Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Well, that's the thing: AIs pick their actions at random. Meaning, anything with a nonzero chance of being chosen is eventually chosen. There's no overarching strategy or purpose to what an AI character chooses to do.

It can't be that hard to take character traits into account for the AIs behaviour... But of course this is PDX.
They theoretically do.

Fantastic. So their system just doesn't work and once again nobody bothered to thoroughly test it.

Judging by the trait effects, the character had high "Energy" and nothing to do with it - second son ruling a single county in a tribal duchy - so obviously the correct reaction is to start scheming against random people.

e: This is exactly what I mean. My own heir who loves me wants to kill me for no fucking reason. Yea, he's ambitious but otherwise doesn't have the traits or the skill to pull it off. Fuck this game. (He also happens to be a cynical holy warrior...)

FUCK.jpg

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
THEORETICALLY. The problem is, any non-zero iterated probability is 1. If a trait merely "reduces" the chance of something happening, it still happens because the check will be repeated until it does.
I thought it works the other way around? If the AI has an eligible trait this makes it more likely to pick a decision that's in accordance with the trait in question? The player can defy his traits' inclinations by paying with his sanity, just so he isn't pigeonholed.

Norfleet

I thought it works the other way around? If the AI has an eligible trait this makes it more likely to pick a decision that's in accordance with the trait in question? The player can defy his traits' inclinations by paying with his sanity, just so he isn't pigeonholed.
Mathematically, that's the same thing. The point is that the event has a nonzero probability, therefore, it will happen, because CK spam-checks occurrences until they do. Altering it to a different, still non-zero probability reduces how often it may happen, but not whether or not it actually does, and since all we see is a binary outcome in the end, this does not matter.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If they wanted to do weather and seasons, fine, but then they'd need to add a planting/harvesting season too. Would actually be flavorful to have reduced levies due to harvests, or issues with food shortages due to keeping people away from their fields.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on having winters factor into shit given the pacing of CK3. If it was just cosmetic that'd be marginally neat, but trying to tie it in to gameplay sounds odd since you'd either have to micromanage your armies like an absolute motherfucker, or it'd boil down to "SNOW FELL, CALL IT OFF UNTIL SUMMER LADS" and essentially all combat pauses until winter's done and the crops are planted. It's a nice idea in theory but I'm not sure of a good way of implementing it given the scope and speed of CK3 while still making it feel flavorful and historical, probably best to just leave it completely abstracted out like it is now.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's funny though, when you read about the viking invasion of Britain for example you'll stumble across "and then they wintered in xyz" constantly. It could work and would be something new that CK2 or other PDX games haven't done before.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would work in turn based game (with seperate turns for running economy and combat) but not RT one, too much micromanagement and besides there were successful winter campaigns too like Mongol Invasion of Rus for example, but if you got good logistics this would give powers like Eastern Roman Empire some chance to go against their barbarian neighbors who were forced to spend winters in their villages.

Tigranes

Arcane
The issue is that the entire combat system works like a completely unrealistic "bunch of doomstacks rolling random dice at each other jumping around squares", and there's nothing that simulates terrain, supply chains or morale or movement / logistics / organisation in any way other than random modifiers. So there's nothing meaningful you can actually do by wintering your army, except just stopping the dice rolling for a while and standing around. Depending on the era & area, wintering might mean an opportunity for mutiny and dissent, for example, or to retrain and reorganise your army to plan the next campaign, or when you conscripted might have affected the nation's harvest output direly. In CK3, what we'd do instead is just Speed x5, I guess, and click some random events about my dog biting some noble.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's funny though, when you read about the viking invasion of Britain for example you'll stumble across "and then they wintered in xyz" constantly. It could work and would be something new that CK2 or other PDX games haven't done before.

In CK2 you had huge attrition / reduced supply limits during winter (and different intensities of frost), so you had to be careful in certain areas of the map. I haven't played in the north yet, but in the Alpes it seems to be less drastic in CK3.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Are there any half decent mods for this shit yet? The player drop off is pretty fun to watch tho,it lost like 90% of its player base by now. It is just another shallow game that paradox made and people got tired of playing after a week. It is entertaining that EU4 and hoi4 do see increase in their regular player base. While that garbage stelllaris still has an ok core playerbase.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was just thinking yesterday to ask similar questions, to those who are playing it:
- is it out of unofficial early acces with regard to game balance?
- what are the changes to the core gameplay you can think of off the top of your head?
- do different cultures have their specific playing styles or is it just bland modifiers all over again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom