Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Perkel

Arcane
Hub don't have many cages so like 4/5 of combatants just get up after a while and continue fight. Some can lose limb but that is pretty much it.

If constant street warfare bothers you, just leave the area. All this shit is for your entertainment alone.

Well i changed death difficulty to 2.5 instead of standard 1.0 and now most of the guys just bleed out quickly after fight dying. In order not to die someone has to patch things up.

Hub don't have many cages so like 4/5 of combatants just get up after a while and continue fight. Some can lose limb but that is pretty much it.

If constant street warfare bothers you, just leave the area. All this shit is for your entertainment alone.

Well i changed death difficulty to 2.5 instead of standard 1.0 and now most of the guys just bleed out quickly after fight dying. In order not to die someone has to patch things up.
What's the world mod you're using? It seems to change the Hub quite a bit.

Delterius

Arcane

What's the world mod you're using? It seems to change the Hub quite a bit.
does it? hub is surrounded by bandits and the lonely innkeeper has his small army of guards

Perkel

Arcane
Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Decided to play vanilla instead with some small mods for now. Desert with those overhauls feels like filled to brim with people losing that atmosphere i liked first.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah. That's something I'm not sure how I feel about.

I feel like some areas could definitely use a population boost, but still I think the wilderness should be empty.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah. That's something I'm not sure how I feel about.

I feel like some areas could definitely use a population boost, but still I think the wilderness should be empty.

Imo there are several kinds of issues:

- time speed up doesn't jive well with exploration. World of Kenshi is supposed to be huge so going from end to end should feel like voyage. Instead with this mechanic it makes world incredibly small.
- athletics are the most important stat in game. It allows you to basically go where you want aside from some places and outrun almost anything. Which means no danger in using above mechanic
- enemies/npcs don't use stealth at all. Imho active stealth should not exist in game. It should be passive stat based on what you wear in response to background env. So black ninja gear at the night with padded boots in some black marsh should be ultra stealthy while dude in huge bulky clanking armor not. There should also be fog of war kind of system where enemies only spawn when your character sees them which would also give perception something else to do that what it does now.
- imo the biggest change should actually be changing open world to fallout style map travel. This way you wouldn't be able to just exploit game mostly.
- It is way to easy to level up strenght and athletics and startign 1 of everything also doesn't make sense. Different background should have different stats. So default wanderer should have something like 10 in everything, Rock Bottom one could have 1s etc.

So all in all the most glaring issue is combination of speedup mechanic and increase amount of npcs. With that you have to literally stop game because people are EVERYWHERE. in city in desert and so on, you can hardly find scene without them which doesn't work at all with setting and lore.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Being a hashish runner between Rot and the Hub is pretty fun. Playing as a wanderer I managed to get together a group of three and I'm meticulously training them in running, carrying and battle. I'm grading the game a seven since there is no real dialogue or backbone to the story other than what you can imagine in the sandbox. It's a pretty great game, don't get me wrong. I wonder what the game hides in terms of all the land that I have not explored while I can still get owned by any group of dust bandits. So I am trying to get the contract on the Dust King done before I leave the Dustlands/Dust Bowl.

I can imagine that the different backgrounds must change the game a lot since that's what there is to it. The backbone is a sandbox in which you decide what class you play. It's one of the best survival games I've played although it needs endurance or tiredness, grit, stamina to alleviate that you can just sprint all the time which goes against what the games attempts and manages to do.

SoupNazi

It's one of the only games I have ever played where I will fight anyone who tries to judge/review it before getting at least a hundred hours in it. Even then, I'm at around 75 without any guides or even reading up about it and I feel (and been told by friends who played it, but aren't telling me what to do / giving me any spoilers) like I barely scratched the surface. And that's even before any mods.

I can see myself putting 100s of hours into this, and the two playthroughs so far were filled with small stories as well as an overarching "main quest" despite there not being one in-game. It is infinitely better at generating those than Rimworld or Mount & Blade, even though those two are also very good games and good at generating stories. The way you get defeated (but it's rarely a game over) in this game is especially a huge, and exceptional, storytelling mechanism.

Arulan

Cipher
I don't think time acceleration makes for a good experience for exploration either. Kenshi is the epitome of journey over destination.

To that end, I also think it's at its best when played with a small (4-10) group wandering the lands, not staying too long in any given place. To each their own though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Being a hashish runner between Rot and the Hub is pretty fun. Playing as a wanderer I managed to get together a group of three and I'm meticulously training them in running, carrying and battle. I'm grading the game a seven since there is no real dialogue or backbone to the story other than what you can imagine in the sandbox. It's a pretty great game, don't get me wrong. I wonder what the game hides in terms of all the land that I have not explored while I can still get owned by any group of dust bandits. So I am trying to get the contract on the Dust King done before I leave the Dustlands/Dust Bowl.

I can imagine that the different backgrounds must change the game a lot since that's what there is to it. The backbone is a sandbox in which you decide what class you play. It's one of the best survival games I've played although it needs endurance or tiredness, grit, stamina to alleviate that you can just sprint all the time which goes against what the games attempts and manages to do.
The game is really great if you are into leading a small band, and trying to carve your own place. There are literally zero other RPG that do it (except Mount and Blade, but your party are more like faceless and nameless characters in MnB).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't think time acceleration makes for a good experience for exploration either. Kenshi is the epitome of journey over destination.

To that end, I also think it's at its best when played with a small (4-10) group wandering the lands, not staying too long in any given place. To each their own though.

I agree. The best immersion is when you know the name of each party member.

Once you go above 6-8 people it starts to feel like a RTS/builder. Not a bad thing but I prefer the smaller teams.

trying to get all the old mods was driving me crazy, until i met "kenshi: genesis" and fuck everything else.
i'm planning to play this again, sooner or later, but i still miss an important piece i once modded myself but lost and forgot how to do it again and am too lazy to be arsed to look for it again: i want to start alone, still unsure if in rebirth (is this one of the vanilla start? but last time i checked i couldn't find it) or in the superjail of death in the middle of the desert. can anyone help?
rebirth was a lot of fun, until the ai bugged and forgot to heal you, or forgot to take you out of the cage forever, or mines and machines started to fill up, your character was forced to jump randomly from one to another but it took too long to reach a free one and suddenly guards started to beat the crap out of you for no reason.

Perkel

Arcane
Genesis is not finished and reading up on it is is full of prosper content. If you want some good modded vanilla+ list i can pack mine in a minute.

Here

martial arts rebalanced
katanas slighlty rebalanced
3x attack slots
hive expanded because it seems like good expansion instead of prosper
economy enchanced so thatoccasionally dudes will buy something more than bandage and gohan
dialogues expanded
let'stalk
more unique npcs tohire

Last edited:

SoupNazi

trying to get all the old mods was driving me crazy, until i met "kenshi: genesis" and fuck everything else.
i'm planning to play this again, sooner or later, but i still miss an important piece i once modded myself but lost and forgot how to do it again and am too lazy to be arsed to look for it again: i want to start alone, still unsure if in rebirth (is this one of the vanilla start? but last time i checked i couldn't find it) or in the superjail of death in the middle of the desert. can anyone help?
rebirth was a lot of fun, until the ai bugged and forgot to heal you, or forgot to take you out of the cage forever, or mines and machines started to fill up, your character was forced to jump randomly from one to another but it took too long to reach a free one and suddenly guards started to beat the crap out of you for no reason.
slave start in rebirth is vanilla but you start as a duo not solo - not that anything is stopping you from dismissing the other character
i dont think you get beaten up for moving between objectives anymore, in fact as long as you're not doing anything illegal you dont actually have to work
either way it's a cheat start because it lets you skill up in stealth, thieving, assassination and lockpicking for free and no consequences - but then again gives you a nice story and motivation for the character

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Goddammit I'm gonna have to do a rebirth start.

Think it's possible to do a 12 years a slave run?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom