Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Finished it at last.
Tried the Panam and Rogue endings.
Must say I liked the Rogue one more. Felt more like an actual hardcore gig, provided closure to Rog and Johny and you get to go out with a bang!
to me it felt like devs wanted either johny lives ending or arasaka one to be 'the one'.

Agree that rogue ending is best. Tried to get secret ending too but somehow it didn't work for me

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From what I've read, to access the secret one, you need to be nice to Johny (duh), finish his quests, including date and last concert (duh), but what's easily missable (I picked the other answer too), is the dialogue at the scrapyard, where you say what could be a good epitaph on his tombstone. Apparently you need to answer "the man who saved my life" or some such bullshit.
Therefore achieve 70% completion rate in the "Samurai" section (I sit at 60%).

typical user

Arbiter
From what I've read, to access the secret one, you need to be nice to Johny (duh), finish his quests, including date and last concert (duh), but what's easily missable (I picked the other answer too), is the dialogue at the scrapyard, where you say what could be a good epitaph on his tombstone. Apparently you need to answer "the man who saved my life" or some such bullshit.

I did it yesterday. When you are on a trash heap choose "the man who saved my life" then "nah fucked that up too" and lastly "as far as second chances go this is your last" then do the quests for him involving Rogue and Kerry. At the end you need to wait 5 minutes, I've heard you need to look at different elements like the gun, pills or Johnny then the dialog choices will change after this set time and he will offer the solo assault.

And quite frankly this is the best mission in the game because you finally get to kill LOTS of enemies. It finally felt like a proper FPS combat-wise. Everywhere else it was like pretending the game is hard when you mostly have to shoot 3-5 gonks who can barely leave a dent in your body. Anyway what is also interesting is the game should have autoscaling enabled. The enemies on the secret ending are level 50 and that's when the power curve was balanced. Mechs could kill me if I was reckless but so I could kill them. Even the Widowmaker iconic tech sniper rifle which shoots 2 bullets (meaning it does 200% damage compared to standard version) wasn't enough unless I charged it to full. I've played min-maxed Tech/Body build with perks which increased charge damage and bypassed enemy armor. This one mission made me want to min-max, theory-craft and play the game once more. Even Adam Smasher was enjoyable as in normal endings I would've probably one-shotted him but in the secret ending everyone was literally on the same level. I had to use cover or double jump to reach elevated position to be safe from Smasher's wrist-guns or melee attacks.

Another thing playing from level 50 which occured to me is the MaxTac has it's own combat music and only by level 50 you can stand your ground although these guys have some scripted damage multipliers. I could imagine some cyberpsycho quests were probably oriented around defending them from MaxTac or doing otherwise. It's also a letdown as I've expected those cyberpsycho gigs could work like Witcher style monster contracts and award legendary implants harvested from them (either by killing them or incapacitating them and getting those items from Regina/people doing therapy). Also cyberware has rarity levels attached, I think the idea was that basic-lower rarity implants were required before upgrading to higher levels, like we have armor or guns. Making those implants permament was probably also on the menu - as if you've installed blood-pump you can't remove it, only upgrade it. I also think ripperdocs shouldn't be one-stop shops - Viktor should only be able to install nervous-system implants like Kiroshi, smart-link, Kerenzikov or Sandevistan while others you would have to find/unlock and would do different things, like install different limb implants or specialize in netrunning/cortex/cyberdeck upgrades and have entry-level cyberware. Instead everyone can install everything, they are marked from the get-go and the only difference is they offer different legendary cybernetics and you can't even sell them the unused ones. I've finished the game and had 2 sets of legendary mantis blades FFS. The cyberware slots should also increase with level and instead of different categories it all should be homgenized, like you can install up to 10 cybernetics at max, 1 per 5 levels or something regardless of category. And have slots for your torso/head/limbs instead of 3 for your brain, 2 for your nervous system, etc.

Last edited:

Red Hexapus

Learned
I'm in the same boat as you are, sitting at 60% completion. "The man who saved my life" answer sounded like the most dick-sucking answer there, so I went with "the biggest asshole in Night City" or something. The percentage part is quite jarring as the max you can get is 70% (you get the missing 30% if you let Johnny take over your body, so yeah post-ending, when it doesn't matter anymore)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Even the Widowmaker iconic tech sniper rifle which shoots 2 bullets (meaning it does 200% damage compared to standard version) wasn't enough unless I charged it to full.

Cool info about the secret ending.
The information about Widow Maker is misleading, though. The weapon description is wrong. It fires SIX bullets per shot - as opposed to FIVE that a regular Achilles Tech Precision Rifle fires. So its actually a 20% increase in number of bullets, not x2.
Still a great weapon, particularly with its 30% poison chance.

I tend to like a Silenced Masamune more, though.

Perkel

Arcane

It is not really bullshit. It follows what he said in that hotel room talk when he gave you dogtags. It was given to him by "man who saved his life". At the scrapyard it is the most "fitting" imho tombstone epitaph. Eitherway scrapyard talk was highlight of game with few others. I didn't read anything and it was my first play-trough.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Even the Widowmaker iconic tech sniper rifle which shoots 2 bullets (meaning it does 200% damage compared to standard version) wasn't enough unless I charged it to full.

Cool info about the secret ending.
The information about Widow Maker is misleading, though. The weapon description is wrong. It fires SIX bullets per shot - as opposed to FIVE that a regular Achilles Tech Precision Rifle fires. So its actually a 20% increase in number of bullets, not x2.
Still a great weapon, particularly with its 30% poison chance.

I tend to like a Silenced Masamune more, though.
from tech weapons i had best results with lizzy gun, even if one cant upgrade it all the way

raz3r

Novice
I've finished the game after 164 hours of play, the secret ending is simply the best both gameplay and story wise. Overall it was a good experience, at least on PC, the story hit me pretty hard and in a way it reminded me of NieR: Automata.

They have very similar themes (particularly the meaning of life) but while Automata at the very end goes for a message of hope, Cyberpunk for the whole game (including the end) goes in a completely opposite direction. A very dark game indeed.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I'm in the same boat as you are, sitting at 60% completion. "The man who saved my life" answer sounded like the most dick-sucking answer there, so I went with "the biggest asshole in Night City" or something. The percentage part is quite jarring as the max you can get is 70% (you get the missing 30% if you let Johnny take over your body, so yeah post-ending, when it doesn't matter anymore)
And then, for the next answer, you have to choose the not so nice (well, honest) one. It's all oddly specific.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
The secret ending is essentially gated behind those *two exact* responses at the dump. And waiting to respond for ~5 minutes up on the balcony, something no player would ever do short of getting up to take a leak or make a sammich. It's a very odd decision on the part of CDPR, since it's clear that it's their favorite and 'canon' ending.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I refuse to suck up to Johny, just to get some ending.
That fucker is the worst part of the game (storywise).

Arulan

Cipher
I stumbled into the secret ending. I didn't suck up to Johnny at first, which is probably why my relationship percentage wasn't very high. I did answer The man who saved my life during the moment in the oil fields. By that point I felt Johnny had become a good friend, and it was appropriate. I did take some time contemplating who to call for help on the final mission, but I didn't think I took five minutes.

It maybe shouldn't be so obscure, but it is one of the rare moments where an option exists outside of what the game is telling you to do. There are probably others that I didn't find, but it's difficult when the game conditions you to expect nothing outside of what is in the quest objectives.

I'm glad I did stumble into it though. I felt it was the most appropriate ending for my character.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I stumbled into the secret ending. I didn't suck up to Johnny at first, which is probably why my relationship percentage wasn't very high. I did answer The man who saved my life during the moment in the oil fields. By that point I felt Johnny had become a good friend, and it was appropriate. I did take some time contemplating who to call for help on the final mission, but I didn't think I took five minutes.

It maybe shouldn't be so obscure, but it is one of the rare moments where an option exists outside of what the game is telling you to do. There are probably others that I didn't find, but it's difficult when the game conditions you to expect nothing outside of what is in the quest objectives.

I'm glad I did stumble into it though. I felt it was the most appropriate ending for my character.

The game does seem to be designed for you to naturally dislike Johnny at first, call him an asshole, tell him to fuck off, etc., but eventually come to like him by the time of the graveyard scene. It worked naturally for me like that anyway; the Johnny-friendly responses came naturally to me and it was a genuinely moving moment.

But there's always that cold feeling in the pit of the stomach: is this just a program manipulating me (as in Ex Machina)? That's one of the best aspects of the game, that genuinely dark and cyberpunky ambiguity.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Considering what he done (detonating a a-bomb inside a city) and why he done it, I can't see why anyone could ever think of him as a nice guy.
But what do I know. Just look at all the love letters Ted Bundy got in prison.

Vatnik Wumao
Johnny is also a deeply unreliable narrator. The flashbacks of his adventures likely never happened the way he remembers them. The source material makes this pretty clear.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Considering what he done (detonating a a-bomb inside a city) and why he done it, I can't see why anyone could ever think of him as a nice guy.
But what do I know. Just look at all the love letters Ted Bundy got in prison.

Johnny is also a deeply unreliable narrator. The flashbacks of his adventures likely never happened the way he remembers them. The source material makes this pretty clear.

The guy still nukes a city to get at ONE (not the other) corporations; 12,000 people die immediately and who knows how many more. Pacifica's construction is also halted at this time.

Johnny doesn't get a pass for jack shit but the game hates it if you go against him. Eventually I said fuck it, guy died, time served, just to enjoy parts of the game that are locked if you tell Johnny to fuck off. Not like we have another mini-nuke staying around.

Speaking of, what do ya think the DLC will be? My guess is something to do with Trauma Tower (the Hospital in Kabuki that does jack shit), the Spaceport - maybe a Space based one like we see in Far Cry or Wolfenstein or whatever, and something with Biotechnica that might be a Soylent Green ripoff.

The game really wants you to like Johnny, but is schizophrenic in how it presents his character. His introduction gives you every reason to hate him, but if you step off the main quest after that, suddenly the two of you are supposed to be best buddies, despite him trying to kill you less than 5 minutes ago. I just couldn't swallow that, they should have made his introduction more gradual instead. At least on the main quest line you can push back against him, though even then the game often made me pull my punches.

And him nuking the city does not help with that. Yeah, I heard the unreliable narrator theory, and I think that's just the fig leaf excuse to cover for the fact that CD Project is taking some big liberties with the continuity of the setting. For example, in the source material that nuke killed half a million people just in the blast, not 12 thousands like news in the game claims. They either did not do their research, or they changed this because killing that many people (mainly guilty only of being near the city center) would make Johnny an even bigger asshole than he already is.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Its not a "theory" about unreliable narrator. I consider it a fact. You just need to compare his "memories" with the events described in the source material. Even other characters in game warn you that what he says probably has little in common with what really happened.

Problem is that I just don't buy it as it is presented. Did Johnny imagine personally bringing the nuke, setting it in the elevator and arming it? I know memories change with time, but for him that was literally yesterday. Fuck, did he even know about the nuke in the source material? Wasn't it brought in the by the second team, and only used after Johnny was dead? If so, how did he know about the elevator part? That's not unreliable narrator, that's bat-shit crazy schizophrenic narrator.

Also, does anyone or anything except Alt-AI ever bring this possibility up in the game? Because I honestly don't remember anything like that. Victor, Arasaka and Johnny seem convinced he really did it. You'd think Rogue would be the one to say that's not how things went down, considering she was there, but I can't recall her ever saying anything about that. And then there's things in the world that don't add up, like the number of casualties. That goes against source material as well, but can't be explained away this way.

It's all nitpicking, I know. But what it all adds up to is that CD Project had their story to tell, and faithfulness to the source material was a secondary concern at best to them. I certainly can't blame them for that, but it does make the attempt at covering this with that off-hand one line remark by one character come off as silly. If they wanted to explore that angle they needed a hell of a lot more here to make it work after the whole game tells you a very different story.

raz3r

Novice
The issue with Johnny acting as a super buddy only happens at the very beginning if you do specific side quests immediately after the prologue, one in particular is probably meant to be done later on.

That said, I wonder how people would have reacted to Johnny if it wasn't played by Keanu Reeves. I think that alone has brought many people into trusting the character or just trying to please him. Personally I believe the 2077 (2078?) Johnny is not that bad, I mean sure he tries to kill you at the beginning of the game but I understand the guy, I mean all of a sudden he finds himself in a foreign body not knowing what the hell is going on. Bad reaction, sure, but it does fit the character and the awkward situation.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, I didn't notice nearly as large a dissonance concerning V-Johnny relations, as I've seen people claim. Maybe because I've done most side quests pretty late (Panam's quests first).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom