Exile, please buy supporter packs and MTXes
:prosper:

My review

I liked a few things:

-I loved the mechanic of creating my own skills by mixing gems. It really felt great when I thought out about linking Gain Life on Hit Gem with Vengeance and saw how radically it improved my character performance.
-Character building is complex and I am one of those autists that likes complexity, even if it doesn't work as is a case here.
- Liked the search option in passive skill tree.

But hated most:

- PoE takes a maxim “the best defense is a good offense” too literally. When I equipped Tabula Rasa my damage reduction went from something like 36% to 1%, but I started dying less often because my damage went up. You really only need high damage, high life, way to replenish life quickly and elemental resistance to have a good character in the game.
- Replenishing life is too easy. My character got more than 100 hp replenished per enemy hit, about 5% hp regeneration per second and some leach. Nearly all of my deaths were caused by being oneshot. It's because if you are somehow competent at character building the only way to kill you is to oneshot you, otherwise you will get you life back before enemies will finish you off. This illustrate why you should correct you design mistakes rather than design a game around them.
- When you get oneshot you usually don't know what has happened. You don't know which enemy has killed you. You can't react and it feels unfair. There is so much particles on screen that you don't always even know which enemies you are fighting. When you die game takes away 10% of you experience just to force you to grind more. Sometimes you get killed by lags.
- If you want to build you character you need to instal Path of Building because the game lies to you. It promises you that a new item will increase you damage by 20%, but in reality you get a 5% increase, the same applies to passive skill tree.
- Most of mechanics aren't explained in the game and you need to consult wiki if you want to know how most mechanics works. To add an insult to injury font on skill gems UI is not readable and it's not much fun to read what each gem does.
- I remember how in the early game I was using an AoE attack against mobs and single target attack against bosses. Quickly abandoned the idea of playing like this. If the game allowed me to use not AoE skills, it would be way better.
- Socket colors and links system sabotages the gem mixing system, which is the best part of the game. It's implemented as it is only to support online economy, not to make game more fun.
- This game has so much trash loot that you need to install a filter to get rid of it. At high level maps the filter breaks and you again have half of your screen covered in garbage. You need to instal a higher level of loot filter to deal with it.
- Don't even think about using flask strategically. When in trouble just drink them all, they will be replenished in seconds. You also need a flash which unfreezes you (I guess some builds have other ways of combating this effect), so roll a 100 currency items on a flask.
- Technically the game is free, but you need to buy extra stash space, otherwise managing inventory is a nightmare, especially when you don't know what to keep and what to throw away. At the start of the game I was collecting every card. Then I went to wiki to check which cards should I keep and which to throw away. I got seriously angry when I learned that there are like 300 of them.
- Game is highly addictive. Sadly it's addictive in the same way sugar and fat is. Most of time I spend feels wasted.
- Graphics are ugly and greish/brownish. Asset are of good quality, but they look like they were taken from an asset store and then someone put an ugly filter on them to make them all fit together.
- I know that a random generation of maps and encounters is a part of a genre, but I still didn't like it. Algorithm is trying to make maps feel different, but in reality you only have 3 types of maps: open maps, dungeon maps and dungeons with doors. Fuck dungeons with doors.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- If you want to build you character you need to instal Path of Building because the game lies to you. It promises you that a new item will increase you damage by 20%, but in reality you get a 5% increase, the same applies to passive skill tree.
PoE has a very strict opinion about the meaning of the words extra, added, increase/decrease, more/less that is not necessarily the meaning you'd find in dictionary. This leads to slightly unintuitive things like +10% increased damage only increasing your dps 3%, but this is basically a failure of language. It isn't explained in game though, so you are not entirely wrong. The lack of an official PoB is kind of ridiculous, given how good it is and how clunky it is to work with your build with the in game resources.
- Don't even think about using flask strategically. When in trouble just drink them all, they will be replenished in seconds. You also need a flash which unfreezes you (I guess some builds have other ways of combating this effect), so roll a 100 currency items on a flask.
Probably way too late for the advice to be of any use but: Beastcrafting is the best way to put antifreeze on a flask. 4 Yellow beasts is all you need to guarantee it.

but this is basically a failure of language

It's a popular game that has been out for a few years. One would think the devs would make sure that the descriptions are easy to understand. This would actually be an example of a good kind of accessibility.

Also: for a game that it's all about stacking, it's ironic that you can't stack guard skills or curses. :)

BTW: How was this game in it's golden age?

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
BTW: How was this game in it's golden age?
you would approach pack of blues with 1 rare with caution. Would also have 2 separate skills, one for aoe and one for single target dmg. Potions were never a thing though

I member when people used to form parties and combat in general didnt look like dragon ball

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also: for a game that it's all about stacking, it's ironic that you can't stack guard skills or curses. :)
You can stack curses, but you have to stack max curses first :M
It's a popular game that has been out for a few years. One would think the devs would make sure that the descriptions are easy to understand. This would actually be an example of a good kind of accessibility.
I agree, but imo there are no good words in english to describe it succinctly. At least not better than the more/less vs increase/decrease that they already use. You sort of have to show the mathematical formula for it to be clear, and that would immediately scare most people away.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
approach pack of blues with 1 rare with caution

:)

Sounds like a totally different game

Yep it was much slower paced back in the day. I think zoom zoom clear speed started around the time they added ascendancies, so about 5 or so years back.

It's an exercise in self-flagellation, builds get faster and better at clearing screens, GGG adds more one shot and on death effects to try to slow those builds down, which in turn leads to the builds getting even more murderous to avoid one shot effects.

GGG then balances things like item drops and league mechanics around the assumption of zoom zoom.

People keep saying POE2 will fix it, but if they kill the zoom zoom they'll piss off reddit and all the streamers. They'll never do it.

I agree, but imo there are no good words in english to describe it succinctly. At least not better than the more/less vs increase/decrease that they already use. You sort of have to show the mathematical formula for it to be clear, and that would immediately scare most people away.

At least they could have a build in tooltip showing results of changes like in PoB.

PoB is more fun than PoE :)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

At least they could have a build in tooltip showing results of changes like in PoB.

actually there was some drama involving pob. Guy behind it started to work for ggg, stopped updating his tool and refused to share code. This is why you see pob community edition now

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

actually there was some drama involving pob. Guy behind it started to work for ggg, stopped updating his tool and refused to share code. This is why you see pob community edition now
Pretty sure the code was open source so automatically shared, but what he refused to do was accept other people's contributions. Iirc the guy who forked it just immediately accepted a bunch of pull requests and then released it. They were actually being developed in parallel for a while, but I think original PoB is properly dead at this point.

And yeah, PoB is fun all on its own, in a strange way.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Pretty sure the code was open source so automatically shared, but what he refused to do was accept other people's contributions. Iirc the guy who forked it just immediately accepted a bunch of pull requests and then released it. They were actually being developed in parallel for a while, but I think original PoB is properly dead at this point.

And yeah, PoB is fun all on its own, in a strange way.

Theorycrafting a build on PoE is often more fun than actually playing the build itself.

Not sure if that says something more about me or the state of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom