Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

ferratilis

Magister
Any recommendations for less known/underrated adventure games on GOG that are worth buying? Their search function is shit, and I've played most of the Lucasarts classics, or games like The Last Express, Broken Sword, Toonstruck, and Wadjet Eye stuff. If there's something worth checking out, please recommend. Searching for "best pc adventure games" on google mostly returns idiotic lists with Arkham games or Uncharted, so I turn to Codex for recommendations. Also, I tried Telltale games and didn't really like them, and Deponia as well, but couldn't get past obnoxious characters and weird German humor.

CootKeeper

Augur
off the top of my head:
- simon the sorcerer 1 & 2 (play the "legacy" version from the goodies section when you buy the game)
- sanitarium
- beneath a steel sky (free)
- dragonsphere (free)
- quest for infamy (quite good)
- beautiful desolation

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Seconding Sanitarium, but that's best played without much prior knowledge of the game, FYI.
  • Dragon Lore
  • Goblins Trilogy
  • Noctropolis
  • The Rusty Lake series (started off as a free flash game series called Cube Escape)
Not really the most adventure-y, but The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour are fun pseudo-adventures.
Also, I could have swore the Elvira games were on GOG at one point, but it doesn't look like it...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Any recommendations for less known/underrated adventure games on GOG that are worth buying? Their search function is shit, and I've played most of the Lucasarts classics, or games like The Last Express, Broken Sword, Toonstruck, and Wadjet Eye stuff. If there's something worth checking out, please recommend. Searching for "best pc adventure games" on google mostly returns idiotic lists with Arkham games or Uncharted, so I turn to Codex for recommendations. Also, I tried Telltale games and didn't really like them, and Deponia as well, but couldn't get past obnoxious characters and weird German humor.

For modern-ish stuff I enjoyed Lost Horizon a lot.

cosmicray

Savant
Whispers of a Machine and Kathy Rain are pretty solid. The latter is better, but Whispers have some rudimentary choice system. Not sure if they matter much.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Trying not to repeat the others' suggestions (Dragonsphere!) & not sure if those really count as less known : Mission Critical, Shadow Of The Comet (insane atmosphere), Edna & Harvey (both of them). Also Night Of The Rabbit had fun puzzles. Memoria is also very good but I don't know about the english translation, original german seems to be unavailable on GOG for some reason.
Detective Gallo is charming but borderline insultingly easy, Unforeseen Incidents has a strong first half / two thirds and a terrible-shit last chapter.

Edit : just checked, The Dream Machine is on GOG. Awesome game, don't let the weaker first chapter deter you.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Shadow Of The Comet (insane atmosphere)
I'd like to point out that while this is true (and the accompanying Museum thing is amazing) the game has a very obtuse control scheme. The mouse functions more like the arrow keys, and I seem to remember it couldn't use all the actions?

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Shadow Of The Comet (insane atmosphere)
I'd like to point out that while this is true (and the accompanying Museum thing is amazing) the game has a very obtuse control scheme. The mouse functions more like the arrow keys, and I seem to remember it couldn't use all the actions?

Yeah, just move with the keyboard, it's easier. Not sure what you mean about not using all actions though. Right-click opens the upper bar and lets you choose an action, & that's it ?
I mainly used the mouse to point to be honest, all actions having a keyboard shortcut.

ferratilis

Magister
Thanks for all the recommendations. After checking my Steam and GOG libraries I realized I already own some of those games, like Kathy Rain, Whispers of a Machine and the Dream Machine (probably from Humble Bundles or free offers). Others seem interesting as well, like Shadow of the Comet, Sanitarium or Beautiful Desolation. Already played Blade Runner and Beneath a Steel Sky, but still it's nice to own Blade Runner on GOG. When I played it some years ago, it was a pain in the ass to set up and play. Amazing game, though. Fuck EA to eternity for what they did to Westwood. Anyway, now I have enough adventure games for this year, it's going to be good. :cool:

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is the Codex of all places covering up for gog's cowardly doings by splitting off all the Devotion-related posts into the members-only Drama section?

The Doritos must flow, huh...
For what it's worth (probably not much TBH, because I usually end up in the bottom 10% of donors anyway), I decided to cut my annual Codex donation by 25% because of this.

:keepmymoney:

ADL

Prophet
There's a lot of good sales and new releases right now. Latest haul.
grC4Jo2.png

ADL

Prophet
Steam page went up for Days Gone. Good chance that it releases on GOG.com too (a couple months after probably) since Sony released Horizon Zero Dawn there. Fingers crossed.

Neuromancer

Augur
Steam page went up for Days Gone. Good chance that it releases on GOG.com too (a couple months after probably) since Sony released Horizon Zero Dawn there. Fingers crossed.
So, why not instead posting the GOG link, when (and if !) it comes out, instead of posting a Steam link into the GOG release forum?

ADL

Prophet
So, why not instead posting the GOG link, when (and if !) it comes out, instead of posting a Steam link into the GOG release forum?
In the interest of not getting stuck with a Steam copy of a game that is most likely releasing on GOG, just letting anyone interested to hold off. Wouldn't have bought the Steam copy myself if I knew it'd come to my preferred service.

Dunno made sense to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom