Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1&2 remaster

?

• Good

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • There was already a thread

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There was a very brief period where we were mostly free of censors. It was glorious.

The 90s was pretty good for this. Aside from some dumb censorship laws in some western countries, you could mostly do what you wanted with content.

Worst case you'd get an angry newspaper article about your game corrupting the kids or w/e.

The 90s were the beginning of the decline, going all the way back to Mortal Kombat and the government hearings of 1993. They added the ratings system and companies started self-censoring so that their products would make it onto store shelves - no digital distribution back then. I would agree with you though that those were halcyon days compared with what we have now.

Risewild

Arbiter
Except modders now default to remasters, because their fixes are engine-level.
No, modders default to remasters because you can't get the classics without buying the remasters, and the modern gamers will not get or play the classics because "eww looks old". So new modders will just want to mod the new ones since those are the ones they play, old modders will stop modding, or mod the remasters because that's the games people play now.
Most remasters are made for games that don't need a remaster while games that do need such treatment are getting ignored so it's a false argument.
And the classic Fallout games don't need a remaster either. Still install and play on modern systems, they have mods that fix all the serious problems.
As for AoE, there's at least two attempts at remastering AoE2 alone, HD and DE. Which one is shit?
Both, although the HD is the lesser bad, it was just the same game with higher resolution. Most of the fixes it received was mostly directed to multiplayer, and to this day it still has campaign scenarios that are bugged. At least you could do the campaign on the original game without serious bugs.
It's worth noticing that the HD version was released in 2013, and only AoE 2 got it, all the other AoE games only got DE versions. HD version of AoE 2 is abandoned for years now and no new patches will come out. So the DE edition is the model of remasters these days for Microsoft, not the HD.
The DE versions of the games are total shit compared to the originals, they have some nice QoL things, but the rest is shit, it gets even worse with the new expansions.
Right, the default TTW answer to user problems is "PEBKAC". These are hacky workarounds for most glaring problems and things I listed they don't clean up for obvious reasons.
And you're deeply wrong, I don't use mods and save corrupting happened for me on default 1.02d build, not the modded RP one. BTW, can you use non-english alphabet to name player character? Nope, needs another workaround.
Right, the default user answer to problems caused by themselves. It's not me! It's the game!
We get people like this over at the TTW support every week. "My TTW is broken! Fix it!", "Please show us your Load Order and tell us what mods/NVSE plugins, mod manager, etc. you're using", "I'm not using any mods! Fix it!", "Show us your problem and/or give us your NVAC log.", "Here *shows screenshot of the game with massive texture replacers, ENB, using a weapon from CFW mod, wearing an armor from a different mod, using several different UI mods, etc.*", *facepalm*.
But you admit that there's workarounds available to "fix" the issues.

Really, do you think Bethesda could or would fix the game's bugs and problems? Look at the Skyrim remaster Bethesda made. It improved the graphics, made it 64bit instead of 32bit and slapped the Bethesda store front and the CC on it. Kept all the bugs from and created even more that didn't exist in Oldrim.
You really think they would go around the classic games and do more than just pretty the games and slap a store front on it?
Hell, players have been asking for a patch to make Steam's FO3 run properly in new systems for 10 years or more, and Bethesda can't even be arsed to do that. Players have asked Bethesda to make a remaster or remake of FO3 since FO4 was released and the answer of Bethesda was that older game are too old and have too much text, so modern players would look at it and go "WTF is this!". Do you really think that with this attitude they would make a proper FO1 and FO2 remaster?
To take Morrowind and then to completely rebuild it? It was an Xbox game. To completely rebuild it have it be relevant for today? That’s a pretty massive team doing a massive amount of work,” he explained. With a game as old as Morrowind (2002!?) it’s not just a case of brushing up the textures a bit. “You go back and look at it. Do you remember the dialogue system in Morrowind?” points out Hines. “Do you remember what it was like talking to someone and scrolling through this long list of questions. You put that out for someone that just finished Skyrim and they’re going to be like ‘What in the hell…?
Oblivion is 10 years old (back in 2016), so the amount of work for that engine and that tech to bring it and remaster it and do all the things we wanted to do was significant. It’s not impossible, but it was mountainous. It was either like, go make an entire new game or do Skyrim.
It just seemed to be a much closer path. It was the most successful game that we had ever done before Fallout 4, so it already had a huge audience.

Remember when Bethesda slapped the Bethesda.net launcher on the classic Doom game? How much do you want to bet they would definitely do the same with Fallout 1 and 2 remasters?

Tehdagah

Arcane
A Fallout 2 remaster would need an huge overhaul to fix all the bugs and make the gameplay good.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think it would be neat to see a remake in 3D on Unity or some such where the player has total camera control (ala Divinity: Original Sin) if only so that the player could more easily see all of the doors which are not facing the camera in Fallout 2.
people are giving this post NEGATIVE RATINGS because they haven't played Fallout 2 in a while and forgot how many doors are facing north/east and hidden from the player's view because the people designing the maps were bad at their jobs.
sfall comes with a script that lets you automatically open doors while pathing instead of having to manually open them

The Jester

Cipher
b1c6c9596bcd0db490dd5c90c7f26c12.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
Right, the default user answer to problems caused by themselves. It's not me! It's the game!
We get people like this over at the TTW support every week. "My TTW is broken! Fix it!", "Please show us your Load Order and tell us what mods/NVSE plugins, mod manager, etc. you're using", "I'm not using any mods! Fix it!", "Show us your problem and/or give us your NVAC log.", "Here *shows screenshot of the game with massive texture replacers, ENB, using a weapon from CFW mod, wearing an armor from a different mod, using several different UI mods, etc.*", *facepalm*.
But you admit that there's workarounds available to "fix" the issues.
Of which... nothing has to do with classic games, all are original engine issues... BTW, have 180 esps/esms and zero issues with TTW besides offensive one of not being able to play in russian and unrelated New California one when my character kept his progress. Your community seriously lack passion that SFW one has that results in thousand of mod conversions and tons of discussions. But that's unrelated. And nope, the don't steal your content, it's a lie on RoyBatty's butthurted backside. (his anus is on fire if your australian mind didn't get) Your influence is credited when it's due, not any more of that. (i.e. the "idea" of merging the wastelands)
No, modders default to remasters because you can't get the classics without buying the remasters, and the modern gamers will not get or play the classics because "eww looks old". So new modders will just want to mod the new ones since those are the ones they play, old modders will stop modding, or mod the remasters because that's the games people play now.
No, not really. Eww it's fugly doesn't work on already old games. Especially not on Infinity Engine with such beautiful backdrops. And a lot more people actually play those games than previously even with all modders effort. Modders really like it when more people actually see their work useful and remasters kinda do that even though they are actually unnecessary unlike FO1/2.
And the classic Fallout games don't need a remaster either. Still install and play on modern systems, they have mods that fix all the serious problems.
Modders do jack shit on the engine level. Less than Script Extender fixes/mods for ShitBryo engine. Александр Пошелюжин and czechs behind 1.5 Resurrection recommend to play their games in classic environment for a reason.
Both, although the HD is the lesser bad, it was just the same game with higher resolution. Most of the fixes it received was mostly directed to multiplayer, and to this day it still has campaign scenarios that are bugged. At least you could do the campaign on the original game without serious bugs.
It's worth noticing that the HD version was released in 2013, and only AoE 2 got it, all the other AoE games only got DE versions. HD version of AoE 2 is abandoned for years now and no new patches will come out. So the DE edition is the model of remasters these days for Microsoft, not the HD.
The DE versions of the games are total shit compared to the originals, they have some nice QoL things, but the rest is shit, it gets even worse with the new expansions.
... But why? And why DE is so much worse than nonremaster that HD is?
Oh really? Fans have cleaned up scripts? That's a bold lie, they didn't. The game can count beyond 2254? No it cannot. I can turn off hakunin dreams if I want to create my own story? No. Can I rename my character with cyrillic alphabet? No. Playing in Quad HD without pixelated mess that upscaling brigns? No. You lied here because you're not really paying attention to 2D titles much.
sfall comes with a script that lets you automatically open doors while pathing instead of having to manually open them
What about locked doors? Nothing. Get out, you haven't played the originals either.

Funposter

Arcane
I think it would be neat to see a remake in 3D on Unity or some such where the player has total camera control (ala Divinity: Original Sin) if only so that the player could more easily see all of the doors which are not facing the camera in Fallout 2.
people are giving this post NEGATIVE RATINGS because they haven't played Fallout 2 in a while and forgot how many doors are facing north/east and hidden from the player's view because the people designing the maps were bad at their jobs.
:O

Codex Year of the Donut
:O
also check out the speedup options if you weren't aware

The game can count beyond 2254? No it cannot.
https://github.com/phobos2077/sfall/blob/master/sfall/Modules/Worldmap.cpp#L374

Gahbreeil

Learned
Why would anyone want this?
Yes, why not. Although it should be a word for word conversion. The agenda of people who want remakes and remasters is that if a game is good while not bring new life into it. If you like the original you might like the remake as well.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Why would anyone want this?
No one wants this. Only the original 2D games with fixed bugs and visuals for modern screens. And proper endings in Fallout 1. You know, like dreaded BG:EE without dumbfuck decisions on behalf of beamfags or politically correct rewrites.

Miserable Panda

Educated
No need, they are perfectly playable. Let them butcher some other old CRPG. Besides, Bethesda already debased the Fallout franchise enough as it is.

Okagron

Prophet
I hate this remaster culture that is plaguing the video gaming hobby right now.
One of the things i hate the most about remasters now is the fact that a lot of them replace the original in digital stores, made worse by the fact that the remasters are much more expensive than the original. What if i want to buy the original in a digital store and just use mods i want to use to fix some of its issues? Nope, your only option is the remaster. There's also the possibility the mods for the original version might not work for the remaster version.

Sure, there are some games that have both the original and the remaster for sale, but the remaster replacing the original is becoming commonplace.

curds

Magister
I hate this remaster culture that is plaguing the video gaming hobby right now.
One of the things i hate the most about remasters now is the fact that a lot of them replace the original in digital stores, made worse by the fact that the remasters are much more expensive than the original. What if i want to buy the original in a digital store and just use mods i want to use to fix some of its issues? Nope, your only option is the remaster. There's also the possibility the mods for the original version might not work for the remaster version.

Sure, there are some games that have both the original and the remaster for sale, but the remaster replacing the original is becoming commonplace.
Yeah. That’s pretty much how I feel about it. Like, I don’t like the changes made to say, the BG games, but honestly I wouldn’t have given a shit about them had they not forced GOG to remove to original version.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I don't need a remaster. I would ask for an update that adds:
* More to do in Necropolis and the Boneyard. Seemed pretty empty/I expected more.
* Maybe take some from from Fallout 2 and add it to Fallout 1 to balance the length of each. These days Fallout seems oddly short while Fallout 2 seems to be gigantic.
* Inventory fixes, everything everyone mentioned before.
* Balance the skills a hair. Some are just useless.

Otherwise, if you really want to remaster something
* I could see updates to all Ultimas I - VI, but they would go too far. I'd personally like to see U3 with a U6 dialog system with more dialog and tiles like U6, but no better than U6.
* I could see a lot of 80's and early 90's rpgs, but the charm was never in state of the art graphics.
* That only leaves me with the Lands of Lore series. The first was ahead of its time, the second not so good, the third wasn't bad. Think this could be an opportunity to keep LoL1 and upscale, Improve graphics and in LoL2, fix bugs, get rid of the random size change, add a description of items just for the hell of it. Lol3 - make the same fixes as Lol3.

(Eh, who am I kidding - they will redo Fallout 1/2 so get used to it. No dwarf in the well, no selling your wife, no boning Bishops daughter, the fluffer job will stay, but no Kung Fu fighing (in fact, no Chinatown or whatever), no swearing Italian, no slavery, added unkillable annoying NPCs, the Master will have Donald Trumps head, the Cathedral will be run by those evil Catholics not the Followers, no Myron rape, no prostitutes, no Tor, no making fun of tribals by anyone, Sulik will be Irish, no ability to side with Metzger or the slavers in The Den: it's all around the corner.

Risewild

Arbiter
Your influence is credited when it's due, not any more of that. (i.e. the "idea" of merging the wastelands)
You need to read their acknowledgements again, they explicitly thank the TTW team for allowing them to use TTW assets.

Tale of Two Wastelands Team - за отзывчивость и любезное разрешение на использование некоторых ресурсов из проекта TTW. Премного благодарны!

A nice big remake of Fallout with 3D models could be interesting. Case in point, this is what Deathclaws in the original games look like:

And this is what the model for the Deathclaw in the original games look like:

ocqK8G1FZt2svmh6bsafUpO4BJcWVq0HqDXU4TAW2Io.jpg

Now that Deathclaw sprite isn't bad looking, but you could get a scan of that model today that translates into an in-game 3D model that looks exactly like that practice model today. Have the in-game models actual fall in line with the style characters faces and models were done in. Have your in-game model look like that scene at the end of Fallout with the Vault Dweller walking off into the desert. Could add different body types for the Bruiser and Small Frame traits. There's a lot of extra detail they could go into on every level today that was pretty much impossible at the time those first two games were made.

You could actually do this with everything. Not just character models either. Fallout doesn't exactly have that many locations in it, and they aren't big, so it wouldn't impossible to do something like that upcoming Mistwalker game Fantasian were they made and scanned dioramas for the environments. It's pretty impressive looking.

Fantasian.001.jpg

Now would they do this kind of stuff? Maybe not. But the possibilities of what they could do are interesting, and if it sucked it could always just be ignored.

If a Fallout remake were to ever happen and they weren't following the original one religiously, I wouldn't mind if it dropped the hex system (which made for some weird looking movement because of the view) in favor of actual distance like The Temple of Elemental Evil, or if it had stances like Tactics. Stances were something I thought could work in Fallout before Tactics after playing Rainbow Six when it came out. Having elevation be a faction in fights like Tactics could also be interesting.

You honestly cannot convince me, that a faithful 1:1 4k remaster of falout, WITH basically everything else left untouched, wouldnt be a smash fucking hit
mass consumers won't care about some shitty old-ass game. Isometric perspective? Turn based combat? What the fuck is this, some chess game from the 80s?

especially on codex.
codexers will continue playing originals because of restored content patches and other mods.

Luckily for Fallout, it's not actually isometric...it's cavalier oblique. And all the kids love cavalier oblique.

Risewild

Arbiter
Luckily for Fallout, it's not actually isometric...it's cavalier oblique. And all the kids love cavalier oblique.
It's not cavalier either. It's actually trimetric axonometric. Tim Cain doesn't know perspectives.

Here's a quick and dirty image I made to show the difference between cavalier oblique and trimetric axonometric:
0xXimHa.gif

A good way of knowing what cavalier looks like, is that the "face" or facade of buildings are horizontal and not diagonal.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom