Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - remake from Spiderweb Software

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh yeah, this is out.

No pre-release blog post from Jeff this time. Coming to GOG later.

zapotec

Liturgist
Just installed, i have some issues with window panning when using the mouse.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm noticing a lot of new changes pretty early on. There's a lot more powerful shaper loot available from the early game and I found a 4th servile village/faction that I'm positive wasn't in the original.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I was surprised that the first Fyora tutorial area combat can be wholesale skipped with a leadership check, option not present in the original Geneforge 1
I know that fyora, I recently replayed Geneforge, so I just checked abanvaledlg.txt and abanvale.txt and you are right. So, Jeff added more checks then. Interesting.

Rafidur

Learned
Man that lazy fuck made the skills for battle alpha and battle beta the exact same. Pyroroamer and Unstable Thad have a ton in common too.

edit: this man takes adherence to the lore very seriously

rkS285T.png

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
IMO The cool stuff about GF was never the combat, which is at best serviciable –let's admit it, the idea is dope but the mechanics are shallower than fucking pokemon–, so I can't say I'm surprised about that.
Still wanna play this remake, but I'll wait for some general codexian impressions first as well as bug fixing.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Soo is the game still free of consequences from taking canisters?

Also the game feels very slow.

Exactly the same as the original in regards to cannisters. It's reactivity rather than direct consequences.

Various NPCs start pointing out the changes to your appearance as well as the god complex your character is forming.

It gets referenced in end slides as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Soo is the game still free of consequences from taking canisters?
What do you mean free of consequences? It had consequences in original geneforge.
Not in the first one,it was the only way to get skills,so you were forced to use them. It was the weakest part of the game for sure,that is why i like later games a lot more. The later games you could do a no canister run. Here even you can't open the first door without using a canister.

Rafidur

Learned
So far I've been running this comp as a shaper/blesser on torment and it's working fine:

Battle Alpha with the stun leap and defensive passives

Plated Artila for acid (could be replaced with more expensive plated clawbug)

Ur-Glaak X2 with mind control (MVPs, they let you cheese so many encounters).

Fill the rest with roamers, best damage/essence ratio apparently.

It feels kind of bad that a lot of creation abilities are duplicates or worthless, since the spell and creation list is so tiny compared to G5.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Might be true in the remake, certainly not in the original. No canister run works just fine there.

In the remake you can't even access the island without using the first Canister (Fireball). There's an automatic door stopping ye.

A No Canister run in the original can be done, I guess, but I seriously doubt you can be similarly stingy in the remake, the rebalance seems brutal for solo characters. Also fuck guys slow down, I'm barely beyond the demo areas

If I had to voice a complaint, is that playing on comfy normal makes the game less interesting as the rogues use extensively new abilities only on higher difficulties. Effort to see more varied enemy AI routines, effort

Rafidur

Learned
4xIi2A7.png

Anybody beat this encounter? Mind control cheese gets cleansed by the pylons and they two shot my creations with their aoe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Here even you can't open the first door without using a canister.
Might be true in the remake, certainly not in the original. No canister run works just fine there.
Ahhh no,you can't get spells and minions without using canisters. Also you had no perlocutions in it. Maybe if you play as pure melee guardian or maybe a ranged agent. But that way you cut out like half the combat system. I liked that in the sequels it was choice and you were able to get powerful without the canisters,i never used them after the first game.

I just checked and yeah,there was no door in the original game. Also lol,the map in the first game looks a lot better than the remake,there is a bunch of things in generally that were done better.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

In the remake you can't even access the island without using the first Canister (Fireball). There's an automatic door stopping ye.

A No Canister run in the original can be done, I guess, but I seriously doubt you can be similarly stingy in the remake, the rebalance seems brutal for solo characters. Also fuck guys slow down, I'm barely beyond the demo areas

If I had to voice a complaint, is that playing on comfy normal makes the game less interesting as the rogues use extensively new abilities only on higher difficulties. Effort to see more varied enemy AI routines, effort
Yeah,i am running a solo agent,but it feel more difficult,there is plenty of annoying enemy that stun lock you and shit. It seems our dear faggot vogel got butthurt that people just ignore his shaping system and just like to smack shit with might and magic. It is clear nurf for solo and buff for shaping.

LoL also the dumb bastard made so enemy could just respawn on the map while you are exploring other rooms,i am not talking about spammer monster sending new enemy. I mean literally they spawn in random rooms you had already cleared. I like running with "show me all" cheat and have noticed how red blops pop up lol. Another stupid thing is that you can't chose a direction to enter a cleared area,thus you are stuck with wasting time to get to the shops or quest places. Combat's animations are also super slow,which is very bad when half of the combat is watching the miss message.

Incline or Decline compared to the original?
Ahh it is the same more or less. It has a bunch of improvements and a bunch of decline too. If don't care for graphics and could tolerate the original inventory system,then it is a better game.

Jinn

Arcane
LoL also the dumb bastard made so enemy could just respawn on the map while you are exploring other rooms,i am not talking about spammer monster sending new enemy.

I've walked through the abandoned shaper school many times testing this out and I haven't seen any respawns. They might spawn while you're exploring, but if they do, there must be a limit for the area.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL also the dumb bastard made so enemy could just respawn on the map while you are exploring other rooms,i am not talking about spammer monster sending new enemy.

I've walked through the abandoned shaper school many times testing this out and I haven't seen any respawns. They might spawn while you're exploring, but if they do, there must be a limit for the area.
If you hit shift+D it will open typing window "showmeall" shows all the npcs on the minimap. I find it pretty useful to not miss some enemy and generally enjoy seeing them on the map. That shit happens on a lot of maps. They move around and are only a few,but they do respawn.

Rafidur

Learned
In some boss fights trash infinitely respawns until you have killed the boss, with no warning or adequate lore reason for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom